Poker Face

By theobarber

"Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, but if you do it every time, there'll be nothing left to burn." ... More

Soundtrack
Prologue (pt 1)
Prologue (pt 2)
Prologue (pt 3)
Chapter 1 - Savior
Chapter 2 - Burning Up
Chapter 3 - Waking
Chapter 4 - Gravitation
Chapter 5 - What's the Catch?
Chapter 6 - The Tables Turn
Chapter 7 - Out Alive and Back Again
Chapter 8 - Excuses, Excuses
Chapter 9 - Ruminations
Chapter 10 - Starting Over
Chapter 11 - The Wives
Chapter 12 - Nerve Begets Nerve
Chapter 13 - Negan's Plan
Chapter 14 - Interlude
Chapter 15 - Tyrant
Chapter 16 - Making Enemies
Chapter 17 - Hold'Em
Chapter 18 - Royal Flush *
Chapter 19 - Twenty Questions
Chapter 20 - Welcome Home
Chapter 21 - Secretary of Defense *
Chapter 22 - Hilltop Colony
Chapter 23 - Eye for an Eye
Chapter 24 - Interception
Chapter 25 - The New World Order
Chapter 26 - The Morning After
Chapter 27 - Notes
Chapter 28 - Uncontainable *
Chapter 29 - Love Marks
Chapter 30 - The Prisoner
Chapter 31 - Yet Unbroken *
Chapter 32 - Alexandria
Chapter 33 - Aven's Plan
Chapter 34 - Boys' Night
Chapter 35 - Pickup Day
Chapter 36 - Scotch and Soda *
Chapter 37 - Beside Every Great Man
Chapter 38 - Escape
Chapter 39 - Regret and Rehab
Chapter 40 - Forever
Chapter 41 - Loose Ends
Chapter 42 - Strategic Adjustments
Chapter 43 - Where Loyalty Lies
Chapter 44 - Dwight
Chapter 45 - Instinct vs. Doubt
Chapter 46 - On Top of the World
Chapter 47 - Before the Storm *
Chapter 48 - Bloodshed
Chapter 49 - Real Life
Chapter 50 - Bedside
Chapter 51 - Simon
Chapter 52 - Wandering Mind Syndrome
Chapter 53 - Day Off
Chapter 54 - A History Lesson
Chapter 55 - Tough
Chapter 56 - Wartime Prep
Chapter 57 - Sanctuary Under Siege
Chapter 58 - Not Dead Yet
Chapter 59 - Talk It Out
Chapter 60 - Worker Transfer and Safety Precautions
Chapter 61 - Away From You
Chapter 62 - The Smart Thing To Do
Chapter 63 - What Happens Next
Chapter 64 - The Last Outpost
Chapter 65 - P.O.W.
Chapter 66 - Act One: Tearful Confessions
Chapter 67 - The Fall of Alexandria
Chapter 68 - Not Your Friend
Chapter 69 - Act Two: Bad Liar
Chapter 70 - A Changed Man
Chapter 71 - The Eleventh Hour
Chapter 72 - Act Three: The Trapped Rabbit
Chapter 73 - Operation: Dumb Luck
Chapter 74 - The Weights of the Past
Chapter 75 - What An Asshole
Chapter 77 - Hindsight
Chapter 78 - Back and Forth
Chapter 79 - Tell Me How
Chapter 80 - Just Another Morning
Chapter 81 - Bless Me, Father, For I Have Sinned
Chapter 82 - Something In The Way
**Sequel**

Chapter 76 - Silver Lining *

1.8K 50 3
By theobarber

*Smut*

"Dwight gave them some guns but not many. I don't fucking understand how they always end up armed," Negan huffed after listening to Aven's account of what she'd seen behind the walls of Hilltop. With Dwight's screams of pain now either subsided or just too far away to hear, the two marched down the hallway towards Negan's office, Aven's arms wrapped around his waist and his arm draped over her shoulder. The rising and persistent tensions of war clouded every inch of the empty hallways but the two clung together like they wouldn't have it any other way.

