My Werewolf Girlfriend

By AustinAndKaedrik

*Edited and revised final version! Cover by @AverySummers* Alex knows it's weird to have a strange voice in h... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 - Epilogue
Authors' Note

Chapter 38

2.9K 164 2
By AustinAndKaedrik

-Amber-

The way back to the pack-house was quiet. Although we probably could have talked to each other through our link, we were both lost in our own thoughts. Jackie, however, seemed to be on a one-track mind of getting the pup I held to safety. The poor thing had only seemed to have just opened its eyes, but he had fallen asleep on the way back. Even after we had cleaned him off, his scent still matched that of the fallen wolves that we had left behind. Alex informed me that he had let others know that there was an attack on our pack that others hadn't known about. 

My chest clenched in sorrow for those that had lost their lives. They were living under the trust and care of my dad -- their Alpha -- yet were still killed without us knowing they were in danger. 

'Easy there, Amber,' Alex spoke to me softly. 'There's nothing we could have done.'

'That doesn't make it right. They were on our land and rogues attacked them. They managed to get so far in... what about the patrol in the area? What about the other warriors that are supposed to be around?'

'I know,' he replied. I could sense his own frustration and anger. 'We just need to get home to inform the others.'

I nodded as best I could with the pup still in my grasp.

When we reached the pack-house, Alex quickly shifted and headed inside. I chose to stay outside in my wolf form. Wolf hair was a pain to manage and the pack-house already had issues with it. The other reason was it would be easier to protect the pup in my wolf form should anything happen. I placed him down in front of me causing him to wake. 

He looked up at me with wide curious eyes. His scent said werewolf, yet it was odd for one so young to have shifted. Pups were born much the same as humans -- we gave birth as a human to a human. Then, around the time of puberty, they would be able to shift. Alpha children usually shifted a little before then, but even that wasn't too much earlier. Events that would threaten a pup's life would cause an early shift, but even that wasn't until they were old enough to comprehend certain instances. The pup in front of me just made it hard to pin-point his age range.

He blinked once and made a small yipping-like noise, his head tilting ever so slightly to the side.

Okay, that was adorable.

I leaned down and gave his head a long lick of affection. He, in turn, gave a tiny growl that a pup would make and curled up against me.

'I always knew you'd get the motherly type side down,' Jackie teased. Though it contained something of a serious tone to it. 

'Oh shut up. He's cute.'

I looked down at him, my tail covering his front as his eyes started to droop again.

'Yes, he really is,' my wolf cooed, a soft purring coming from her.

I rolled my eyes at my wolf. 'Dork.'

The pup opened his eyes again and looked up; my gaze was pulled away when Alex returned, sporting a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. He was followed by Sierra, my mom, and Sylvia.

"We found him by the small river that runs through Carnip area. We never made it to the residential area, but it appears that a group of rogues had made it that far in. No trouble on the way back." Alex was explaining to them, leading them over. 

Sylvia was the first to make it over to me, kneeling down in front of me, her eyes on the pup. Our pack doctor reached out her hand, wanting to check the pup. He gave a soft whimper and shrunk back. My intention was to step back and let her handle it, yet I couldn't move. Instead the exact opposite happened; I leaned forward, placing a paw in front of him with a low, very threatening growl. 

It took me a moment to come to the realization that I wasn't in control.

'Whoa, Jackie, down girl!' I cried out to her, the sudden lack of control startling me.

Though it happened through the link, the growl that followed made it seem like it was voiced through speakers at a concert. 'Back. Off.'

Sylvia bared her neck and took a step back, submitting to the strong alpha command that was given. I tried to reason with my wolf, sending comforting thoughts her way, but nothing got through to her. I could feel myself start to panic. In all my life, I never once had her take the wheel from me so quickly. I felt shut out and was genuinely afraid of what might have happened next.

Sierra, Sylvia, and my mom all took another step back, but Alex clearly wasn't affected. He walked right up and placed his hand on top of my head, right between my ears. Warmth filled my body as he began scratching lightly, a soft growl coming from him. 

