Warriors: Black Rain

Snailfleck

(BOOK 1) Centuries after the events of the original Warriors series and the downfall of the four clans, Warri... Еще

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Thanks & Acknowledgments (+Extras!)

Chapter 26

1.3K 57 40
Snailfleck

      Racing among the marsh, Scarpaw thought of every moment spent with Woodpaw. All the training they shared, the way he always treated her as just another Rainclan cat. He was skittish, desperate to please, and weaker than most, but his will was strong, and his potential great. Venomsight stripped these away from him; Venomsight was to blame for all of this.

      Her fury drove her paws forward, claws kicking up mud and dirt as she pelted through the rain, Leopardpaw and Maskpaw right at her heels. She didnt remember when she took the head of the chase, but there was no stopping her now. Venomsight had betrayed the warrior code, resulting in the deaths of her clan-mates, and he's on his way to Thornclan now, a traitor. He could be long gone by now; every muscle in Scarpaw's body was pulsing, pushing her back through their territory, along the great lake towards Thornclan's border. Woodpaw's death would not be in vain.

      "Stop!" Maskpaw hissed, "I can smell Venomsight; and Thornclan with them." The three cats skidded to a halt, spraying up mud and rain around them, crouching low behind the undergrowth in front of them. They had reached the border; They weren't too late!

      "Follow me," Scarpaw spoke in a low growl. Her fur was matted from the storm, but her green eyes blazed with her determination.

      Creeping forward, using the storm to hide their movements and scent, the three peeked through the shrubs to reveal a patrol of cats in a clearing above; she recognized Pebblestar standing tall and menacing, his deputy Eelstrike crouched low at his side, along with Venomsight, Lizardeye, the Thornclan medicine cat, and a blond she-cat she didnt recognize, laying miserably on the ground. The other cats surrounded her, heads low. It took every ounce of her strength not to burst out of her hiding space and tear them all to shreds. Leopardpaw and Maskpaw tensed up next to her, exchanging glances, but understood; rushing into this was useless. They had to assess the situation.

      Scarpaw turned her ears towards the group as a shrill yowl broke the sounds of the rain, loud and booming like thunder; Venomsight was shaking, face twisted with pain and rage, staring down at the she-cat below him. His tail was lashing behind him as he stood, turning towards Pebblestar with disgust.

      "A daughter," he hissed, "you promised me a son." He spun towards the she-cat again, "you promised!"

      The she-cat had her head turned up towards Venomsight in terror, bringing her tail closer to her body. She was shaking her head, unable to speak, as something small stirred at her belly; A kit was there!

      Pebblestar took a heavy step forward, his piercing gaze burning into Venomsight's own. "She could still be strong," his voice was like a low rumble, "she is your kit, after all. Opal has provided us with only the strongest of kits."

      Venomsight turned his eyes to Lizardeye, who was crouched low in fear; his eyes widened as Venomsight snarled, "You said Starclan prophesied a son."

      Lizardeye looked down at his paws in shame as Pebblestar waved his tail, mewing, "Starclan told him of a strong child; nothing else."

      "You lied to me," Venomsight hissed, "the deal is off. This kit is useless to me, just like you." He turned his attention back to the weak she-cat and her kit, trembling before him. "I'll kill you myself, just like Rosegaze and her litter." The kit was crying now, rain pelting down hard, and lightning crackled above, lighting up the sky. The kit's shrill cry filled Scarpaw's ears, panic running through her veins, as Venomsight raised his claws to strike. Pebblestar flicked an ear and Eelstrike launched from his spot next to his leader, claws out, towards Venomsight. The two fell to the ground before Venomsight could harm Opal, a mess of fur and claw, as Pebblestar simply watched the scene play out before him. The she-cat grabbed her kit by the scruff, trying to limp away, only to fall into the mud nearby with the crying kit still in her jaws. Eelstrike was smaller than Venomsight, but we was quick, slashing his enemy in the face causing confusion and tripping him. In a flash, Venomsight yowled his anger as Eelstrike brought his claws to his throat, spraying blood through the air and onto the ground. Pebblestar watched in sick satisfaction as Venomsight twitched and gasped, only to fall still, his fiery gaze stuck clouded at the sky above. The stench of blood filled the air.

      The apprentices could only watch in horror, Leopardpaw pressing herself closer to Scarpaw, and she could feel her friend trembling. Scarpaw's own body shook, claws unsheathed, as she stared at the now lifeless body of Venomsight before them. Eelstrike licked his bloody jowls, turning back to Pebblestar, who nodded with a grin. "He had no where else to go," He spoke, "and that puny apprentice of his is surely crow-food by now."

