Serendipity

By TheBeautyintheBeast

Anik's mother disappeared from his side one night in a busy city park in Seoul. For some reason, neither he n... More

Chapter Two

Chapter One

62 4 0
By TheBeautyintheBeast

I have never seen so many trees before in my life. The further we drive from the airport, the thicker the woods on either side of the two-lane road become, and I can't explain why my anxiety grows with the increasing lack of buildings. 

It's awkward enough driving three hours in a truck with someone I've only met about two times in my early childhood, but even worse that I'm so far out of my element. I've only ever spent my life in large cities- Seoul, and New York. The most greenery that I got to see was in city parks, but now, I'm being sent to live with my Park Ranger Uncle, in the middle of a national forest. I don't do very well with change, and this move is certainly bringing me into new things. I swallow as I gaze out of the rain splattered windshield of my Uncle's vehicle, tightening my grip on the book I have sitting on my lap. At least the orange and red colored leaves give me a beautiful view.

Why did my dad send me here? I tried to argue with him, saying that I could easily stay alone in our high rise while he went on his business trip, or that I could even come with him. The trip is supposed to take him a year overseas to China, but I didn't mind going with him and attending my classes online. However, he insisted that I should come to stay with his brother, saying that it would be great for me to get some fresh air and to spend some time with the family that I haven't seen since I was seven. 

I find a little comfort as my favorite song plays through the headphone that I have jammed into my ear, trying to focus on the Korean lyrics and picking out the voices of the group's members as they harmonize. One of my cousins is actually a member of the band, but I'm closer to his younger brother since we're the same age. In Jong-hyun is the Maknae, or youngest member, of the Internationally famous group, but he is still five years older than his brother, Seon, and I. 

My entire family on my mother's side is famous for something, though their fame hardly means anything in America. My mother was an actress known for her great beauty and shining personality until she left the world of a celebrity to be with my father and me when I was born. Since her sudden disappearance years ago, the media hardly talks about her anymore. They do still bother with the rest of her family on occasion, though, but it rarely interests me. 

My father's side of the family is Irish, and I really don't know much else about them. I spent a lot of my childhood with with my mother's family, until my father and I moved to New York after she went missing. Then, I spent most of my time working or hanging out with friends from school, mostly to keep myself busy enough that I don't have time to think about anything else, like what dozens of possibilities could have happened to my beloved mom. 

I don't really know what I'm supposed to do here in Maine for a year, since there isn't likely to be many modeling opportunities for me in the middle of a forest, and the only person I'll know is my cousin, Katell. At least I should have an ample amount of time to film plenty of videos for my YouTube channel, as long as I can get some sort of internet connection. 

The cab of my Uncle's truck is clean enough, though the greasy scent of his lunch still wafts from a brown paper bag on the back seat. He had no idea that I'm a vegetarian until he stopped to get us food from a place that only serves burgers. He apologized fervently and offered to find somewhere else to eat, but I told him not to worry about it, since I wasn't hungry, anyway. I wish my dad would have given him some sort of clue as to who I am as a person before tossing us together and vanishing. 

Uncle Torin breaks the silence by clearing his throat in a rough, forced-sounding way. "We can stop by the grocery store on our way back from getting Katell from school." Even though his tone is lowered, his raucous voice still makes flinch a little in the confined space. It is so different from the sound of my father, who has a tone as gentle as a songbird. 

I smile politely, fingering the cuff of my sweatshirt. "Thank you. I'm sorry to be so inconvenient."

Torin shakes his head, scratching at his beard nervously. "No- I mean, of course, you're not inconvenient. We're more than happy to take you in. We just don't eat a lot of... well, anything other than meat."

"You and thousands of other Americans." There is a lapse of awkward silence again, filled only by the sound of the tires on the wet road and the windshield wipers. I wish he would turn the radio on, anything to lessen the painful interactions we keep trying to force. As it turns out, neither of us is much in the ways of small talk. 

