Him and I (Declan Harp)

By Ziehmer28

After loosing their son, Declan Harp and Anna Harp seek revenge on the Red Coats that killed him. Fighting th... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 6

1K 25 0
By Ziehmer28

Chapter 6

Ten days, that's how long it's been since I was shot and presumed dead by everyone except for my sister and me.

Grace had taken me to a holding house near-by that held her extra home stuff. A secret caller sat below the floor board. That's where I've been.

She fixed up my wound to the best of her ability before wrapping it in gauze. The cuts were covered to, while the black and blue marks still showed up like none other before.

They still hurt, but were more bearable then before.

I had slept for three days straight before begging my sister to let me out to find Declan. When she declined and threatened to tie me to the bed, I begged her to look for him.

Her answer was, "If I see him, I'll bring him here."

Imagine how much that irritated me.

Though she asked very day, I never told her fully what had happened. When she saw the bruises and scratches, she assumed those ones. When she saw my torn cover up, I knew the worst things were going through her mind.

But, I never declined or approved any of them.

Today, I found myself once again sitting on the make-shift bed, starring at my knife. When the door to the caller opened, I quickly stood up and gripped my knife. This was an action I did ever time Grace returned, even when I expected her.

Boots were scene first, meaning that the person coming down the latter wasn't Grace.

But, when the person's large figure was seen, I lowered the knife and my mouth dropped. The figure stepped onto the ground, wavering slightly. His hands gripped the latter while his head slowly looked up at me.

Tears rushed to my eyes and what felt like forever, a breath was released from my mouth.

Declan stood next to the latter, his eyes wide with shock while his eyes seemed to fill up with tears as well. In seconds, my feet carried me to him and in his arms. He hissed in pain, but his arms didn't let me go, seeming to lift me off the ground for a second. When he pulled away, his lips met mine and his hand held my cheeks.

I pulled away, licking my lips in hopes of holding onto the taste of his kiss longer.

My eyes racked over his body, noticing that he now had a shirt and boots on. He seemed weak, tired, and in pain as he looked at me with love.

I turned to Emberly who is watching from the latter, "Go. I'll take care of him." She nods before crawling back up the latter and closing the cellar door behind her.

Leading Declan towards the bed, I sit him down before grabbing the water, cloth, and wrap that Grace had been using on me. I helped Declan take off his shirt, watching as he winced at the action. When my eyes caught sight of the marks on him, my heart broke all over again.

Lightly, I placed the wet cloth on his injured side, listening to the hiss of pain he gave me. His words came out suddenly, surprising me, "What happened?"

My eyes stayed on the wound on his side as I talked, not sure of how much to say. "Well, I blacked out for a bit before coming too. I was able to sneak out and find my way to Em where she patched me up. I stayed here until she would let me go out and look for you."

Declan's eyes stayed on me, seeming to watch my face more than my actions.

"What happened, Anna?" He asked again, making me stop and meet his eyes. My mouth parted slightly while my mind searched for the words to say. Sometimes, no information is the best information.

"Nothing; were together again and that's all that matters." My attention focused on the gauze that I wrapped around his wound. When his hand reached down and took my own, my actions stopped automatically.

"If you don't tell me, I'm going to think the worst."

A sigh left my lips as my hands went back to work on his side. If it wasn't for his persistence attitude I wouldn't tell him. But, here I was, telling him every detail of it like I was talking about trade. I couldn't bear to look at his face as I talked, his body tensing and relaxing enough for me.

Once I had washed every wound I could find and wrapped up the bad ones, my story had come to an end and I was now just looking at Declan. My butt sat next to him while my hand reached up to cup his cheek. His eyes looked at me with sadness, making me wonder if it was because of the pain or the memories.

I didn't need to ask.

"When you were shot, I felt my heart break in two. I was ready to die right there and then," He stated so softly that it almost brought tears to my own eyes.

Covering up my feelings, I smiled and said, "You can't get rid of me that easily."

Declan leaned in and gave me a kiss, one that I returned before leaning our foreheads together. "Please, don't leave me again," He mumbled, making me wonder what Hell his mind had put him through in the ten days that I've been gone.

"Never in a million years," I mumbled back before wrapping my arms around him.

We both sat on the bed, our backs on the wall as we engulfed each other's presence.

"What do we do next?" I asked, my head laying on his chest while my hand played with his.

Declan was silent at first, seeming to not find the words before speaking again. "Well, it seems we have a decision to make."

Confusion filled me, making me lift my head and look at him. He must have noticed my look because he continued on. "We either stay and fight, or leave."

I'm thrown back by his words, not even realizing that there was another choice. There's never been another choice, at least not that I know of. After surpassing the shock, I managed to stumble out, "What... what do you want to do?"

"Whatever you want to do."

Sighing, I sit up a bit more and look away from my husband. I can feel Declan watching me, waiting for an answer while I think it through. Though the offer is tempting, more tempting then I'd like to admit, I know I have to answer truthfully.

I turned and looked at Declan, "I want Benton to pay for everything he's done."

Declan smiles, reaching over and rubbing my back, "I thought you might say that." With that we grabbed our things and left, leaving the cellar empty behind us.

When night took over, Declan and I found ourselves in the woods keeping watch over Lord Benton's house. Two men made their way towards the door, greeted by the soldiers who let them in. At better looks, we could tell who the two men were.

Samuel Grant and his protector, Cobbs Pond.

A plain formed in Declan's mind and he was quick to follow the two men when they left. I let Declan take charge of this, hoping that I'd catch on quick as time went on.

We followed Grant and Pond to their camp, their men staying in tents or by fires.

Making their way into the woods, Grant and Pond began to talk about Benton. Declan was standing by one of the trees while I had found myself hiding behind another, unseen.

"'Cause he sees enemies everywhere. To secure his trust we'll have to both validate his paranoia and create the illusion of a mutual enemy," Grant said as they continued to walk into the woods at a slow pace.

"Or we could just kill him and negotiate with the next man?" Pond stated with a smile, making Grant chuckle. "I remain open to all options."

That's good to hear.

A branch snapping made Pond push Grant behind him, pull out his gun, and aim it in Declan's direction. I held my breath, hoping that Declan knew what he was doing. If things went South, I was ready to jump in.

"Declare yourself," Pond yelled out, his eyes searching the woods before landing on the tall figure.

"Declan harp," My husband said, taking a few steps out so he was better scene by the moonlight.

Grant seemed taken back by Declan's presence, seeming to smile as he said, "Mr. Harp? Finally." He begins to take a couple of steps forward, pushing Pond's gun down in the process. "Forgive Mr. Pond, he is zealously dedicated to my protection, which I appreciate."

"Why are you in Fort James?" Declan asked, diving right into the questions.

"We're both committed to the demise of the HBC, are we not? I've come to judge how long before Fort James falls, and, if possible, to give it a little nudge. This cause could be advanced considerably if you and your people were to trade with me," Grant said.

These two men were alike in the ways of negotiating. To the point and straight forward.

"You deal only with the Black Wolf Company," Declan stated after a slight pause.

My head peeked around, watching the two men as they spoke while Pond was left to stand and listen. His eyes searched around a few times, making me hope he wouldn't catch a sight and shoot.

Grant nodded, "That's reasonable, provided you can maintain the volume to satisfy my needs. Yes."

"Grace Emberly. When the time comes, you provide safe passage to Montreal or wherever she wants to go," Declan stated, making a small sigh of relief leave my lips. The only thing I asked for was that my sister get the hell out of here. Now, because of Declan, she might get that chance.

"Done. Anything else?" Grant asked?

"Tomorrow, go for a walk with Benton in the woods, away from as many soldiers as possible."

"What do you intend to do?"

"Bury a knife in his chest and cut off his head."

Smiling slightly, Grant nods, "I respect a man who gets straight to the point. Agreed." As if taking power over the situation, Grant motioned for Pond to follow, both of them leaving Declan to himself.

Once I knew the two men had vanished from ear and eye shot, I made my way over to Declan who coughed in pain before wheezing.

My hands were quick to grab his arms, my mind already deciding that it was best to let the deal past. "Are you sure we can trust him?" I asked, my face showing the worried. But it wasn't towards Grant, but towards Declan's health.

"Grant has as much interest in Benton being dead as I do."

"You mean as we do," I said, my face scrunching in confusion. Declan looked at me, silent. "You can't seriously be thinking of doing this alone!" I stated, taking a step back from him and dropping my hands.

"I have to do this myself."

A scuff left my lips, "Since when?"

"Since he shot you and I thought you were dead!" He half yelled at me, silencing me for a minute. That is, until Declan turned and started to walk off.

No way was he taking control of this argument. "Declan, I abandoned everything to follow you. To love you," His feet stopped and his body turns to look at me, staring at me. "And when we married we swore to each other that we would never fight a battle without the other one by their side. We have fought side by side all this time. Don't stop now."

A sigh leaves his lips as he looks at the ground before looking back up at me. He walks over, wrapping one arm around me while the other rests on the back of my head. He kiss the top of my head, mumbling against it, "Together."

Sighing in relief, I nodded and closed my eyes, "Together."

We rested that night, preparing for when the sun came out the next day. Once again, Declan and I were hiding in the woods, watching as Lord Benton walked with Grant and Pond. Our eyes watched closely until a branch snap behind us made us turn and a knife get pull out.

When Michael pushed through the snowy ground, a small irritated sound left my lips and I slide my knife away.

"What are you doing here?" Declan asked, seeming angry.

"Sokanon heard you talking with Grant," Michael said when he reached us, seeming to think that was all he needed to say to reason for his arrival.

A sigh left my lips as I looked back at Benton, "You aren't supposed to be here."

"I chose to be here," Michael stated, making me turn and look at him. His face showed no retreat, making my mouth shut up with words.

Declan started to move through the woods, causing Michael to follow. I quickly grabbed his fur coat, yanking him back which made him stumble back onto the ground. I nodded towards the left, the opposite to where Declan was going.

I led the way, Michael following. As we crept closer, my eyes noticed Pong and Grant stopping and turning to Benton who now stopped too. His face changed to a look of horror before his head looked around.

Shit, I knew we couldn't trust these two.

Quickly, Declan reacts, causing Benton to turn and try to hurry off. Declan throws a knife, hitting a soldier which cue my own entrance.

One of the soldiers that walked with Benton turned towards me as I crept up behind him. I pushed his gun away as it fired, the nose echoing slightly in my ear. I laid a hard punch to his face before grabbing my knife and stabbing the soldier on his side. He leaned over to that side, making it easier to stab his next and watch him drop.

When my eyes land on Declan and Benton, I notice that Declan had thrown one of his knife, hitting Benton's leg and knocking him to the ground.

Another solider come barreling into me, knocking the wind out of me. He's got me pined, his hands wrapping themselves around my throat. My hair supply is cut short and I feel like I'm underwater, holding my breath until I can come up for air.

Without a second thought, I kneed the solider in the groans, knocking his hands away from me. Somehow, I managed to roll out from under him and tackle his back. His hands tried to reach for me, but didn't succeed.

"Kill the boy!" Benton yelled, making me look up to see Michael being pinned to the ground, a knife high up in the air, ready to land on him.

Declan turns around, throwing another knife at the solider holding Michael. I'm quick to snap my soldier's neck, before rising to my feet. My eyes don't leave Declan's figure as he stands still, Pond's gun pointed right at him.

Soldiers start running up the hill towards us, making Declan turn and look at Michael and I who are watching.

"Michael, get Anna out of here!" Declan yelled, causing my voice to start up in seconds. "No! No!" I yelled, Michael grabbing my arms and yanking me towards the woods. He shoves me into it, my eyes never leaving Declan's until I'm safe in the hidden woods.

I take a couple of more steps before stopping by a tree, my arm ripping itself from Michael's grip as I watch the soldiers arrive. They all point their guns at him, my heart racing as my breath joins it.

"Anna, we got to move," Michael whispered to me. But my eyes didn't pull away from Declan's back as he faced the soldiers with a scowl.

"Anna..." Michael said, lightly touching my arm. I seemed to bounce on my toes for a second, debating if we should just charge them now to retreat. I've never been one to retreat unless needed, but with only two of us and Pond now on Benton's side, we were screwed.

A small sigh left my lips with a word, "Shit," before I turned and lead the way deeper in the woods.

Once I knew we were a secured enough distance away, I spoke up. "Where's Sokanon?"

"Waiting for me," Michael stated, seeming to understand that we needed to get to her. He hurried his feet, seeing as mine wouldn't slow down, and lead the way to her.

It was no surprise when we found Sokanon by a fire in the woods, nearby. At first sight of me, she stood and looked around me. "Where's Harp?" She asked as Michael to the side of the fire.

My boots stopped in front of her, the fire the only thing in between all of us now. "Kidnapped, by Benton. Because you two couldn't keep your noses in your own business."

Sokanon mouth dropped in anger and shock, "We've been the ones helping you with all of this. Now, you just want us to turn our backs and act like we haven't done anything?"

"I want you both to listen to orders," I said, doing my best to control the volume of my voice. There was silence between the two, giving me some more time to talk. "Declan was kidnapped because he had to save Michael's ass. Which he wouldn't have needed to do if you would have listened to us and trained him."

I expected Sokanon to object, but instead she looked down at the fire in disappointment. Not in me, but herself.

"Either way, now I need your help. But that's only if you're whiling to do what I ask. Understood?"

They both nodded, mumbling an "understood"."

We moved our way through the woods, our eyes catching sight of a gallows being built to hang Declan tonight. At the sight of it, my hairs stood on edge and my body tensed.

"We need a distraction, something to get people away from Declan," I said, the plain already forming in my head.

"I've got an idea," Michael said, making me turn and look at him. "Blow up the magazine. The powder's already there," He said, looking at me. He was smart, I'll give him that, but even with the divergent, we needed more people to help.

Already moving from the woods, I said, "Come on." Sokanon and Michael were quick to follow, seeming to trust in my unknowing plan.

We snuck into the back of the Ale House to see that it was empty minus the Priest and my half-sister. They let us in the front, ready to hear my plan. Michael explained the distraction while I added onto it.

"Em with blow up the magazine while Sokanon and Michael shoot off some guns. Hopefully that will be enough to cause a panic and make everyone run off." I made my way over to the Priest, handing him a small knife, "When you give Declan his last rites, slip this into his hands."

The Priest nodded before hurrying off.

Michael walked up to Emberly, "We're gonna need Imogen and Mary's help as well."

"Of course," She nodded while I turned to Michael. "You should talk to Clenna," I said, nodding into the upstairs room where a broken leg Clenna waited.

Everyone had a job, everyone knew the plan, but I was short on what I would be doing. I hoped that no one would pay attention or trust that I knew what I was doing, but even then I had lost to my sister.

She made her way up to me, crossing her arms as everyone ran around us. "So, everyone seems to have a job. Except you. What are you planning?"

There was a pause, my half-sister's words repeating in my head that she wanted all the information she could get. This was one of those moments that she used that against me.

Figure she wouldn't help unless I told her, I said, "Declan can't be out there alone. And I can't go long without seeing him. I won't. I'm gonna get him out of here, out of Fort James. I don't know when we'll be back, but we will be. I promise."

Em paused, seeming to take my words in before nodding.

I don't know who it surprised more, my sister or me when I reached over and pulled her into a hug. It wasn't a long one, but it was long enough to be meaningful.

We pulled away before I disappeared in the back. I stripped down to just my boots, black pants, cover-up, and white button up top. A red, cape like cloth laid on a chair, a hood attached to it. It was silk, but the inside was warm. I tied it on, the length reaching just above my ankles. Once I slipped the hood on, I was unrecognizable, looking as if I was just a civilian.

Making my way out of the Ale House, I followed a small crowed over to the court yard. A wooden Gallows stood with a rope hanging over it, ready to hang the man that would stand on it.

My figure moved over to the side a bit, next to a few ladies. I kept my distance, but not far enough that would cause suspicions.

Right now, Emberly was probable getting ready to blow up the magazine while Michael and Sokanon were getting ready to shoot off some guns. They were supposed to have Declan and I's back. Mary and Imogen were going to shoot off guns in the woods, hoping to scare everyone away.

Two guards walking Declan to the Gallows grabbed my attention.

Benton and Chesterfield take their place with front row seats, some soldiers keeping close by.

The Priest walked behind Declan, speaking some Bible verses. They make their way up the stairs, stopping my husband in front of the ropes. One of the Soldiers tied the rope tightly around his neck, making my hand rub my own neck.

It was like I could feel the rope on my own neck, making my nerves stand on end.

The Priest continues to talk, circling Declan before pausing behind him. Even though I couldn't see it, I knew he was slipping the knife in Declan's hands. He knew better then to disobey an order from one of the Harps.

Once the Priest steps aside, there is a sudden explosion off in the distance, lighting up the sky with red fire. On cue, the gunshots start firing off in the woods. Everyone starts screaming and running around in fear. Some of Benton's soldiers try to push him to leave, but he ignores them and keeps his eyes on Declan.

Chesterfield starts shooting off orders before turning to Benton, "Sir, you must go, now!"

I slowly make my way over to the Gallows, my eyes seeming to watch everyone as they run in a panic.

Benton's words ring in my ears, "Drop him! Drop him now!"

Suddenly, the floor give out below Declan and he lets out a yelp as he hangs for a second. He's able to cut his hands free and grab the rope. I quickly use the smoke from the gun firing and fire to my advantage and make my way up the back. I quickly throwing a knife, cutting the rope that is hanging Declan. He grabs the edge of the wood and pulls himself up, my hand quick to help him.

When my eyes look up, past the hood, I notice Benton's wide eyes as he pulls out a gun. The Priest tries to intervene but instead gets a gunshot to the stomach. He's ready to shoot again when Michael appears from the woods, shooting Lord Benton's Spine.

Quickly, I manage to help Declan up and off the Gallows. We make a sharp turn and use the night to shield us as we run in the woods. We don't stop until the gun firing comes to an end and the voices are so far away that their not even heard anymore.

Declan stumbles next to me, my arms seeming to be the only thing pushing him forward. His body is shaking from the cold, causing my feet to slow to a stop. His seem to follow, his head lightly turning to look at me.

Untying and slipping off the red cape, I throw it over his back.

"Anna..."

"We have to keep moving," I say, grabbing his arm and throwing it over my shoulder. I know he's cold and in pain, and it's not just because half of his weight is on me, but because I know my husband.

Declan and I chase the night until morning, finding ourselves away from Fort James' woods and up some snowy, rocky hills. We're so far away that we've hit the Northern Territory, putting the smoke of Fort James out of sight.

The temperature seems to have dropped, even with the sun out, and Declan seems to be growing weaker.

I struggle to fight my own cold, the bullet wound on my side starting to hurt from the weight. I continue to push forward until my legs eventually give out on the side of the hill. Declan seemed to go unconscious, putting me at a bigger disadvantage then before.

Rest, that's what I need to do right now, rest.

My hands make sure the cape is well secured over Declan, using a small part of it to keep me warm as well. The second my eyes close, my teeth stop chattering and darkness is quick to take over me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394 19 23
Ever since the Apocalypse happened almost two and a half years ago, Emma has be fighting off the undead hordes with the hope of reuniting with her hu...
39.3K 1.3K 24
โ—‹Sequel to Heavy Burdens. ๐Ÿ‘‘Winner in the Spartan Awards ๐Ÿ‘‘Winner in the Whirlwind Awards ๐Ÿ’Ž2nd place in the Writer's Circle Awards โ™คParticipant...
318K 13.7K 51
[BOOK 3] "๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™„'๐™ข ๐™ก๐™ฎ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™–๐™ง๐™ข๐™จ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™– ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™–๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™š๐™ง, ๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™š๐™ฉ ๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช." Aspen's sanity wal...
10.6K 217 11
Lyla feels like her life is going nowhere after she lost her job but everything changes when Anaรฏs, her best friend introduces her to a group of guys...