DOG TAILS | KIBA INUZUKA

By AMBrossart

Ikuko, a self-involved and inconsiderate Konoha teen, is about to be taught a very important lesson, and it c... More

1. The Princess and the Fleabag
2. There's No "I" in "Team"
4. A Rude Awakening
5. Entering the Dog House
6. Playtime
7. Itching for Revenge
8. Lee's Search Party
9. Spilled Milk
10. The Green-Eyed Monster
11. String of Fate
12. Striving for Selflessness
13. The Bitter Truth
14. The Forest
15. A New Leaf

3. Beware the Bushy Eyebrows

2.4K 134 74
By AMBrossart

"Wow, he's so amazing."

"Just look at him. Have you ever seen anything so perfect?"

Nestled safely in our spying tree, Yuzu and I had the perfect view of Neji's training session. Although we'd watched him many times before, he never failed to amaze us. His movements were so fluid, like a dance. That boy could move his body in ways I never thought possible.

In the three passing years, Neji had matured into such a strong, handsome ninja. And his eyes ... Oh, his eyes were the most beautiful eyes I'd ever seen, white like the moon in the night sky. We'd only spoken once, but it was the single greatest moment of my life — even though he'd scolded me for not taking my mission seriously. His voice was more beautiful than any song.

"Oh, Neji-kun ..." I sighed, leaning against the tree trunk.

Suddenly, my perfect view was obstructed by a most horrifying sight: two dark, bushy eyebrows, like a pair of fuzzy black caterpillars.

"Ikuko-san!"

"Yaaaaaah!" I lurched back and smacked into Yuzu, who then lost her balance, and we both crashed to the ground. Yuzu hit the dirt first, and I fell on top of her. Dark green leaves showered over us both like rain.

Lee was at my side in an instant, offering his hand to me. "I'm so sorry, Ikuko-san. Please, forgive me!"

I took his hand, letting him pull me up from the ground; then I helped Yuzu up, who was still a little shaken. I smiled down at her and brushed the leaves off her clothes. "Sorry, Yuzu."

She smiled back, rubbing her head. "It's okay."

Meanwhile, Lee was still standing in front of us, staring at us with his big, creepy eyes. "What were you doing up in a tree?" he eventually asked, confused.

We both froze, exchanging panicked glances as Lee's eyes started to become clouded with suspicion. I couldn't let him find out we were spying on Neji. What if he told him? How embarrassing!

"I know what you two were doing," he said, a smirk forming. Yuzu grasped my shoulder as we watched his mouth twitch, beginning to form those criminalizing words. "You guys were ... training, weren't you?"

"Ehhhh?" I nearly fell over, but I quickly recovered. "Yes! Yes, that's exactly what we were doing, weren't we, Yuzu?"

Yuzu just stared at Lee with a blank expression, so I gave her a shake to get her started. "Y-Y-Yeah, that's it!"

"Of course!" Lee exclaimed, taking my hands in his. "Oh, Ikuko-san, you're such an amazing kunoichi — beautiful, smart, and talented!" As he spoke, his eyes passed down my pale blue kimono blouse to my black shorts and fishnet tights, and a blush quickly spread across his cheeks.

Although I wished the compliments were coming from Neji's mouth, I appreciated them nonetheless. He might not have been the most attractive ninja in the village — not by a long shot — but he definitely knew the way to a woman's heart.

Just then, as if Fate had intervened, I heard Neji's deep, melodic voice as he approached us. I just about fainted from the sight of him. So close. I could almost touch him. 

"Lee, we're supposed to meet Tenten," he said.

"Right. I almost forgot."

Slowly, Neji's eyes flickered down to Lee's hands, which were still entangled with mine. I quickly pulled my hands away and smiled admirably at him. "Hello, Neji-kun."

He gave me a brief, uninterested glance before turning and leaving. He might as well have stabbed me in the chest.

"Goodbye, Ikuko-san!" Lee called over his shoulder as he ran after Neji.

Letting out a deep, depressed sigh, I hung my head in defeat. Why must he torture me so?

