Arranged

By vanessapiccolo

Disclaimer: strong sexual content He was tall and broad, short milk chocolate hair complimented his bright g... More

1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

5

10.1K 402 22
By vanessapiccolo

Light streamed through the giant windows and spilled over my bed. I rubbed my eyes trying to remember where I was as the previous day slowly sank in. A feeling of dread replaced my relaxed sleep and settled in the pit of my stomach.

I rolled over to see someone standing outside on the balcony, but couldn't make out who it was. I didn't have to wait long to find out; Vlad opened the door, his steaming cup of coffee billowing in the freezing morning air.

He ran his gloved hand through his shoulder length beige-blonde hair. I must have slept through their shift change.

He glanced over at me and did a double take, probably not expecting me to be awake yet.

"Good morning, miss," he greeted in his low-bass voice. "It's early. You should rest."

I shook my head as I sat up. " It's better if I get up now."

"Are you hungry? I'll send for your breakfast," he offered.

I stared at the deep bordeaux wall across the room. "What time is the wedding?"

"Not until this evening. I believe your preparation team will be here in a few hours."

"I guess I'm not allowed to wander around alone?" I asked, turning my attention to the smallest of my four guards. Even being smaller than the other three, he stood nearly six feet tall and his well-maintained full beard made him appear more intimidating.

He offered me an apologetic smile. "Sorry, Miss."

"You can call me Amina," I said as I rubbed my face.

"It'll be 'Your Highness' by tonight."

I swallowed the panic that tried to settle in my chest. My mouth was dry and my stomach churned.

"I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with that."

He grunted a reply and tapped the side of his styrofoam cup. "You should eat. It's going to be a long day."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Can you show me where the kitchen is?"

He let out a light laugh. "Miss, you're royalty now. I'll call your attendant."

That was completely unnecessary. I didn't need or want anyone waiting on me. I was perfectly capable of getting my own food.

I knew the argument was useless though. He wasn't going to risk his job by letting me roam around for food.

I sighed. "Fine."

"You will like Anya. She's my wife."

I offered a weak smile. "How long have you been married?"

"Six years. We met when we were both assigned to Prince Matis."

At least someone found an actual relationship in this place.

"So you're both assigned to me now?"

He shrugged with a sheepish grin. "We enjoy working together. Gives us time away from the kids."

"How many do you have?"

"Five. Three boys, two twin girls. Our baby girls just turned one last week."

"Congratulations. I look forward to meeting them someday."

He nodded. "You will. The royals throw a winter solstice party every year and invite the staff and their families. The kids get a kick out of being at the palace."

I let out a small laugh. "I bet."

"I'll grab Anya for you. Alexei is right outside if you need anything."

"Thanks, Vlad."

Vlad walked to the bedroom door and knocked. Alexei unlocked the door from the outside and let Vlad slip out before closing it again, leaving me to my thoughts.

I heaved a deep sigh and tossed my covers down. The crisp air Vlad let in nipped my warm, exposed skin and chilled my silky shorts and top. I threw my legs over the side of the bed and made my way into the bathroom.

I had to admit, the spa-like setting was phenomenal. My favorite feature was the giant jetted tub under the bay window. The endless counter tops were probably some form of marble that played nicely off the white cabinets and stone gray features. The ceilings soared to a vault and a giant ceiling fan spun lazily around. Even the toilet had a private room inside the bathroom.

As I finished in the bathroom and washed my hands, I heard the main door open and close. I poked my head out to see a woman; my guess was Anya. She reminded me of a ballerina with her lithe body and fair complexion. Her auburn hair was rolled tightly at the nape of her neck accentuating her high cheekbones and perfectly arched brows. Her wide, round, milk chocolate eyes saved her face from being too angular and softened her features.

She wore a simple black dress to her knees and elbows and black flats. As soon as I saw her, I knew she was a were. I had always been able to tell; it was something that my mother hated. She told me it was creepy that I always just knew when someone carried the were gene. They didn't look any different from humans save for improved physical fitness, but it was something in my gut that told me every time. I hadn't been wrong yet.

"Anya?" I asked as I crossed the room to her.

"Yes, Miss Amina," she greeted. "Vlad said you would like some breakfast. What can I get for you?"

My usual shyness crept in and I felt awkward asking her for anything. "Whatever is already being served is fine."

"Nonsense. It's your big day," she chided. "I know how you Americans like your pancakes."

I let out a genuine laugh. Vlad was right. I did like Anya and I was unbelievably grateful to have someone that seemed so down to earth.

"I'm more of a savory eater."

"Bacon? Scrambled eggs?"

I nodded. "That sounds great."

"I'll get the chef started. Coffee and fruit to start?"

"Perfect," I agreed. 

She walked over to the sitting area, picked up an iPad and started typing.

"If you ever need something from the kitchen after I've gone home, you can place your order on this and one of the staff members will bring it up to you."

I nodded and crossed my arms, unsure of what else to do with myself.

Anya went into my closet and emerged with a thick white robe and tan moccasins with layers of fur on the inside. She set the shoes down in front of me and held the robe open. It was going to take a long time for me to get used to someone helping me dress.

"Would you like your coffee on the balcony? This time of year the mornings are beautiful."

"Okay," I agreed. I was never one for the cold, but maybe being wrapped up and drinking hot coffee would help.

She opened the bedroom door to reveal Anatoly, Vlad, and Dominic laughing quietly. She motioned one of them in and Dominic led the way to the balcony. He nodded his greeting to me as he passed me and opened the French doors. The amber in his eyes seemed brighter in the soft morning light and the sun picked up shades of gold in his otherwise dark, precisely combed hair. The black suit he wore was incredibly well tailored to fit his body, so much so that the gun he was carrying was clearly visible.

