Him and I (Declan Harp)

De Ziehmer28

After loosing their son, Declan Harp and Anna Harp seek revenge on the Red Coats that killed him. Fighting th... Mai multe

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 4

1.3K 25 0
De Ziehmer28

Chapter 4

Michael, Sokanon, Dimanche, and I sat in the woods, a fire crackling by us.

Declan knelt to the side of us, absorbing the map her had tucked away. One his eyes finished looking it over, he stood up, turning to Dimanche, "Go to the camp, gather our men. We'll meet you in the town."

Everyone stood up, my feet carrying me near Declan while Dimanche made it known in front of him. "Why are we going to fort James? Why do we not return to the Lake Walkers and fix this?"

"Because Machk is a fanatic and will never be our ally," Declan said, making a correct point.

"I disagree. He sees you as a European, as a threat, Harp. I should go talk to him. I can gain his trust," Dimanche objecting.

It took no genius to know that this conversation would either end in an argument or Declan silencing him. Either way, it wasn't something that would go smoothly.

Sokanon spoke up, hoping to get through to her friend, "Dimanche, Machk would kill you."

Declan nodded in agreement before carrying on, "Things have changed. We have lost our army, so we deal with Benton ourselves."

Michael looked at him questionable, "So that's why we're going to Fort James?"

"Benton's surrounded by soldiers," Sokanon spoke up next to Michael, starting to reveal that she thought this was crazy.

Hoping to show everyone that I stuck by Declan's side, I spoke up. "Then we will kill his soldiers and then we will kill him."

Dimanche looked between Declan and I like we had just said something crazy. "You're serious? He has eighty armed men. There are only five of us. Even with our entire company..."

"Go get our men and meet me in fort James," Declan caught off. He was starting to get irritated with the back talk from Dimanche. And, if we're being honest, so was I.

Declan went to turn away, only to stop when Dimanche spoke up again, "In spring, more ships will arrive full of Redcoats. This is a battle that can't be won."

"Not necessarily," Michael chirped in, gaining all of our attention. "A strike at the heart of the company would send a message that we are a serious threat, that the company's vulnerable."

Dimanche's face scrunched up in discus, gesturing to Michael. "When did this boy become one of us? We don't know him. He could slit our throats in our sleep."

Looking to the boy, Declan asked, "You going to slit our throats, Michael?"

"Well, you never know," Michael shrugged, saying it so casually that I couldn't help but smile. Though, he said that he never knew, it was obvious he was just trying to lighten up the moment.

Dimanche shook his head, seeming to see that he was the only one ready to drop everything and walk away from this. When his eyes met Declan's and the anger rose in them, I knew something was about to be said that we wouldn't like. "This obsession you and Anna have with Benton, it got Samoset killed. It will get us killed!"

In second, I had my knife pulled, seeming to have my hand on it already. I grabbed Dimanche's coat and slammed him up against a near-by tree. My knife held to his throat, my breath deep and quick as I glared into his eyes angry.

Sokanon spoke up, looking to Declan, "Harp! Stop her!"

I don't move, waiting to see what my husband will do. But when he doesn't do anything, I realize I have full control of the situation.

It's no surprise that Dimanche glares at me as if I'm not the person holding his life in my hands. Either way, I shove him and pull my knife away, taking a few steps back, "You'd just be a waste of breathe."

Dimanche gathers himself, looking even angrier as he looks at Declan, "I'm done! I'm taking the men with me!" With those words to hang in the air, he walks away from us.

Sooner or later, I knew he'd grow sick and tired of taken commands from us. But taken our men? That was something that wasn't a surprise, but more of a disappointment.

"Let's go," I say, turning and kicking out the fire before starting to walk away. Declan keeps his distance for a bit, letting me cool off on my own. When my hand slipped my knife back into its holster, it gave Declan the go to catch up.

Hid pace matches mine as he walks in silence for a minute. Eventually, he broke it, speaking in a hushed voice. "Are you alright?"

I pause, trying to find the answer. Instead, I find a question of my own.

"Why didn't you stop me?"

Declan seems slightly taken back by my question, turning to look at me before focusing on the trail again. "Because I trust you. Because Dimanche was bound to get what he deserved eventually. And because I knew you wouldn't do it."

My head turned to look at him, finding his eyes back on me again. I don't know whether to feel disappointed or impressed. "And what makes you think that?"

"Like you said, it'd be a waste of breath," He said with a shrug, causing the smallest smile to jump on my face. Declan put his arm around my back, rubbing it soothingly before dropping it.

