Prodigal - Book III

By azimodo

*COMPLETE* Allayria promised to do what it takes to stop the Jarles, to make the ugly decision. She thinks... More

Table of Contents
Prologue
PART 1: City of Smoke
A Red Queen
Knight to E4
In the Glow of Bombfire
Still You, Still Me
Clever Little Trinkets
A Double, Crossed
The Other Foot Falls
A House Covered in Blood
The Ghost in My Ear
Slumber Darkly
PART 2: City of the Drowned
What We Dream in Electric Sleep
Lightning Bones
Beacon, Here I Am
Smile Sweetly
Nail-Bitten Floorboards
We Can't Go On Together / With Suspicious Minds
I Remembered You, Once
Cut Off Your Face
Glow in the Dark
Lightning Bug //
// Firefly
Look to the Sky
The Emptied House
Lift Off
Breath Across Your Face
The Vicious Victory
PART 3: City of Ashes
What Remains
Inferno
The Prototypical
This Silver Coffin
Forward and Backward
A Two-Faced Man
Thin Red Line
The Brain, the Hand, and the Heart
A Bridge to an Old Life
The Rider on the Pale Horse
Beacon in the Night
Black Smoke and Starlight
Out of the Flames
Crown Me
This Is Not The Way
Throne of Blood
Ave, Queen
PART 4: City of the Forged
Secrets in the Hollow Stone
Belonging That We Seek
Letters in the Dark
A Viper's Nest
The Making of Monsters
The Leap
Door Shut
In the Shell
Ascendant
The Double-Edged Sword
Countdown
A Red Day
Marginal Line
The Mirror's Edge
It Wasn't What I Thought
Broken Buckets (Practice Sticks)
Dust to Dust
- thorn lily -
ThE Only Things ThinkInG
C O N V E R G E N C E
thgiM & Power
Author's Note
Appendix: Characters
Progeny is up!

Doors Open

2.7K 327 123
By azimodo

Fae watches them walk through the tower doors, skinny, knock-kneed things, all tufts of hair and wide, searching eyes. She descends from her room, the bruises beneath her eyes faded, the ones on her neck hidden beneath fabric.

Caj stays behind, waiting at the door as she walks further into the hall, over to the small huddle that constricts at the sight of them, these two beings of words and nightmares, made flesh in the daylight.

Fae kneels down next to the children, not minding the dust on the floor, not caring about the dirt on their knees.

"My name is Fae," she tells them. "Lord Toulonne said you all needed a place to stay, so I thought you could come here, if you like."

"This is Helen," she says, gesturing over to the woman who hovers in the doorway, watching. "She's going to be taking care of you while you stay here."

And then she drops her voice to a whisper only they can hear: "She looks intimidating, but she's not all that bad. She likes butterscotch."

A girl blinks at her, eyes round and transfixed. She's clutching a small, worn toy in her hands whose seams are torn and edges singed.

"Is there food?" one of the boys asks suddenly, peering around and then shrinking back when his voice carries across the hall.

Fae feels a smile—a real, genuine one, almost foreign now to her—touch her lips.

"Lots," she tells them. "Tomorrow I'll take you to the kitchen. I can introduce you to the cook. If you're good, he might let you lick out the icing bowls."

She watches their tiny feet pad across the corridor, trailing like ducklings behind Helen as they wander to their rooms, stomachs soon to be filled and eyes sleepy. She watches and she feels the hand on her shoulder, warm and anchored in a different reality.

She turns back toward it, back toward Caj, and he gazes at her for a moment before saying: "It's time."

She voices the thought that has been lurking inside her head as they climb, side by side, up the long, winding stairs.

"We're going to have to make him official."

"Ben knows," she adds, explains. "It's why... it's why it went so poorly. Keno has been made."

It's a few more steps before he replies, voice low but even: "I know."

She glances over but he keeps his gaze fixed ahead.

"I told him to come," he says after a minute and she stops on a landing.

Caj turns back, looking everywhere else first before he looks at her.

"He's more useful in here now," he says. "Plugging up all the holes he used to get inside."

"He's going to love that," she answers and the line of his mouth twitches upward.

He turns to keep climbing and Fae bites her lip, watching the broad line of his shoulders, his tousled, black hair.

"When do you think we should introduce him to Hin?" she asks and his head turns, the light catching the hooked bridge of his nose, just above the glint of his metal shoulder guards.

