Surviving the Mercers

By The_Starzee

So this is going to be a 'book' compiled of deleted scenes, excerpts of chapters to come, character profiles... More

Surviving the Mercers
The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 1
The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 2
The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 3
The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 4
The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 5
The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 6
The Rules of Engagement Deleted Scene 1
The Rules of Engagement Miscellaneous
Character Profile: Alec
Kalen Excerpts
The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 7
Chapter 10 of RoS in Justice's POV
Ioney Scene not included in any books.
Kalen Excerpt #2
Mercer World Miscellaneous #1

Character Profile: Justice

5.2K 262 24
By The_Starzee

Character profile:  Justice

Full name:  Giustizio Carmine Montoya

Preferred name:  Montoya

D.O.B:  24th December

Age:  21

Parents:  Isabella Montoya (Deceased)  Father unknown

Siblings:  None

Tattoos:

The CBK tattoo on his left hip, sitting low.  

Another tattoo on his right hip - the Roman numerals for 28 done in bones, blown up to about five inches long and two and a half inches wide.  It’s his life expectancy, according to CBK stats.  

The words ‘No remorse’ written in Italian on the underside of his right biceps - the one tattoo he regrets getting.

A cross and wings on his shoulder blade with his mother’s name, date of birth and date of death. Beneath the numbers is the phrase ‘Death is only the beginning’ written in Italian.

A tattoo of a magnolia flower on the underside of his left biceps - it was his mother’s favourite flower and one of the few things Justice remembers from his childhood.  She always had a single flower sitting in a glass on the table.

Piercings:  None - Justice has seen way too many people have their piercings ripped from their bodies during fights to ever consider getting one.

Scars:

His left forearm is covered in scars from dozens of fights where he’s had to deflect someone’s blade.

A scar under his right pectoral from a serrated blade that he was too slow to avoid.  That’s what he gets for not paying attention to his enemies.

A scar snaking around his right hip, through his tattoo.  Again from a knife wound, only this one was unavoidable.  He was fighting two guys at once, and it was either block the knife coming straight for his heart, or block the one aimed at his side.  Easy decision.  Both men attacking him gained first hand knowledge of what it felt like to be stabbed with their own knives by the end of it all, though.

Scarred hands from fighting.

General appearance:  

5’11.  Well muscled, broad shouldered.  Eyes one shade lighter than black.  Short, Inky black hair that he keeps pushed back from his face.  Pale, flawless skin, high cheekbones, full lips.  And a natural expression that has a cruel edge to it - even in sleep, Justice Montoya looks a little… evil.  Has perfected the death stare - grown men have been known to fidget with unease at that stare.

He doesn’t smile often, and when he does it’s reserved.  

Occupation:  

Full time babysitter (Enforcer) of the CBK men and women working under him.  With a large number of people depending on him to keep them alive and safe, he barely has time to catch a good night’s sleep, let alone keep an actual job.  Although he is extremely intelligent and even more street smart, he never graduated high school, and has never held legal employment.  Sal often teases that if Justice were faced with a desk job, he’d probably murder the guy sitting next to him within five minutes just to keep things interesting.

He is also pretty computer savvy, and taught Sal the basics of hacking when they were younger before Sal got interested enough to further his own lawbreaking education.  Now it’s Justice who comes to Sal for anything technology related.

Favourite colour:  None - though his entire wardrobe is black, because black is hard to stain.

Favourite food:  None.  Will eat anything.

Hobbies:  

None - unless he counts riling Ioney up - seeing her mad or flustered always seems to amuse him, especially when he is the source of her aggravation.

Also, if sleeping counted, it would be another hobby.  With his job, he’s lucky if he gets four or five hours uninterrupted.

Extremely dislikes:

Repeating himself.

Unknown numbers calling his cell phone.

Being told what to do, no matter who is issuing the orders.

Idiots.

Hearing people call him “Justice” or “Giustizio”  Both versions of his name grate on his nerves.  People learn very fast to call him by his surname.

Bad habits:

Ignoring a question he doesn’t want to answer.

Deciding what’s best for those around him without consulting the person beforehand.  It’s not that he’s wrong -  nine times out of ten he’s right.  It’s more that people like to be kept in the loop when decisions are being made that directly affect them.