Torin tries to make conversation again, apparently dead set on talking to me, as he has been trying to do since he picked me up from the airport with little success. "Kat is really excited to see you again. She's already told everyone at school about you coming to stay with us," He casts a nervous glance in my direction to gauge my response to the news. "I hope that's okay. She has so many friends and she blabs when she gets excited. She's lovely, but can't keep a secret to save her life." 

I make a mental note to avoid telling her any details about myself that I prefer to keep confidential, managing a lighthearted chuckle. "That's okay. Is she really popular? It sounds like she has a lot of friends."

"Well, it's a small school, but everyone seems to like her, from what I know. She's a cheerleader, so everyone knows her, at least," I can hear the pride in his voice as he talks about his only child. "All of her teachers love her. She's really just a great girl."  

All that I can recall of my limited memory of my cousin is that she was very bossy when we played with her horse figurines and that she got a pea stuck up her nose on Thanksgiving and cried until Torin squished it so she could blow it out. I wasn't really sure if I liked her then, but it didn't matter since I thought I'd never see her again. Hopefully, we've both matured enough to make this year go by as painlessly as possible. 

Either way, I'm grateful that she will be going to the same school as me. I've never been to a public school before, so I can't help but feel nervous about it. My imagination has been running wild the whole trip, trying to envision what it must be like having the freedom to wear whatever you want to school, as long as it conforms to the dress code, of course. Even as I mentally go through the wardrobe that is packed into a trailer that we pull behind us, I wonder if there are any decent shopping outlets within a reasonable distance. I should look into renting a vehicle, too, so I don't have to rely on Torin to drive me everywhere. There's no way that I'm taking a bus to school, either, so driving myself is the only option to even consider. 

"Oh, you're not allergic to cats, are you?" 

I haven't realized how long he'd been waiting for a response until he decides to continue, which jerks me from my thoughts.

"We have one back at the house. It just came from out of the woods one day and seems to have adopted Katell as her mom. She's a good cat though, mostly just sleeps all day and doesn't cause much trouble."

I shake my head. "No, I like cats." Which is true, as long as they don't shed all over my clothes. If it's one thing I can't stand, it's cat hair.

Torin nods a little, apparently pleased to hear it. "Good, good. You like dogs too, don't you? We have a pair of them. They're both big, but don't let that intimidate you. They're very well trained and friendly."

My stomach flops at the mention of dogs, and I try not to look as excited as I feel, determined to keep my composure. I like cats, true enough, but I absolutely love dogs. "I didn't know you had any..." A smile breaks through mid-sentence, but Torin doesn't notice, keeping his eyes on the road ahead of us. "I like dogs, too." 

My heart constricts a little as I remember my old friend, the familiar pang of sadness in my chest that occurs whenever I see a dog or hear mention of them. I had one when I was younger, and he was the best friend that I ever had. My dad came home with an Irish Terrier puppy one year on my birthday, and I'd been in love ever since. With my dad's help, I'd named my new puppy Liam, which dad told me meant "resolute protection", which he said a dog is the best form of. He handed Liam to me, and stood tall before us, like a King knighting someone, and said to the little red ball of fur, "Your name is now Liam. You are to serve as a companion for my precious son and are to protect him with your very life. Do you understand and accept these terms?" 

Liam wiggled in my arms and twisted around to lick my face in the rapid, exciting way that puppies do. Once he stopped moving for long enough, my dad handed me a leather collar to buckle around Liam's neck, as if to sign the verbal agreement. I laughed, thinking that the whole thing was funny, and I was too happy and distracted by Liam to really care about anything else. Now that I look back on it, both the strange contract that my dad spoke into existence and the definition of my dog's name came into play the evening that my mom went missing as if Liam was aware of and wholeheartedly agreed to my dad's terms. If it weren't for the brave and overly-protective dog, I probably wouldn't be here, either. Liam and I were the only witnesses to my mom's disappearance, but no matter how many times the police interrogated me or how hard I tried to remember, the only memory that I have of that night is of my dog's vicious snarls as he stood in front of me, ready to lunge at whoever else must have been there. 