Anya and I followed him onto the balcony and sat at the small glass table together. Dominic stayed standing and paid us little attention as I expected. He made his stance quite clear and I wasn't going to push the issue.

"So tell me," Anya started. "How was dinner?"

I shrugged. "Edric's family seems nice."

"Was it just Matis and Edric?"

"And his parents."

"Wait until you meet Isabella," she said with a grin.

Dominic tossed her a pointed look over his shoulder, but said nothing.

"Why?" I probed.

"Isabella is their middle sister. She's definitely a wild card."

"Anya," Dominic warned.

"What?" She asked innocently. "Don't act like she never made a pass at your men."

I watched his reaction carefully. He simply rolled his eyes and went back to watching the land.

"Is she nice?"

Anya shrugged. "She can be. She'll do just about anything to get under her parents' skin though."

I wished Dominic wasn't with us. I wasn't going to try digging up dirt on the royal family with him there to snitch on me.

I glanced over my shoulder to see a middle aged man bring in a platinum coffee pot on a tray with several glasses and packets of cream and sugar.

He set the tray down on the patio table and started to set up the glasses.

"Breakfast will be ready shortly, Anya," he informed.

Anya nodded her head with a light smile, silently dismissing the man.

She reached for a glass mug and started pouring coffee. "How do you like your coffee?"

"Oh, I can do it," I said.

"Get used to being served now. If you refuse on political trips it can be seen as a sign of disrespect."

I bit my lip. "Sorry. I've just never had anyone do all this."

She laughed. "It's what I get paid to do. Some of us actually have to work for our paychecks," she tossed in Dominic's direction.

Her tone was light and teasing and I couldn't help but laugh. Dominic seemed less amused by her dig.

The same older man brought out a large tray with a lid on top. He set it down on the glass table and removed the lid revealing an array of fresh cut fruits, sizzling bacon, steaming eggs, toast, and oatmeal. Way too much food for one person.

Anya held a plate out to me and picked up a fork and knife. "What would you like?"

"A little bit of everything?" I said as more of a question. It was going to take a long time to actually ask for what I wanted.

She rolled her eyes and laughed. "Tell me, Miss Amina."

I groaned. "When it's just us, can't I do this stuff for myself?"

"Once you break that crippling shyness, sure."

I caught just a glimpse of a smile playing on Dominic's lips.

"I'm glad someone finds this funny," I grumbled. "Two pieces of bacon, please. And the grapes, a slice of toast and eggs."

She nodded in approval as she started to fill my plate. Her thin hands set the plate in front of me and placed the silverware on the appropriate sides. When she finished, she sat back and folded her hands on her lap. I glanced between her and Dominic, neither one paying me any attention, but I felt awkward regardless.

"Aren't you guys going to have some?" I finally asked.

Dominic turned his amber eyes on me momentarily surprised by my question. Anya cocked her head to the side like I had just asked for her deepest secrets.

"We are employees, Miss Amina. We don't eat with you."

"Oh," I blushed. "I mean, I just figured since I can't eat all of this," I trailed.

"You really have no idea how to do any of this, do you?" She mused.

I shook my head and popped a grape in my mouth.

"Too innocent for your own good," she said lightly. "Please just tell me the prince won't be your first."

I damn near choked on my grape at her bold question.

"Anya," Dominic warned firmly.

He finally fully turned to us, his eyes daring her to ask another question.

Anya's cocked eyebrow and smug grin screamed triumph over Dominic. She knew he wasn't going to physically stop her from talking and he knew it too.

"No, he won't be my first," I replied quietly as I hurried to shove more food in my mouth.

Hell, if it was just Anya, I probably would have spilled all details. I didn't feel comfortable talking in front of Dominic for fear of what he would tell Alexei and in turn Edric. Though, I supposed it didn't matter what Dominic told Edric. Maybe if I opened up in front of him he would tell Edric and that would pique my husband-to-be's curiosity about me. Maybe then he'd be interested on some level.

Anya's eyes slid back to me. "No?"

I shook my head.

"Good. That would have been a tragedy."

I agreed. I thanked my lucky stars I wasn't in a relationship with anyone either. I never stayed with anyone longer than a few months. I never saw the point.

"No one serious, I hope?" She asked carefully.

"God no," I said quietly. I let a smile fall on my lips. "Never saw the need."

"They're all trouble anyway," she said with a wave.

"Even Vlad?" I laughed.

"Especially Vlad," she responded wryly. "The longer you're married, the more they turn into babies."

That was certainly the case with Rick and my mother. The longer they were married, the more she had to do for him. Keep the house meticulous, make all meals, ensure the business doesn't completely flop, the list went on. She was responsible for every aspect of his life and it was never something I wanted. It wasn't how she was with my dad, but I saw how easily she became that subservient person.

"Well, let's get you in the shower and get this day rolling," she said as she started to collect everything on the tray.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

674K 15.2K 41
"I may be your second chance, Wade, but I will not be your second choice." Reeling from the death of his mate, Alpha Wade tried everything in his pow...
28.6M 878K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
2.3M 56.2K 200
I'm a new grad human in huge debt, and cheated by my Omega boyfriend. When I got wasted in a bar, I didn't expect to have the best sex ever. And the...
105K 7.1K 45
Shade Shadows is what the pack calls a Keffer, a cursed name for a being without a wolf and therefore denied the moon goddesses' greatest gift, a mat...