Carliene Stark

By Loupon

Carliene Stark is captured after the red wedding and brought to Casterly Rock where an unexpected marriage wa... More

Part I - Summer's Pain - Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Part II - Autumn's Gain - Chapter 1
II Chapter 2
II Chapter 3
II Chapter 4
II Chapter 5
II Chapter 6
II Chapter 7
II Chapter 8
II Chapter 9
II Chapter 10
II Chapter 11
II Chapter 12
II Chapter 13
II Chapter 14
II Chapter 15
II Chapter 16
II Chapter 17
II Chapter 18
II Chapter 19
II Chapter 20
II Chapter 21
II Chapter 22
II Chapter 23
II Chapter 24
II Chapter 25
II Chapter 26
II Chapter 27
II Chapter 28
II Chapter 29
II Chapter 30
II Chapter 31
II Chapter 32
II Chapter 33
II Chapter 34
II Chapter 35
II Chapter 36
II Chapter 37
II Chapter 38
II Chapter 39
II Chapter 40
II Chapter 41
II Chapter 42
II Chapter 43
II Chapter 44
II Chapter 45
II Chapter 46
II Chapter 47
II Chapter 48
II Chapter 49
II Chapter 50
II Chapter 51
II Chapter 52
II Chapter 53
II Chapter 54
II Chapter 55
II Chapter 56
II Chapter 57
II Chapter 58
II Chapter 59
II Chapter 60
II Chapter 61
II Chapter 62
II Chapter 63
II Chapter 64
II Chapter 65
II Chapter 66
II Chapter 67
II Chapter 68
II Chapter 69
II Chapter 70
II Chapter 71
II Chapter 72
II Chapter 73
II Chapter 74
II Chapter 75
II Chapter 76
II Chapter 77
II Chapter 78
II Chapter 79
II Chapter 80
II Chapter 81
II Chapter 82
II Chapter 83
II Chapter 84
II Chapter 85
II Chapter 86
II Chapter 87
II Chapter 88
II Chapter 89
II Epilogue
Part III - Winter's Reign - Prologue
III Chapter 1
III Chapter 2
III Chapter 3
III Chapter 4
III Chapter 5
III Chapter 6
III Chapter 7
III Chapter 8
III Chapter 9
III Chapter 10
III Chapter 11 - Under Construction
III Chapter 12
III Chapter 13
III Chapter 14

Chapter 55

2.2K 71 1
By Loupon

Carliene

The next days proved rather a bit chaotic. At first I was told the Lannisters were preparing to travel to King's Landing for the funeral, but the amount of things they were packing told a different story. They loaded large wagons with chest after chest and even some furniture. At times I wondered wether I should be packing as well, though no one had said anything to me.

So I found myself sitting in the maester's chamber once more.

"Do the Lannisters mean to move to the capital indefinitely?" I asked him as he tended to my hand. 

"Lord Kevan wishes to attend his brother's funeral, as is understandable. After that I can imagine there are still a few arrangements to be made" Creylen skilfully said without actually answering my question. 

"What kind of arrangements?"

He chuckled. "You are rather curious" he noted. "Maybe you should ask Lord Kevan himself" He rewrapped my hand. Then he raised my chin to look at my eye. "It looks rather frightening"

His honesty surprised me a little. "Good" I turned my head from his touch.

He hummed to himself again and cleaned my old bandage and the tool he had used. I tanked him and went out into the rookery, deciding to pay a visit to the raven.

"Crow! Crow! Crow" it greeted me, flapping its uninjured wing.

"Raven. Raven. Raven" I retorted and held out my good had to him. 

"Feed?" it eyed my hand before pecking at my fingers carefully.

I shook my head. "Sorry, I'll smuggle you out a piece of bread next time" I promised with a smile, finding it a good idea. 

I tired pulling my hand away but to my surprise the raven hopped onto it with surprising accuracy. I tensed at the feeling of its claws against my naked skin, not sure how I felt about it suddenly being so close to me. I heard of ravens pecking out peoples eyes.

"Feed?" it turned its head to look at me. 

I took a few steps to the balcony, fascinated with how the bird balanced on my arm as I walked. Some lords liked hunting with falcons or eagles and I suddenly understood what was so special about owning a bird. A tame bird. For they are creatures who can sail through the sky, the culmination of freedom. And yet they bend to your will and are tame to you. It is a very arrogant thing to do.
A small commotion in the yard bellow caught my eye. It was Lord Kevan yelling at a servant boy who was holding a crate of something. I couldn't tell what exactly the commotion was about, but I had the feeling that it wasn't anything too major. Still Kevan's face was red with anger and his arms were thrown around in wild gestures.

His grief shows as anger, I realised. I could almost pity him. But my private joy overthrew pity. I was glad Tywin was dead. He had planned the atrocities done to my family after all. And I could still feel my cheek burning from where he had slapped me.

I only wish I could have looked into his eyes as he died. To see his fear when he realised that it was all ending.