"It's alright, Jackie. She is the pack doctor. We wouldn't let her hurt him. I wouldn't let her hurt him." His voice was soft and quiet, yet firm and confident. A moment later it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my chest as Jackie released control. 

'I'm sorry,' was all she said before going quiet.

I took a step back, but pressed myself against my mate, hoping he would keep her calm. The pup whimpered slightly at the action, but Sylvia scooped him up gently and looked over him. 

"No broken bones or cuts... he seems perfectly healthy," she commented, switching into doctor mode rather quickly. "When he shifts back we can do more, but until then you'll just need to keep an eye on him."

"Thanks, Doc," Alex said, nodding his head in acknowledgment. His hand never once left me.

She bowed ever so slightly and left. Silence filled the area we stood in, everyone seeming a little uneasy towards the situation my wolf had left behind.

"Are you okay, Amber?" My mom asked, looking rather concerned. She too seemed to realize what had happened with Jackie.

I nodded slowly, not entirely certain as to what had just happened. I was very grateful to have Alex there at that moment. 

"We'd better get inside as well," Sierra commented, looking up at the sky. It had grown dark with clouds and the scent of rain wasn't too far off."

I nodded in agreement, picking up the pup, and heading inside.

~*~

"He'll need a name for now, at least. We can't just keep calling him a pup," My mom said, feeding the so said pup with a baby's bottle. 

Jackie hadn't lashed out afterward and I didn't have a whole lot of experience with kids outside the few that I'd play with when they were around. So I was more than happy to let my mom help. A heavy rain-shower had started and had been going on for a few hours. The rest of the patrols had alerted us that they were fine and the immediate rogue issue had been resolved. They were staying inside in a packmate's place to avoid being soaked and would head back once it eased up. 

I was sitting with her and Alex in the living room, waiting for them to return to decide what to do next. I hadn't let my mate leave my side, knowing that if Jackie went off again about the pup, I'd need him there to calm her again. Not that he seemed to mind, thank goodness. I knew that he had issues with Xavier and it made me realize that he felt the same lack of control more times than I could remember. 

And here I was freaking out because Jackie did it once. I'm such a wreck sometimes.

"Jaydon," was my mate's comment. "That's his name."

I looked over at him with a fairly confused look.

"That's rather....?" my mom trailed off, both of us raising an eyebrow at him.

He ran a hand through his hair, letting it flop back into the exact same mess that I loved to run my fingers through. "Xavier says that's his name. I honestly don't understand him sometimes."

I laid my head on his shoulder, "Well it's not bad. I'm fine with that."

My mom only shrugged, petting the pup's head. "We'll need to find if he has any immediate family members alive. A pack may be family, but it's good to grow up in one's bloodline. Or have them around."

Alex nodded. "We can ask after Adam and the others have returned. We'll also have to find the families of the others lost," he paused.

"What's wrong?" I asked, sensing his discomfort. 

"It's getting worse. I may still be a little new at all this, but anyone would realize that having an enemy so far into your territory is just bad news. They shouldn't have gotten so far, to begin with."

"It isn't normal," my mom told him gravely. "Something else seems to be going on, but none of us can put our finger on it. Adam is worried that this is how the other packs started before they fell."

He made a face. "Scary thought."

"Very," I muttered. 

A loud clap of thunder made me jump, my mom and Alex tensing up. Jaydon had begun withering and whimpering from his place in my mom's arms.

I stood up and walked over to my mom, gently taking him from her arms and holding him close. It felt a little odd to be doing such a thing with a wolf pup, but the effect was the same that I'd hope for with any child; he'd calmed down quickly and stopped stirring around.

"I think your wolf has imprinted on him," my mom said softly, at me. 

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Imprinted?"

She nodded. "It's been known to happen with orphaned pups. Another female or male wolf will take them in under their wing as if they were their own."

I looked at Alex who only shrugged.

"What if he has other family members? An aunt or uncle?" I asked, feeling a little worried about the situation.

