Queen of the Night (Witchfire...

By AJSCURRAH

Chance Nightshade, daughter of the Melbourne City Alpha, will avenge her brother's murder at any cost. Even i... More

Season List of Witchfire
Dedication
PROLOGUE - Arthur
Chapter 1 - Prophecy
Chapter 3 - A Deal With the Devil
Chapter 4 - Deception
Chapter 5 - The Five Stages
Chapter 6 - Love and War
Chapter 7 - The Arrogant Prince
Chapter 8 - Absolute Madness
Chapter 9 - Harsh Truths
Chapter 10 - Couple's Row
Chapter 11 - A Hill To Die On
Chapter 12 - Formidable
Chapter 13 - Secrets
Chapter 14 - Silence
Chapter 15 - The Way Between Worlds
Chapter 16 - The Vortex
Chapter 17 - The Council of Thirteen
Chapter 18 - Murder-In-Law
Chapter 19 - Broken
Chapter 20 - Final Farewell
Chapter 21 - Mirror Image
Chapter 22 - King for a Day
Chapter 23 - Collatoral
Chapter 24 - Trial
Chapter 25 - Shadow War
Chapter 26 - Death from Above
Chapter 27 - Salad or Fries
Chapter 28 - Clock Strikes Four
Chapter 29 - Blood Witch
Chapter 30 - Vodka Lantern
Chapter 31 - Manslaughter
Chapter 32 - Heart Stopper
Chapter 33 - Victims of Circumstance
Chapter 34 - Dominantly Yours
Chapter 35 - Pen Pal
Chapter 36 - Recruitment
Chapter 37 - What Say You
Chapter 38 - Mind Fire
Chapter 39 - Mental Graft
Chapter 40 - Interrogation
Chapter 41 - Judge, Jury & Execution
Chapter 42 - Ambush
Chapter 43 - Into the Dark
Chapter 44 - A Pale Ghost
Chapter 45 - Ultimatum
Chapter 46 - A Choice Restored
Chapter 47 - Face the Music
Chapter 48 - A Feral Shade of Amber
Chapter 49 - Family Feud
Chapter 50 - White Wedding
Chapter 51 - Vengeance
EPILOGUE
AFTERWORD... OR AFTER PARTY?!?!

Chapter 2 - Murder on the Mind

76.4K 2.9K 508
By AJSCURRAH

I ignored Midna's attempt to make eye contact as she was escorted from the hall by a contingent of guards. She must have seen that nothing fruitful would come of her visit, so why bother coming in the first place? I scorned her useless magic, which should have inspired her to prevent my brother's death. Surely that was the most direct way to prevent the shadow war she was so desperately afraid of.

When the throne room was empty of everyone save Richard, my father turned on me.

"You are not to leave this house under any circumstances," he said.

"But I won't be able to fight if I'm stuck here," I pointed out, realising too late that it was a moot argument. Arthur had taught me all he knew, but those lessons were conducted in secret, against our father's express wishes.

Even so, I was an advisor to the throne, a position I'd secured thanks to my magic. How was I supposed to do my job effectively if I couldn't get involved in the war effort?

"Exactly," Father said. "You're the last in line to the throne, Chance; the last surviving child of your mother, and all I have left of her in this world. You're staying put. That's an order."

I beseeched him to rethink the matter — a mistake. He took my plea as a challenge and stalked forward, the vein in his forehead bulging. Dominance flooded the room in a rush that threatened to unbalance me. The unseen extension of Father's will was like the tide, insistent and cold, permeating the air with the ghostly taste of salt. I tried to shove back, but the force of my mind was but a candle flame, paltry in comparison to his. With each pull of his ocean, it flickered weaker, until it threatened to sputter out altogether...

My resolve buckled. I bowed my head, breathing hard. "As you wish, sir."

"Good." The aggression drained from his stance, leaving behind an exhaustion that was uncharacteristic of the City Alpha. I was looking at a man who'd outlived his only son. "Call for the City Pack on your way out, and make sure Richard gets to the infirmary. I'll need him in good condition for our interrogation."

I knew he was excluding me from the meeting because I'd argued with him. As an extension of the City Pack and an advisor to the throne, I had every right to be amongst them, deliberating on the future of our people. I opened my mouth to say just as much when a chill ran down my spine, a frigid reminder of the futility of my frustration. He'd already defeated me in a mental battle; did I really want this to come to blows?

"Come on," I huffed at Richard, hauling him up by the collar of his shirt.

Richard swayed like a drunkard as we made our way to the infirmary on the third floor, drawing curious looks from the night owls perching in the common areas. The mansion felt reminiscent of a hotel at this godforsaken hour. Without the bustle of daily life, the rows of doors, crystal chandeliers, mahogany fixings and lush, maroon carpets looked decidedly corporate and eerily timeless. Only the occasional glimpse of a modern appliance reassured me that we were, in fact, living in the twenty-first century.

"Wait up," Richard wheezed.

Glancing back, I realised he was leaving a very obvious trail of blood behind us. "The cleaners won't be happy about that," I remarked.

Richard's shoulders went rigid. "My heartfelt apologies, Lady Nightshade. The next time I'm attacked by vampires, I'll ask them to lend me some paper towel."

I snorted. "That simply isn't true."

"Get off my case," he complained, limping past me.

I stopped short, realising that I hadn't even started to get on his case. I'd been trying so hard not to think about my brother's death that I'd almost squandered a vital opportunity to interrogate a key witness to it.

