The Prince's Secret (Prince H...

By SatyraSpenser

Prince Harry of Wales is engaged to marry a beautiful American actress. He loves her...or so he keeps telling... More

Part 1 - Do The Right Thing
Part 2 - "To Harry and Meg!"
Part 3 - The Ring
Part 4 - Falling For You
Part 5 - Don't Overthink It
Part 6 - The Note
Part 7 - "To Sam. And Harry."
Part 8 - Aftermath
Part 9 - An Offer
Part 10 - Chasing My Tail
Part 11 - Another Unknown Number
Part 12 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 1
Part 13 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 2
Part 14 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 3
Part 15 - The Sleeping Lion - Part 4
Part 16 - Thoughts
Part 17 - Spilled Beans
Part 18 - Advice at Anmer Hall - Part 1
Part 19 - Advice at Anmer Hall - Part 2
Part 20 - The Queen's Speech
Part 21 - Prince Philip Has Some Unusual Advice
Part 22 - A Quiet Place
Part 23 - Right For the Job?
Part 24 - Afternoon Delight
Part 25 - "You should be more careful."
Part 26 - New Year's Surprise
Part 28 - Just Before Midnight
Part 29 - Her Perfect Life
Part 30 - The Only Thought
Part 31 - Tea with the Queen
Part 32 - In the Polo Yard
Part 33 - Paparazzi
Part 34 - Trouble in Paradise?
Part 35 - Not Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Part 36 - Taking Flight
Part 37 - A-Hunting We Will Go
Part 38 - Requests and Promises
Part 39 - Warm and Cozy
Part 40 - Horses and Hounds
Part 41 - Tally Ho
Part 42 - Bubbles and Bruises
Part 43 - Things To Think About
Part 44 - Dirty Harry!
Part 45 - Prince Charming
Part 46 - Horsing Around
Part 47 - Second Hand News
Part 48 - Paper Chase
Part 49 - Walls Come Tumbling Down
Part 50 - Cracks
Part 51 - #Cinderella
Part 52 - Make It Happen
Part 53 - Three Important Calls
Part 54 - Rendezvous
Part 55 - Business in London
Part 56 - A Summons from Her Majesty
Part 57 - Someone We Can Trust
Part 58 - A Coat Fit For A Princess
Part 59 - An Ace Up My Sleeve?
Part 60 - Welcome Home
Part 61 - One Departs and One Returns
Part 62 - At the Gala
Part 63 - A Tale of Two Princes
Part 64 - Good News and Bad News
Part 65 - Confrontation
Part 66 - Mark My Words
Part 67 - Tidal Wave
Part 68 - Gonna Take A Lot To Drag Me Away From You
Part 69 - Imprisoned in a Fairy Tale
Part 70 - Sleep Interruptus
Part 71 - Proof Positive--or Negative?
Part 72 - LHR → YVR
Part 73 - Tying the Knot
Part 74 - The Morning After
Part 75 - Directives
Part 76 - Surprised and Tongue-Tied
Part 77 - Showdown
Part 78 - One Way Ticket
Part 79 - Settling In
Part 80 - The Queen, A Duchess, and Tea
Part 81 - The Queen Has A Word...or Two
Part 82 - Sam of Canada
Part 83 - Catherine and The Moonhorse
Part 84 - Conversation in the Kitchen
Part 85 - Headlines
Part 86 - At Windsor Great Park
Part 87 - Details and a Duchess
Part 88 - Official Announcements
Part 89 - Prime Time on the BBC
Part 90 - The Sleeping Lion Redux
Part 91 - The Royal Non-Wedding, Part 1
Part 92 - The Royal Non-Wedding, Part 2
Note from the Author - updated 18 April 2021

Part 27 - Another New Year's Surprise

6.4K 126 8
By SatyraSpenser

Harry

New Year's Eve

I came in from a run around the garden with the dogs and flopped into a chair. Meg took a seat on the arm of the chair. "Let's go out tonight. We haven't really been out clubbing since we got engaged."

