MAGNOLIA - PAUL LAHOTE

By Gabbriella_Niquole

"I wish I could pretend I didn't need you." More

INTRODUCTION
ONE
TWO
THREE
AUTHORS NOTE

FOUR

3.1K 108 23
By Gabbriella_Niquole

"You need to explain," Jared speaks sternly still, yet quieter after he got a 'shh' and a wack to the back of the head from his little sister, reminding him she had just put the baby back to sleep. They say their goodbyes as their friends leave before gettin ready to talk.

"You need to calm down," she says annoyed as she sits down on the couch.

"I'm realizing how much shit you hid from me, and I'm not happy about it," Jared says annoyed, causing Devon to roll her eyes.

"You were never around it wasn't exactly difficult to keep everything from you," she threw back at him, her bitterness towards her brother coming out. He kept his mouth shut after those words.

"Our father didn't willingly permanently leave us. I threw his ass out. I continue to throw his ass out. All he does is leech off of me and my hard work, stealing my money to fuel his addictions. He has no place here, and I will continue to make that clear to him," she says frustrated to Jared.

"You should've told me, I could've helped-"

"No you couldn't! You want to know why? Because you were never here! You were always off in your own world living your life as best as you could possibly make it, as if your parents didn't leave you and your sister! As if your younger sister didn't have to become your mother! I am a child raised to be a mother, that is all I am and all I will be for the next 18 years. It is all that defines me because I have never had a fucking choice and it makes me sick," she interrupts him and yells, her frustration growing as tears well up in her eyes.

"I don't even have any dreams or aspirations anymore. I don't even know what I would try to make of myself, because it hasn't been a possibility to me in years. Don't you get it? I would never be able to leave you behind, and I can never leave Anthony," she continued as she looked up at Jared, his eyes shining with tears as well as he takes a deep breath.

"I'm going to bed," and with that, the crying teenage girl makes her way up the stairs, sobbing quietly as she crawled into bed.

________________________________

Devon wakes up first the next morning, sighing as she remembers the previous nights events. She takes a brisk shower before blow drying her hair and putting on undergarments and a large oversized hoodie which fell mid thigh, slipping house slippers onto her feet. Anthony was still asleep, so she grabbed a baby monitor and made her way to Jared's room to wake him up.

Upon opening his door, she discovered he wasn't there. Sighing, she set the baby monitor down and looked around at the mess before getting to work.

She put away his clean clothes and organized it all while filling his basket of dirty clothes. She threw away trash and organized all his things before vacuuming and throwing his bedding into the basket as well. Once everything was organized, she carried the basket downstairs and began the laundry.

Once she had that going, she made a cup of coffee and sighed, going to sit in the living room on her laptop and begin homework while Anthony slept. Babies this old can sleep through the night, especially if they're bottle fed, if you don't sleep with them. As much as Devon loves cuddling sleeping babies, it's good to establish that tiny bit of independence early, and she needs it as well because it's hard to be productive with a baby on you all the time.

Devon has just finished her work and gotten ahead too, before she heard Anthony making noises on the baby monitor. She went upstairs and looked down at him in his crib, smiling at the happy baby. He was just chilling.

"Good morning, love. Let's get you a clean diaper and some food," she says to him, making him smile as she reached her arms into the crib to pick him up. 

She decided to put her illegal fighting career on hold for now, due to the fact they were pretty financially stable between money from their mom and her waitressing job. That would be a job for when she was desperate. But she would make sure to keep up with training and still have a match regularly so she doesn't lose her touch.

Once Anthony is dressed for the day and fed, Devon contemplates what they should do for the day. He's laid on his back in the living room floor when she hovers over him with a smile, sticking her tongue out, causing him to smile and try to do the same. She giggles as he does, relishing in how perfect he is.

Devon remembers there's a farmers market that day, and quickly gets to work. She makes sure Anthony's diaper bag is packed and she has her things, before slipping tennis shoes on and grabbing his sling.