"How did you survive?" I asked abruptly, grabbing Richard's arm.

He turned around with a look that could kill pigeons mid-flight.

My answering one could kill pterodactyls.

"I ran," he said eventually, looking away. "The Irephang boy fights like something else. I wouldn't have survived if I tried to take him on."

I shook my head, tasting the ghost of something bad in my mouth. Not only had Richard failed to protect my brother, whose safety was his primary responsibility as the City Heir Beta, but he'd passed up the opportunity to avenge him as well.

"You disgust me," I muttered, unable to shake the sense that I should have been there. I would have been there, if it wasn't for my cursed ability to tell truth from lies. Richard's position in that pack was technically my birthright, and I'd never quite forgiven him for usurping it.

"You don't know what it's like," Richard whispered, staring intently at his bloodied boots. "What it's like to really live, or to nearly die. And how could you, cooped up in this gilded cage? Tonight I realised that my life is just a small collection of insignificant experiences. I wasn't ready to leave it at that."

"Insignificant is an apt word," I retorted, aggravated by the notion that I was naïve for lack of a near-death experience. "To describe you, that is."

"Says the girl who lives in her father's shadow," he snapped, eyes darting up to my face. "You've been a legal adult for what, a year now?"

"Yes," I ground out.

"I'm willing to bet you've done nothing with that freedom. That you've never even seen the city at night," he said, puffing out his chest. "Who are you to lecture me?"

He was right, but it was so much more complicated than that. My leash was always shorter than Arthur's, and to be lectured by a spoilt Olsen... "I'm an advisor to the City Pack. You're just a coward," I spat.  "A coward without a pack, because they all died on your watch."

"And you're a child," he snarled. "No, you're worse than that; children grow up. You're domesticated."

Anger surged in my chest. "Careful," I warned, resisting the urge to strike him; I wasn't entirely sure I would win. It would be more effective to threaten Richard with my father's wrath, if I wanted him to do my bidding. "The City Alpha would show no mercy if I let slip that you had a hand in Arthur's death."

He froze. "Why would you say something like that?"

"Why, is it true?"

Pressing his lips together, Richard yanked his arm out of my grasp and renewed his limping walk, trying to pull ahead of me. I matched his gait, loath to allow him a reprieve from my presence.

The longer we maintained our seething silence, the keener the cut of grief became, slicing through my chest and cracking through bone. Not ready to face the baggage that came with losing a brother, I floundered for a distraction, for anything to keep me focussed on the present. "Did anyone besides the Irephang boy survive?"

"Yes," Richard said curtly. "His personal bodyguard. But the guard was pretty messed up when I left."

I'd needed an enemy, and now I was being presented with one. Arthur's killer was still out there, alive and well. Something wet rolled down the heels of my hands. Looking down, I realised that my fingernails had drawn blood.

Richard actually shrank back when I looked his way, balking from my gaze. His unwitting submission sent a thrill of satisfaction through me. It also spurred an important realisation. I was a Nightshade, more beast than human, stronger and more cunning than all but my father. I was more capable of avenging my brother than anybody else in this damned community.

The Irephang boy killed a child of royalty. It was only fitting that I should be the one to return the favour.

A son for a son, I thought, growing surer of my plan with every second. Yes, that would make the playing fields even. That would be a responsible way to claim my revenge, as opposed to waging war on an entire populace for the actions of one fool. But when will I get the opportunity to go after him?

We were at war, and Father was insistent on my staying home. No doubt the second I reached the infirmary I would encounter my own contingent of guards, replete with silver blades and convincing excuses to see me safely to my room. Fearing the City Alpha more than his daughter, they would do everything in their power to ensure that I followed his orders.

The whole mansion had become a trap, and the only way to escape it was by leaving now.

News of the war was yet to be made public, so I wouldn't have to worry about excess patrols hampering my attempt to reach vampire territory. There was also the possibility of catching the Irephang prince before he made it back to his stronghold. With only one guard, and an injured one at that, he would be vulnerable, accessible; an opportunity that might never present itself again.

"Where were you attacked?" I asked, forcing an outward calm I didn't feel.

"An alleyway off of Collins Street," Richard answered, slowly this time. "Why?"

Perhaps it's time I saw the city at night. "No reason. Do you know the way to the infirmary?"

He rolled his eyes. "Of course. I've been there countless times before."

"I don't doubt that," I quipped, relishing the affronted curl of his upper lip. "Well, that settles it. We've evidently had enough of each other's company, so why don't you make your own way to the infirmary? I'm sure you can see to that, at least."

I kissed him on the cheek — right over the top of a bruise. I was halfway down the corridor when Richard processed my abrupt departure and started demanding my return. His panicked orders quickly gave way to terrified pleas; all fell upon selectively deaf ears.

I had an Irephang to kill.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.9K 1.9K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...
197K 4.3K 33
Sheltered shifter Celeste runs away after disappointing her parents with another failure to secure a worthy mate bond, but she accidentally stumbles...
648K 30.3K 79
Psychiatrist Diana Carter wakes up in the middle of a forest badly hurt and with no recollection of how she got there. Paralyzed, she tries to call f...
Kyle By Gabby

Werewolf

7.5K 524 25
Third story in the Alpha's Daughter and the Beta's son series. Kyle is now the alpha of the Nightshade pack and he is now looking for his mate. Wha...