Their conversation stayed focused on planning the next and hopefully final attack on Hilltop, but there was a lot racing through both of their thoughts, too much. Aven kept her usual straight face but there was an entirely separate war going on in her mind. There usually was. Her short life with Negan so far had been a rollercoaster, completely unlike anything she could have possibly imagined herself being a part of only a few years earlier. Not only had she never been so attached to someone, but she never thought she'd feel that way about someone with so much power in a world with so much violence, someone with so many dangerous flaws. While she was completely enamoured with him, she could still see things from the outside, see his mistakes and abhor the way he ran things sometimes.

She was overwhelmed but not fully processing her own anxiety. She had been close to death only two weeks earlier and still didn't feel as steady on her feet as she'd like. She'd already been weighed down by memories of her past when she was taken by Rick and Maggie and although they treated her humanely, being held against her will made it even harder to fight away the demons and stay focused on the present. But despite the looming darkness she felt and the problems she saw in Negan's leadership, she was overjoyed to be back in his arms. She'd only been away for a few days but any time away from him seemed like an eternity, especially when they'd spent so little time together in the first place after she'd kept herself secluded from people for so long.

Negan's mindset was similar to hers: dark and turbulent, but also amorous and devoted. He'd had a gut feeling that she wouldn't be hurt at Hilltop once they took her alive but he worried anyway. He couldn't possibly not worry under the circumstances; Rick had brutally killed so many people, men and women. Every day that went by where Rick had support in his sad attempt at a coup was a day Aven was in danger, as well as any of his other people. Negan knew even after Rick's massacres the Saviors had the power to beat him, but as Aven had warned from the beginning, the price for Rick's arrogance and stupidity was the lives of Saviors along the way, more lives than Negan could have ever predicted.

He was torn between avenging the lives lost by eliminating every last person opposing him, and letting people live to continue to supply the Sanctuary. The latter opened the risk of further uprisings from the people he let off the hook, but the former meant worse quality of life for his people for the time being. He didn't necessarily care when people silently opposed his methods, but he knew it would be harder to keep them satisfied once the war was over.

And then there was the part, or parts, of him that was still seething, his adrenaline not yet worn off from the morning's events. Rick continued to take lives, while Simon and Dwight managed to do the same right under Negan's nose. He was furious and either needed to either rip another man to shreds with his bare hands or find another way to vent his aggression.

"Jadis probably helped arm them," Aven pointed out as they ascended a set of stairs, their footsteps synced with each other, echoing in the stairwell.

"Maybe," he grunted. "Good thing you iced her." There was a vague hint of something bitter in his voice but Aven ignored it to stay focused on the tasks at hand.

"Regardless of whether they're armed, I can't imagine they have significant ammo. I didn't see a single extra bullet or magazine on the people who were armed," she explained. "Not that I got a tour of the armory."

"They definitely don't have the fuckin' firepower we have and we won't give 'em the fuckin' chance to get their shots in. We're gonna sit the fuck down and plan for every fucking possibility, every fucking turn we can fucking take to throw these motherfuckers off."

"Throw them off," Aven repeated, keeping the doubt in her voice successfully veiled. As always, Negan wanted to make the attack a drawn-out, psychologically draining encounter. She felt it would probably be better to get straight to the point, but she knew he wasn't one to do things simply. "I don't know, let's draw up some fake plans for someone to drop in the woods or something," she suggested, following his lead on the fake plans Dwight gave Gregory.

"This is why I love you, you are fucking devious."

"That's not devious. Nothing like..." She trailed off and cleared her throat, backtracking from the passive criticism she was about to let slip. She didn't want to argue; she wanted to plan, attack, and get on with their lives.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing."

"Bullshit, what were you gonna say?" he pressed.

"Nothing like infecting people with a virus," she relented, knowing he'd make her say what she was holding back whether or not it was important. She glanced up at him evenly, again hiding the judgement in her voice and eyes.

"That was a pretty good idea."

