Heir of Spring

By sleepdeprivedukulele

Set weeks after ACoFaS, Tamlin is still slowly falling apart in his empty manor. That is until a discovery in... More

A Discovery
Lucien Visits
The Market
Birds
City of Stars
Flying Lessons Part 1
Flying Lessons Part 2
Home
Interlude
The Dawn Court
The Dawn Court (Continued)
Asta's Return
Epilogue

The Night Court

2.5K 63 12
By sleepdeprivedukulele

Asta wasn't sure whether she liked all these people. Tamlin had left, so the nice female with blond hair asked if she wanted to play chess. Asta liked her. She was called Mor. But the fae she liked even more than Mor was the huge winged male sitting in the armchair. Asta sat on the floor in front of the chess set, aware that Mor was trying to speak to her, but she was unable to tear her eyes away from those imposing wings. She wished her wings were lined with as muscle as his were. She wouldn't even have to try to fly.

The male didn't speak much, even as the rest of the group joked and laughed loudly.

"Can you fly?" She asked him quietly, and the room fell silent as she opened her mouth. Mor laughed.

"He's one of the best fliers out there," she said - "For an overgrown bat," She added. She started to put the little wooden figurines back into the box, realizing there wouldn't be much chess being played. Asta cocked her head like a curious puppy.

"Can you go fast?" She asked, chest filling with newfound confidence. "I saw people like you on the way here," She said, her speech quickening with excitement. "They went very fast. They looked like birds -" Asta's outburst was interrupted by a group of people bursting through the door, immediately shedding coats and scarves.

A beautiful faerie with a shock of black hair which haloed her face and chocolate skin was greeted by Mor, who embraced her warmly and invited her down to the hearth. Behind her was a female who looked similar to the grumpy lady reading in the armchair. The same dirty blond hair framed her face, and their noses were almost identical. Her hands were caked in dirt, which she immediately went to the kitchen to presumably wash off. Beside her, a dark-skinned female placed lots of bags on the floor by the door. Her swollen belly was covered by a blue cloak, and when Asta looked at her face her breath caught. The lady had ice-blue eyes and sharp cheekbones, but the strict features were offset by wavy black hair, which hung just above her collarbones, and a warm smile. Her hands rested protectively over her stomach. And behind her, hand resting on the small of the pregnant female's back, was -

"LUCIEN!" Squealed Asta, who forgot about their audience and launched herself at him. He gathered her into his arms and hugged her tightly.

"Asta, what are you doing here?" He asked, looking around at Asta's company. "Where's Tamlin?"

Mor answered before Asta could. "He went upstairs with Rhys and Feyre," She said. "They had a lot to talk about." Mor pulled the special grown-up face Asta was very familiar with, so Asta didn't bother trying to discover what the adults upstairs were talking about. Instead, she watched the mysterious Illyrian receive a peck on the cheek from one of the new arrivals, who then turned to Asta.

"I've heard a lot about you, Asta. I'm Elain." She said, smiling gently. "It's very nice to meet you." She stuck out her hand and Asta shook it shyly. The lady's beauty intimidated her, but her kind eyes and smiling mouth set Asta at ease. Instead, Asta's attention slid to the female standing beside her godfather.

"Asta, it's about time I introduce you to Nova," Said Lucien, leading the pregnant lady to the couch.

"It's very nice to meet you," Nova said. Her voice was laced with an exotic lilt, and her tired eyes creased as she smiled. "Lucien has spoken of you many a time." She patted the spot beside her. Asta smiled politely and sat down, Lucien perching on the edge.

Everyone else had resumed their business. Elain was sat on Azriel's lap and Mor was playing another board game with the other woman Asta had not spoken to. Asta's attention was suddenly ripped back to the couple in either side of her as Nova spoke again.

"I would love to get to know you, Asta. Lucien is very fond of you, which means I am," She said, tracing idle circles over her stomach. "If you are staying for a while, maybe we could explore? I could show you this wonderful city,"

Asta nodded enthusiastically. "I would like that very much," She said happily. "Are you going to come with us, Lucien?" Asta asked.

"I think I'll let you two hang out by yourselves for a while," Lucien said. "I want you two to get to know each other better." He stood and gave Nova a quick kiss. "Speaking of which, I need to go. I'll be back soon," He said. He gave Asta a kiss on top of her head and then grabbed his coat. "Bond!" He shouted to them before closing the door shut behind them.

"Oof!" cried Nova suddenly. Asta was alarmed by her face, scrunched with pain, but moments after, her mouth stretched into a smile. "I think the baby just kicked!" She said. "Quick, here - " She grabbed Asta's hands and placed them on her stomach. Asta cooed, amazed at the by the baby growing inside her new friend.

***

Tamlin was trying his best not to let his nervousness show as he followed Rhysand and Feyre up the spiral staircase and into a small friendly room. He sat down and faced the High Lady and Lord of the Night Court. 

Their faces were hard as steel and their eyes unsympathetic. Tamlin cleared his throat. He'd start with something simple.