The drive isn't too long, and Devon enjoys walking around the market with Anthony on her chest. She talks to him as she walks, pointing out different objects, foods, and colors. He doesn't quite understand but hearing it all over time will help him learn.

Her hair is tied back in a low pony tail with a scrunchie as she grabs all the produce her heart desires.

"Anthony, this is a tomato, you're not going to be a picky eater like your big brother was and you're going to enjoy them," she tells him as she fills a bag with tomatoes.

"He's so cute, looks just like his mommy too," Devon hears, looking up to see a kind middle aged woman.

"Thank you," she smiles gently, not bothering correcting her in the fact that she's not his mom.

"How old is he?" she asks Devon, who smiled while looking down at him.

"He's just over two months," she informs her before kissing his head.

"Well, he looks like a very happy and healthy baby. It's a hard job that only gets harder as they age but you're doing amazing, sweetheart," the woman says to her kindly before walking away. Devon's heart fluttered with happiness from the praise she just got. She's had a good day with Anthony and that was very sweet of that woman.

After the farmers market, Devon decided to take Anthony for a walk on the beach. He liked looking at and hearing the ocean, it was interesting to him and soothed him.

After he fell asleep, Devon made her way home and put up the groceries and switched out the laundry, before making her way to Anthony. She sat by his side as she worked on more homework and got a lot done. This isn't as hard as she thought, and it's all getting easier as she gets used to it.

Once Jared's sheets and clothes were dry, she made his bed and put all his clean clothes away, placing his basket back in the corner of his room. Anthony woke up, and she changed, fed, and burped him, before putting him in the sling on her chest and making her way into the kitchen.

She connected her phone to the speakers before playing some Sinatra, getting the ingredients to bake some brownies. She sang to Anthony and bounced him as she made them, putting the pan of mix in the oven before getting out the ingredients to make her homemade tomato soup.

"And now, the end is near, and so I face, the final curtain," as soon as Jared opens the front door, he hears his sisters soothing voice while the smell of chocolate fills his nose.

"My friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case, of which I'm certain," he peeks into the kitchen to see his sister moving around gracefully, bouncing and spinning with Anthony attached to her chest as she cooked.

"I've lived a life that's full, I've traveled to each and every highway. But more, much more than this, I did it my way," Devon was smiling and he could see Anthony as well, hearing his small gurgles and giggles.

Jared quietly makes his way to his room, and is shocked at the sight of it. It's completely organized and cleaned, he can smell the laundry detergent from his sheets, and all his clothes are clean, organized, and put away. His bed is made and there isn't a piece of trash in sight.

He slowly changes into basketball shorts and a t shirt, before grabbing his backpack and making his way downstairs.

When he enters the open dining room and kitchen, Devon is taking out a pan of brownies and mixing a pot of tomato soup, not even looking at him as he takes his seat.

"What homework do you have?" She asks him as she twirls with Anthony.

"Math, English, and History," he tells her quietly.

"What is it?" She asks him.

"Test review for Math and History, and an essay for English," he responds. Devon lets out a soft hum of acknowledgement before speaking again.

"Go get my laptop, I'll be with you in a minute,"

Devon helped Jared with his math and history packets when he had questions, and then helped him plan his essay.

"Eat, you can write it after dinner," she tells him, placing a bowl of soup in front of him with a glass of water. Jared doesn't speak as he does as he's told, quickly scarfing down the food. His sister was a phenomenal cook, and he would always appreciate what she made him.

When they had both ate, Anthony was beginning to fall asleep again. Devon placed him in his crib before grabbing a baby monitor and going downstairs to do dishes and serve Jared a brownie.

He had quickly finished his essay, and Devon sat next to him to edit it and explain things to him.

When everything was done, she printed it and handed it to him before finishing up cleaning around the house.

"Hey, Dev?" His voice is quiet as he watches her close the dish washer.

