What He Doesn't Know {Complet...

By TheRiverRunsDeep

Allison Snow was ten years younger than Colton Pierce but that didn’t affect their tight bond. That was until... More

Need You Now
Leave the Pieces
Don't You Remember
We Can't Stop
Cups
Run, Baby, Run
Wrecking Ball
Shut Up and Let Me Go
My Life Would Suck Without You
Liar
Trust
Seventy Times 7
The Monster
Author's Note
Semi-Automatic
Animal I Have Become
Love The Way You Lie
Breath
MakeDamnSure
Half of My Heart
Airplanes
Hot 'n Cold
The Great Escape
U + Ur Hand
Beggin For Thread
Hey Brother
Closer
Ugly On The Inside
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
Gives You Hell
Secrets
Diary
Sweet and Low
Thinking Out Loud
Sugar
I Know You
I Put A Spell On You
Can't You See
Paris
Smile
Lock Me Up
Please Don't Go
If I Die Young
Sloppy Seconds
This is Gospel
Hard to Love
Epilogue: At Last

Animal

46.1K 1.5K 56
By TheRiverRunsDeep

Unedited:

***

"In your eyes I see the eyes of somebody

I knew before, long ago

But I'm still trying to make my mind up

Am I free or am I tied up?"

- Miike Snow "Animal"

***

I stood in front of the hallway no one was allowed to go down. I knew Colton was still tucked away in his private office back there and that it was against the rules for me to go back there. However, it was rounding six thirty and everyone was clearing out - if not already gone - for the day.

 As a matter of fact, Chey just informed me she was leaving for the day, prompting me to consider going down the forbidden hallway to get Colton. I knew his mom - more than likely - scheduled dinner for about seven-thirty ish. If he wanted to make it on time, he would have to wrap up soon so we could head out.

I took one step towards the hallway and stopped. My eyes scanned the hall, expecting something to leap out of the shadows and go off on me for entering the forbidden hallway. Yet, after seconds turned to minutes I noted that nothing was happening - making me sigh in relief.

I decided a moment later: ‘what the hell’ and began my journey down the hall.

There was only one door, at the end, and I figured it to be his office. Grabbing the door knob, I went to open the door but before I got the chance, the door swung open. I released the door knob as I was faced with Colton.

Before I was able to get a good look at the room, Colton stepped forward and closed the door behind him.

“You were, I know, informed not to go down this hall. It is forbidden, Allison.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, “Forbidden? Why?”

Colton stared me down, “Because I said so. Now, what do you want?” He questioned with bitterness.

“It is six thirty. Everyone is practically gone. If you expect us to make it to dinner with your parents, you should consider wrapping up.”

“Tony should be arriving at your desk in about ten minutes. He will be taking you back home.”

“What about dinner with your parents?” I inquired with a raised eyebrow.

Colton snickered, “Did you really think you were going? What on earth led you to believe that you were going out to dinner? Because you told my mother you would? Allison, you are in trouble: You’ve wrecked my office-”

“After you told me you didn’t trust me.”

“That gives you the right to trash my office? What are you five-years-old?! Throwing a tantrum because someone said they don’t trust you?”

I wanted to tell him that he wasn’t just someone, but I held it in.

“Not to mention you have left the premises of the office,” I went wide eyed as I thought, since he didn’t come after me when I got back from lunch, that he didn’t know I left the office to go have lunch with Chey. “Oh, you really didn’t think I’d find out about that? How stupid do you think I am, Allison?” His tone was drenched in outrage.

I took a step back feeling slightly threatened. “Col-” I stopped myself as my eyes casted down on the blue carpet. “Mr. Sharp, I’m sorry...”

“Sorry?” Colton exhaled loudly. “...You’ve come down with a stomach bug - that is what I’ll tell her.”

“If you tell her that,” I stated as I looked up at him, “She will go off on you for leaving me alone while I was sick. She will even, more than likely, ask to go see me. What are you going to show her: my room in the basement?”

Colton glared at me, but he knew I was right. “Something came up-”

“Like what? I told her my evening was free.”

“You forgot about something,” He tried to come up with an excuse but he and I knew that would not fly with his mother. Colton shook his head, “You cannot go dressed like that,” He muttered as he studied the nun-like outfit he forced me to wear today.

“What do you propose, Mr. Sharp?”

***

“No, you are not wearing that,” Colton said as he looked up from his phone and landed sights on the dress I had on.

I grumbled under my breath as I felt like if I tried on one more dress I’d scream. “I like it!” I exclaimed.

“I’m buying it and I said no,” Colton stated. “It shows too much skin. Plus, you look like a prostitute in it.”

My eyes narrowed into thin slits as I stared daggers at him. He was wrong, this dress was perfect. It was simple, black, knee length and had straps that went over my shoulder before crisscrossing in the back. I personally thought it showed just the right amount of skin, and it was just an added bonus that the dress fit and felt perfect. “Please ... I love it!”

“No.”