"We're home." 

I'm brought back to the present as Torin steers the truck and trailer down a worn gravel driveway, one that I would have missed if he hadn't pulled into it. I peer through the windows as we leave the two-lane road behind and disappear into the bumpy pathway, guarded by tall, thick trees on either side. 

After almost a minute of crawling down the driveway, the woods open up to reveal a surprisingly large house with a grassy front yard. With the press of a button on Torin's visor, the doors of a two-car garage open up. He expertly swings the trailer around and backs it into the cover of the garage, so that we can at least stay dry while unpacking my belongings. 

As soon as the truck stops moving, I open my door and hop out, eager to get a better look at the house. It certainly isn't the small log cabin that I pictured Torin to live in. Staying here for a year in this wonderful fortress of the forest seems a bit more bearable, now. 

Though still rustic looking due to a wooden frame and paneling, the home has a modern appeal with a series of huge, picture windows facing the pathway that leads to the road, making it easy to see any visitors before their arrival at the front door. It's nothing at all like the high rise I'm used to living in. I can't wait to see the inside. 

Torin joins me. "Nice, isn't it? You came at the right time, it looks the best in the fall."

I pull the headphone from my ear, forgetting about my cousin's angelic vocals. I don't have to see the property in any other season to know that he's right. The vibrant leaves that litter the lawn and driveway complement the honeyed color of the house's wood, turning the whole place into some sort of October heaven. I've never seen anything like it. "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore." 

Torin chuckles and places a big hand on my shoulder. "Come on, I'll show you around before we get started." 

I follow him obediently up the steps of a grand front porch, where he props open an outside door that looks like it's made of black, intricately twisted iron. He props it open with his foot while digging out a ring of keys to unlock the door. He pauses before opening it to work one of the keys free from the loop and hands it to me. "Here, this is your house key. Don't lose it, okay?" 

I nod, sliding it into the pocket of my joggers as I observe the beautiful but seemingly useless door behind him. "Okay."

Torin turns the doorknob but pauses again before swinging it open. "I know I said that the dogs are well trained, but I still want you to prepare yourself. They might go a little crazy with you." 

I nod again, showing him that I'm ready to be let inside. 

With my confirmation, Torin swings open the door to let me in ahead of him. 

I step into the threshold, crossing from the chilly, damp autumn air outside, into a world of warmth and light. My eyes scan for the promised animals as I kick off my tennis shoes by the door, not wanting to track any mud inside. 

Despite being alerted to the pets inside, the home smells like baked apples and pumpkin spice rather than the expected animal dander. Besides that, I don't see any signs of the dogs immediately. I scan the area for them as Torin steps in behind me, doing the same. 

He chuckles. "They must have heard us in the garage. They're probably waiting by the side door," He explains, kicking his boots off beside mine. "Boys! Anik is here!" His voice bellows throughout the huge house. An excited bark follows immediately, accompanied by the sound of nails clicking on the hardwood floors as they run towards us. 

An Irish Setter is the first to appear from around the corner, tail wiping and tongue lolling as he bounds towards us, whining and yelping in excitement. I bend down to greet the dog, arm outstretched to be sniffed and greeted. 

"Here's Faolan," Torin introduces the wiggly, red dog, holding a hand out to stop him from running into me. "And here comes Boru."

The second dog is the biggest that I've ever seen, but his pace is slower than his companions, as he comes towards us at more of a trot. His legs are so long, though, that he reaches us in almost the same amount of time. The Irish Wolfhound has a dusting of gray on his muzzle, but his brown eyes shine with youth and kindness. 

Faolan accepts my scent in less than a second, before peppering me with wet kisses all over my hand. I laugh, using my free hand to pet him. 

