Lasting |His Block the Trilog...

By InkD_Roses

No matter the distance separating us, we're the only ones that know how to guide the traffic between our hear... More

|Cast of Lasting.|
|2.1|
|2.3|
|2.4|
|2.5|
|2.6|
|2.7|
|2.8|
|2.9|
|2.10|
|2.11|
|2.12|
|2.13|
|2.14|
|2.15|
|2.16|
|2.17|
|2.18|
|2.19|
|2.20|
|2.21|
|2.22|
|2.23|
|2.24|
|2.25|
|2.26|
|2.27|
|2.28|
|2.29|

|2.2|

10.6K 578 576
By InkD_Roses

Year One, 12 Months Ago

The rays of the sun welcomed Jhenea and Artist as she carried him out of the car. They had arrived to their new home and a feeling of emptiness immediately washed over her. She couldn't understand why it happened so sudden, or why it was even happening at all.

Pushing that to the side, she entered the home basking in it modern day decor.

Unpacked boxes were lined up neatly against the wall causing Jhenea to sigh, she hated unpacking.

"Ugh where is Lamont when I need him?" She groaned out at the thought of having to do it all alone with Artist needing her attention every second of the hour.

After two hours of entertaining Artist until he got sleepy, Jhenea eventually went to go unpack. She started with the smaller things before elevating to the clothing and necessities.

Tearing the tape off of the box marked as photos, she opened it up. Underneath styrofoam she put in the box for the protection of the picture frames, a picture of her and Anthony caught her eye.

The sight of him smiling with her on his back kissing his cheek caused her to crack a small smile. The smile was short lived once she thought back to the last conversation they had. Just a few hours ago, he was begging for her to come back so he could have the chance to fix it all. Jhenea declined. Not because she didn't want to fix things, but because she wouldn't be able to face him knowing he was dragging himself down into a pit of darkness. She'll begin to feel guilty as if she drove him to that point. She simply wouldn't be able to handle it.

Her sadness eventually subsided as she forced herself to focus solely on unpacking. "Maybe some music would make me go faster." Jhenea thought to herself while she rummaged through Artist's diaper bag. She found her phone at the bottom of bag completely off. Powering it on, she was blown away at how many phone calls and text she had missed.

They were flooding in back to back causing her to not be able to focus on one text message at a time. Once her phone stopped buzzing back to back, she finally unlocked it and checked her text messages first.

Dieon
- Call me now!
Received 4:30 PM

Lamont
- Jhenea I know you see your phone, it's an emergency get at me when you see this.
Received 4:30 PM

Samantha
- Anthony needs you right now Jhenea, he's hurt.
-We just got him to the hospital. Where are you?
Received 4:30 PM

Jhenea's breath took an immediate halt. She had just spoken to Anthony a few hours ago and he managed to land himself in the hospital.

She frantically dialed Samantha's number awaiting for an answer which she got immediately. "What's going on?! What do you mean hospital?! I literally just spoke to him!" Jhenea rushed out all in one breath.

"He got in an accident on the interstate, his car flipped over. He's not too hurt, but he does have a few cuts and bruises. He's expected to wake up in a few hours." Samantha explained to her daughter in law. She didn't know what Jhenea and her son had going on, but it was completely irrelevant at the moment. All she was worried about was her son's well being.

Tears stung Jhenea's eyes as she immediately found herself to blame. She didn't understand why everything continuously happened to her family. She never seemed to catch a break. "I just got to L.A, I don't know when I'll get the chance to get back to New Orleans."

"You need to get here fast, this may be the last time you see him as a free man in a while." Samantha stated honestly.

"I have to go." Jhenea abruptly hung up on Samantha. She needed to figure out how she would be getting back to New Orleans as soon as possible.

She dialed Lamont's number and he answered within an instant. "I'm on it, Anyul's on his way to pick you up. He's gonna be flying private with you. Just get ready now."

Year One, Present

"Artist Jian Mason Taylor, touch my keys one more time and we'll have a problem." Jhenea warned her son with a chastising finger. Even she couldn't take herself seriously when she was disciplining him, only meaning he damn sure didn't take her serious.

A few feet shorter than her, he pushed his hair out of his eyes and grinned showing all eight of his teeth that came in equally on the top and bottom row. "Gimme my keys weirdo." She held out her hand.