I rolled my eyes and walked back into the dressing room. The whole time I took off the dress I pouted, even though he couldn’t see me. “I only have one more left in here,” I stated just loud enough for him to hear me.

“Well, hurry up, let’s see it.”

I quickly put on the last dress. It wasn’t as comfortable as the last one I tried on but it wasn’t too tight or loose either. The dress was a deep crimson red color; it had short sleeves and reached about six inches past my knees. I knew, before even going out there, that Colton would approve because it didn’t show any of my back, had sleeves and it reached past my knees.

Walking out, he glanced up and studied me for a second. “Turn around.”

I did as he instructed, "Is this the one?” I questioned once I faced him again.

“It will do. Now, come on let’s pay for it,” Colton said as he stood up and led me over to the cash register.

“I have to change out of it first,” I muttered.

“We don’t have time,” Colton exclaimed, “We are already ten minutes late to dinner.” Reaching the register, Colton ripped the tag from the back of the dress. “Here, I’d like to pay for the dress she is wearing.”

The cashier looked at us funny, but didn’t ask questions.

The moment Colton had fully paid for the dress; we were out the door and getting into his limo. Silence blanketed us for the first few minutes of the ride.

“I’ve decided,” Colton spoke up as he looked over at me. “Despite all that you’ve done today and how you’ve disobeyed me ... you can keep your mattress, your father keeps his job and you still get a reward today ... So, what is it that you want?”

I was stunned; I never thought in a million years that he would forgive me and allow me to have a reward this week. In all honesty, I expected to go back to his house with no mattress and hatred within myself for slipping up and making him mad. “Why?”

Colton didn’t have to ask what I was questioning about. “Because ... I ... I don’t know.”

I examined every inch of Colton's face, trying to find the answer, before chuckling, “You feel guilty for what you are doing to me. That’s why.” I proclaimed.

Colton didn’t say a word, confirming I was right.

“I want to reject your offer, I do ... but I know that would be foolish...” I stated as the limo pulled up to a curb. Figuring we were now at the restaurant. I sighed. “Can I submit my request after dinner? I don’t know exactly what I want yet...”

Colton nodded, “Of course.”

Larry opened the door to the limo and Colton got out, followed by me.

When we entered the restaurant, I looked around and found that it was a really nice place. The walls were white with a cherry wood hardwood floors. There were square, white clothed, tables scattered around the restaurant. Each table had a single candle in the middle, providing a romantic feel to the air.

“Pierce,” Colton spoke to the hostess.

She nodded and looked down at a floor chart that was in front of her. “Follow me,” She instructed.

“Aren’t you worried that someone will see you and link you to your parents?” I whispered to Colton.

He looked down at me and shook his head, “No, I’ve taken precautions.” He told me with no elaboration.

Before we even reached his parents table, Mrs. Pierces was up from her seat. “Colton! Oh my boy! You look like you’ve grown since I last saw you,” She stated as she reached Colton and embraced him in a hug.

Colton chuckled at his mother before separating from her hold.

She looked away from her son and then settled sights on me, “Oh, Ally, dear! You’ve grown too!” She exclaimed as she hugged me.

I smiled, “How are you doing, Mrs. Pierce?” I asked once she had let go of me and we were seated at the table.

“Fine, fine, fine,” She informed me.

My eyes flickered over to Mr. Pierce and I was seconds from asking him how he was doing but instead my eyes narrowed in his direction as I remembered Colton telling me that he was the reason Colton left for college - and inevitably why we ended our friendship

Mr. Pierce caught my intense glare and within seconds a knowing look was swimming in his dark green eyes.

Knowing we were at a silent agreement that I knew what happened, I looked away.

“Business is going well,” Colton proclaimed to him mother, whom I assumed asked him about work. “We are set to make record amounts this year.”

I wanted to laugh at what he was saying to Mrs. Pierced because of how he was acting like his business was official and legal. Little did his mom know that Colton was one of the - if not the - largest drug lord in North America.

“That’s great to hear, Son.” Mr. Pierce stepped in and stated.

I started to wonder if Colton’s father knew the truth. I mean, I know Mrs. Pierce didn’t but Colton always confided in his father. But then again, I knew Colton liked to keep his personal and business life two separate things. Telling his father might blur those lines.

“Is there anything I can get you guys to drink,” a waiter asked as she stood in between Colton and I.

After we all gave our waiter, Stacy, are drink request, Mrs. Pierce spoke up, “So Ally, I hear from your mother you are taking classes online to get your GED.”

I glanced up at her and gave a forced smile, “Yeah,” I lied through my teeth. “Colton has been very considerate of my online classes by giving me Mondays and Fridays off to take my classes. At this rate I will have my GED in three months.” I had no idea why I was lying to her because Colton and I have never talked about my online classes. Yet, I knew if Mrs. Pierce got wind that I was not making a single effort to get my GED - well, to say all hell would break loose would be an understatement.

“That’s great!” Mrs. Pierce replied.

Suddenly, Mr. Pierce spoke up, “Did you hear about Madeleine?”