"Boru is pretty old, I'm sure you can tell. I hope he doesn't scare you. He's big, but he's the sweetest dog you'll ever meet." Once Torin grabs hold of Foalan's collar, Boru meanders up to me with a slowly wagging tail. I offer my hand, which he sniffs for a moment before he raises his head to my face and touches his snout to my cheek. 

My chest feels tight as I fight the urge to wrap the gray dog in a hug but settle for a few gentle strokes to his enormous head. I swallow the lump in my throat and straighten up, diverting my gaze to the house, instead. "They're great dogs," I say, grateful that my voice stays strong. 

Torin smiles over his shoulder at me before releasing Faolan, trusting him to behave. "Calm down," He tells him, and the red dog seems to understand, settling down beside me to continue his sniffing. "Let me show you the rest of the house." 

I follow Torin out of the foyer, and into the room that the dogs had just come out of. It opens up into an enormous living room, where four of the five picture windows at the front of the house allow natural light to pour in from outside. Even though it's overcast and sprinkling rain, the room is still bright enough that light from inside isn't necessary. A chimney shoots from the middle of the room all the way through the roof that is reinforced with bare wooden beams. It looks like the room continues forever, even beyond the brick of the hearth. 

"The fireplace works. It's electric, so if you feel drafty at any point you're free to move that dial on the side up if you want." 

I nod but turn my attention to the railing that is suspended above the room, boxing in an open hallway. I look and find a staircase leading to it from the corner of the room, where Torin leads me to next. 

Once facing the stairs, I can see the vast space of a kitchen and a dining room. As Torin leads the way up to the second level, I begin to question how a Park Ranger can afford a home like this. My father could, but he is the owner of his own successful business, as well as a partner to many others. 

My brow furrows as I think about it, but I know better than to ask about his finances. "This place is beautiful," I say instead, listening to how quiet it is. The only sounds are our footsteps and the dogs' as they plod along behind us. 

"Thank you," He says, crossing the hallway above the living room and continuing to a private, enclosed one. "My wife designed the interior when we had it built. She loved modern, open concepts." 

My dad told me about how my aunt died of cancer a few years ago. Assuming that it's a touchy subject, I won't comment on it anymore. 

Torin pauses in front of a closed-door just long enough to gesture to it. "This is my room, closest to the stairs. A few of the other ones are empty, so you have your pick. Kate's is at the end of the hall," He pauses again and opens the door to another room, letting me see inside. "This is the library. It doubles as a study that no one uses. I saw the book you had earlier, so I assume that you read, right? You're welcome to use this as often as you like while you're here." 

I peek inside, marveling at the wall-to-ceiling shelves that lean against every inch of the walls. A neat, empty desk and chair sit near the back of the room. Behind that, there is a window seat built below a skylight, allowing more natural light to fill the space. An excited grin spreads across my face as I plan to spend most of my time in the room, grateful for such a place to spend some time alone. "Thank you, I will." 

Torin nods, smiling at my expression. "As I said, you have your pick of bedrooms. Most of them have their own bathrooms, so just pick whichever one you want. I'm going to start unloading some of your things since I have to go get Katell soon. I'll put them by the garage door, okay?" 

I nod, watching him retreat back down the hallway. Boru watches him calmly from my side while Faolan looks between us for a moment, before choosing to follow my uncle. Once they're gone, I put a hand on Boru's head and smile at him. "Thanks," I say, glad that he chose to keep me company. 

With the enormous dog at my heels, I begin to wander through the hallway, opening doors and sticking my head in. They all seem nice and spacious, but I decide to check the last of the four doors, anyway. The door opens with a slight creak, and I step into the room. This room has the two remaining windows of the four displayed at the front of the house, facing the driveway. The ceiling is vaulted like the rest of the rooms but is triangular in shape to conform to the roof of this part of the home. 