He eyed her before letting out a laugh and dropping the keys on the floor beside him. He lifted up both arms insinuating he wanted to get picked up. Jhenea convulsed in his cuteness and swooped him right from the ground along with her keys. "I got assignments to do and all you wanna do is play." She plopped down on her bed with Artist still in her grasp.

He laid on her chest looking her in her eyes. His hard stare didn't last long before he let out a laugh and kissed her lips. "Just like your father, can't resist the lips." She shook her head.

In response, he babbled on and on in his gibberish. He only could say a few words resulting in his vocabulary bank to consist of: no, mama, dada, oh, duh and huh. After a straining ten minutes of his babbling and her faking as if she understood everything he said, Jhenea's phone went off.

"It's probably your grandma." Jhenea chuckled as she reached for her phone. Samantha never missed a beat with her grandson. She made sure she called everyday and if she couldn't she was for sure to send a text out.

Jhenea furrowed her brows at the unknown number that flashed against the screen. Removing Artist from her chest, she sat him next to her. Reluctantly, she answered the phone.

"This is a prepaid call from an inmate in the Orleans Parish Prison by the name of Anthony. To accept this call, press zero, to reject this call press one or hang up." Jhenea's breath grew shaky, but in swiftness she pressed zero. Her heart was working faster than her mind resulting in the call going through and her being lost for words.

"Hello." She heard his voice. She immediately set the phone on speaker trying to gather herself as quick as possible. "Son, I know you hear me." He spoke again, he seemed pretty vexed and impatient in his tone, but even that couldn't rid the shock Jhenea was in.

Jhenea cleared her throat. "Yeah, i-it's me." She let out timidly.

"I know who I called." He replied in an obvious tone.

"Oh." She states flatly.

"Oh!" Artist shrieked out mocking her.

Hearing his son, brought a smile onto his stone cold face. Jhenea could hear his infamous chuckle through the phone causing butterflies to swarm her stomach. "How he been?" He asked. The simple, 'He gettin' big' from Lamont wasn't really suiting to him. After much convincing, he finally found it in him to speak to Jhenea. H wasn't really interested in speaking to her, he was more so interested in speaking about his son. After all, Artist was the only person that was keeping Jhenea in his life.

"Good," she replied. "He looks just like you."

Anthony nodded. "I need to know more than that Jhenea."

"Well, I'm sure you've gotten the pictures. He pretty much looks just like you. He's a happy baby. Loves to play and run around, but he also loves to sleep. He's not much of an eater, he's pretty picky on what he eats, he gets that from you. He has allergies, just like you and he's lactose intolerant. He knows the difference between his colors and shapes so he's pretty advanced." Jhenea tried to rake her mind with as much information about Artist as she could in the short period of time. She didn't know when it would be the next time speaking to him so she was gonna get out as much out as she can.

Anthony ran a hand down his face sighing. "Preciate you takin' care of him." He thanked her.

Jhenea shrugged. "That's my job, I am his mom."

After that, a silence fused between the two but neither of the two broke it. Jhenea was so ill on the fact that this may be a one in a lifetime moment. Although he not once asked how she was doing and told her he cared about her, it didn't matter. The fact that they were even having a conversation was enough.

"Nea, I got your food!" Xander shouted as he entered the home.

Anthony's brows furrowed in confusion as he heard shuffling through the phone. "Son who the fuck is that?" Anthony asked knowing it couldn't be Lamont due to the heavy Baltimore accent Xander had that was far from the New Orleans accent Lamont had.

Jhenea eyes bulged out of their sockets as she placed her finger up to her lips signaling Xander to shut the hell up. "I'm not gone ask you again  Jhenea. Who the fuck is that and why he even in the same breathing space as my son?" Anthony ordered an answer from Jhenea.

Jhenea throat grew dry as Xander stared back at her in shock mouthing his apologies. He had horrible timing. He didn't expect today to be the day she got the phone call she had been waiting on all year. He had no intentions on getting Anthony worked up about he and Jhenea's friendship.

Jhenea's heart sped up to a speed where it felt as if it were pumping right out of her chest, she took a deep breath before she opted on just being truthful. "It's just Xander, I met him in class."

Anthony let out a dry and bitter chuckle. Even Xander was intimidated by the sound of it. "Say, didn't I tell you that shit dead? You need me to say that shit to you in Vietnamese so you can understand?"

