Egypt

By dark_of_night

A tale about loss, love and friendship. More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen

Ten

100 5 1
By dark_of_night

Weeks passed, and Calla did not come to fetch her from the palace. Irisi and Atemu spent every moment that they could together. Mostly in the gardens or with others their own age; when Atemu was busy with his responsibilities, Irisi would spend the time with the ladies of the court. What had been a strong friendship was solidifying into a much stronger more emotional bond.

Irisi sat on the edge of the pond, watching the lilies float over the surface. She heard footsteps behind her, and she turned to look at who was joining her. She smiled brightly when Atemu rounded the bend, stepping into view.

"I thought I'd find you here." He said. "The older ladies said you finally snapped on the brainless wonders." He said, sitting down beside her.

Her smile vanished, replaced by a scowl. Atemu knew instantly that the blow up had been much worse than what the ladies had made it sound. They truly liked Irisi, which was no surprise. "Those airheads are getting on my nerves. They ask the same questions every day, and every day I give them the same response, none, in the hopes that they will tire and finally shut up. They went altogether too far today and I put them in their place." She explained.

He had to fight not to smile; he knew full well the kinds of questions the young ladies of the court asked her. She had ranted about them previously. He too was questioned often by the men of the court, though not as extensively as she. None wished to insult the Prince.

"My dear, you should not let them get to you. They know nothing of us." He told her firmly.

She smiled at his wording and nodded, "I know, we've made sure that it stays private." She agreed serenely.

"Father has made some leeway with the temple; he says he may have found the solution." He told her.

"That is wonderful!" She said with a laugh of relief.

"I hate waking up every day thinking that you might be gone by nightfall. If he succeeds then we can both rest easier." He said.

"That will be well indeed." She agreed.

"I have heard tell that guests will be arriving in the next couple of days." She said, telling him of the rumours circulating amongst the Ladies.

"Ah yes, a delegation from Alexandria," He informed her. "There will be a grand feast and much entertainment." He told her.

She smiled brightly, "Sounds like a wonderful occasion." She said.

He stood, pulling her up with him. She let him lead her along the path, to a little patch of grass amidst some trees, offering them shade. He sat down, pulling her against him. She rested there, laying part ways on top of him. He had an arm around her, and her head rested against his shoulder, the smell of her hair mingling with the scent of the garden. She could feel the muscles of his chest at her back and closed her eyes, revelling in the closeness.

"This is nice." She heard his deep baritone. She smiled and nodded.

"It's so peaceful. More than I've noticed before." She murmured.

"This is our place now." He told her gently. "No one can take it from us." He said with determination.

She tilted her head to look up at him and smiled a small, happy smile, "Good." She said.

He met her gaze with his violet eyes. "I know my father can set you free." He murmured, pressing his lips to her forehead in a gentle kiss.

It was the first such contact they had of the sort, until that moment they had settled for holding hands or sitting close to one another. He wrapped his other arm around her, holding her close to him. She was content to sit in his embrace, listening to him speak as he told her of things that he had seen on his trips into the city.

Her eyes had drifted closed, she was still awake, but she was lulled into a sense of safety by his deep voice. Her long hair she had kept down that day and it hung around her bronze face, draped around her shoulders. She was dressed in a soft blue dress with gold trim. He was wearing white and gold. They both had removed their sandals to sit in the

The next morning found them both free, an unusual occurrence for the prince. They were back in the garden, using their free time as they saw fit. She was lying on her back in the grass, looking up at him as he sat beside her. She had her hands folded on her stomach, her legs crossed as she readjusted the white dress she wore. He was discussing what would happen once the delegation from Alexandria arrived.

He paused in his explanation when she sat up, hearing footsteps on the path. Her usually serene face had twisted into a mask of confusion, a frown playing across her face. They had made sure that they were not to be disturbed for any reason unless it was an emergency of State.

"Who died?" He growled as a guard stepped into view. He pulled her up with him as he stood.

"Your highness," The guard bowed, "The party from Alexandria have arrived. Your father is requesting your presence in the throne room." He bowed to Irisi as well, "You as well, my lady." He said.

Irisi was silent as Atemu thanked the guard and sent him on his way as they gathered their sandals and walked inside. Irisi had to rid herself of her irritation at being interrupted, and by the time they reached the doors to the throne room, her face was a cool mask of serenity once more.