When I finally looked over at Yuzu, I was most bothered to find her back on the ground. In her hand, she held a tiny black beetle, and she was looking at it like it was the most interesting thing in the world. The foul insect was crawling all over her hand, and she was just smiling!

"Yuzu, what are you doing?" I asked.

She glanced up at me. "Hmm? Nothing."

But I knew it wasn't nothing. "Yuzu, what did I tell you? Shino is no good for you. You can do better." Not much, I had to admit, but better.

"I know, but ..." Reluctantly, she put the beetle back on the ground and then stood up. "Sorry, Iku-chan."

I shook my head. "Oh, Yuzu, we're both cursed at love, aren't we? We're going to stay single for the rest of our lives, just like Haruka-sensei!" Just the thought made me want to cry.

Yuzu placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. "It's all right, Iku-chan. Let's go. I hear Sai's looking for girls to help him understand women better. Just last week, he told Sakura that she reminded him of a pig, and she just about killed him! He was just trying to compliment her hair color."

Just like that, my spirits were suddenly lifted. Sai was really handsome, and an amazing artist. One time, he said I was more beautiful than a blossoming rose. He had such a way with words despite his awkward manner. I pictured his handsome face, pale as the scrolls he painted on, and his eyes, as black as ink, staring lovingly into mine as he pulled me into his arms.

I blushed and grabbed Yuzu's arm, pulling her along with me. "Come on, Yuzu. We don't wanna keep Sai waiting!"

The handsome ninja was sitting alone on a bench when we finally stumbled across him, his nose stuck in one of his weird social etiquette books. He didn't even notice us standing in front of him, but that didn't stop us from sitting down next to him.

When he finally noticed us, he gave us a small but pleasant smile. "Matsubara-san, Takeda-san, I'm happy to see you both."

Why so formal? I thought but shrugged it off. "Hello, Sai-kun," I warmly greeted ... only to realize he'd returned to his book again. A beautiful woman is sitting next to him, and all he cares about is his book?

"Why did Haruno-san get mad when I told her she looked like a pig?" Sai eventually asked as he, Yuzu, and I sat together on the bench. I, of course, was in the middle, scooting closer and closer to him with every word he spoke. His nose was so deep in his book that he didn't even notice.

"Well, women don't like being compared to farm animals," I explained, leaning forward to try and get his attention. "We'd prefer to be compared to something pretty."

"Pigs are pretty."

"I guess," I replied with a shrug.

My response prompted Sai to glance up from his book, and he immediately noticed the close proximity we shared. He raised a curious eyebrow before flipping through his book once more, skimming through the text aloud.

"When a girl moves closer to you, it means ..." Sai's voice drifted off as he continued down the page; then he closed the book and leaned back against the bench, sitting in an awkward silence.

"Sai-kun ...?"

Slowly, cautiously, Sai's right arm floated up from his lap and went around my shoulders, gently pulling me closer to him. My face flushed in an instant. It's really happening! 

Then he turned toward me, his ink black eyes melting into my honey brown ones. It was just liked I'd imagined. Of course, I would've preferred to have been alone with him because it was a bit awkward with Yuzu sitting right next to me, but oh well, I'd make it up to her later.

With his other hand, Sai brushed a strand of hair from my face, making my cheeks burn and my heart flutter with anticipation. When his fingers found my chin, I thought my heart had stopped beating entirely. Time stood still as he gently pulled my face toward his, his lips hovering over mine. I closed my eyes and waited for my moment of bliss, my first kiss.

Then I heard a low growl.

Are you kidding me? Reluctantly turning away from the man of my dreams, I opened my eyes to see Akamaru's jealous, growling face right in front of me. The mutt had exploded over the years, turning into some freakishly huge beast, like a science experiment gone horribly wrong. Of course, Sai didn't seem scared, and he had no reason to be. After all, he could handle that mangy mutt!

Since Akamaru was standing right in front of me, I knew his fleabag owner wasn't far behind. When he finally showed, I wanted to strangle him for ruining my perfect moment with Sai.

"Eh? Akamaru, what are you doing?" Then he looked over at Sai, who was still sitting very close to me, and he seemed even more confused. "What are you two doing?"