"Anthony you can't expect me to listen to what Lamont says. If you wanted somethings done, you would have talked to me about it not your best friend." Jhenea reasoned. She kept her voice calm not wanted to spend the remainder of the phone call arguing with him and the last thing she wanted to do was raise her voice in front of her son.

Anthony nose flared in annoyance. He didn't understand what had gotten into Jhenea. What she failed to realize is although it's been a year, nothing has changed. Whatever he said went and that was final. "At the end of the day, you knew that came from me and outta respect for me you should have listened to me. The fact that you even out here befriending niggas and goin' out without yo' fuckin' ring is a problem."

"Then fix it Anthony. I don't understand how you want me to follow your orders after you waste a year by not speaking to me."She shook her head.

Anthony scoffed. "I'm speakin' to you now, ain't I?"

Jhenea let out a frustrated breath, she forgot how hard it was to argue with him. He was so focused on being in the right that he didn't even realize that he wasn't listening. "You know what Anthony— when would be the best time to come visit you." Although this conversation wasn't going well, Jhenea was hoping that maybe this would open up the gateway to more phone calls and potential visits.

Anthony shook his head rejecting her advance of coming to visit him. "Ain't shit change Jhenea, I don't want you here nor do I wanna see you." His words cut like blades causing Jhenea to immediately bite down on her bottom lip to suppress the tears that so badly wanted to stream down her face. She didn't want to give him the satisfaction of hearing her cry, nor did she want to seem vulnerable and weak in front of Xander.

"O-okay." She shakily let out. Anthony could hear the tears and sadness behind her words, but he couldn't bring himself to feel bad for her.

Without another word, the phone went dead on Anthony's part. He had an ample amount of time to continue conversation, but there simply wasn't anything else to discuss with Jhenea. All he wanted to talk about was Artist and now that he did, she shouldn't be expecting another phone call for another week or so.

***

"Why you do her like that?" Anthony heard his cell mate ask.

Matthew was a thirty five year old man that was in on a manslaughter charge. He was real laid back which caused him to gravitate towards Anthony since Anthony was just as chill as he was. They didn't speak much, but when they did they wasted no time speaking on life. They had a lot in common and the fact that they had a drastic age difference as such blew them away.

Anthony shrugged his shoulders carelessly. "She know she out of line for havin' some random nigga around my son."

Matthew took a seat at one of the benches that Anthony also took a seat on. This would be the most they've spoke to one another in three days and they both knew it would take probably another week before they had a conversation again. They both liked their space so it worked out in their favor since neither was breathing down the other's neck. "You know she can't stop livin' because you did. She human and she young, she gone interact wit' people." Matthew vouched for Jhenea. He didn't know much about Jhenea's and Anthony's relationship, but from the little stuff that was told to him, he could tell they were in love, but they both were just stubborn as hell.

Anthony ran a hand down his face. The thought of Jhenea alone frustrated him. "She just trust any and everybody to be around." He shook his head.

Matthew let out a laugh causing Anthony to eye him with annoyance seeping through his eyes. "You don't give a damn that she made friends wit' another man, you just mad cause you can't protect her no more."

Anthony remained silent as he twiddled with his fingers. He knew that Matthew was something beyond correct, but his anger and pride only led him to deny it. "Fuck her protection at the moment, my son is the only person that matters and he can't be around any and everybody."

"Anthony, you ain't foolin' shit, but yourself." Matthew waved him off in a dismissing manner.

Anthony, himself though he made it real clear he was over Jhenea. However to everyone else he was just growing to love her more. Time apart made him miss her, but he just couldn't realize it because he had so much damn pride. "Man whatever ain't nobody tryna' hear all that."

Matthew chuckled. "Of course cause I'm right as hell." He basked in the fact that he was correct. "I need you to call that girl tomorrow, you hear?" He pointed a fatherly finger at Anthony as if he were giving him no option but to do so.

Anthony contorted his face into a much tying his lips into a scowl. "I'll think about it." He breathed out in a nonchalant manner.

"Let me tell you somethin'." Matthew sighed, realizing that Anthony's stubbornness would lead him to loosing one of the best things he had ever gained.

"I'm listenin'." Anthony leaned forward.