"It...it's kind of a war crime, Negan," she mumbled, thinking over the process of a single enemy being stabbed with an infected weapon, turning, and wreaking havoc on innocent workers and children just trying to survive. "Chemical warfare was outlawed in a bunch of states by at least the nineteen seventies-"

"I knew you'd fucking say that," he sighed, turning them roughly around the last corner before his office. "News flash, doll. Murder is also illegal but that shit happens every day. You tackled and shot someone in the head yesterday."

"That wasn't murder, that was justifiable homicide." He merely grunted, seemingly disagreeing. "Are you really giving me shit for killing her?"

"No, but I had the situation under control." He truly felt bad that Jadis ended up dead when it was his responsibility to keep in line the men that killed her people. But he was also not happy Aven had seen him so weak, tied up and crying over a bat.

"Under con- Negan, you were tied up! She was about to burn Lucille." When Aven saw Jadis holding Lucille over the wheelbarrow of flames, her heart had dropped. Though she herself had grown somewhat sentimental of the bat, what upset her was what the loss would mean to Negan. She'd thought extensively about his affinity for the thing and understood the value he put in it. The helpless, distraught look on his face when she found him tied up was enough to send Aven on a rampage killing every fucker who ever made his fortitude falter.

"She was backing off. She thought I gave the order to kill her people but I was getting to her, turning things back around like I always do."

"But you didn't. I did and I saved your fucking life."

"Right, I fuckin' forgot, you keep score of that shit."

"Not on purpose," she retorted. "I just remember important things and saving someone's life is important. And you've saved my life more times anyway...for now."

"You plan on saving my life again sometime, doll?" he sneered. As uncomfortable as he was with the state Aven saw him in at the dump, he couldn't deny he liked seeing her in action. Even from the beginning, before she ever agreed to stay with him, he was irked he didn't get to see her take down Simon when she tried to escape. Simon was skilled enough and he knew it must have taken nerve and know-how for her to get the upper hand.

"Only if I have to, and you can make that less likely depending on your plan of action."

"Well I don't wanna fuckin' lose like a fuckin' pussy," Negan sneered. He withdrew his arm from her shoulder as they neared his office and he took out his keys.

"What, lose at saving each other's lives? You're winning three to two, I'd love to keep it that way. No more near deaths."

"You know I can't promise that, doll," he replied as he unlocked and opened the door.

"But you can be careful. Be less of a target, for once." They stepped inside and before Aven knew what was happening, Negan slammed the door shut behind them by shoving her up against it with the full length of his body, his face a fraction of an inch away from hers.

"I know you want me to be less of a target but don't act like you don't love watching the show I put on," he breathed huskily. He knew she hated the way he provoked his enemies for fear of the danger it would bring, but he also knew she enjoyed the power he exuded. Aven was surprised but not entirely by his aggressive turn on her, as she'd noticed his tension rising in the hallway, his body heating up next to hers as they progressed towards his office. Lucikly, one of the conflicting feelings contained behind her mask was one that met his frantic, aggressive need very well, and now that they were alone he wasn't willing to hold himself back in the moment if she was willing to take him. Even after he stopped speaking, her eyes lingered on his lips which quirked upwards into a smirk when he noticed her staring.

He was pinning her to the door with his body, one hand on her hip with his fingers pressing against her ass so hard they'd leave bruises, and the other hand sliding under her shirt. He let out a short, low growl of approval when he felt she wasn't wearing a bra, her skin breaking out in goosebumps as his fingertips found her bare breast. His mouth claimed hers, his kiss hot and messy and she moaned against him. The brief image flashed through her mind of him throwing Simon to the floor and beating him mercilessly and she only melted further into his touch. The contrast was thrilling between the destruction his strong hands had just caused and the amazing things those same hands could do to her. He seemed to know exactly what she was thinking after pulling away ever so slightly to gaze down at her lustfully.

