Imprisoned Love

By AnaBuu

Mia Tennyson, a young psychologist, finds herself jobless after a year of working in a local hospital. Having... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
T&A
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
short rant
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 18

18.7K 401 34
By AnaBuu

Entering the glass building, I came face to face with numbers of business people walking around with the same serious expression written all over them. Every object was perfectly positioned on its place, designed so modern and brand new, pristine clean. I reached the front desk which was occupied by the middle-aged woman who welcomed me with a warm smile. It felt unusual in this place.

''Hi, welcome to Brown Derickson, how may I help you?''

I greeted her back, ''Hello, I was just wondering where do I need to go to reach Mr. Gardner's office?''

''Oh, he's on the sixth floor, turn right when you step out of the elevator and his office is third door on the left.'' She kindly responded and I thanked her very much, as I turned towards the elevators. There were a few of them - it was a ten story building after all.

I made my way through the hallway exactly as I was told to do so. I was faced with a great number of offices and work desks in one place where people were so into their work that they didn't even notice me passing them by. Reaching the door I was looking for, my eyes scanned the name that was put in the middle before knocking - Matthew Gardner, junior associate.

There was a long pause before I heard a ''come in''. Not knowing if I was actually mentally prepared to face him, I stopped wasting my time and bravely entered the office. It was nice and clean - just like the lobby where I was previously at. But foremost, it was much smaller than I might have anticipated.

His face was more than surprised once he looked at me. He had a telephone placed between his ear and shoulder, as he was writing something down the paper on the desk. I closed the door behind me, as I eavesdropped his conversation. 

''Yeah, look Frank, I'll have to call you back, something came up... No, I'll call you once I'm done with these. Alright, bye.''

Matt's face lit up, as he stood up. Nothing about him has really changed, except the part where he shaved his beard. He was still only a few inches taller than me, his dirty brown hair was neatly combed and his gorgeous ocean blue eyes were piercing through me. The white button up shirt he was wearing perfectly sculptured his body. He was never a slim guy, but neither was he bulked with muscles. But seeing him then made me wonder if he'd been hitting the gym recently.

''Tell me I'm seeing things.'' He said, as he stepped towards me.

''I'll have to disappoint you,'' I said, as I flipped my hair in a dramatic way, ''but your dream just came true.''

Matt flashed me a smile before hugging me tightly. He smelled good, I noticed. It'd been a long time since I last saw him, that was for sure, ''I'm so glad you came. I missed you.''

I gasped, as we broke the hug. Our entire friendship, or whatever we have is called, is based on constant mocking and inside jokes. Always has been.

''You missed me? Boy, do you know how many girls would want to hear you say that? I feel honored.''

He chuckled, but his eyes were telling me he was being serious, ''You know you were never like any of them.''

Hearing that, even after such a long time, warmed my heart just a tiny little bit. What we once had was washed away but it didn't change the fact that I still cared about him and the past that was connecting us in a unique way.

''I know.''

As he instructed me to sit down, I complied and got comfortable in the leather white seat. My old friend asked me what had brought me there because, quite frankly, my visit was verbatim unsuspected and random that I'd be asking the same question if it was another way around.

''Well, actually... I kind of need a law favor and was hoping you had time and will to take a look at one case.''

''A law favor?'' He asked bewildered, ''Are you in some kind of trouble?''

''No! No, nothing like that.'' I explained as I reached for the files in my bag, ''I'm not asking you to be mine or anyone's lawyer or to take anything to the court. I just need you to look through these and tell me if you think there's something strange to notice because I really got lost reading all of those law terms.''

He took a file from my hand and scanned the front page, ''Riverscope Prison confidential? Do I need to be concerned, Mia? How did you even get these? You can't have it.''

''I work there now. Look, it's about the previous-''

''You what?!'' He raised a voice a little bit, as he dropped the file on his desk, ''Tell me you're joking. Mia, come on... Out of all of the places there are to work as a psychologist, you chose a prison?!''

''It wasn't exactly my choice. I was jobless and literally had nowhere else to go. It was my only option and I need the money to pay for the living so... yeah. I'm there. And it might not be the ideal place to work at but it's paying my bills and food.''

Matt's face was serious and he was rarely like that, ''You could've come to me. I know we haven't been so close lately but-''

''And what? You know I absolutely hate asking people for help and I really don't think Janice would be happy to see me with you, which is understandable. And even if I did ask you for help, there's nothing you could've done for me. I'd never take money from you.''

''For the last part, yeah, I know, you're still being annoying about the time when I paid for your lunch one time.''

''I am not annoying.''

We were both quiet for a few moments as if he let me think about the words I just said out loud.

''Okay, maybe I can be sometimes, but-''

''But nothing, Mia. You shouldn't expose your life like that. I work with people like that, I go there and I know how it goes. It's not a place you should be working at. And as for Janice, we're not even together for quite a while now but nevertheless, you should've come.''

''Really? What happened?''

