Justice by Oleander - 2012 Wa...

By ItalRT4u

A woman scorned -- a medical professional -- a detective trying to catch a break -- dozens of unsolved murder... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 18

3.3K 113 9
By ItalRT4u

© Carey MacLean, 2012

Chapter 18

He knew he had taken a chance a month before with that doctor he had gotten rid of.  He hoped that in the end, Mika would see that he had done it all for her.  A week had gone by since he had seen her – one hell of a long week at that.  He had signed the divorce papers his bitch of an ex-wife had sent his way and he never felt better about his status in life.

Watching as she kissed that detective goodbye, he waited until he drove off before he made his move.  She had gone back inside.  Judging by the obvious nature of her routine, he knew she was on one of her days off.  Getting out of his car, he walked up the front walkway and smelled the beautiful bouquet of pink, orange and red lilies he had hand-selected especially for her.  Setting them down against the door, he rang the doorbell and darted straight for his car.  Jumping in, he wondered what was taking the woman so long to open the door.

When the door opened, he noticed that she wore a terrycloth bath robe.

She must have been about to take a shower, he thought to himself.

Oh how he wished he could have been the one running his soapy hands over that smooth porcelain skin of hers.  She looked around in confusion before taking notice of the bouquet on the ground.  Picking it up, he hoped that she’d notice the card – and she did.

She wondered who that could be when the doorbell rang.  Xavier had just left to tend to a bit of office work and promised to be back by lunch time.  He had said he had a surprise for her when he’d get back.  When she got downstairs, clad in Xavier’s bathrobe, Mika opened the door and whoever it had been was now long gone.  She looked down and noticed a beautiful bouquet of lilies.  Picking them up, she smelled and smiled at their pungent perfume.  She noticed the card and took it out of its envelope before reading it.

I do it all for you, Love

Something about the little card gave her the creeps.  Immediately, she looked around to see if there was anyone around, watching her.  She locked the door and activated the security system.  Leaving the flowers on the kitchen counter, she ran upstairs and jumped in the shower.

Later that morning, the mail-man had come.  She looked through the stack of mail and noticed a small envelope addressed to her with no return address included.  Opening it, she was curious to see who it was from.  It wasn’t her birthday or any other special occasion but there, in her hand, was a card.  As she opened it, something fell from it and onto the floor.  Picking it up at first, she read the card.

He’s not for you.  Until we meet again, Love

Immediately, she proceeded to look at the pieces of paper that she had picked up.  They were photos and not just any photos.  Photos of her and Xavier and as she leafed through them, she noticed something else.  There was one more photo.  One that turned her stomach and made her want to wretch.  It was a photo of Xavier with another woman.  They looked comfy at the same restaurant he had brought Mika a while back.

She heard the front door open, the alarm being disarmed – Xavier was home.  Forcing the bile that was climbing back down from her throat, she waited until he came to her.

Xavier walked into the kitchen to find a stark raving mad woman.

What the hell?  He thought and then he noticed everything on the kitchen island.

“I have a stalker.  He seems to be taken with the both of us,” she spat.

Xavier was confused.

How does this hostility tie me in to things?  He wondered.

“Here,” she threw paper at his chest and stormed past him.

He bent to the floor to collect the four pieces before chasing her down.  He caught up with her before she was out the front door.

“What is this?”  He asked her, holding her gaze.

She was furious and it was clear that she was furious with him.  The only thing was that he had no clue as to what he could have done to cause that kind of anger.

“Look and you shall see,” she sneered.

“Sit down,” he told her.  He was shocked that she didn’t put up a fuss and walked over to the living room, sitting herself down on the chair furthest away from him.  “Now mind telling me what’s gotten you all riled up?”

She refused him an answer aside from eyeing the photos that he held in his hand.  He looked down and began to leaf through them.

Mika observed him as he leafed through the four pages.  His lips formed a grim line.

“Where’d you get these?”  He asked her.

“Who is she?”  Mika found her mouth speaking for her of its own accord.

“Answer my damned question,” he said sternly.

“Fuck you!  How about you stop dancing around in circles and answer mine?”  She blurted out loudly.

“You honestly think that I would cheat on you?”  He started.  “Look at the date stamp!  The idiot never bothered to doctor it.  It was from last year!”

Mika’s eyes flew to his and in that moment, she felt like the biggest fool known to mankind.  What could she say to take away the sting of her accusations?

“Dammit, Mika!”  He said and walked up to her, shoving the photo in her face, pointing at the date stamp he spoke of.  “Why would you think that of me?”

“I-I…” she stuttered and the tears welled in her eyes.  “I d-don’t know.”

“Why would you doubt my love for you?”  He questioned her, dropping to his knees.  He grabbed her hands in his.

“I don’t know,” she found herself saying again.

