WINDOWS ⋮ TATBILB

By -strategy

❝I DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE NIGHT ALONE. ❞ [JOSH SANDERSON X OC] [8.21.18-] ... More

WINDOWS
DISCLAIMER
PROLOGUE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN

SIX

1.5K 40 7
By -strategy

𝟢𝟨 · 𝘣𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘶𝘭

· · ·

WHEN OCTOBER ROLLED AROUND, THEA WAS ALREADY PREPARING FOR HALLOWEEN.

Maniacally she clasped her hands together and laughed.

"What's with you?" Ethan raised an eyebrow.

"Halloween," she whispered in an almost psychotic manner with a devilish grin. Ethan instantly shut up. 

She hadn't gone to Josh Sanderson's house in a couple weeks, but the event she was looking forward to was the college party, the one she DMed about not too long ago. It was a Halloween party, which made her even more excited than ever. 

Josh surely didn't miss her, she was letting him off easy since he didn't have to stay up so late for her to come back. All he responded when she texted him was ok. Of course, she dwelled over those two letters for a few hours before giving up. 

Ina Christensen was busy writing something in Ethan's notebook before sliding it to him. He was madly scribbling something back and the rather loud scratching of the pencil against paper made Thea squirm and look over his shoulder. 

"So you're just gonna move on from you-know-who?" she hissed in his ear. "Ina, I love your belt. It's perfect for our Halloween idea and you must wear it."

"Thanks, girl," Ina whispered over to Thea. They were in the same friend group, so Thea was sweet on the girl. "I plan on it."

"What? No..." Ethan furrowed his brow. "I've got something."

Josh was in the front row next to another smart girl, something Booker. Thea was sure she had made fun of the girl before, maybe accidentally ran into her so she caused all the books and papers to fall. 

"Whatever you say."

She watched Josh laughing with the Booker girl about something said between the two of them. Their laughs echoed throughout the room, causing a few people to turn around to see what the commotion was about. They looked at each other and shared knowing looks with a small smirk. And Thea didn't like not knowing secrets. Even the ones between a weird loser with a nice smile and big boobs and the sweetest loser she'd ever met with a heart of gold.

"You know, you've been delaying talking to me about some sort of whatever for like three weeks already, can you just tell me already?" Ethan pouted.

"Later, okay?"

"Thee, I trust you'll come to me in your own time, but I have got to hear all the tea, alright?"

"Fine, fine, after school, you know our favorite place."

"Alrighty," Ethan saluted her, his signature move to everyone- whether in an honest or sarcastic way. This moment was sincere, and she was grateful for him.

"You know I love you, Ethan," she smiled. 

"Of course, Thee," he smiled back. 

She looked up to see Josh's back turned from her, just a few chairs away. His head then turned slightly as if he were about to turn around to face her, then turned back to grin widely for the Booker girl.

Maybe she wanted to be the one next to that loser, smiling and laughing at some inside joke the two shared. The only inside joke she and Josh ever shared was her life story.

As she focused her attention back to writing on her notebook, Ethan nudged her and pointed at a potential costume idea on his phone. "I heard they're going as a lightning bolt."

She snorted-though she didn't mean to. "Ethan, you're a genius. It does suck that you can't complete our squad costume idea, though."

"I know, but I've gotta do it. When else will I get the chance?" Ethan said. "I applied early decision."

"Yeah," she chewed her bottom lip. "I believe in you, Ethan."

"Thanks, Thee."

"So if two people are dating or they like each other, then usually at Halloween they'd dress up to match each other right?"

"Most of the time, that's why I'm planning my outfit after confirming with my sources what they're wearing."

"Interesting."

· · ·

She tapped her fingers on the table while waiting impatiently for her best friend to come over. Her idea was set in motion, costumes confirmed and underway. But that wasn't what they were going to talk about.

But as she received her fries and sipped her coke, a familiar boy sat down in the booth seat across from her. "Hi. Can we talk?"

"Oh," she blurted.

Josh rested his elbows over the table and was leaning over, waiting for her response. 

"Considering you're already in my booth, I'd say I don't have much of a choice," she said. "What do you want?"

"You're going to that party, aren't you?"

"Fucking- Josh, give it up, already, okay?"

"I just want you to be careful!"

I don't need you to hold my hand when I go to 'trick-or-treat', Dad, she almost snapped at him. Instead, she inhaled sharply and said, "Fine. I'll 'be careful' or whatever."

"And call me when you're done, your designated survivor's most likely gonna be hammered anyway."

"In her defense.... Actually, yeah, I have no point against that," she nodded. "But don't worry about me, okay? You're not my friend, and we're already breaking enough rules as it is-"

"Okay, screw the rules, Thea!" he said, his voice decibels louder than before. "Like it or not, I also care about you as if you were my friend."