      Eelstrike nodded, looking back at Venomsight's body with a glint in his eye. "He was a fool."

      Scarpaw had seen enough. No longer able to hold back, she let out a shrill battle cry, bursting from their hiding place in the bracken. She puffed out her fur, feeling the other two run out after her, as she ran straight for Eelstrike, tackling him to the ground. Her surprise attack worked, leaving him in shock as she bit down hard into his shoulder, tasting bitter blood. He yowled, kicking her hard in the chest and sending her flying to the side with a heavy thud. She stood back up to catch her breath and lept quickly towards him again, slashing her fore claws and landing them on his flank; her body pulsed with new-found power.

      Pebblestar stood, eyes wide, as he watched the fight. His shock didnt last long however as he ran forward, biting deep into Scarpaw's neck and tossing her off of his deputy, into a thorny bush that stabbed Scarpaw's pelt and left her gasping for breath on the ground.

      "Rainclan cats," Pebblestar growled, "and apprentices at that. Get up, Eelstrike. These kittens pose no threat."

      "You're wrong," Maskpaw growled, stepping in front of Scarpaw, eyes blazing. "I'll slice open your throat as many times as I have to until you're bloody, writhing crow-food." Leopardpaw took a fighting stance next to him, lashing her tail side to side. Eelstrike scrambled back to his leaders side, blood dripping from the cuts Scarpaw left on him, and Pebblestar stared down at the three with cold curiosity. The rain on his pelt didnt make him seem any smaller, and his muscles flexed as his jowl stretched into a toothy smile.

      "A warrior's spirit. It's a shame it will be wasted," he hissed, ears flat. "You Rainclan flea-bags are all the same. Weak, stubborn, and foolish. You'll die, just like Venomsight; at the paws of Thornclan." Maskpaw roared, leaping with claws outstretched at the leader, only to be caught in Pebblestar's strong claws. He brought Maskpaw to the ground swiftly, holding his heavy paw to Maskpaw's throat. He thrashed wildly under the weight, claws slashing up towards Pebblestar's underbelly, but he wasn't at a good enough angle to do any damage. Leopardpaw rushed forward to help but was stopped by Eelstrike, who tackled the spotted she-cat, distracting her. Scarpaw forced herself to stand, watching in horror as Pebblestar unsheathed his claws into Maskpaw's throat, causing him to yowl in pain. His thrashing was weakening, blood dripping onto Pebblestar's long claws. She pelted forward, slamming her body into Pebblestar's, who released his deadly grip on Maskpaw. The apprentice lay motionless as Scarpaw was batted away by Pebblestar's heavy paw, blood filling her nose. Panic swept through her senses; we can't win this fight.

      Scarpaw coughed on the ground, dizzy, as she looked towards Leopardpaw, who was still locked in battle with Eelstrike. He was only toying with her, dodging and weaving, leaving bloody cuts on Leopardpaw's flank as he did so. She was fighting with the strength of all Lionclan, but Eelstrike was quicker. It was only a matter of time before he got bored of her.

      Maskpaw still lay motionless at Pebblestar's paws, Lizardeye crouching with Opal now, and Scarpaw felt hot fire in her veins as she tried to stand. She couldn't focus, she was weak- but she still tried scrambling back towards the leader, only to fall to the ground again. She couldn't die like this; she couldn't. Venomsight's body lay next to her, jaws frozen in a pained jowl, and she watched it with a deep sadness. They had tried so hard, and had failed. Woodpaw, Rosegaze, Pepperpelt; all were left with no justice. They had lost.

      Just then, Venomsight slowly lifted his head, his amber gaze burning into Scarpaw's face, worried and searching. Her blood ran cold as she watched. He spoke, but she couldn't hear him; she watched him die, how was this possible?

      Blinking, she realized it was Stormspirit in front of her, not Venomsight. Her mentor prodded her with his paw, sniffing her body, and stood to face Pebblestar. 'What is Stormspirit doing here?' she thought, looking past him to see Snowstar, Nightbreeze, Toadface, Dawnleaf, Owltail, Sagefur, Webear, and Sparkpaw, all surrounding the clearing. Her vision began to focus more, noticing Eelstrike had backed away from his fight and was now crouched hissing at Pebblestar's side; Owltail was holding a limp Leopardpaw by her scruff.

     'They made it,' Scarpaw whimpered to herself, 'Sparkpaw went to get help; we haven't failed!'

     "Pebblestar," Snowstar snarled, his warriors ready for battle beside him, "you have trespassed on Rainclan territory for the last time." The Rainclan cats rippled with strength, eyes blazing, claws out. Even a kit would know that compared to these numbers, Pebblestar and his cats had no chance of victory. Pebblestar eyed the patrol carefully, not daring to take a single paw-step in any direction. His eyes eventually went back to Snowstar, a low grumble sounding from deep in his throat. There was a long period of silence, filled with tension, as the two stared at each other, their eyes narrow slits. Every cat was ready to leap.