“Mika Stafford,” he began.  “I may have been a player but I can promise you that those days have been over for quite some time.  That girl was my last girlfriend.  Not some fuck buddy but a girlfriend.”

“Okay,” she lowered her gaze away from him.  She knew she didn’t sound convinced.

“Look at me!”  He pleaded.  He guided her chin so her eyes met his.  “Candace and I had nothing compared to what you and I have.  I never loved her.  I love you.  I’ve asked you to move in with me in hopes that we could start a life together.”

“I’m sorry,” she said.

“I don’t want your apologies.  I want you to believe me when I say that you’re the only woman for me,” he guffawed and proceeded.  “God Mika!  I love you woman!”

“I love you too,” she whispered, her tears finally sprang free and she collapsed into his arms.

Deep within her, she knew he would never do such a thing but there was also the fact that she had been hurt more times than she could count.  Maybe not in the same manner but scars are scars and everything with Xavier had always come so quick and easy.  She doubted how perfect things could actually be.

“Now, about these,” he waved the photos and then thumb-pointed in the kitchen’s direction, “and those.”

“They came after you left this morning,” she told him.

He felt he needed to tell her about that car that’s been parked up the street from their house.  Only thing was, he hadn’t seen it in the last week.

“This is creeping me out Xav.”

“You and I both,” he found himself grumbling.  “Now, please tell me you’ve packed because after I’m done dealing with this stuff, we’re out of here.”

“I’m packed.  What are you planning?”  She eyed him.

“I’m calling Connor over.  I think it’s time we get the police involved.  I’m too close to this to look into things objectively anymore,” he divulged.

“What do you mean, anymore?”  She inquired.

“Sweetheart, have you been feeling watched or followed lately?”  He asked her.

“About the same time Carter died I did but I never saw anyone and so I brushed it all off as a trick of my imagination,” she explained.

“Okay.  Don’t panic but about a month ago, I noticed a silver car parked up the street,” he began.  “Someone’s always sitting in it.”

“I saw something like that back at the other house a few times but never thought anything of it seeing as it was at different times of the day,” she said.  “I haven’t seen it again in months.  Then again, I’ve been too busy to really notice.”

“Alright.  Do you know anyone who drives that car?  I’ve run the plates on it and our system shows the registered owner as Carter Stafford.  It’s a company car,” he told her.

“Are you sure?”  She asked and he nodded.

“Anyone you know that would have access to this car that would harbour any ill intent toward you, us or would have an infatuation with you as a whole?  Judging by these notes, Mika, I’d say whoever this guy is, he’s obsessed with you,” he told her.

“No,” she began and then Xavier spotted a look of suspicion cross her face.  “No, it couldn’t be,” she said out loud to herself or so it seemed.  “Brian?”

“You mean Carter’s brother?”  His voice came out a few octaves higher than his normal tone.  She nodded shock apparent in her demeanour.

“I don’t think he’d be capable of harm but then again, after his last visit I don’t know anymore,” she stated.

He remembered the day where they had decided on the security alarm for the house.  Picking up his phone, he called Connor over to the house.

He couldn’t believe the luck of that woman.  When Xavier and Mika gave him the run-down on the earlier events of the day, he was baffled.  What was it about Mika Stafford that invited trouble?  He vowed to do all he could for the both of them while they were away.

“Try and have fun,” he hugged Mika tightly.  “Relax.  Everything will work its way out.”

“Thanks,” she smiled when he pulled away.

She looked at the two best friends questioningly when Xavier shook his hand and Connor winked at him before slapping him on the shoulder.

“What was that about?”  She asked Xavier.

“What was what?”  He questioned.

“That whole wink, nod and nudge thing you and Connor did before we left,” she pressed.

“Oh, that’s just Connor being Connor,” he responded.  “Who knows why he does most of the shit he does.  It’s a wonder Suzie puts up with him the way she does.”

They continued the rest of the drive in companionable silence.  The scenery was fantastic.  Xavier had told her shortly after they had left that he had a cottage he used to go to with his parents as a kid.

For the first time, he had found himself wanting to visit that place from his past again.  It had been a solid five years since he’d been there and during the week, he had spent so much of his time working on cleaning and getting things back into shape and in working order for their stay.

As an adult, he completely saw what made his parents fall in love with the place.  It was beautiful and serene; the perfect place to fall in love and raise a family.  As a teenager, it was merely a place to have large parties and sleep with whatever girl he deemed hot enough for him for that night.  He shook his head at those memories.

“What’s so funny?”  She smirked at the goofy grin on his face.

“Oh, just remembering the old times here,” he said.

“I bet.  How many parties have you had?”  She laughed lightly.

“Too many,” he stated.  “Those days are gone.”

He parked the Jeep and sat there.