"Yeah, Jare?" She asks while looking up at him, ready to help however he asked.

"Thank you.. and, I'm sorry," he says, before clearing his throat as his eyes well up with tears. Devon gives him a soft smile as she walks over to him and wraps her arms around his torso, him leaning down and burying his face in her neck.

"I would do anything for you, Jare, I swear it," she tells him softly as she rubs his back and her older brother cries.

He cries and he mourns, he mourns for his sister. He mourns for the loss of a childhood, he mourns for the loss of the experiences she could've had. He cries for his sister who had to grow up too fast. He cries because she would and does do anything for him. He cries because he's been selfish, because he's neglected her and because he's been a terrible big brother, and he vows to do better, to be better for Devon and Anthony.

________________________________

It was a few weeks later and Anthony had his three month check up.

"I want to come with you," Jared complains in between scarfing down his breakfast.

"Jared, you have school. It is April 2nd. You graduate at the beginning of July. You are going to school," she tells him sternly, not even looking up from doing the dishes.

He quickly finishes his food, before cleaning his plate for his sister. He then presses a kiss to her forehead before taking Anthony out of the wrap on her chest, smiling and talking to him.

"His clothes are on my bed, please get him dressed," she tells Jared, who nods and walks up the stairs with Anthony.

She finishes cleaning up the kitchen and downs the rest of her coffee, and then filling a travel mug. She makes sure Anthony's diaper bag is packed and then Jared is downstairs with Anthony. He was wearing a long sleeve onesie with some little sweatpants and socks.

"Oh, he's so tiny I love it," she cooes before taking Anthony into her arms, hugging him and kissing his forehead.

"Alright, school, now," she tells him sternly. He sighs before grabbing his backpack and they make their way to her car.

The drive is calm, filled with oldies tunes and Devon's soft voice.

"What're your plans for today?" Jared asks her.

"Well, I'm going to take Anthony to his check up. It's just making sure he's growing properly and healthy, he doesn't need any more vaccines until next month. Then I need to go grocery shopping, and Anthony and I are just gonna hang out for the day. I'll do schoolwork whenever the opportunity rises," she shares with him.

"Well, Emily wants you to come over for dinner sometime, so if you're up for it I'll let her know and tell you when it is," Jared mentions to her. Devon smiles, she misses Emily.

"I would love to, it's been too long since I've seen everyone, I've just been so busy and preoccupied. Tell her I would be happy to go over as long as I don't have work," she tells him softly.

"Alright, I'll see you at home later, bye Dev," he says as he presses a kiss to his sisters forehead when she pulls up to his friends spot in the parking lot. He gets out, grabs his bag, and kisses Anthony before shutting the door and meeting his friends.

Devon makes her way to the doctors in Forks, kissing Anthony as she takes him out of his car seat.

"Hi baby," she wraps him against her chest and grabs the diaper bag, going inside and checking in.

She only had to wait a few minutes before they called her back and began weighing and measuring Anthony.

All was well and she was sent on her way, making her way to the grocery store with Anthony.

"Anthony we should finger paint. Oh my god yes let's do it," she says to him. She grabs different paints, papers, and canvases while she's in the store, adding it to her cart of groceries.

Once they're back in the car, Devon sighs as she notices Jared's lunch sitting next to the car seat.

"Let's go visit your big brother."

_______________________________

Devon made it to the familiar high school just when lunch had started. She didn't bother with the sling, just holding Anthony in her arms as she grabbed Jared's lunch and made her way inside.

The office workers greeted Devon excitedly, doting over Anthony before allowing her to go find Jared.

When she entered the cafeteria, she was unsurprised by all the looks she was receiving. Nobody knew exactly what was going on, they just knew Devon had dropped out and was now raising a baby even though she was never pregnant.

It's easy to find Jared, his table with his friends isolated from the rest of the school, just as it was when she attended.

"Dev? What're you doing here?" He asks as he stands up and approaches her and Anthony. He excitedly takes the baby from her arms and kisses him.