I wander over to the windows, peering down from them. I didn't think that they would open, but there is a narrow balcony just outside, so I search for a latch to open them. Once I find one, I flip it and push the window open, letting in a cold blast of air. Since it doesn't stretch down to the floor, I have to climb out of the window to get to the ledge outside. My feet touch down and I reach out to hold on to the railing so I don't slip on the wet metal. 

From here, I have a view of the whole front yard and most of the driveway, as well as the forest on either side of the house. I lean over the railing a bit to see if I can spot Torin, but all I catch a glimpse of the hood of his truck that juts out of the garage. 

Boru growls softly from behind me, and I turn in surprise to look at him. I never took him as a dog that would express any sort of aggression. He has his head sticking out of the window, with his gaze trained at a spot in the treeline. I follow his gaze but don't see anything. Just as I begin to turn away, though, I catch some leaves rustle, as if something had just moved. 

I look back down at the nose of the truck to see Uncle Torin with a few boxes stacked in his arms, facing the same direction that Boru does. It's hard to tell from here, but I think he's frowning. I look back to the trees again but still don't see anything. I shrug off the feeling of being watched and climb back into the bedroom. It's probably just a bear or some other animal. I'm just being paranoid. I latch the window shut and go back downstairs to help Torin with my things.

_

Author's Note

Long time, no see! Glad to be back, Dumplings. I know I've been in a hard slump this past year or so, but I'm back. Hopefully, this book keeps me motivated to write to you again, even though I haven't done a great job of it in the past. I apologize for ghosting y'all for so long. My writing may be a little rusty, so I'm sorry. I fully expect it to get back up to par as I continue to keep writing more, so please bear with me for a while until that does happen. I'm trying to get my account more active again and to get back into writing like I used to.

Anyway, this is my first attempt at a story like this so hopefully, it's as big of a hit as Runaway Princess, even with plot holes and a mushy storyline. I'm glad to begin a new adventure with you again, and I hope you guys enjoy this one, too! I'll try to make it good, as an apology gift. Thank you all for sticking with me, and I welcome any new fans with open arms. I look forward to any questions or comments that anyone might have. On a related note, I'm aware that I may make some grammar mistakes, along with other imperfections. Feel free to correct me and offer any advice you might have!

For clarification, I'll provide a list of name pronunciations for you below... Irish names can be hard!

Already introduced or mentioned characters:

Anik Cahalan (Our MC) - Aw-nick Ca-ha-lan

Torin Woulfe (MC's burly uncle) - Toe-ryn Wolf

Katell Woulfe (MC's cousin) - Kate-tell Wolf

Boru (Torin's Irish Wolfhound) - Boor-oo

Faolan (Torin's Irish Setter) - Phe-laan

Sionn (Katell's Manx cat) - Sh-on

Hale Cahalan (MC's father) - Hail Ca-ha-lan

Keeva Cahalan (MC's M.I.A mother) - Khe-ee-vah Ca-ha-lan

Soon-to-be introduced characters:

Keir Casey (MC'S future best friend) - Key-ear Case-ie

That should conclude the pronunciation list for now, until new characters with unnecessarily difficult Irish names are introduced in the future. I'll be sure to make a new list for you when that time does come.

Until the next update (give me a week or two, I swear I'll give it to you!),

XOXO,

-A.

~ Glad to be back ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 10 22
Ever wondered what it would be like if a present your mom gave you from a far away place, where everything used to be mythical, contained a secret th...
22 1 17
Irene is a twenty year old girl who leads a normal life with her family. One day, however, her daily life is interrupted by Sioc, a strige found by c...
The Cursed Gift By M

Mystery / Thriller

4.4K 122 15
Macy Chase, an ordinary 16th year old girl bumps into an old lady who she had already bumped into and seen twice. When she bumps into the old lady fo...
Imaginary By FayFay

Teen Fiction

33 2 11
Faye gets dropped off on her first day of preschool, where she begins to feel the excruciating agony of loneliness, for the first time in her life. S...