Before I could speak, Sai replied casually, "Well, I was going to kiss Matsubara-san—"

Kiba's jaw dropped. "Ehhhhhh? You were gonna kiss her?"

"Of course." Sai's eyes passed over Kiba's bewildered face. "Oh, do you have romantic feelings for Matsubara-san? Is that why—"

"WHAT?" Kiba shouted. "I don't have feelings for her! Akamaru's the one who freaked out, not me!"

Then Sai's black eyes flickered over to me. "I can see why you'd like her. She does strongly resemble a dog."

Now it was time for my jaw to drop. "What? I don't look like a dog!"

I couldn't believe my ears. The love of my life was insulting me right to my face, calling me a dog — a dog of all things! How could he? That jerk! I felt like my heart was shattering into a million pieces. Were there no decent men left in this world?

Enraged, I jumped up, grabbed Yuzu's arm, and stormed away, dragging my poor friend with me.

To calm me down, Yuzu thought it would be a good idea to get a bite to eat, so we went to Oshiro's, my favorite restaurant. It was a very classy establishment, with a very romantic atmosphere. Oshiro's was the place where lovers dined, where love blossomed by candlelight and long-secret feelings were finally expressed. I had hoped to go there with Sasuke, Neji, or Sai, but I still appreciated Yuzu's gesture, especially since she'd offered to pay.

"I can't believe that jerk!" I sat back in my seat, still furious.

She picked at her food. "Who? Kiba?"

I shook my head. "Sai — and Kiba."

"Well, you can't get mad at Sai. He doesn't know any better."

"But for him to try to kiss me and then call me a dog!"

"Oh, please. He tries to kiss everyone, even Naruto."

My eyes bulged. "Naruto? He tried to kiss Naruto?"

She blushed. "It was just a misunderstanding. He was confused."

I hung my head in shame. "I'm never gonna get my first kiss."

"But you've already had your first kiss," Yuzu said with a laugh. "Akamaru's kissed you at least a dozen times."

I clenched my fist. "Shut up!"

Yuzu giggled. "Sorry, Iku-chan."

Once we'd finished our food and were getting ready to leave, Yuzu suddenly stopped and slapped her hand to her forehead. "Ugh, I forgot! I was supposed to deliver this medicine to Inuzuka-san." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small, dark bottle. Then she looked over at me. "Iku-chan, could you please do me a favor?"

I knew where she was going with this. "No way! I'm not taking medicine over to the mutt family."

"But I have to run errands for my mother, and I'm already running late. Please, Iku-chan."

I groaned. The Inuzuka house was so far away, practically in the middle of nowhere. And all those dogs! I didn't want to be around all those slobbering mutts. But at the same time, I owed this much to Yuzu. She never asked me for anything. How could I turn her down in her moment of need?

Rather easily, actually.

"I'm not doing it," I said flatly.

"Ikuko!"

"What? It's your job, not mine!"

"Ikuko!"

"I have things to do, too!"

"IKUKO!"

"Oh, fine, I'll do it! ... But if I don't come back, you'll know why, and it'll be all your fault!"

"Thank you!" Yuzu pulled me into a tight hug before handing me the medicine bottle. "You're a great friend, Iku-chan. Good luck!" And then she ran off.

I sighed and clutched the medicine bottle. Today just wasn't my day: Neji broke my heart, Sai called me a dog, and now I had to deliver medicine to Kiba's house of hounds. But I was going to do it, only for Yuzu.

Most of the houses in Konoha were fairly close in proximity, but because of all the dogs they kept, the Inuzuka clan preferred to live in seclusion. It was an hour walk if you took the main road, but you could cut your time in half if you went through the forest. To save time, I went through the forest, reaching the house just as the sun started to set.

I'd never been to their house before, but I knew I was in the right place from the smell alone. The air held a thick wet dog stench, and I could hear dogs barking all around me. Although I didn't see any nearby, I knew they were lurking around every corner, ready to pounce!

Hesitantly, I approached the front door and gently knocked. Moments later, the door opened, and I was forced to face the terror that was Kiba's mother.

