Paternal and Proud [LAMS Shor...

By v3hement

A story about two generations of Laurenses and Hamiltons, and how their lives become entwined through family... More

I - In Denial and Infuriated
II - Isolated and Irremediable
III - Bewildered and Worried
IV - Solitary and Stubborn
V - Observant and Encouraging
VI - Obstinate and Unsuspecting
VIII - Confrontation and Cacophony
IX - Uninhibited and Hearbroken
X - Hysterical and Heartless
XI - Reclusive and Realizing
XII - Fixing and Fortunate
XIII - Awkward and Anticipating
XIV - Mending and Emotional
XV - Paternal and Proud

VII - Enamored and Affinity

99 8 2
By v3hement

Alex Hamilton left his workplace happily, humming to himself, twirling his keys around his finger. He slid into his navy blue sedan and started his journey to John's house.

He could feel himself blushing when he realized that he had the route and address memorized. He knew it had only been a month or so, but he could feel a connection with John that he hadn't felt in so long. He hadn't felt this type of adoration, this type of need to be by someone's side since... well, since Eliza.

Alex turned the corner, nearing John's neighborhood. It was funny - he'd thought that the butterflies he'd felt when picking up John for the first time would go away after the first date, but they came back every time Alex did so much as think about John.

So frequently did he feel the blush dusting his cheeks, the giddy smile on his face, and the nervously excited butterflies in his stomach, he'd begun to associate the entire feeling of happiness with John.

At first, John and Alex spoke mostly of their children. Alexander had quite a handful of them, whereas John only had the one. They discussed their worries, their fears, their love for their kids. They even talked about their hopes and dreams for them.

Alex, at first, had been worried about touching on this particular topic, but found himself naturally opening up and comfortable enough to talk about the mother of his children.

John, as always, hadn't judged or given false sympathy, but had wrapped Alex in a hug that he found himself never wanting to come out of.

It was that moment that he realized he never wanted to be without John.

He had been nervous about telling Philip about them. He didn't know how Philip felt about his mom, and how open he would be to Alex seeing someone new, but when Philip confronted him about it, Alex was beyond relieved.

And when Philip had been supportive - excited, even - about it, Alex couldn't have been happier.

He must have known it was the case after endlessly thinking about him, hoping to receive a text from him, or feeling this level of anticipation before seeing him, but he had really come to terms with it when he talked about John with Philip - he was fully, completely whipped, head-over-heels in love.

And wow, did he love it.

--

Alex pulled up to John's house. He sat outside, parked in his car, trying to calm his nerves and tame his hair.

He was about to get out to greet John at the front door, but he was too busy reassuring himself that John actually liked him that he didn't notice his date open the door himself and slide into the passenger seat.

"Hey, stranger," John winked at him, being overly flirty.

Alex chuckled, lightly hitting John's shoulder, and played along. "Hey handsome."

"You come here often?"

"Only for you."

Alex grinned giddily, starting the car.

"How was work?" John asked, teasing smile lingering on his cheeks.

Alex only sighed and rolled his eyes.

"That bad, huh?" John rubbed Alex's shoulder and gave him a peck on the cheek.

Alex gave John a sideways smirk. "At least I had something to look forward to."

"You haven't been overworking yourself, have you Alex?" John smiled at the comment but his tone descended into seriousness. Alex's heart warmed at John's concern. "You know, it's not good to stay awake for seventy-two hours straight."

"Wow, aren't you smart, Dr. Laurens."

"That's common sense, Alex!"

"I know, I know, I'm kidding," Alex reassured him. Both men chuckled. "In my defense, I only did that once!"

John gave Alex a look. "Doesn't matter, Alex. That's not good for you. You better not fall asleep on me during this date, like last time."

Alex scoffed, but he was grinning. "Hey, I was fully conscious throughout that entire dinner. We had plenty of conversations!"

"Uh-huh," John laughed. "And what, I might ask, were those conversations about, hmm?"

Alex's grin only widened as he stalled. "Um... they... were about... well, you know what, I was too distracted by your pretty face to remember."

"Wow, way to change the subject," John smirked, but Alex caught a faint blush spreading across John's cheeks.

Gravel crackled under Alex's tires as he pulled into the parking lot of the diner. It wasn't a fancy nor expensive place, but it had some romantic qualities and had sentimental value to both Alex and John.

Alex wove his fingers through John's as they entered the restaurant. He let go to slide into the booth across from John, but he took John's hand across the table once he was situated. John just said nothing and smiled.

"So, I told Philip about us," Alex started.

John's eyes widened fractionally. "And?"

"Well, more like he accused me of it."

"What'd he say?" John leaned forward. It could have been subconscious, but Alex felt John's grip tighten on his hand.

"He asked if you were good in bed." Alex smirked, dragging his toe up John's calf.

John flushed, brighter than before, but he gave Alex a deadpan amused look. "Oh, okay," he grinned, knowing that meant that Philip supported the relationship. "And what'd you say to that?"

Alex leaned forward too, smirk playful. "I told him I'd find out tonight."

John just looked at Alex dryly, engaging in the game of footsies. "Alex..." he hummed with a warning tone.

"Kidding, kidding," Alex grinned, pausing. "I told him that I bottomed and you were amazing."