"Yeah, you love it," he taunted huskily in her ear. "And you just fucking love watching me beat the ever loving fuck out of people, don't you, you little freak? I saw the look in your eyes down on the factory floor. Same look you had after we met Rick, same look you had when we fucked for the first time the next day." The hand on her hip slipped further down to hike her leg up against his so he could press his growing erection against her. She'd already become fully malleable in his arms but she kept some composure, closing her eyes to steady her breathing and sighing against him instead of letting out a well-deserved moan. It was a subtle game they'd grown fond of playing, one she usually started unintentionally, where she hid the extent of what he knew he was doing to her and he had to pry it out.

"You love that your man is so powerful," he continued, trailing kisses down her neck and nipping at her skin, his thumb brushing small, feather-light strokes across her nipple. "You love how fucking strong I am. "

"You know," she managed to say with a steady voice while pushing her chest back against his palm, "since you pretty much treat me as an equal I forget what a God complex you have."

"Damn right I'm a god and damn right you're my equal. You're a fucking goddess, baby."

"At least I don't go off about how hot I am."

"Sorry that I know what a fuckin' catch I am, doll," he hummed against her neck before kissing his way back up and stopping to look her in the eye with an arrogant smirk. "Sorry you bagged the fuckin' perfect specimen of a man."

"You're a real fuckin' piece of work, you know that?" Aven scoffed, the words covering the sound of her breath hitching in her throat when he began tugging at her nipple lightly.

"That's what I'm fuckin' saying, doll, I'm a fuckin' masterpiece. I'm Michelangelo's fuckin' David." He trailed his other hand from her thigh to cup her clothed sex, his fingers pressing against her aching clit.

"David wasn't the perfect specimen of man, you can't be both," she replied so matter-of-factly it threw him off for a second.

"What?"

"The David was disproportionate. It was commissioned to be placed high up on a cathedral so the proportions were skewed to look normal from the ground but it was never actually put up there. Plus I think it was made back before human anatomy was fully understood so aside from models artists didn't have much of a basic reference of-"

"I'm trying to study some fuckin' human anatomy and you're going on about fuckin' art history like you have anything on your mind right now besides my cock," he growled, working his fingers against her jeans to tease her.

"Your mouth and hands are also on my mind," she deadpanned.

"Well if you want my mouth on you, you're gonna have to stop being so fuckin' difficult, darling."

"That's an empty threat. You love that I'm difficult." A grin broke through her stoic expression as she lowered her voice to mock his with her next words. "You love that your woman is so difficult. You love how fucking annoying I am."

"Damn right I do," he growled with a mischievous glint in his eye as his fingers immediately left her breast to poke and tickle her side. She shrieked and tried to jerk away but his body weight kept her pinned against the door as he continued his torture, inwardly savoring the sound of her laughter.

When he finally stopped he kept her pinned, his face still hovering just in front of hers and his obvious hard-on pressing against her stomach.

"Tell me how to lead Rick right into our trap," he breathed out of nowhere as though he were requesting something dirty. Her heart was pounding and she was sure he could hear it, and she let out a shaky breath that ended in a laugh.

"Seriously?" she asked, her chest heaving against him. He only gave a small shrug and nodded her on. His mind was much less on work than on her, but he was curious to hear what he was sure she'd been contemplating silently throughout the morning. "Okay...well, Rick probably won't fully trust the plans you sent with Gregory since they're from...well, Gregory and Dwight. I doubt he trusts either of them, but I'm guessing you anticipated that. So I'm thinking let's send out a decoy in front of us tomorrow."

Let's, Negan thought. Like when he'd decided he was sending her to the satellite outpost, he had put off and then entirely neglected to tell her she wouldn't be coming with them the next day. Her past two encounters with the enemy had almost took her from him entirely and he was going to be sure she made it out of this without so much as another scratch.

"Just a few guys," she continued, "to make it look like we're advancing a certain way." She paused and thought for a second, which was difficult as Negan was still gazing at her intensely with only an inch between the two of them. "Oh, uh, maybe...let's have them go on bikes so they can retreat quickly. They could set a fake road block or something somewhere we know Rick will see it. He'll ambush them like he usually fucking does but they'll be ready for it and take off. They can drop another set of plans, whatever you want Rick to think we're doing, and it'll look like we needed that road blocked and make them think they took care of it. They'll be focused on the wrong route."