"True," I said. I didn't add that it was mostly because she was not fond of nightclubs and she hated most of my male friends. "Bit late to be trying to make reservations but I can play the royal card and get us in the door. Where do you want to go?"

"I was chatting with Beatrice on Christmas Eve and she recommended Clara Chelsea. It's fun but not too big, and it's pretty exclusive, so we won't get caught in a crush of people."

"Sure. Why not?" On my own, I'd have gone to The Box, but it was too gritty and wild for Meg's taste. I had nothing against Clara Chelsea, although it would host much tamer New Year's festivities than ones I had celebrated in the past.

Meg jumped up, a smile on her face, and I let her kiss me. "This will be so much fun! What will I wear?" she asked, and headed off to her giant walk-in closet to riffle through her wardrobe. From experience I knew that choosing an outfit and doing her hair and makeup would take at least two hours, so I sent a few quick texts to Sam while I waited.

We jumped the line at Clara Chelsea and went right in. I didn't even have to say a word. The doorman just took one look at me and ushered us inside, and the manager got us a decent table upstairs where we had a bit more privacy. It wasn't long before we were joined by some of my old mates and their girlfriends and a few people that Meg knew, all standing or sitting around our table talking and laughing.

I had a few drinks, began to relax, and was having a really good time. For once Meg was not hanging on my arm but was chatting with the other women, laughing and being almost flirty with a few of my friends, which was absolutely fine with me. I was standing, vodka in hand, with my back against the wall, where I had an excellent view into the rest of the club downstairs. My old friends from my harder-partying days, Corrigan and James, were with me and we were talking rugby and polo and skiing and anything but the damned wedding, and that's when I saw her.

Samantha.

I managed to keep talking, with only a slight pause, but I was no longer focused on the conversation. All of my attention, all of my thoughts were down on the floor where she stood with her friend Randa. And a few men, who were obviously flirting with the pair.

I don't even know how I recognized her. She looked nothing like I'd ever seen her, dressed to the nines in an evening gown that looked haute couture but I was willing to bet she had made it herself. The dress flowed over her like liquid, revealing her figure in a way that jodhpurs and jumpers never would.

I stepped away from the wall for a better look, heedless of how obvious that would be. Her hair was perfectly done and she looked so happy, so self-possessed. I couldn't help thinking that what she needed now to complete the look was sapphires and diamonds around her neck and a tiara nestled in her hair.

Things that I could give her.

My palms began to sweat. I had to talk to her. I knew this was not the time, not the place, to be seen speaking with another woman, but I didn't give a damn. I wanted to see her up close, wanted to see her eyes light up when she recognized me.

What I really wanted was to take her out of there to someplace private, but that wasn't possible.

I realized that the conversation had stopped and both James and Corrigan were staring at me.

"Think I'm going to step out for a bit of air," I said, hoping I sounded breezy and disinterested.

They nodded and let me pass, and I made my way to where Meg was sitting, a few drinks in, her cheeks pink. She introduced me to an actress she had worked with and I smiled and nodded, said all the right things, as I had been trained to do, but I could do those things without thinking. My thoughts were focused on Sam.

I leaned close and gave her a peck on the cheek which meant nothing to me but seemed like the appropriate thing to do. "I'm just going to step out back and get a bit of fresh air and another drink. What can I bring you?"

She named off a cocktail and smiled, trying to catch my eye for one of those long adoring looks she liked to give me. I nodded, patted her shoulder, and made a path through the crowds to the stairs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.1K 505 24
The newly widowed Prince of Wales interviews young Lady Diana Spencer for the nanny position to take care of his young sons. Since losing their mothe...
135K 3.2K 100
****Fourth book in Prince Harry series-- Summer in Scotland, Across the Pond, Princess in Training**** Married now, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor...
60.8K 1.3K 16
In which Amelia has gotten too comfortable with her secret relationship and Michael has now given her the ultimatum either go public and engaged or b...
811K 18.3K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...