Ever since I was a child, his mother absolutely petrified me. She was so scary looking, and she spoke in such a rough voice; I thought she was going to bite my head off with every sentence. Of course, it didn't help that I was mean to her only son, but she only knew Kiba's side of the story, which was a lie!

"Inuzuka-san," I greeted as politely as I could, hoping that she wouldn't attack me.

"Ikuko, to what do I owe this pleasure?" She leaned against the door frame and crossed her arms over her chest. I could see her claws sticking out from her fingers, sharp as daggers.

I held out the bottle of medicine. "I'm delivering the medicine from Takeda-san."

"Oh, thank you." She took the bottle from me. "I have a little cough, you see. It's made my voice quite hoarse."

"Sounds the same to me," I muttered, thinking she wouldn't hear.

I was wrong.

"Have you seen our new puppies?" she asked, giving a devilish grin. "I'm sure they'd love to meet you."

I took a step back. "No, thank you. I'd better get home, actually."

"Oh, but don't you want to say hello to Akamaru?" She turned her head and called into the house, "Akamaru!"

Stumbling back in fear, I let out a loud yelp, spun around, and then scampered down the stairs. Her roaring laughter echoed through the wood as I ran as far as my legs would take me. My legs, unfortunately, didn't take me very far before I got tired.

As I leaned against a tree to catch my breath, I heard a series of howls. My head shot up and turned in the direction of the source.

In the distance, I saw a soft, glowing light, and the smell of smoke filled my nostrils. Curious, I followed the light deep into the forest, and the howling soon got louder. I could see the smoke now as it wafted out from the chimney of a small hut.

Slowly, I approached the hut and peered in through the open door. In the center of the room was a small fire, burning incense probably, and sitting around the fire were six large dogs. In between the dogs, sitting quietly, eyes closed in prayer, sat an old woman with long grey hair and the red fang markings of the Inuzuka clan.

"Ikuko Matsubara," she called with her eyes still closed, and I jumped upon hearing my name. "Come in," she said, making a beckoning motion with her hand.

Cautiously, I walked inside, stopping just a few feet short of the circle of dogs. The old woman's eyes were open now, her black pupils the same as Kiba's: vertical and slit-like.

"How do you know my name?" I asked.

"I know a lot about you, Ikuko. My name is Biyoku. I believe you know my grandson."

I cringed. She was Kiba's grandmother? Great. Just great.

Biyoku rose from the ground, taking with her a long black cane to help her walk. "You're heading down a troubling path, young Ikuko," she warned as she slowly approached me. "You take people for granted and think only of yourself. Your selfishness will destroy you. I've seen it!"

I felt my fist clench in anger. "How dare you speak to me like that? You know nothing about me!"

She took another step toward me. "Pride can be a dangerous thing, young Ikuko."

"Why are you saying all this?" I backed away, suddenly frightened of the strange old woman.

"I want to help you, teach you what it means to be a ninja, to be a human being. What I'm about to give you is a very rare gift. Not many get this type of opportunity, so don't waste it."

"What are you ...?"

Biyoku suddenly began chanting in a strange tongue, saying what sounded much like the prayer I'd caught before, but slightly different. She was speaking with such intensity that it was almost manic. Then she lifted her black cane and began waving it around, circling it around my head as she chanted, and then suddenly ...

Whack! She struck me on the top of my head with her cane.

"What the hell!" I shrieked, stumbling back. "What are you trying to do — kill me? You nearly cracked my head open, you old bag! Oh, just you wait until my father hears about this!"

As I stormed out of her hut, I heard Biyoku's last words to me: "You'll thank me for this, young Ikuko. You'll thank me ..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

629K 18.9K 41
Follow Rei Ducibella on her journey to become a legendary ninja, along with her best friend, Naruto Uzumaki. When Rei feels Pain for the first time...
19.7K 803 40
A girl who thought everything in her life was "A pain" similar to what her brother always says, but soon her future gets on a bumpy ride with her cru...
341 53 10
Wanna know what this is about? Well read and find out. Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or any other characters (ugh sadly 😩)
98 0 9
Blaine is the new kid at Konoha high. He's a typical loner having always moved around. What happens when two guys at his new school show interest in...