"You should introduce them now."

The general is hunched over maps when they enter the room, and her fingers prod rough figurines across the board and she sighs and scowls, brows knit so closely together Fae wonders if they will ever come apart.

"Your Grace," Hin says, bowing quickly before pushing a red object out from the sketch of the tower.

"General, how are things?"

She grunts in answer.

"I'd like to introduce you to my new spymaster."

That catches her attention: the woman's head jerks up, toward the open door, first toward the Queen and the Protector, then to the unknown man standing to their right, leaning on the doorframe.

"General Hin, this is Keno. Keno, this is our commanding general."

The man's mouth stretches into a wide smile.

"Hin Jessyn—from the Fisher's District, up on Third Street. One of a set of twins. So nice to make your formal acquaintance."

"Who is this?" Hin demands.

"Oh, we haven't met before," the man says. "No reason to—you were one of the few city guards who never took bribes."

"Your Grace," Hin begins, eyes narrowing.

"Keno is reliable," Fae answers, stepping further into the room as Caj slides the door shut. "The Paragon personally vouched for him."

The thief flashes a bright smile.

"He's agreed to take on a more formal position now," she continues.

"More formal," Hin catches. "More—"

"He's very clever," Fae pushes on, "and he's intimately acquainted with the seedier parts of this city. The parts that are currently giving us some problems."

With this the thief sits on the edge of the table, leaning over the sprawling map.

"Not all of us," he assures the general. "I'd like you to know that the majority of us are perfectly reasonable, only interesting in some small burglary and blackmail—"

"Keno."

He holds up his hands.

"But of course, with the minority setting everything on fire, there's not much valuable left to steal, which is why we—" he gestures between himself and Hin, "are all going to be such good friends now."

He flashes the general another smile.

"Enemies of enemies are always the best of friends. And friends," he turns, plucking a black figurine off from a western section of the city and plopping it down into the northwestern part, "don't let friends make terrible mistakes. That pocket vacated that building last night. They should be up in the shell of Westling School of the Dutiful Obscure. You're either operating on three day-old news, General, or someone is lying to you."

His teeth are pointed in the hazy daylight.

"Why don't we find out who that is?"

A/N: My boy got himself a promotion... he's all grown up now. *tears up*

In other news: who hasn't bought any Christmas presents yet? This author! Who is sinking under the crushing pressure of slowly constricting time and mounting expectations? This author!! Who keeps delaying any attempts at shopping by curling up and watching dog documentaries on Netflix? This author!!!!

Aka: this weekend is the Christmas Shopping From Hell weekend. I bid you all farewell, it has been a good run.

Also, I'm getting banned from thanking too many people on Wattpad again. (I know, what a problem to have.) So if somehow your wonderful support gets lost in the quagmire that is Wattpad's anti-spam measures and goes un-called out please know its not that I don't appreciate the votes/adds to reading lists. It's that Wattpad doesn't appreciate my appreciation of your appreciation. And I think we both don't appreciate that.

Chapter notes: You might be thinking to yourself: "Westling School of the Dutiful Obscure? That's a mouthful, but also a mouthful that sounds awfully familiar." And what do you know, you'd be correct, because it was mentioned in Paragon's "The Things We Never Wanted to Know" chapter as one of the places raided by the Jarles (with the help of that wonderful man, Brezkin). Fun fact, General Hin is the twin sister of General Jin (their parents were very creative) who was (is) the one working with Ruben and Allayria at the front lines toward the end of Partisan. Neither of them do or would like Keno.

Also, el kiddos were invited into the Tower back in Prodigal's "A Red Queen" because everywhere else is inconveniently on fire. Thanks a lot, Ben.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 74 12
A Necromancer without a soulmate A Crown Prince plagued with nightmarish visions A Mage unable to let go of the past ** Diya, the Crown Prince's b...
231 13 23
Ivelle Preston had a perfectly normal life. She grew up in small English town, and she always wished she had a more adventurous life. Her wish came t...
835 19 38
Amara has been subjected to a life of pain. First, the death of her mother and only surviving family, and then becoming trapped with an abusive, alco...
421 96 47
In the world of Dragonfire, anything is possible. Flying, teleportation, invisibility, the ability to create a lightning storm on a whim...anything c...