Matthew folded his fingers together staring directly at Anthony. "Back in '01, I had a girl. Her name was Harmony and she was the finest thing walking around New Orleans. I'm talking about beauty for days and she knew how to cook. When I first met her I told her she was gone be my wife, mind you we was only eighteen. Two years later I wifed her up, it was only right. We was smooth sailing for about seven years until she found out what exactly I was doing to pay all the bills. She hated my lifestyle and wanted me to change for the better. She ain't want our kids comin' to visit me in this jail so she gave me an ultimatum. It was either our family or the streets. Of course I chose my family because they all I care about, but she later found out I still chose the streets too. I was still out in the streets doing what I do best, hustlin'. When she found out, she packed up and left me, she took the kids, the money, everything. I got the chance to talk to her once she got to the place she was going and I took that as the opportunity to call her every disrespectful name under the sun. What I ain't realize was that would be the last time I spoke to my wife ever again. That same day, some niggas that I had it out for sprayed her down and my two daughters."

Matthew took a pause to regroup and gather himself. He never really spoke much about his wife and his kids so Anthony was at a loss for words while hearing all this personal information. "Uh—" Matthew cleared his throat to keep himself from breaking down. "Just appreciate and listen yo' wife man. Ain't no tellin' when it'll be either of y'alls last day. I learned the hard way. I won't wish the feeling of guilt and regret on nobody, not even my worse enemy. That girl loves you, I hope you don't realize that when one of you are gone."

Anthony clenched his bottom lip between his two rows of perfectly aligned teeth. After hearing Matthew's story of his wife's tragic demise, Anthony began to contemplate whether or not his pride was worth the chance of loosing the love of his wife permanently.

Running a hand down his face, Anthony let out straining sigh. "The fact that she really tried to leave me is the only thing that's blowing me." He shook his head.

Matthew seemed remained patient with Anthony's stubbornness since he knew he was also the same. "A woman will always know when enough is enough. She left because she knew you two wouldn't be able to fix it if she stayed. Be grateful." And with that, Matthew rises from the bench and made his way elsewhere. He was positive that his wise words were seeping through the folds of Anthony's mind. If he didn't get it now, he damn sure would get it later— or in due time.

***

Xander eyed Jhenea intently as she buried her head into the text book. Every so often she would push a strand of hair behind her ear and adjust her reading glasses to her liking since she ran out of contacts.

Time had ran through for almost ten minutes and she had yet to notice Xander's intense stare.

A silence rendered her home since Artist was taking an afternoon nap and neither Lamont or Jai were home. This seemed as perfect timing to study for the test she had on the following day.

"I can't do this." Xander blurted out while shutting his text book. He knew he would be in for a ton of frustration since he hadn't marked his page, but that was the least of his worries at the moment.

Jhenea looked up from her text book and eyed Xander with a questioning brow hiked up. "Do what?"

Xander stares at her for a moment. He was trying to figure her out. He didn't understand how she could take this so lightly. "So you're just gonna act like I didn't cause the biggest issue in the world?"

Jhenea chuckled lightly. "Xander don't flatter yourself. This isn't the biggest problem in the world and you did not cause it." She shook her head.

"I'm not saying that," Xander says. "It's just crazy how you're acting like nothing even happened."

Jhenea shrugged her shoulders. "It's been four years Xander, I'm built for this. I'm pretty sure I can handle whatever Anthony throws at me."

"So you good?" Xander asked for clarification.

Jhenea nodded slowly. "Perfect," She assured him. "Let's just stop talking about Anthony and the situation. It'll handle itself." Jhenea didn't want to dwell too much on the situation with Anthony at the moment. She knew she would be crying later on tonight, but right now it was the wrong time.

As Xander decided to let the issue go to rest, the entrance door got pulled open and in walked in Jai and Lamont.

"Mont, things would be so much easier if you actually helped me with these bags." Jai complained as she set the shopping bags down by her feet while Lamont closed the door behind them.

"You strong baybeh' you got this." He laughed.

Both Jai and Lamont had yet to notice Jhenea and her guest. Jhenea let out a huff of air realizing that Lamont was about to be overly dramatic over Xander's presence. "Please don't let him get to you." Jhenea says to Xander.

Xander nodded his head and rolled his eyes at the thought of getting into it with Lamont... again.

Jai entered the kitchen greeting both Xander and Jhenea. Xander and Jhenea both said their greeting to her and prepared for Lamont's dramatics.

"Son you hard headed as fuck," Lamont shook his head as he eyed Xander up and down with a disgusted look in his eye. His statement was definitely for Jhenea, however his eyes never tore away from Xander.

Jai exulted our a groan knowing how out of hand her boyfriend could get. "Mont can you not start, clearly they were studying and you can't come in here being interruptive." She scolded.

"I'm not bein' interruptive, it's just she know she wrong for havin' him here knowing Anthony ain't fucking with it." Lamont shrugged his shoulders carelessly.

Jhenea jolted her head from her text book and focused her eyes on Lamont. "For the thousandth fucking time Lamont, you are not my fucking father or my damn husband!" Jhenea fumed out. She was already bothered over Anthony's situation and was trying her best not to display, but of course Lamont had to throw more gasoline on the fire she was trying ever so badly to diminish.

Lamont cocked his head to the side shocked that she was using a much more gruesome tone with him than usual. "I'm not saying I am, I'm just sayin' —"

"Saying nothing Lamont! That's all I need you to do, say nothing about my damn life, or my damn marriage!" She fussed out. A silence draped over everyone as Jhenea let her steam out. "Matter of fact, everyone get the hell out, I'm over it!" She slammed her textbook down on the counter before barging out of the kitchen and roughly brushing past Lamont. She trekked over to the front door where she held it ajar.

Jai and Lamont looked back at her in disbelief. Jai didn't understand why she was getting the consequence only Lamont deserved but she had to realize that her and Lamont now came as a pair. "Really J?" Lamont asked.

"You still here?" Jhenea asked as she motioned her hand outwards.

Lamont scoffed as he walked out with Jai to follow. Xander caught the notion too so he got ready to leave. As soon as he made it towards the door, Jhenea pulled him back into the home. "You're staying."She told him causing Lamont to screw his face up in anger.

Xander nodded while Lamont flared his nose. "You don't know this nigga at the fuck all and you kicking me out instead of him?"

"Lamont you're constantly disrespecting me in my home and sometimes in front of my son. I'm not having that any more. Whatever you and Anthony have going on is between you two. I need a friend, not a father nor a second husband. You're micromanaging me and my life when you should be worrying about Jai and yourself. I understand you care for me and everyone wants to protect me from the world, but I can handle my own. I'm not kicking you out for good, but as of now, I kinda don't want to see you nor Jai. I'll let you guys know when you guys can come back." Before Lamont could fix his lips to plea his case, Jhenea shut the door and locked it.

She knew befriending Xander was causing issues because everyone though he had ill intentions, but she didn't care. He was the calm she needed within everything flipping upside down for her.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," She apologized to Xander while making her way over to the couch.

Sitting down she tucked her knees to her chest and rested her head down. Within an instant, she let out a cry.

Xander was pretty stunned since he had never witnessed Jhenea breakdown before him. He knew it happened but she never did it in plain sight. Taking a seat next to her, he threw his arm over her shoulder. "You know what you have to do right?"

She shook her head through her whimpers that she was desperately trying to hide from Xander. "No," She croaked out.

Xander responded. "You have to go see him just to let him know you don't need the extra ness of Lamont,"

Jhenea lifted her head from her knees and wiped the tears away from her face. "He made it clear that nothing changed and he doesn't want to see me."

Xander shrugged his shoulders. "It doesn't matter. I'm sure he won't turn you away when you get there. Just let him know that this situation is bothering you and you want to resolve it together."

"Anthony isn't gonna listen to me—"

"All I hear is excuses. Just go. You'll never know if you don't try."

Jhenea silently thought it over.

She now had a flight to book for New Orleans.

_____________________________________

Y'all always know the first few chapters of my books are boring before I get to the incline.

And baby when Jhenea get to New Orleans she got a whole other thing coming for her honey.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 7.7K 48
the things we do to survive .. growing up in the hard streetz of New Orleans life is handed to you there is no silver spoon, Or easy way out.You have...
1.6K 44 30
i could've died right there, cause he was right beside me he hurt me but it felt like true love he taught me that loving him was never enough, with h...
67.6K 2.4K 33
We're not enemies, we're not friends either. We're polar opposites, and we don't get along. At least, that's what's supposed to happen. "Love changes...
232K 7.4K 47
City of dreamers full of endless potential - yet I feel like I am the only one drifting.