"I'm sorry for coming unannounced. It was a... spur-of-the-moment decision." He said, keeping his eyes firmly on the clock just above Rhys' face. He stood behind Feyre's chair with his hands on her shoulders. He shrugged.

"We aren't busy." He said, squeezing Feyre. Tamlin nodded.

"I have come here to... apologize, I suppose. For - well, for everything. I mean, I know, this doesn't make up for what -" Tamlin cut himself short. One of the rules he had formed for himself on the journey up; do NOT ramble. He cleared his throat again. "I know an apology won't make up for the way I treated you. Time and perspective have made me see my... my wrongdoings, and there were a lot of them." He turned to Rhys. "And there is a lot of bad blood between us too. And while I'm here I may as well apologize to you too. I'm sorry." He looked into their eyes. "If you can't forgive me, I understand." Then he sat, waiting for judgment. Rhysand was looking down at Feyre, whose lips were pursed and her hands curled into fists by her sides. Tamlin gulped. That can't be a good sign. 

"I accept your apology," She said after what seemed like an age. 

"That means I accept yours too," chipped in Rhys. "And I apologize for what I did those years ago too." Tamlin nodded silently. 

Feyre shifted in her chair. "It's obvious something spurred you to change," She said, gesturing towards downstairs, where Asta waited. "Lucien has talked about her often." 

Tamlin smiled despite the situation. " Yes, Asta is very fond of him. Sometimes I think she'd like him to take her with him on his trips - actually, no, I'm sure of it." 

Feyre's smile was tight-lipped. "Are you planning on staying?" She asked. Tamlin shook his head.
"I didn't really think that far ahead." Indeed, he hadn't. He'd only planned up to the part when he gets thrown out of the Night Court.

"Well, I've got a proposal. Seeing as it is all water under the bridge, how about we set up a trade deal?" Feyre crossed her arms and watched Tamlin intently. 

Tamlin barely stopped himself from jumping up for joy. Instead, he scrunched up his nose. "I don't need a pity deal." 

"This is not for pity. You've been quite hard to get hold of the past few years." Feyre grimaced.

"Yup. Spring Court delicacies are quite hard to find out here. We'd be making good profits." Rhys continued. "How about you and Asta stay here for a couple of days. We can organize a trade deal and Asta can..." 

"Lucien can take care of her," Said Tamlin. He didn't want any of that Inner Circle getting their claws in her, but Feyre shook her head. "I think Lucien and Nova are going back to the continent soon. Not for long, but still..." 

Tamlin sighed. "Well, I'll ask Asta what she wants to do." 

Feyre nodded and got up to leave, Tamlin followed suit. 

When they got back to the first room Asta sat with the Shadowsinger on one side, and a female cradling a pregnant stomach on the other. Tamlin shook his head incredulously at Asta's ability to make friends with anyone. 

"Tamlin!" She cried when she saw Tamlin emerge from the hallway. "Look, this is Nova. She's got Lucien's baby inside her!" Tamlin laughed. He walked over and shook Nova's hand. 

"Nice to meet you."  He said, and then turned to Asta. 

"I think we might stay here for a short time. Is that alright?" He said, squatting in front of her. Everyone else in the room lost interest and had turned back to their activities. 

"Yes! I'd love to stay here." Asta clapped her hands. 

"The only thing is," Tamlin continued, "Lucien and Nova are not going to be here." Nova nodded in confirmation. 

"Sorry, Asta. We might have to do a tour another time." 

"Oh." Asta pouted. "So we will have fun together then?"

"Sorry, Az. I have important meetings to go to. Unless you'd like to come with?" He asked jokingly, bopping Asta's nose. She scoffed. 

"That doesn't sound fun." 

Tamlin nodded. 

"It's not." He frowned at the prospect of being in a room again the just the High Lord and Lady of the Night Court.

"Who will look after me then?" She asked, scratching her head. 

"I could." They turned to the quiet warrior beside Asta, whose siphons were currently being fiddled with by the tiny fae. "You said you wanted to learn to fly, Asta. I could teach you." 

Astas face lit up, but Tamlin raised his eyebrows.

"You don't have to, we can -" 

"No, I want to. I'm not busy."

  Tamlin nodded. "Fine. Thank you. Tomorrow morning I will come back here and drop Asta off." 

Azriel smiled. "See you then." Asta grinned at the new arrangements. Maybe she would learn to fly after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 123 26
Feyre is once again stuck in Tamlin's manor after bargaining to get her family home. she is getting desperate but then a portal appears. Aelin has be...
287K 8.7K 24
(Cover: Charlie Bowater) [Rowaelin and Feysand - Set after EoS and ACOMAF.] The story of how Rowan's and Aelin's lives crossed paths with those of th...
19.8K 551 13
When Aelin Galathynius tumbled through worlds, she landed in Prythian, the land of the fae. She was found by our beloved bat boys who now will help...
4.8K 174 82
{{Previously titled "The Second Bloom"}} POST- ACOFAS/ACOSF. SERIES CONTINUATION with multi POV, fixed friendships, flashbacks, back stories, connect...