Night crept up on us and we all gathered around a fire to get some sleep. Declan was always the last to fall asleep and the first to wake up, making me wonder if he even slept. Tonight, Michael and Sokanon were the first to enter the darkness of sleep. For me, my eyes were closed, putting me in a sleep like look while my ears and mind still struck awake.

The feeling of someone watching me, let me know that my senses hadn't wavered when it came to my husband. I swear, in a crowd of people, if he looked at me, my eyes would pull to him like magnets and something would jump in my stomach.

No wonder the stories think Declan and I are connected.

The sound of a small kick and the movement of someone waking up pulled me from my thoughts.

"Can I trust you?" I hear Declan's quiet but striked voice ask the person, who could only be Michael.

"Of course you can trust me," Michael voice says, confirming my thoughts.

There's a small pause, making me wonder if that was it. But, I don't hear any movements so I'm left to think that it still is continuing. Sure enough, Declan speaks up, "It's gonna be dangerous in Fort James."

"I know."

"And your girl, Clenna? When the spring comes and a ship departs for England, will you be on it?" He asked, making silence fill the air. I can tell, even though my eyes are closed, that Michael is in deep thought.

Suddenly, his next words somewhat shock me, "Would you?"

Declan doesn't answer, and I can hear his footing change slightly, meaning his body had shifted with tension. He lets out a small sigh, the sound of movement heard as he says, "You have a decision to make."

With that, silence takes over once again and sleep eventually takes ahold of me like the rest.

The next day, we find ourselves back in the woods again, following a trail. The trail clearly has only ever been used by feet and hidden so deep into the woods that we knew it's be safe.

"What we need is information. How many Redcoats, where they're stationed," Declan said, leading the way while I followed. Michael took next and Sokanon took the back.

"The garrison then, by the governor's house," Michael commented.

Declan started to slow his pace to a stop. "We'll get a head count, their routine, when they're most likely to be surprised."

Sokanon looked at him confused, "How exactly are we going to kill them? We are only four."

"Gunpowder," I said, looking at the two clueless people before us.

Michael's mouth dropped slightly, looking to Sokanon only to see that she was just as surprise as he was. "Gunpowder? How much?"

"Ten barrels," I answered, making Sokanon look between Declan and I, "Where will we get it?"

Declan answered, "Leave that to us. We'll meet at the Ale House, back entrance. Make sure you're not seen. The Redcoats know your faces. If they see you they will shoot. Garrison's that way. Good luck," He said pointing off to the right.

Putting up his hood, Declan turned and started to walk in the opposite direction. I watched as Sokanon sighed before looking to Michael, "Let's go." They move along, leaving me to myself for second before I turn and join Declan.

The walk to the Ale House seemed to take longer than expected, carrying us into the night.

Emberly, at the sight of us, closed up early, letting the fire carry on next to us. Emberly sat at one end of the table while Declan and I sat at the other end.

My eyes watched Declan and Emberly, recalling their last meeting which wasn't entirely the best.

Doing what my half-sister does best, Emberly started to fill us in on information. "His name's Johnson. He arrived with a company of soldiers, unexpectedly as far as I can tell."

"So altogether..." Declan started, pausing in hopes she would understand where he was going.

Emberly had her arms crossed over her chest, looking at Declan with a raised eyebrow. "In the garrison? Well, over a hundred men."

Declan let out a sigh, seeing how this might be a bit harder than predicted. I decided to ask the main question of the hour, hoping it would sound better coming from me. "We need gunpowder. Ten barrels, maybe more."

"Why?"

"I was gonna throw Anna a party but now you've ruined it," Declan said with a playful smirk, glancing over at me. I smiled, hitting his arm before focusing my attention on my sister. She seemed taken back by the favor, unsure of why we needed this. "Em, we need this," I said, the playful moment gone.

Emberly dropped her arms, leaning forward in a business like matter, "I run an Ale House. What the hell do I know about gunpowder?"

Knowing my sister and the people here, Declan spoke up. "Every thief and black marketeer comes to Fort James to drink and boast here. I need a name."

Emberly let out a sigh, looking between Declan and I, "Ten barrels of gunpowder?"

"Maybe more," I added, hoping she understood that we probable would need more.

The pieces must have started to slip together because my half-sister's voice rose slightly, "What are you thinkin'? Are you gonna attack the garrison?"

"We're not going to tell you 'cause we don't want to put you in danger," I said, starting to think this was a bad idea. When her voice rose and her eyes settled on me, I knew that we should have just asked someone else.

But who else could we trust?

"Fine! Then I'm not gonna help you. And there's the door!" She half yelled, gesturing towards the door behind us. She paused, her eyes still on me, "Anna we're sisters, maybe not whole but still half. When you didn't want to work here and wanted to talk trade, I let you do it right here." Her finger and attention turned to Declan, "And when you started all those fights, I broke them up."