My mom smiled, placing her hand on my back. "Don't worry, Amber. If he were to have other close family members, I'd honestly doubt they'd have any issues with you taking care of him. Or of you being around should you want them to do so. We're a pack. A family."

"I know but Jackie is still..." I trailed off, knowing she was stirring in my mind at the thought of the pup leaving our sight. An uneasy feeling to say the least. I knew that these things happened -- it was the issue with being a werewolf that dealt with hunters and rogues. It didn't stop me from questioning things, however, as the situation hadn't ever affected me immediately. 

"We will cross that bridge when we get to it," was her reply. She leaned in and kissed my temple.

I looked back at my mate who was making a face.

"You okay?"

He seemed to snap out of his thoughts, giving me a sheepish smile. "Just trying to wrap my head around it, is all."

"Makes two of us," I muttered, still scratching Jaydon behind his little ears. 

Alex stood up, stretching. "I'm going to get some lunch. Y'all want anything?" He offered.

"Whatever you're having," was my simple request.

He nodded and looked at my mom.

"I'm fine, thank you, Alex."

He dipped his head in acknowledgment and left the room. 

"I hope he's okay with this," I commented once he was out of earshot.

My mom sat back with a small hum of thought. "I'm more worried about how his wolf will take it. Jaydon not being his or yours might cause issues. We'll have to keep an eye on that."

I felt more uneasy at that, praying to the Moon Goddess there wouldn't be. We had far too many issues going on as it was. 

~*~

Later that evening the patrols were able to make it back as the storm that came through had died down. A section of the warriors were sent over to Carnip to assess the damage the rogues might have caused in the area. All the other borders were secured and only a few rogues were kept in custody. The rest perished in the skirmishes they had caused. Jaydon was staying the night at the pack nursery with my dad's sister -- my aunt -- who normally looked after orphaned pups. Jackie wasn't totally thrilled with the idea, but I knew better, and having Alex around helped her remain calm. 

Alex and I laid next to each other, staring up at the ceiling. We hadn't said much, everything going on driving our thoughts in too many directions. It was all we could really do to grasp at what needed to be done. It had only been a day or so and things were just feeling crazier by the minute. We both had school the following day, yet none of us knew how we'd juggle it all. 

"I thought my dad was the Alpha for a reason," I said quietly, shattering the silence that loomed over us.

"He is. There's just a lot to worry about."

I rolled onto my side to look at him. "I know this must be a mess for you. You're still new to our world and it's like we're dragging you into the worst of it."

"It's not the worst thing ever," he said, turning his head to face me. "It may be a mess now, but I have a feeling it won't last for too long."

I gave a long sigh. "If we'd met a year ago things would have been easier. Only a few rogue issues here and there. No hunters. No weird Alpha trying to get me. It was quiet and nice."

"I guess I wasn't needed then," Alex chuckled. He turned over as well, his eyes seemingly lost yet sharp at the same time. I felt like I could fall into them and stay there in his loving gaze for eternity. 

"What do you mean?" I breathed.

"I came at the right time. Found you when you needed me the most."

I couldn't help but snort in laughter. "Don't get too cocky."

He gave me a playful wink. "You know you love it."

"Shut up."

"Make me."

I leaned in without hesitation and pressed my lips against him, craving the warmth and electric feeling I got from him. It seemed to wash away my worries and comfort me in a way that I knew he could only do. His arm snaked around my body and I found myself flush against him once more. 

"We'll get through this, Amber. Promise."

-------------

Thanks for reading!

-Austin

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239K 7.8K 40
Alexi is your average high school junior. He gets good enough grades, he has an amazing best friend, and his family is super caring. But, there is a...
1.9K 85 38
Just another human girl living in a world surrounded by werewolves. These mythical creatures are all around her and yet they're all out of her reach...
6.1K 126 14
She is a rogue on the run from her old abusive pack and she lives for freedom. He is a possessive Alpha of the most respected and the strongest pack...
290K 9.9K 33
Brianna finds herself in a different world and life, where she must guard her precious secret, she is human, a species that werewolves overtook years...