I knew, due to growing up with Colton that Madeleine was his first cousin. Madeleine's parents were very close with Colton’s parents so I saw her every time Mr. and Mrs. Pierce had a small family event.

“Yeah, she’s getting married in two months - Napa Valley, right?” Colton questioned even though he knew the exact location of the wedding.

“Yes, and you presence is a most!” Mrs. Pierce said with a stern look at Colton, as Stacy placed all of our drinks in front of us. “No skipping out like you did with Forester’s wedding last April,” She added.

“Are you guys ready to order?” Stacy asked the table as she held a notepad in front of her and a pen in hand.

I looked down at the menu, realizing I had not even glanced at it.

“Yes, I will have...”

I tuned out everyone as I skimmed through the menu, attempting to find something I wanted.

“What do you want to eat, Alice?” A voice asked me.

My head popped up from the menu as I looked at Colton in utter shock. He called me Alice ... My body had no idea how to react for I missed that name rolling off his tongue. “Hmmm?” I asked for I wanted him to say it again, just so I knew my ears were not fooling me.

“What do you want to eat?” He asked again, without calling me Alice.

My heart dropped, “Uhhh...” I looked away from him, hoping he wouldn’t see the hurt that was etching its way onto my face. “I’ll have...” My mind was running cicles and the last thing I could think of was food.

“She’ll have the fillet mignon, with herb mash potatoes and a side of macaroni,” Colton answered Stacy.

“We don’t make macaroni here,” Stacy replied.

Colton, knowing macaroni was one of - if not - my favorite food stated: “I think you can scrape something together.”

Stacy just looked at Colton for a second, unsure of how to reply. But soon she blinked and nodded, “Of course...” With that said she walked away.

“Are you okay, Ally?” Mrs. Pierce asked. “When Colton asked you what you wanted you spaced out.”

“Sorry, I was - I was ...  I couldn’t believe that Forester got married.” I stated. While it was a cover up, for a topic I pushed out of my thoughts (for now), I wasn’t completely lying that I was shocked Forester got married because I was. I’d never thought he would get married because he never crossed me as the settling type of guy. The man lived and breathed work. Whenever Colton’s parents would invite him for dinner, he would always have his eyes glued to his phone. If you ever tried starting a conversation with the man he would just give you grunts as reply. It always frustrated me, but of course I never really tired striking up many conversations with Uncle Forester, I had Colton to keep me entertained.

“Yeah, her name is Paula. She’s a real sweet - patient - girl,” Mrs. Pierce stated. “You will meet her at Madeleine's wedding.”

“Mom, it is not your place to invite people to Madeleine’s wedding,” Colton said.

Mrs. Pierce looked at her son oddly, “Are you saying you don’t want Ally to go to Madeleine’s wedding? I’d thought you would have wanted Ally to come with you.”

“I already have a date,” Colton quickly responded.

His mother looked taken back, “Really? Who?”

“Her name is not of the importance-”

Mrs. Pierced waved her hand, “Oh hush, Boy.” Looking at me, “Whether or not Colton has a date, you are welcome to come, Ally. If he does in fact have a date, feel free to bring your own. I know, personally, Madeleine would love to have you!”

“Son, did you...”

Mr. Pierce’s voice got drowned out by my thoughts. Sitting there, I began to wonder what I should ask for this week.

I considered many things like a television, mattress frame, light fixtures, excreta. However, I could never settle on something. Whatever I picked, I wanted it to be something to make this whole situation bearable. I wanted something that was going to keep me going...

Looking over at Colton I watched as he talked with his father. I couldn’t help but give a faint smile for if I erased the past couple of days - if I erased Mr. Sharp from my life and just thought of Colton as Colton, it made me feel happy inside. He can pretend to be Mr. Sharp all he wants but I knew, right then and there, that he was always going to be Colton - my Colton...

As if knowing I was looking at him, Colton glanced over and down at me. It didn’t even take a second before Colton smiled at me. It was the kind of smile I grew up seeing when he was happy - truly happy. However, as quick as the smile came, it slipped off his face as he moved his head back around in the direction of his parents.

In that very moment, I knew exactly what I was going to ask for.

<><><><><>

A/N:

I have to know, if you were in Allison's shoes ... what would you ask for? 

Please:

Vote 

Comment (Be nice!)

SMILE!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

872K 18.8K 66
"Okay, you know what? You're such a jackass and I never should have kissed you," I say. Colton stands up. His green eyes are just as angry as mine ar...
259K 7.6K 31
I pull up outside of his house and I don't move, "Want me to stay here so you have a ride home?" She shakes her head, "No. I'll probably get a ride f...
411K 17.6K 75
The corner of his mouth tilts upward slightly. I smile again. A smile!? A tiny one, but still. "Hm. So I got you to smile, that's progress, yeah? Can...
247 53 27
Small town girl named Rose. who lost her mother when she was very young. Rose lives with her father but he is very depressed as his wife is no more w...