"You can shit gold all you want, look where it gets you" I said to the raven as I walked it back to it's seat. "The mighty Tywin is dead and I'm still standing" I whispered to it almost giddily.

"Crow" I squeaked as it stepped onto the iron pole and turned around to see wether I had anything of interest in my hand now.

"Until next time my feathery friend" I said to it before leaving the tower. 

As I got to the bottom I noticed Ser Oliver leaning against the wall of a neighbouring building. He was already deep in his wineskin again. 

The sellsword, the knight and the drunk, someone should really write a song about my guards.

Kevan

It was the night before our departure and Dorna had insisted on us all coming together for supper.

"Don't you worry yourself, I'm leaving Brayla with you. She's going to take the best of care of you and your child" my wife told the Stark girl for what felt like the tenth time.

"Who will take command of the castle in your absence?" the girl turned to me curiously. 

I sighed. I disliked discussing my arrangements with her, but I couldn't deny that she had some right to know at least some of it. 

"Ser Broom will hold the castle, until Jamie returns" I sated watching her reaction. 

She gulped noiselessly, clearly disappointed. What had she hoped I would give command to her?

"He'll take his place as Warden of the West and Lord of Casterly Rock"

"And I assume you'll be named Hand of the King" it was more of a statement than a question. She's too clever for her own good.

"I'm going to King's Landing to pay my respects to my brother and to bring his bones home" I growled through my teeth, not knowing why I was explaining myself to her.

"It'll be a splendid place for Martyn and Janei, so much to learn, so many opportunities" Dorna said with exaggerated enthusiasm to calm the situation.

I was expecting the Stark girl to give some smart remark about how her family had found their doom in the capital, but to my relief she stayed quiet.

"Surely there'll be some lovely suitors for you dear" she continued, giving a loving smile to Janei. 

Sometimes she talked just for the sake of talking. 

"Mother" Janei's cheeks grew red and she looked away in embarrassment. Under different circumstances it might have amused me. 

"Oh what? You are nearly a woman, the royal court is the best place to find a suitable husband"

I quite disagreed. I would prefer a match to once of the houses loyal to the Lannisters. A strong house in the west. But I did not feel like discussing it with Dorna in front of the Stark girl.

The rest of supper went by unremarkable. Dorna tried to lighten the mood by making silly conversation, mostly with Janei. Martyn was silent as ever and Carliene only got involved enough to not seem rude.

"I'll be in my study, there are still some last things I need to take care of" I explained as Dorna gathered the children to send them to bed after supper. "Good evening, my Ladies" I excused myself quickly. I still had some letters to write and send to the Lannister bannermen, with temporary orders as I imagined Tywin would have given.

"Lord Kevan" 

I sighed internally and kept walking, pretending I hadn't heard. I did not wish to talk or see this girl more than was nesseccary at the moment. She was happy that my brother was dead and knowing that only made me mad.

"Lord Kevan!" she was catching up as it sounded closer.

I figured that I could not pretend any longer so I stopped and turned with an annoyed frown. "What is it?"

She looked a bit taken aback by my mood. "I.. I simply wanted to offer my condolences. I fear I haven't had the chance yet"

I balled my fists in anger. "Spare me your false niceties" I snapped. "You held no love for my brother, you are glad he is dead, don't pretend otherwise"

Her eyes filled with surprise. Before she could deny it and make me ever angrier I decided the best thing was to just walk away. I was against hitting women, but in that moment I felt I was not far from it. 

"Wait!"

I clenched my jaw and turned back around. 

"You're right" she admitted, taking a step towards me. "I'm not sorry for Tywin Lannister's death"

I appreciated her honesty but it really didn't make me feel any better at that moment. I inhaled to tell her my disscontempt but she continued before I could speak.

"But I am sorry you lost your brother. I know what that feels like" 

My mouth shut again. My mind trying to make sense of her words and what she hopped to achieve by speaking them.

"So I offer my condolences"

I sifted through my mind for a fitting response but came up with nothing.

She balled her fists nervously at the silence, before bowing and walking off.

Kindness, I realised. After all the tragedies and underneath all that hate and grief and doubt, somewhere underneath it all she was kind. Sadly it was a trait not often rewarded by the gods. Too often was kindness confused with weakness, so people learned not to be kind in order to survive.

I only hoped that I could convince my nephew to return to the rock and that they might find some kind of contempt in their child. Maybe over time it would even sprout into something more. For they were both capable of compassion beneath their pride and stubbornness. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 268 9
"𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑, 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄, 𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐄𝐋𝐒𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐅𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐌𝐀𝐍?" ☆ ...
780K 25.2K 48
they married for duty. they ruled for the realm. they fought for justice. but they healed for each other. A story in which two broken souls, brought...
41.2K 1.8K 16
The Rogue Prince has lost his wife in a terrible accident which leaves him the option to remarry. Lady Anastasia Tully is a kind girl from the River...
19.1K 640 21
𝐓𝐖𝐈𝐍 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒 | "where you go, I go what you see, I see." "𝑰𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝑫...