The Faye's Keeper - Keepers o...

By SarahBeth9009

**COMING TO MAJOR RETAIL SITES SEPTEMBER 2023** It's been two months since the events that changed Abby's lif... More

Book Playlist
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Author's Note

Chapter Five

550 45 26
By SarahBeth9009

~Abby~

Over the following days Abby hiked more, and ate more, than she had in years. Wesley said she was burning at least five-thousand calories while they hiked, which meant she needed to try to eat at least five-thousand calories. Even though they had only been hiking a couple of days, she knew she had lost weight. Not a good thing when it was below freezing.

On the third - and final - day of their hike, Abby was feeling like stabbing Wesley the next time he made her eat a protein bar. Cold be damned, she would puke if she ate another one. They had been trekking through a valley for the better part of an hour. As they crested a small hill, Abby could see that the valley ended abruptly. A frozen lake sat between them and the mountain on the other side. With a groan, she sat down heavily on the snow. Shucking her pack off her back, she rolled her shoulders. "Great. I don't know about you, but I am so not walking across frozen water."

Coming up behind her, Wesley chuckled as his own pack hit the snow beside her. Taking his water canteen, he took a drink before handing it to her. "The ice is probably at least two feet thick at this elevation."

The water was ice cold as it went down her throat. "That's nice. Still not doing it." She handed him the water and then looked back at the lake. "Aren't we close? I thought the passage to The High Forest was supposed to be right around here." He hummed, searching in his pack for the map Alex had given them. As he unfolded the map, Abby looked out at the frozen landscape. She wasn't much for winter, although she used to like the snow. Used to. Because after hiking in it for three days, she was about ready to hop the next flight to the Bahamas.

The mountains stretched high into the sky on all sides, snow-capped peaks blending with the fluffy clouds. Gray stone merged into the deep emerald of the evergreens, their color peeking out from under their snowy blankets. Although the frozen lake made Abby anxious, the reflection of the sky on the glass-like surface was stunning.

She was about to ask Wesley for one of those god-forsaken protein bars, when a pulling sensation bloomed in her chest. Her power pulsed, warming her from the inside out, as it responded to the pull. Standing slowly, Abby looked around. Something was calling to her, but what was it? And where was it coming from? Picking her way down the shallow slope, Abby was vaguely aware of Wesley calling her name. But it was far away, like he was calling for her through a dense fog. She reached the bottom of the hill, snow almost reaching her knees. She wished she had put on her snowshoes.

The lake was to her right, an expanse of pristine snow between them. But whatever was calling to her was pulling her further down the shoreline. With a deep breath, she continued through the deep snow. After a couple of minutes, Abby realized that she should've thought harder before walking without her snowshoes on. Her pack was behind her, still sitting in the snow. As she was about to turn around, ask Wesley if he had grabbed it, something in front of her caught her eye. Sitting just inside the tree line was a stone-covered mound. Cutting through the center, was a rock-lined passage.

She stopped so abruptly Wesley bumped into her back. Mumbling an apology, she walked again. This time, however, she was acutely aware of Wesley walking beside her, his shoulder brushing hers every so often. They stopped at the entrance, looking at the stone passage in collective awe. Abby could feel her own excitement and apprehension mixing with Wesley's. His emotions mingling with hers in the silence.

She looked at him briefly, eyebrows raised in a silent question. Putting a hand on her lower back, he answered with his own silent shrug. Taking comfort in the pressure of his palm through her coat, Abby took a deep breath and walked into the pathway. Taking her glove off, she ran her hand along the side. Rock and moss were cold to the touch, but a warmth spread up her arm from the contact. Walking further, the path curved before opening wide. The rocky hill fell away to reveal a valley. A valley that had not been there when Abby and Wesley had stood at the top of the hill. With bated breath, Abby walked out of the passage, her hand falling to her side as the stone was left behind.

It was then that everything changed.

Snow melted away to reveal lush green grass. Flowers of bright colors grew under the full shade of the aspen trees. The passage that they had come through changed. The crumbling stone turning into a well-cared for stone archway, vines growing up the sides. The sun beat down on them; a warm breeze hit her face. She was sweating in her winter gear in seconds. Standing beside her, she saw Wesley take his hat off and stare.

Unable to help herself, she laughed. His shocked face aside, she felt giddy. More alive than she had in a while. The only comparison she had was when Wesley had first kissed her on that cliff months ago.

Two figures emerged from the trees, and the laughter died on her lips. Dressed in light green pants and tunics, silver-plated armor adorned their chests and helmets sat atop their heads. Although both had long blond hair, braided in random areas, their broad shoulders and strong jaw lines told her they were men. One had a bow across his back, while the other had a rather impressive sword strapped to his belt. The two men - Faye - stopped a few feet from Abby and Wesley. And bowed.

"We have been expecting you, Lady Abigail." The one with the bow spoke, rising. His eyes regarded her before they shifted to Wesley. It wasn't an unkind expression, but it didn't give Abby any comfort either.

The other Faye rose, gesturing further down the grassy path, "Come. We will take you to a place where you can change into something more comfortable. The Elders have been notified of your arrival." The Faye turned and began walking away, clearly unconcerned whether their words would be obeyed.

She shared a glance with Wesley before he put his hand on her back, again. Leaning in close, he pushed her to follow them, before saying, "Into the jaws of the wolf, hmm?" Her lips pulled into a smile, as she let Wesley lead her down the path, and to wherever the Faye were taking them.

She was fairly sure she was dreaming. She had to be; it was the only explanation. The two Faye led Abby and Wesley into a village, but from what Abby could see the village was huge. Homes and buildings looked like they had sprouted out of the ground. Made of stone and earth; their walls and roofs covered in moss. Vines reached high from the stone walls to the trees all around them. Instead of doors, most buildings used brightly colored fabric hung over the entries.

While those buildings sat on the ground, others were suspended in the trees. They grew out of nowhere; like a growth on the side of the massive trees. The trunks so vast, Abby guessed it would take twenty or more people to circumference them. Wooden steps and archways led up the side of the trees, leading from the ground to the highest branches. The village was incredible, but it was the weather that really shocked her.

It had been freezing on the other side of the passage, with a couple feet of snow covering the ground. But here, it was warm and a little humid. The sun beat down through gaps in the branches, the shade a welcome respite as they walked. Flowers sprouted from the ground all around, lining pathways and decorating homes. Abby had never seen anything so beautiful. After walking for quite some time through the village of winding pathways, the Faye stopped at the foot of an immense tree.

Garrik, the Faye who had a stunning yew bow on his back, gestured to the stairway leading up the side of the tree. "This way, Lady Abigail. A servant is waiting for you both. There will be time to change and rest, before dinner this evening. You will meet with the Elders tomorrow morning."

Glancing to Wesley briefly, Abby took a step towards the stairs before pausing. Thinking it couldn't hurt, she turned and bowed to the Faye who had escorted them through the town. "Thank you, Garrik." Shifting, she turned to the other Faye, "Thank you, Katyr. Your home is beautiful." If either of the men were shocked at her gesture, they didn't show it. They simply bowed in return, before turning and walking the way they had come.

Wesley came to stand at her shoulder, brushing it briefly with his own. "Good job, Alex would be proud."

She chuckled, turning back to the stairs and looking up. And up. "Well," she shrugged, "manners are always necessary. Plus, I figured if we made friends now, they might be less likely to turn us into squirrels or something." Without looking back, she put a foot on the step and, when it didn't give under her weight, started climbing the tree. After a dozen steps or so, she realized that Wesley hadn't followed. Turning, she found him still standing at the bottom of the tree.

He looked up at her, shock and confusion on his face, and said, "They can't actually do that, right?"

Abby was still laughing when they reached the first landing. A small building sat to the left of the walkway, hanging in midair as it clung to the trunk of the tree. Standing just off the path, was a young Faye woman. It was remarkable how alike the woman looked to the two men. Their bone structures, lean and sharp, were the same. Long hair, loose except for the braids leading from her temples to the base of her neck, was a deep chocolate brown. Her eyes were a startling green. A green that Abby thought looked awfully familiar.

When she bowed, the long gown of golds and greens shimmered. "Lady Abigail, Wolf Wesley. I hope the guards were cordial."

When Wesley bowed, but said nothing, Abby guessed that he was leaving it up to her. With a warm smile on her face, Abby bowed to the woman. "Your home is beautiful, I've never seen anything like it."

The woman's face changed, a small smile on her lips lighting up her eyes, "No, I'm sure you haven't." With a smile still on her face the woman gestured to the next flight of stairs. "Please, this way to your rooms. Lord Elazar had his guest quarters prepared for you."

Shock ran through Abby's veins like fire. "Elazar is here?"

The woman reclined her head, "Of course. Lord Elazar has been in residence for weeks. He is the reason why you have been summoned here."

Wesley leaned close to her ear, his breath tickling her neck. "Well, who would've thought."

The servant cleared her throat before gesturing again. Abby gazed side-long at Wesley before following the woman up the stairs. Of course, Elazar was there. Of course, he was. Where else could he have possibly gone? No wonder they hadn't been able to find him. As she climbed the stairs, the houses on the ground getting smaller and smaller, all Abby wanted to do was talk to him. And maybe yell at him for leaving without telling her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 52.3K 32
Book 3 of The Alpha Series! Cannot be read as a standalone book! Ayla Romanov is a hybrid just like her father. Struggling to control the beasts tha...
5K 110 14
*Book 3 of the Born To Burn Series* ONLY CHAPTER 1-10 ARE OPEN WE ARE OFFICIALLY ON AMAZOM KINDLE! ❤️ PLZ CONTINUE TO SUPPORT ME THERE. I ❤️EACH AND...
1.6K 19 5
Extended SAMPLE! Book is live on Amazon & Kindle Unlimited! Monsters are real... and I'm in love with them. Coasting through my last year of college...
308 10 26
Faye Winters always knew who she was. She would go to college and get her degree so she could work with plants, her one true love. But when a strange...