“Now, it’s a place where we can come to escape.  A place I haven’t shared with anyone that’s meant anything to me,” she put a hand over his lap and squeezed.

“It’s gorgeous,” she plainly stated and opened her door to get out.  He simply nodded in agreement.

They were settled in and Xavier was grilling chicken on the barbecue while Mika tended to the side dishes.  She set the table out on the balcony overlooking the lake.  When she was done, she went to join Xavier who was finishing up with the remainder of their dinner.  She pulled out her phone to see if she had any messages.

“There’s no reception here.  It ends about five miles up the road we came in on,” he explained.

"No contact to the outside world?”  She smirked.

“None unless you’re willing to run the distance,” he winked at her.

“Well, it’s a good thing I’m with an officer of the law who knows his way around guns,” she winked back and he laughed.  “Who knows what kind of trouble lurks around these parts.”

“That I do,” he said, setting the grilled chicken on the table.  “Now sit down and eat before it gets cold.  I have something planned for us afterward.”

“I wonder what that could be,” she quipped sarcastically.

Hold on to your knickers Darlin’, he thought, smiling to himself.

They were out on the swing, cuddled with a blanket on the wrap-around balcony.  If Mika felt at home at Xavier’s house, this place was even better.  It was a small sanctuary hidden in the bowels of nature.  She sighed in contentment.

“You okay?”  Xavier kissed the top of her head as she lay between his legs, leaning into his chest.

“I’m perfect,” she wished she knew a better word to top that statement but she couldn’t find it at the moment.  “Thank you for bringing me here.  It’s nice to get away from everything.  How is it you always know what I need?”

“Because were akin, you and I,” he answered smugly.  She looked up at him and laughed.  “Actually, I didn’t know but I figured you’d appreciate knowing a bit more about me and where I came from.”

“I guess when you find the right person, everything comes easy?”  She asked more than making the statement.

“I don’t think you could have said it better,” he smiled down at her.  “Oh!  There!  It’s starting,” Mika followed his gaze and was met with the most beautiful beginning of a sunset through the parting trees that overlooked the large lake before them.  The sight was indeed amazing – nothing that you could have imagined seeing in the city.

She felt his arms wrap around her impossibly closer before his lips came down on the side of her neck.  She shuddered beneath his lips.

“I thought you wanted to watch the sunset,” she whispered.  She felt that any louder, and she would disturb the tranquility that was around them as the sun continuously said goodnight to the day that was fast approaching an end.

“I rather watch all other sunsets with you as my wife,” he whispered into her ear.

Her body tensed and she hurriedly turned to face him.

“What?”  And then she noticed the ring he was now holding between his thumb and index finger.

“What do you say Mika?  I know it hasn’t been nearly that long but hey, we do things at hyper speed or so it seems.  Let me love you the way you deserve to be loved.  I don’t want to share this or anything else in my life with anyone else but you.  Be my wife?”  He proposed.  Her heart was beating at a staccato pace but there was no hesitating.

“Yes!”  She jumped him and they fell back into the swing as she peppered kisses over his face.

For so long she dreamt of a simplistic fairy-tale and she was finally graced with living it.  He held her left hand and as they kissed, she felt him slip the ring on her wedding ring finger.  Five months before, she got rid of the large circle that bound her to the most evil of all men in her eyes.  Now, she wore a new one that gave her an insurmountable amount of strength and pride.

“Well?”  He said as he pulled away.  “You haven’t looked at it.”

She giggled and finally looked down.  There, on her finger was a white gold band covered in tiny little diamonds that surrounded a large round one set in a square setting.  It wasn’t gaudy; it was elegant; it was beautiful.

“I suppose it’ll do,” she joked.  She laughed at the look of shock on his face.  “It’s gorgeous.”

“Just like you,” he kissed her tenderly on the lips.  “Now, what do you say we go inside?  After your spectacle from earlier today, I don’t think a simple ring will do enough to convince you of my love for you,” he grinned at her.

“Oh, I’m just beginning to see the bigger picture here.”

                                          *************************************

If you've enjoyed what you've read, please vote and comment on every chapter.  I enjoy the feedback and support.  Thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85 0 14
!Warning! Injuries and Blood contains in these very dark theories and Details of injuries. If you are not comfortable with it please leave. If you wi...
2K 120 13
If you could stop the world from being blown to oblivion, would you? Ryan McCoy is a killer; a killer who can look into the eyes of his victims and n...
68.3K 3.6K 63
Highest Rank: #7 In Crime. "Haven't you learned yet?" She tilted her head to the side, smiling gently. "Learned what?" I whispered, feeling the hand...
138K 7.8K 76
No one believes her, who would believe her when they have proof that it's her. But still, Natasha claim she's innocent feeling like she's being fram...