Jas. Hook, Captain

De Graph_

*Shortlisted for Wattys 2018* It all began so innocently, two friends who wanted a real adventure in a world... Mai multe

A Small World
The Starry Firmament
Perhaps, the Last Wild Place
"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
Running to Stand Still
Paradise Lost
Together We Stand...
"Two Households, Both Alike In Dignity"
A Road Paved With Bad Intentions
Bad Form

Epilogue

96 12 46
De Graph_

Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
- W. B. Yeats

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
- also Yeats

***

She came to me once more. That very night, in fact. As I stewed over my defeat and brooded over my next gambit.

"I hear you tinkling at the door, Ms. Bell. Do come in," I said.

My cabin remained in disarray after my recent tantrum. I confess, my cup of rage spilleth over.

"How did you know I was there?" she complained.

"Call it pirate's intuition. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Oh, just came to see how you're healing," she said.

"My defining characteristic?" I offered. "Oh, it has long since lost its scabs. Only the bruise upon my ego remains."

Tinker Bell shuffled about, clearly brimming.

"What is it? Have it out, before you wear a hole in my ship and we sink to the bottom of the cove. Have you come to gloat?"

"Goodness, no!" she replied. "Have you never wondered why I brought you here?"

I had, but better to let her speak true and be done. I kept mum.

"Neverland needs its Prince of the Wild."

"And indeed it has him," I sneered.

"But what would Peter be without James?"

"A good deal happier, I'd wager."

"Perhaps," she trilled, "But no Pan."

"I don't follow," I spat back, "And I grow tired of your games." I speared a grape with my hook from a nearby bowl of imagined fruit and let the implied threat speak for itself.

"When I brought you here, I knew Neverland would bring out your true nature. Neverland needs Captain Hook."

"Are you implying that...?"

"Yes."

"So I was meant to...?"

"Of course."

"And I'll always be...?"

"Without a doubt," she smiled, quite pleased with herself.

"Oh Ms. Bell. You are wicked,"

"How dare you," she shot back, facetious. "I am the epitome of virtue."

"And I'm trustworthy," I said, ironic. "Then all my wretched, deceitful, vile scheming is all part of the design, as it were?"

"We all have our parts to play," she sang.

A flash of steel, glinting in the light of the kerosene lamp. My sword settled into a post, humming.

I missed.

Tinker Bell giggled with delight and blew a raspberry, "Thhhhbbbbbttttt..." her thumbs in her ears and her fingers waggling like antlers.

Before she flew out a port hole, I swear I saw her smile. A genuine smile, and perhaps the last I'd receive from her. It would've warmed the remains of my heart if any portion of my heart remained.

"Very well," I spoke to the Neverland night. "So be it. Smee!" I cried. "Rouse the men! We're going hunting."

The End

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

40.5K 1.1K 63
"Everyone thinks they know my story, the story of Peter Pan and Wendy Darling. The story of a nice little girl, who lives in a nice house, with two n...
75K 1.8K 39
(Captain Hook X Reader) You and Peter are flying around until you get stuck in one of Captain Hooks traps. You get escorted to the Jolly Roger and th...
8K 176 38
What happens when the troublesome Peter Pan meets his new , English neighbors and their Darling daughter ? What happends when one of Peters friends...
89.1K 1.8K 30
Unlike many young maidens, Jill had lived her entire life on the sea. She never wore dresses with frills and flowery bonnets, instead she wore tough...