The expression on his face was telling me he didn't want to talk about it, not because of being too hurt by it, but too annoyed, ''It just wasn't functioning right and, well... you know how am I in the relationship and she couldn't stand that. It felt more like a prison than a normal relationship.''

I nodded my head in understanding, ''I'm sorry it didn't work out for you two.''

''Mhm, right, you just came here to claim me back.'' He teased and I stuck out a tongue at him. Very childish, I know.

''Keep dreaming.''

''I am.'' Matt smirked and it was obvious his player side still hadn't left him. I had to admit, he knew how to talk to girls. Not in a way where he'd tell you sweet nothings, but in a way where he knew exactly what words should be said in order to uplift your mood. Matt's words were something he had the knowledge to work with. Among other things.

''Like I said. Keep dreaming. But as you do that, are you going to be able to check this out for me, please?''

''You're lucky I don't have the time to argue with you about everything but tell you what. I'll look through it and then meet you up when we're both free to discuss it. Sounds okay?''

''Sounds perfect.'' I replied with a friendly smile. Knowing that he was being so helpful, although he must have piles and piles of work to do, it made me feel appreciated and thankful - like it had been most of my life with him. I told him I'll let him get back to his work, as he hugged me once again, this time for a shorter period. It felt incredible seeing Matt, even under this circumstance.

As I was driving back to my apartment, I started reminiscing about the college. It was definitely better experience than high school and I might even thank Matt for that in a way. There was a group of friends I was good with, who studied Psychology as well, but Reesha, the same girl who moved across the country for a job she was offered and I still miss her so much, was the type of girl who knew almost everyone. Every time we'd pass through our campus or on the hallway of college, she'd stop to talk with someone. After a certain party we both attended, I ended up meeting Matthew. He absolutely loathed when I'd call him that and insisted I stick with Matt. So I have. Occasionally. 

I can't say we were friends from the start because, to be completely honest, he was attracted to me immediately. Reesha told me how immature he was for a serious relationship, something I hadn't considered then but was always for it. I had zero tolerance towards messing around, not that I care when someone else does it, but myself I couldn't handle it. Even though Matt was pretty persistent, I wouldn't give up and was still acting like a friend to him. Nothing more and nothing less. He wasn't a jerk either about it, just kept pointing out the obvious.

That was, until one day, I had a huge fight with my aunt. Never in my whole life did I have such argument with her or anyone else for that matter, and it fucked me up. It had everything to do with my past, being forsaken and hurt I felt as a child. It led me to the nearest bar, as I ordered a shot after shot. Not caring about anything else in the world. I really couldn't tell how much time had it passed but I felt a slight tap on the shoulder and there he was. Matt in all his glory, asking me what was I doing there all alone. After realizing I was in a drunken state, he helped me out of the bar and started driving me back to the campus. As I noticed the familiar pathway, I instructed him not to take me back but to take me away. That night, he drove me to the most beautiful place in the city - on the small hill which had a view over the most part of the town, including our college. 

We basically talked for hours until I hadn't sobered up. I didn't know why but I told him things that not everyone found out in such short period of time with me. But he did and he never used it against me. Never in his life. Maybe it was a fact that he opened up too, which helped me ease down a little bit. We didn't just emotionally bond that night. We also had sex. And again. And again. And it continued to repeat, not only because it was good, but we had something hard to describe that we both liked. 

I wanted answers, though. I didn't like the fact that we were only messing around, hence the deep topics we'd often discuss, and, although I knew I shouldn't feel that way, it hurt like a bitch seeing him laugh and somewhat flirt with other girls. Deciding to put a stop on it, he confessed how genuine he was with me the entire time but that he can't function well when it comes to bonding with someone. As much as he wanted to be with me, he didn't want to hurt me in any way and blame it on his reckless behavior later on. I told him it would break my heart more to have him around me, without an allowance to touch him in a way only I had a right to, than to actually be with him, regardless the risk of being hurt in the end. So we tried but long story short - it didn't work out.

That left us being friends only with seldom hook ups in desperate times.

Do I wish we managed to be together? One hundred percent. Would I lose our friendship over trying to avoid the inevitable? Absolutely not.

With him in my thoughts, I entered my home and dropped the keys as soon as I noticed an unknown man sitting on my couch with a gun peaking under his brown leather jacket.

//

A/N - I'll fix mistakes later buttttt what the hell, Ana, you seriously posted wow start posting more often, we're getting sick and tired of you.

I know, guys, so sorry. Bear with me and my college.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 5.5K 38
"I have a boyfriend." I spat out the reminder, to keep him away from me. "Yeah, yeah." He rolled his eyes. "You keep saying that. It's like your only...
12 0 4
Lilly and Lola have both grown up in a isolated world surounded by extremly dangerous man. When they get the opportunity to have a taste of freedom b...
86 5 4
Mia's life was unpleasantly boring before she met the mysterious guy in the lecture hall. As much as she tried to mind her space, he didn't seem to k...
11.6M 515K 74
Mia Collins just wanted to get through her senior year of high school with as minimal awkward situations as possible. However, that's kind of hard to...