"You forgot your lunch. I saw it when we were leaving the store," she informed him as she held his bag out. He smiled.

"I don't know what I would do without you Dev," he says honestly as he takes the bag and they walk over to the table. He hands his sister the baby once more as he begins to scarf down the large lunch that Devon packs for him.

"Dev!" The freshman Seth greets her excitedly, and Devon responds with the same energy.

"Oh my god, Jared hold Anthony it's my other baby!" She exclaims, and Jared reaches his arms out to take his brother. Seth wraps the smaller girl into a tight hug, rocking back and forth. They pull away from each other smiling with Seth's hands on her hips as her hands rest on either side of his face.

"Oh, my baby, oh my god, I missed you," she says with a pout as she looks at him. Seth is like, her son. Devon would die for him. They then sit down together and Devon proceeds to pull Seth down so she's holding his head on her chest, pressing multiple small kisses onto his head and face.

"Well, if I knew this is what it would take to make you happy and relaxed I would've brought Seth over a while ago," Jared says with a raised eyebrow, watching his sister shower his fellow wolf in affection. Paul was glaring.

"Seth is my son, my baby, my sunshine, I love him nobody can change that not even god," Devon says before pressing another kiss to his head, causing Seth to giggle lightly.

"Oh you're so cute I just wanna cuddle you and protect you forever," Devon coos to the freshman.

"Well, you can make plans with Seth later," Jared tells her.

"Mommy's sorry she hasn't texted you, she's been caught up in everything," Devon speaks with a pout as she holds him tightly.

"Oh my god, she has a mommy kink," Embry teases.

"I do not! That's gross!" Devon denies annoyed as she sits up straight.

"I don't need this negativity. I'll text you later, Seth. You're the only cool one here. Give me my baby back," she pouts as she takes Anthony out of Jared's arms, walking away.

"Oh my god. I can't take it anymore, dude I have to come over," Paul admitted to Jared, who laughed.

"She's your imprint, no shit. I can't even imagine how shit you feel, yearning for her and never being around her. You're free to come over whenever, you can just say we're studying together," he tells him, fist bumping him with a smile.

"Shouldn't you be mad at him for imprinting on your sister?" Embry asks Jared confused.

"Yeah, but look at the facts. Devon is smart, much smarter than any of us. She's also basically a mom already, and doesn't really get to have genuine fun anymore unless it's with a baby. She's still a virgin, I hope, yet she's a mom. That doesn't make sense. She should be doing normal teenage things. Paul can help her have fun and experience life and be a good boyfriend. I trust him, I know he won't fuck this up, because not only is my sister strangely strong and scary, but everyone here will also beat his ass, no pressure bro," Jared explains to them, Paul lightly blushing against his will and the boys tease him for it.

He really gotta step it up and make things happen with Devon. Staying away is stupid and way too hard. She's always taking care of everyone else, Paul just wants to be the one to take care of her.

NOT EDITED

A/N

UWU HI BABIES !!!!! finally back 😚 that's a forehead kiss for everyone reading this uwu I love you 💓 I really appreciate the constant support I get on this story!! it means so much to me that people enjoy the shit my brain comes up with ah !!! I hope you enjoyed it :) I will be sad if u didn't but it's ok bc I'm not the greatest oopsies sending you all love !! I hope you're all eating and sleeping well !! and you're healthy !! and just doing okay/good overall !! talk to me anytime for anything <3 I am soft for all of you uwu 😚😚😚😚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.8K 522 19
Your voice was silenced by those around you. Your boyfriend didn't care. Your dad more focused on your brother. You have no friends and live on the R...
85.2K 1.7K 14
"Lots of lives are gonna be lost, and I don't want one to be yours." "I would rather die trying than let innocent people suffer because we didn't he...
39.6K 1K 46
........
36.9K 493 2
Embry, Seth, Jacob, Paul, Jared, Sam and Quil