      "Im not enough of a fool to not know when I've been beaten," Pebblestar spoke, not bothering to raise his voice above the storm. "but this is not the end."

      Snowstar took a lethal step forward, drawing back his lips. "You asked for my answer at the next gathering concerning your request, Pebblestar, and i've decided it cannot wait until then. My answer is, if I catch even a whiff of your mange-covered scent on the wind anywhere near our territory, I'll make sure the name Thornclan is stripped from history. You and your warriors have made a grave mistake, Pebblestar, and these actions mean war." The clearing was silent except for the thunder and rain. Maskpaw was coughing now, gasping for air, and Scarpaw saw Nightbreeze shaking; she wanted to get to her apprentice, but he still lay at Pebblestar's paws. Pebblestar isn't so stupid to try anything now, is he?

      Pebblestar stepped back from the apprentice, waving his tail for his medicine cat and deputy. Lizardeye sent a shameful look towards Webear, who showed only anger, and the three began backing away, out of the clearing. Opal still lay with her kit, close to the Rainclan patrol. She held her kit even closer to her chest.

      Without another word, the three Thornclan cats darted away, scrambling through the thorny brush, their short fur not even snagging as they ran. Snowstar looked towards Dawnleaf and Sagefur, hissing, "Follow them," and with a curt nod, the two took off in their direction. The rest of the Rainclan patrol lifted their heads high to the dark clouds above which covered the moon, and yowled a victory call, shrill and full of strength. Scarpaw was left watching in awe, pride and relief flooding her body. This was her clan; this was her home.

      She snapped out of her haze quickly, however, attempting to stand and limp towards her leader. "Snowstar," she mewed hoarsely, "I'm sorry. We... We tried as hard as we could, but..." he silenced her with a lift of his tail, his deep blue gaze much softer now. He brought his head down to nuzzle into the apprentice, mewing, "You proved yourself a warrior tonight, Scarpaw. All four of you." She returned the nuzzle, letting the rain slide down her pelt. It wasn't coming down as hard as before, she noticed, and the coolness felt nice on her stinging wounds.

      Sparkpaw came padding up and Scarpaw lifted her head to touch noses with him, his scent comforting her senses. "I came as quick as I could," he panted, ears flat. "I knew you would need help."

      "The entire clan did nicely," Scarpaw purred, a bit shocked at the size of the battle patrol he brought along with him. He smiled, nodding.

      "Sure did. We scared the fleas right out of their miserable pelts!" She blinked warmly into his gaze for a moment, taking it in, before turning her head to survey the scene. Owltail was sitting with Leopardpaw who was beginning to regain consciousness, her wounds non fatal; Nightbreeze was surveying Maskpaw, and Stormspirit and Toadface were crouched over Venomsight's body. Scarpaw felt a wave of pity for her mentor; his brother may have been corrupted and a traitor, but he was blood, and that was a feeling Scarpaw understood very well. Blood is hard to lose no matter the circumstances, and now, Venomsight's was splayed in the clearing, being washed away by the rain above.

       A rustle in the bushes nearby caused Scarpaw's ears to prick up, her head spinning to the spot behind her. Dawnpelt and Sagefur back already? No, they went the other direction...

      'More Thornclan warriors?', she thought in panic. Standing, she bolted into the undergrowth, following the sound. It was too large to be anything but a cat, and it was moving fast. She wouldn't let any other cat cause any more trouble. Limbs burning, she ran, panting heavily as the cat ahead of her came into view. 'Almost there!'

      The cat stopped suddenly, causing Scarpaw to run straight into them. The two tumbled onto the ground, flinging up mud, and Scarpaw shook her head to get a better look at the invader. It smelled much different, not like the Thornclan warriors before...

      "Hawkheart?" Scarpaw yowled, eyes wide, as she took in the cat before her. Her sister stood, shaking her messy pelt, hissing quietly towards Scarpaw.

      "Hush, will you?" she looked around, narrowing her eyes, and walked deeper into the undergrowth. Scarpaw was too stunned to speak, watching her sister attempt to hide herself. What was she doing here? And after the attack just now...

      "Were you watching the entire time?" Scarpaw spoke hoarsely, her fur rising. Hawkheart's amber gaze locked onto Scarpaw's, giving away nothing.

      "Yes."

      "But... why? What are you doing here?" Scarpaw blinked, her shock turning into cold anger. "You're trespassing on Rainclan territory."