"Who should we send?"

"Someone competent who won't get themselves killed." Negan remained silent for a moment and just continued to gaze at her heatedly. He let out a small grunt as though considering something that had just popped into his mind. He liked her plan but he was already altering it a bit. Before Aven could ask what he was thinking, his mindset shifted again and his lips were back on hers. She practically had whiplash from his transitions between work and play but she easily melted back into him. She felt his erection twitch against her and smiled into his kiss.

"That's another thing," she breathed, trying to catch her breath as his lips again moved down to her jaw and then her neck. "Michelangelo's David had a really small dick. Doesn't even compare."

"You know," he growled against her, "you make fun of my fuckin' ego but then you stroke it."

"Insert handjob joke here," she said as blankly as possible, though her skin was flushed and a smile was tugging at the corners of her lips.

"I'd rather insert into your pussy but if you're offerin' a handy I'll take it." He kissed his way back up to her ear and then pulled back to look at her and they held eye contact for a moment as though at a standoff, before Aven gave a small shrug and looked away to swiftly unbutton his jeans. Her eyes darted back up to see his closing slightly as she slipped her hand inside his boxers and gripped him tightly. He gave a short, throaty moan of approval as she started to move up and down a few times before pushing him with her other hand to take a step back so she could pull him out completely.

Her movements began slowly and he could feel himself pulsing in her hand as she gradually sped up, her grip loosening and tightening sporadically as she went. With her other hand, she grabbed the lapel of his leather jacket, ignoring the spatters of Simon's blood on his white t-shirt, and pulled him in so she could kiss his neck and nip at his skin. Not that touching him hadn't been on her mind moments earlier, but once she started it was like he was all there was and she couldn't stop. She wanted to feel and taste all of him but all too soon he pulled away. She grunted in complaint but he only grinned down at her, his eyes dark and hooded, before grabbing her by the waist and swinging her around to back her up to his desk.

When her butt hit the desk, he quickly trailed his hands up her body and pushed off her heavy jacket, letting it fall onto the desk and then pushing it to the floor. The room was cold and she shivered when the air hit her bare arms but Negan's heat quickly distracted her from the cold before warming her up entirely. Then, he pulled her shirt up over her head and leaned back to admire her as she adjusted to the temperature again, goosebumps washing over her body, her deep pink nipples hard. When she moved to cross her arms and shield herself from the cold, he stopped her and instead pressed his body against hers again, one hand splayed on her lower back and the other trailing up her back and into her hair, his fingers tangling themselves in her wild curls as he again claimed her mouth with his.

After a moment, she pulled back and let him pull his own shirt over his head. He unbuttoned her jeans and hooked his fingers into the waistband, lowering himself to his knees and pulling her jeans with them. When she was fully undressed, he pushed her back to sit on the desk and she eagerly followed his lead, leaning back and opening her legs, and he didn't waste a second before diving in, wrapping his arms under her thighs and pulling her against his mouth. One hand gripped her ass tightly while the other parted her folds. He kissed and then licked her clit lightly once before dipping his tongue inside her and moaning as he lapped up the wetness already there.

The hard, wooden desk was cold on her back but it felt like there was a fire between her legs, sparked between Negan's mouth and her own body. She shuddered at both the pleasure and difference in temperature and he growled and hummed against her so she could feel the vague vibrations of his voice. His mouth quickly found its way back to her clit and began sucking as he easily slipped one and then two fingers into her pussy. She arched her back and let out a long sigh of pleasure and he moved his hand from her ass to grip himself and quell the throbbing tension he was only stoking with his focus on her. But he'd only been touching himself for a second when she spoke in a raspy, breathy voice.

"Negan, fuck me," she begged, bucking her hips against his fingers. "Please, I want your cock. I need it."