"Alexander!" John kicked Alex's shin as the waitress came over.

Alex threw his head back, laughing his ass off.

"I'll get a beer, and this one'll get a water," John told the waitress. She just nodded, amused as she watched the couple. She tucked the notepad into her yellow apron and tossed her curly hair off her shoulder as she left to tend to other customers.

"Hey, I want a beer too!" Alexander complained. "John!"

"Nothing personal, Alex," John grinned, clearly not feeling sorry at all. "This is what you get for discussing our nonexistent sex life with your child."

"Sounds pretty personal to me."

"In all seriousness, you're driving me home so I'm not letting you drink anything," John said, taking a swig of his beer and then waving it in front of Alex's face.

"Well, you're right, but you're being pretty immature about it," Alex folded his arms and looked out the window, faking being upset.

"Oh, don't be like that, I'll pay for dinner," John caved.

Alex grinned. "I'd accept just to be petty, but there's no way that I'd let you pay for a date."

"You're driving me back and forth, the least I can do is pay." John looked into Alex's eyes, speaking genuinely. Alex paused, almost forgetting the whole argument while gazing back into John's eyes. Wow, I am in love.

"So we're agreed, then," John smirked, noticing Alex's unresponsiveness.

Alex blinked. "Okay, okay, let's split it."

John eyed Alex suspiciously, but he leaned across the table.

Alex didn't need to be told once. Catching John's drift, he met his date halfway, savoring a chaste but loving kiss.

A throat cleared and both men broke away clumsily, sitting back down quickly, unable to meet the waitress's eyes.

The waitress just smirked, unapologetic, and both men gave her their orders, flushing.

--

After the meal, the waitress came back, setting the check on the table.

Alex snatched it, digging his wallet out of his pocket simultaneously.

"Lex! You said we would split it," John yanked out his wallet and held out his hand, gesturing for the check.

"I got it, love, it's fine," Alex smiled, knowing John's reaction to the nickname. Sure enough, John's mouth opened, then closed in a small smile, blushing lightly.

"Alex, come here," John slid his foot down Alex's calf under the table. Over the table, he pulled Alex into another kiss, this one slow and saccharine. Alex melted completely underneath it, needily pulling John closer.

John pulled away slowly, smiling when he felt Alex's rushed breaths against him.

He pushed Alex back down onto the booth. Alex sat down hard, completely floored. "Holy fuck..." he breathed, looking at John with wide, loving eyes. He touched his fingers to his lips lightly, a light pink spreading across his cheeks.

John felt something in his chest melt a little, just looking at Alex.

"What was that for?" Alex murmured.

"This," John smirked, holding up the check and sliding his credit card into it.

Alex was slow to process what happened, much to John's amusement. "Hey, Jo-ohn... that was sneaky of you."

"You'd probably hug Jefferson before you willingly let me pay for a date, so I figured I'd have to take matters into my own hands," John chuckled, referring to one of Alexander's so-called insufferable co-workers.

Alex just laughed. "I'll never pay for a date again if I can get more kisses like that."

"You could've just asked, Alex."

--

Pulling up once again into John's driveway, Alex actually got out of the car this time.

John walked to the hood to meet Alex.

"Thanks Alex, for driving me again," he smiled. "I really love going out with you."

"It's my pleasure, John," Alex replied smoothly. "Again, thank you for paying. You didn't have to."

"For the fourth time, stop thanking me, Lex," John protested.

Alex grinned playfully. "Make me."

John just gave Alex a look, taking the challenge. "Gladly."

He pushed Alex against the hood of the car, leaning in to press their lips together.

Alex slid his fingers through John's belt loops so they were knee to knee, hip to hip, kissing passionately with far too much brevity for Alex's taste. John drew away tantalizingly slowly, and Alex let out a noise of protest.

"Alex, I have a kid, you know. And you have seven." John chuckled when Alex whined again.

"They can wait for us, Jackieee..."

John leaned in to meet Alex's lips again, but pulled away just as quickly, only offering Alex a sloppy peck.

"I have to go, Alex, and so do you." John squeezed Alex's hand once. "Thank you for taking me out."

"I... love you, John," Alex called, right before he got into his car.

"I love you, Alex." John grinned, thanking the Lord for the most perfect night.

He watched Alex drive away, blowing a kiss in the rearview mirror. He didn't think a single thing in the world could ruin his night.

And then he turned around to face his house and saw Frances, wide-eyed, staring, a single tear escaping from her eye, in her bedroom window.

Another tear slid down her cheek right before she yanked shut her bedroom window.

The giddy smile slipped right off John's face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 734 39
Cliche title, but I have a reason for it This AU is set in the late 90's-Early 2000's btw John has been blind all his life. He's gotten used to the n...
10.2K 280 32
Imagine having tough love? This story is about a boy name Oliver. Hills....who has something about himself he knows. but his dad doesn't support it...
200K 4.2K 48
John Laurens: A boy who has lived in South Carolina until he was ten. Homeschool until his senior year of high school. He was finally being enrolled...
10.9K 349 19
John is in his second year of college and he has a dorm with his best friend alexander hamilton! John has had feelings for alexander since they meet...