"Why?" she said. Her eyes were now glistening. "I'm a mess, you know? You're not my friend. I let my guard down one time the other night-"

"You let your guard down every day you choose to drink, Thea. That's how it works. You aren't in control of your actions and it makes you vulnerable."

"That's why I trusted you," said Thea. "Why drunk me chose you as someone that would be kind enough to be my crashpad. You're a good guy, Josh. But I don't want you to worry about me so much, alright?"

"Then how come you haven't come over in nearly a month?" he asked. 

She purses her lips and said nothing.

"You trust me and care about my input, but I know you're out there partying, probably staying in a stranger's house while I'm scared that it would be my fault if you never came home."

"Don't blame yourself for my actions, it's my life. As far as you and I are concerned, we don't know each other," she said coldly.

"Thee! They've got a BOGO sale at the boba place a block over!" Ethan cried out. "Oh. Sup, Sanderson! You hanging out with Thee outside of school, too?"

"Actually, he just came up to me out of the blue," Thea lied. "Nice seeing you again, though. I hope UVA takes you for the fall."

He blinked twice, uncomprehending, before managing a "thank you" to her.

After they left the cafe (of course she paid for whatever she got there), Ethan looked over to Thea with a worried expression. "So is now a good time?"

"Now is better than never-remember that Zeta Phi whatever party back in the summertime?" she asked.

"Yeah, the one where you and that frat guy were vibing hardcore."

"We had sex," she answered.

"Nice."

"It was my first time, Ethan. And I regret it so much, I wanted my first time to be something special."

He put a hand on her shoulder to stop her from walking further. "I completely understand, Thea. And I'm really sorry- was it because of..."

"Maybe. Peer pressure is still a thing."

"God, had I known how you were really feeling about it, I would've knocked that guy out unconscious-if Sanderson doesn't beat me to it."

"The hell are you talking about?"

"He's into you, Thee. The few times I saw him, he was always looking at you," he winked. "That, or maybe he's just into me. Either-or is fine."

"I'm not the only self-absorbed ass here then, am I?"

"Either way, I think he's a good guy and he'd probably jump at the chance to help you for everything," Ethan shrugged. "But I'll make sure you're okay whenever he's not around, alright?"

"Thanks, Ethan."

"And also... You guys are more than just neighbors-I think you've talked to him for more than you claim."

Dammit, she was getting sloppy trying to remain quiet about her and Josh. The only person she talked to about it was a random girl she was drinking with when she used her fake ID at a club and when she was venting out to Cher. And now after two years, Ethan was now getting suspicious.

"There's nothing going on with us, if that's what you're thinking."

"Alright," he put his hands up in innocence. "Two large milk teas with a shit ton of boba, and maybe some Taiwanese sausage if they have it."

"Sounds good."

She didn't want to tell him that it wasn't Josh who liked her but the complete opposite. She couldn't bear to hear him laugh at her for having feelings for fucking Josh Sanderson, a boy no one would ever expect someone like her to fall for.

Lilian especially. She'd think she was crazy. Sure it was nice of her to have persuaded Thea to invite him to a Sato party, but under the false sweetness of the extended invite was the ugly truth.

Thea also didn't want to tell him why Josh showed up to Ethan's party and she was glad he didn't question it. Unlike her unkind ways, Ethan didn't really care about who came to his parties as long as they had a good time, he was so friendly with everyone. She wished so badly to have that sort of mindset like Ethan's.

It was crucial that her friends didn't find out about the feelings she had for Josh- she'd stomp over that crush under her heel soon enough before anyone gave even a single thought about her and Josh potentially being a couple.

· · ·

Completed: 911.18

Editing status: N/A

A/N:

sorry it's such a short chapter but i really just wanna write hALLOWEEN it's a spooky season y'all

and uh hopefully i'm done with this fic by 14-16 chapters and then moving on to my next TATBILB that's peter kavinsky post-high school! read the intro and vote if you're interested! 

and of course, thanks for reading! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

346K 13K 54
Meet Rachel Brody Everything comes easy to her. She has it all. Fame, money, boys. In one word popular. A Goddess amongst commoners. She is even the...
106K 1.8K 18
❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 ❞ fem oc x andrew clark [ started 10/08/2020 ] [ completed 24/08...
207K 2.4K 40
Whatever comes to mind 😉😊 Please do not read my book if you are under 14. ********Warning Sexual Content*************** Don't report my book eithe...
1.1K 33 9
God, Rory! Stop acting like a. . .LOVEFOOL! LOVEFOOL fem!oc x ricky bowen hsmtmts season 1-4 honeyandboundary, 2023