They walked into the throne room, bowing low to the Pharaoh. "My son, good, you're here," He said, "You and Darling Irisi come and sit here." He instructed.

Atemu nodded and led her up to the Pharaoh. Today she had a full pavilion type area just for her and Atemu. His father was going all out to get them together, and treating her like royalty was just one way. She was not about to bring attention to the new treatment, having a good idea what the Pharaoh was up to. Atemu merely gave his father a look with a raised eyebrow.

The pair seated themselves just as the party from the coastal city were announced. They watched as a small group of people approached the throne. Atemu sat beside her, an arm wrapped around her shoulders. She sat back into his embrace as she studied the newcomers to Court.

The Pharaoh had to stop himself from chuckling at the two young adults at his side. It was so clear that they were more than just friends. They were the picture of perfect happiness, all smiles and silent laughter. He glanced at them out of the corner of his eye and he knew what his guests saw.

Atemu, crown Prince, only son of the Pharaoh, tall and imposing, his face alight with joy, with a way about him that commanded obedience and loyalty. He watched their guests with his calm demeanor. Irisi sat beside him, gentle and wise, a pretty young woman with a sharp wit and a wicked sense of humour. She too had an imposing figure, a striking beauty with bronze skin and long black hair. Her grey eyes were pale and flashed with amusement and an underlying sense of wariness. She had an air of serenity about her as she watched the guests approach the throne.

Everything he knew about the young woman came to mind then. She was calm and serene, with a temper that rarely ever reared its vicious head. She had wit aplenty, and a sense of humour that was rare to find in anyone, least of all a noblewoman. She knew her own mind, and was quick to tell you off if she felt you were forcing her to do something she thought was wrong. Most intriguing was her outlook. She had an odd way of looking at things, and she certainly spoke her mind about things when she felt comfortable enough to do so. The pharaoh was more worried about what the party from Alexandria would think, or say, when they got to know her better. She was easy to like, if she didn't try to scare people away with her sharp wit.

He noted how the nobleman's daughter eyed his son and Irisi. He kept the frown off his face, though he did notice that Irisi's carefully calm mask wavered for a mere moment as she took in the girl. "Welcome, friends." He said.

"She stares so obviously." Irisi muttered to Atem.

Atemu bit back a laugh, "Are you jealous?" he asked her, amused.

She covered her mouth as a giggle escaped. "Hardly," She said resting her head on his shoulder, "You wouldn't be so foolish as to get mixed up with her sort. She looks like she's another of those air headed bimbos." She said.

Atemu's rich laughter rang out, causing everyone to look at them. Irisi was overcome with a fit of the giggles. Her long hair fell in her face as she hid it from view, doubled over. Atemu cleared his throat and sobered up quickly, trying to save face. "Sorry." He muttered to his father.

The pharaoh said nothing, highly amused by their antics. He didn't show this in front of their guests however, as the look on the daughter's face could certainly kill. The nobleman bowed, "We have brought gifts for you and yours, Majesty." He said politely.

The nobleman waved a servant to him. The servant was carrying a wicker basket. Atemu and Irisi leaned forward, intrigued. The nobleman took the basket and bowing, set it before the pharaoh, who took the lid off.

"What is it, father?" Atemu asked.

"Kittens," he said. "There are three here." He lifted them out, one at a time, handing them to Atemu and Irisi, who smiled brightly as she examined the small creature.

"These are acceptable gifts." The pharaoh said.

"I'm glad." He replied with another bow.

Irisi smiled as she and Atemu studied the kittens. They were of the hairless variety, anything more wouldn't survive long in the Egyptian heat. Atemu was inwardly marvelling at her reaction at the small creature.

"Come sit, Lunch will be served shortly." The pharaoh said as tables were set up. A small table was set up at the edge of Irisi's pavilion.

"Thank you Majesty, we would be honoured." He said as he sat.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

650 54 50
This is a story about friendship and love.
624 149 35
An adventure story
Serendipity By Chuchuchu

General Fiction

65 0 10
A story of an ordinary girl living a normal life when she finds herself frequently bumps into someone stranger. Meanwhile, that girl is fond also of...
1.5K 77 16
A book. Interpret it how you want.