      "You're not the only clan suspicious of Pebblestar's plans." Hawkheart lowered herself to the ground, showing no fear at Scarpaw's reaction. "Tanglestar thought something was strange. She sent me to spy, and we she was right; they're up to something dark."

       Scarpaw began to calm down, crouching down as well, curiosity pricking at her paws. "You shouldn't be here. Spy or not, you're trespassing, and with the state of our clan right now, they'll tear you to shreds."

      "Im following orders, just like you." Hawkheart's ear twitched, her voice silky and comforting. Scarpaw took in every detail she could; her long, dark tabby pelt that matched her own, her muscled limbs, the scars along her side. Hawkheart seemed so experienced for being so young.

      "You haven't been sneaking through our territory like this often, have you?"

      "Of course not. This is my first time. If it was up to me, I wouldn't ever set a paw in this wet, uncomfortable place."

      "Well, why didn't you help us when they attacked?" Scarpaw mewed, uncertainty causing her tail to twitch. If she was there the whole time, she would have seen Scarpaw and her clan mates close to death. What would she have done of the patrol never came?

      "I couldn't! It would only cause more problems for you, and for me. Rainclan helped us once, and we owe nothing to you for it; not after you joined them. bursting in would only make us seem as if we have an alliance, and fuel Thornclan even further." Hawkheart's eyes flashed, narrowing. "You should understand; Swifttail died in the attack your clan assisted in."

     Father. Scarpaw flattened her ears, looking away. "I know. You don't have to remind me. I suppose I understand, but..."

     "Scarpaw!" Stormspirit's mew came calling from behind the two she cats, and Hawkheart's pelt rose. She stood, shaking rain from her thick pelt, and locked eyes with Scarpaw once more.

      "I must leave. I can't be seen here; you said it yourself. Ive seen enough to report to Tanglestar about Thornclan, and I'll be leaving now." She turned and lept into the undergrowth leading back towards the great lake. Scarpaw blinked, standing; there was so much more she wanted to say.

      "Wait," she called, "when can we meet again?" Hawkheart stopped, turning back towards her sister. Her eyes were searching, curious. Unreadable.

      "Soon. I will return," Hawkheart mewed, and continued down the slope. Her tail disappeared just as Stormspirit came padding behind Scarpaw, letting out a breath of relief.

     "Great Starclan, why did you run off like that?"

     "I thought I heard more Thornclan warriors," She stammered, suddenly noticing how weak she felt. Her paws were ready to give way under her, and Stormspirit noticed this, supporting his apprentice on his side.

      "Come; they're gone now. We must return to camp." Scarpaw nodded, letting her head rest on Stormspirit's strong pelt. He guided her back to the clearing as her head began to race with thoughts of her sister; she could tell no one of this. It would only cause problems, just like she said. She would stay quite until they met again, whenever that would be. For now, she shut her eyes, taking in the scent of her mentor and the forest; the rain was falling softly now, the stars and moon slowly appearing behind the clouds.

      In the clearing, Webear had found Opal and her kit, and was sniffing over the queen while Snowstar and Toadface stood closely. Opal had explained that she was a rogue living with Thornclan alongside many others, promised safety by Pebblestar. Venomsight was giving away secrets to the cruel leader in exchange for Opal's kits, expecting a son. She agreed out of fear, but only wanted her and her kit to be safe. The daughter was dirty, but not wounded, thankfully. Webear saw that she was alright before giving Snowstar the o-k to return back to camp, promising Opal the nursery and help of the other queens. Reluctantly, she agreed.

      Scarpaw stood huddled with the other apprentices, who were battered and bloody, but conscious; they all pressed close to each other, mourning Woodpaw. Sparkpaw had filled the clan in on the incident, but the pain still stung deep; Scarpaw saw him falling into the churning river, over and over.

      Looking up towards Opal, carrying her kit by the scruff alongside Webear, Scarpaw felt a new feeling rise in her chest. The kit was blond and soft like her mother, peaceful, sleeping. All this death, all this pain, and this young kit, new to the world. Scarpaw remembered the words of Leopardpaw, back during their training; a new kit really is a good omen.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

5.6K 182 55
The five clans of the lake will be in grave danger in the future. However, their fates lie in the paws of two cats. Will they do what is right for th...
117 7 7
The five Clans have been settled by their territories around the lake for season upon season since the days of the legendary ThunderClan leader Fires...
944 63 24
~New Cover~ An epic series starts with this book. A beautifully written fan-fiction book from Erin Hunter's Warriors Far off, across the continent fr...
1.1K 11 25
Series 1. Book 1 of 6. 'Night will lead a path of light.' Wind Clan has gone down hill after many seasons, less warriors, few apprentices and a short...