"Remind me again, baby girl," he growled, continuing to lick her clit between words, his fingers now pumping furiously in and out of her and his other hand again abandoning his hard cock to reach up and grab her breast and then play with her nipple as the tell-tale signs of her orgasm began to happen: her hands clenching into fists at her sides, her head turning to the side as though to hide the pleasure she was feeling, a gutteral grunt she let out when she first felt how close she was and that there was no avoiding the wave about to wash over her. "How many men have made you feel this good?"

"None," she gasped, losing herself in his touch as her hips began to shake uncontrollably. "No one. Just you."

"And this pussy deserves it," he growled as he felt her walls starting to tighten around his fingers. "That's it, baby. Cum for me." She cried out as her orgasm hit her and he fingered her through it, placing soft kisses on the inside of her thigh. He smiled and chuckled slightly against her skin and withdrew his fingers as she caught her breath. "You know, everyone around here kneels to me but you're the only fuckin' person I'd ever kneel to."

"Shut up," she huffed with smile.

"Hell, I'd never get off my knees if it meant staying nose-deep in this mind-blowing pussy of yours."

"Negan," she chided, reaching her hand towards him to pull him up so he leaned over her where she lay on the desk. His cock grazed against her entrance and she bit her lip, staring down the small space between their bodies, anticipating the fullness she'd feel any second. He grinned down at her, rubbing himself along her wet entrance and making her squirm. Then, he grabbed her hips and turned her over so she was leaning forward across the desk. She gasped and her heartbeat sped faster, the short wait killing her. She stretched her arms out in front of her to grip the edge of the desk and pressed her ass back against him.

"Impatient?" he teased, pressing the head of his cock against her entrance. The teasing didn't mean much, as he himself was impatient and didn't waste another second before sinking into her. She let out a rough moan as he filled her and smoothly began pumping in and out. "Fuck, baby, I mean it. This pussy is somethin' fuckin' special," he groaned. The sounds of heavy breathing and moans filled the room, skin hitting against skin as he snapped his hips relentlessly against her, filling her entirely with every rough thrust.

"FUCK," she cried out when another orgasm began building. He sped up to what seemed to both of them like lightening-fast speed as he tangled a hand in her hair and pulled her head back just slightly, the way he'd learned she liked: rough but not painful. She didn't like pain; at least, not in that way. He slapped her ass hard once and her moans instantly crescendoed louder, so he did it again and again. Spanking, she liked. And biting. Two things he could absolutely get on board with.

"Yeah, baby, cum on my fucking cock," he hissed through his teeth as they both felt themselves unraveling. "God damn, Aven, fuck." He kept thrusting, his movements becoming erratic as he shot his load inside her convulsing walls. He fell forwards against her as they came back down, reaching out to place his hands over hers and lace their fingers together. They half-lay there for a few long moments, the only sound that of their breathing still calming.

"We have work to do," she finally sighed, her voice sounding fully sated. She moved to push herself up but Negan stayed on top of her, moving one hand to brush away her hair from the side of her neck so he could kiss it.

"Fuck, I love you so fucking much," he whispered. "How did I get so fuckin' lucky to find you?" Aven turned her head to look up and smile at him, skimming over the events in her mind that led them to be together. The reality of their meeting wasn't exactly romantic: he found her being raped and saved her. But before her, after losing Lucille, he had hundreds of followers but at the end of the day he had no one but himself. And she saved him from that.

"You found me amidst unfortunate circumstances for both of us," she replied. "That's what led us here. I guess this is the silver lining of it all."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 493 6
When the world ends and the dead start roaming the earth to eat the living, what exactly would you do? How would you survive? And when the living are...
9.2K 314 98
From her journal, this tale is told from the perspective of one survivor, Grace Oliver, as she tries to navigate the post-apocalyptic world. She meet...
349K 5.8K 48
"You're my everything Angela." Rick said planting a kiss on my forehead. Angela is all alone when the world goes to hell. She finds a group with a sh...
72.7K 2.1K 67
Trying to survive the apocalypse isn't just about slaying the undead. It's a 𝘸𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘦 lot more complicated than that. Hardly anybody ever considers...