Emberly crossed her arms, leaning back again in her seat, "It's time you two started to trust me."

My head turned to Declan who seemed to do the same to me, both of us search each other's faces on what to do. Apparently, our faces gave it all away because my sister spoke up quick.

"If you think killing Benton and all of his me will bring you piece then you are wrong."

"It'll bring us peace," I stated, making my sister turn to me with parted lips.

I could see it in her face that she was ready to yell at us or decline our request. But, when one of the workers, Mary, came in the room I knew we were saved.

"Excuse me, Ma'am. There's somebody at the back door asking for Mr. and Mrs. Harp."

Well, that was something I didn't normally hear. No one had addressed us as Mr. and Mrs. Harp in years, if ever. It kind of sounded nice, bringing a warm feeling to my stomach.

Declan and I left the table and fire warmth, heading to the back where Sokanon and Michael waited. Michael seemed jumpy and ready to run, looking almost excited. When he spoke, it took no genius to find out why, "I found Clenna. She's at the back of the house. There's a window. We could get her out, just the four of us, quick and easy!"

"You're sure it was Clenna?" Declan asked?

"Yes, I'm sure."

"We saw her," Sokanon confirmed.

Declan paused while I sat on the table near-by, waiting to see what Declan's call would be. Whatever it was, wasn't fast enough for Michael because he spoke up again. "She's not safe there! I betrayed Lord Benton for you. He'll punish her for that! We have to get her out!"

Turning to Michael with a bit of annoyance, Declan asked, "And what happens then? An Irish city girl with us in the wild? She wouldn't last a day."

I could already hear Declan's thoughts. Thinking that Michael needed to think this through with his head instead of other parts. Which, despite it being the love of his life at the moment, was true.

Declan turned and looked at me, seeming to wonder what my thoughts were. In all honesty, I knew what my answer was but I hated to crush Michael's hope so quickly. So, I shrugged,

"I'm askin'. Do it for me," Michael pleaded, his eyes mostly on Declan.

A sigh left my husband's lips as his butt leaned itself on the table I was sitting in. "Not tonight. Both of you go back to the garrison, you keep watch."

"Harp, I know..." Michael started but Declan's dep words stopped any other words.

"Michael you said I could trust you."

Michael paused, staring at Declan before looking to me. When he saw my eyes retreat to my hands, he quickly turned and stormed out the back door. The door closed behind him, making Declan sigh. "He's gonna go after her."

Sokanon spoke up, seeming to come to Michael's rescue, "Let him. He'll come back to us. Michael Smyth would die for you!" She seemed to leave the same way as Michael, the door closing behind her as well.

Declan looked at his hands in wonder while one of mine sat on his shoulder, bringing him comfort.

Though we would never lose each other, the realistic thought was that we were slowly losing our friends. The days starting to take a number on Declan.

"I'll make it happen," A voice said, making Declan and I turn towards the entrance of the back. Emberly stood there, seeming to have heard everything that was just said. "The gunpowder. Just give me the silver."

"Thank you," Declan nodded to her, making her only nod back before disappearing back into the main part. My face must have done some type of movement because Declan looked over at me and spoke. "You should talk to her. We don't know what's to come."

I looked at Declan like he was crazy, not understanding where this was coming from. But the second my eyes landed on his, my mouth shut and a sigh left my lips. My butt slid off the table as I dropped my hand from Declan's shoulder.

Making my way into the main part of the Ale House, I found Emberly at the bar, cleaning up still from the day.

"Thank you again, for doing this," I said to her, speaking to her as if I had never thanked someone to go. It wasn't that I hadn't, it was just awkward between us.

"Well, I wasn't doing it for him," She stated, not even looking at me as she turned and slid a bottle of beer onto the shelf.

I rolled my eyes as I planted my hands on the bar, feeling the stickiness of it. A scuff left my lips, shaking my head as I mumbled, "You just can't give it a rest, can you."

My words made Emberly stop and look at me, "I can't give it a rest? You were the one who ran off!" She half yelled, clearly letting her anger out, now that it was just the two of us.

Emberly wasn't one who was scared of yelling in front of Declan, but she preferred that sister business stuck with sisters.

"Because I was happy and in love, which you clearly couldn't see!" I half yelled back at her, gesturing to her with my hand.

"Oh, I could see it perfectly fine," She said with a nod, turning and adding another bottle to the shelf. She was getting annoyed and angry, as was I.

There was a pause, Emberly stopping and joining my hands on the bar. She let out a huff before looking down and saying, "You could have visited. You could have wrote. Instead, you just disappeared."

"Because you wouldn't want to listen to the things I had to say."

Emberly looked up at me, "You mean Declan?" I said nothing, giving her, her answer. "Anna, look at where you're at! Look at what you've lost! If Declan isn't the cause for that then I don't know what is! And it defiantly isn't Lord Benton"

My words came out louder than planned, seeming to have built up long enough before spilling over. "How would you know? You never asked!"

My half-sister seemed taken back by my words.

"Since the day I met him, you never once asked me what I saw in him. Why I picked him. Why I left with him."

"Anna he's a murderer and a monster..." Emberly said quieter.

"That's what the world saw. But that's not what I saw. I saw a strong and determined man. I saw someone whiling to go that extra mile for the people he cared about. I saw a man who loves me unconditionally. Someone who makes me happy every day. Who makes me laugh and smile all the time. I saw my husband, the father of my kids. And you wouldn't know any of this, because you never asked. You just assumed, like everyone else. That's why I left. That's why I didn't come back or write to you."

Emberly's eyes looked at the counter, seeming disappointed. At first, I thought it was in me, my anger starting to rise. But, when these four words left her lips, I realized it wasn't in me, but herself.

"Your right, I'm sorry," She nodded, looking up at me.

I was silent, not knowing what to say or how to react. When I heard the back door open, I was grateful, giving me a chance to leave the situation.

The second I entered the back, there stood Michael, Sokanon already by Declan's side like she had been there for a while.

"What happened?" I asked, looking at Michael in wonder.

"Benton's been feeding her lies. I couldn't convince her to leave," Michael said disappointedly. I knew something like this would happen, but Michael needed to see it to believe it.

"Are you with us?" Declan asked, hoping that Michael got his little journey out of the way and was now back on track.

Michael nodded, "I am."

Declan nodded, "Good. It's not safe here. Let's make camp outside of town. Let's go!"

Michael turned, grabbing the door handle and opening it half way, only to close it again. He quickly turned to us, panic in his eyes, "Soldiers are coming."

"They followed you!" Sokanon hissed at Michael.

Declan started to head towards the front of the Ale House, "Come on. This way."

Before we could reach the front door, it was kicked open, soldiers pouring in with guns at the ready.

"We need him alive!" One of the Soldiers yelled as I grabbed two knives out of their holster.

"Good luck with that," Declan said, grabbing one man's gun and yanking him forward before giving him a hard punch.

One came rushing towards me, my knives at the ready as I used my arm to push the gun away before stabbing him in the head with my knives. He dropped to the ground, only to have another take him place. I was able to rip one of the knives out of the other man's skull, using it to slash at his ankles. I stood, cutting his throat in the process.

My eyes caught sight of Declan struggling with two men, my hands quick to action before my mind was. I threw my knife, watching as it hit one guy in the spine, making him scream out in pain. Declan used this to his advantage and knocked one away, grabbing the knife as he fell before turning and stabbing the other in the shoulder blade.

Sokanon is struggling against the bar, my mind reacting quicker this time. I quick pounce on him, grabbing his head and giving it a tight turn until I hear the snap.

"Go, get out of here!" I yelled to her, landing on my feet while the man fell to the ground.

My eyes catch sight of Michael running off, Declan voice still yelling, "Go, Michael!"

I'm caught off guard by a soldier who tackles me onto the bar, my body colliding with it so hard I was sure one of the two would break. Two other soldiers used this to their advantage and grab my arms, my body struggling.

They yank me off the bar and away from it, the room suddenly going quiet. My body struggled in the soldiers' arms still, only to stop when a gun was aimed right at my head.

"Declan, stop!" Emberly yelled, causing Declan to stop his soon to be action of starting up again and look at Emberly. He followed her eyes to me, his anger growing but his actions hauling.

The soldiers rose their guns at Declan and me, one of the soldiers spoking up. "By order of Lord Benton, Governor of Fort James, Declan Harp and Anna Harp, you are both under arrest."

Well shit.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

135K 1.5K 62
"And lastly, that's Madison, or Mads, my little sister who is also trying to climb up the broken lifeguard tower. We're only a year apart. When she's...
9K 185 13
Declan Harp is no stranger to misfortune, pain, and survival. So after his fiasco in Fort James and narrowly avoiding death, he's sent North for bett...
49.6K 1.3K 27
Shaylee had nothing more to lose when she sneaked into a boat and left her homeland Ireland for good. She had burned all the bridges behind her, and...
1.9K 92 10
Wren and the pack barely have time to recover from Allison and Aidens' deaths when yet another threat comes to Beacon Hills; and this time it's a dea...