Reason he joined the CBK:  

Justice was homeless and stealing to survive.  He picked Callahan Cordero’s pocket, and instead of beating the crap out of him, Callahan offered him a place in the CBK.  With no other life ambitions and seeing no other alternative, Justice accepted.

Age of induction:  11

Brief History:

Justice Montoya was raised by his single mother until she was brutally raped and murdered in front of his eyes when he was eight.  Cynical and jaded even at his young age, Justice took to the streets and survived by stealing and begging.  

When he was eleven, Justice made the mistake of pick pocketing Callahan Cordero, renowned member of the Chicago Blood Kings.  Cordero caught Justice, but instead of punishing him, he threw Justice into the back of his car and took him home.

He offered Justice the chance to become a member himself, and because life on the streets was getting harder, and Justice had no other real goals, he accepted.

Life with Callahan Cordero and the CBK wasn’t some dream fantasy.  Three years of malnutrition meant Justice was weak, and he had to work hard to build his strength. 

He learnt most things the hard way - like fighting.  Cordero would throw Justice into fights with other CBK members, most of whom were twice his size, to test him.  

If he won, he was praised.  If he lost, Cordero beat him until he couldn’t even stand as incentive to try harder the next time.

Although Cordero officially adopted Justice when he was twelve, Justice spent most of his time at one of the CBK owned houses where some of the other young members lived together.  It was there he met Sal, and later Gin and Kalen.

Not long after being picked up by Cordero, Justice went back to school.  It took him a while to catch up with his learning, but he persevered and it paid off.  Unfortunately, during his freshman year and Frederickson High School, Justice got into a fight with one of the senior boys who was picking on a sophomore.  Things escalated quickly, and in a moment of rage, Justice broke the senior boy’s nose and shattered his knee cap.  It wasn’t the first fight Justice had been in while at school - his record was the stuff of legends - but it was the last.  And because most of the staff including the principal were afraid of him, he was unable to attend any other high school in the city.

Instead Justice focused all of his time and effort into the CBK and making something of himself. 

When Justice was sixteen trouble arose in the CBK.  Pedro Ruiz, one of three men who reported directly to Cebrian Lupe, started plotting to replace Lupe at the top.  Ordinarily, Justice wouldn’t have cared; gang politics had never bothered him.  But when shit finally went down between Lupe and Ruiz, Callahan Cordero attempted to intervene.

Justice didn’t necessarily love Cordero - at the time he was certain he didn’t have the capacity to love at all - but he knew he owed the man everything.

So he stepped in and took on Ruiz in Cordero’s place.  Things got bloody very quickly.  Ruiz was the best the CBK had ever seen.  It was a fight Justice was certain he would lose.  He put everything he had into it, was badly injured, and in the end he didn’t actually win it outright.  Both Ruiz and Justice were so injured and exhausted they both gave up, and with Ruiz so incapacitated, it was easy to subdue him.

Justice was given Ruiz’s most prized possession as a reward for his loyalty to Lupe - a silver ring, and after two months of recovery, Justice was promoted to enforcer status, a week after his seventeenth birthday, making him the youngest enforcer the Blood Kings had ever seen.

Justice met Kalen when he was fifteen, and because the two were so similar, they became fast friends despite Justice’s reluctance to form lasting relationships with people.  Kalen was the one person Justice confided in (well, more than he confided in anyone else which was saying something), and the one person he trusted to have at his back.

He didn’t meet any of Kalen’s family until he was sixteen, and when he did, he was immediately bombarded by Kalen’s younger sister Ioney, who disliked him from the moment she laid eyes on him.  More to rile her up than anything, Justice played along, always thoroughly amused at how angry she got when he antagonised her.

The day Kalen died, Justice cried.  It was the first time he’d cried since his mother died, and he only let his emotions get the better of him when nobody was around.  Kalen’s death broke his heart, and he spent hours sitting in the hallway of his house doing absolutely nothing, just staring at the wall in a stunned stupor.

Girlfriends:

Justice has never had a girlfriend.  

Though, he maintained a casual relationship with one of the CBK girls who worked under him.  Dani and Justice have known each other for years, and started hooking up when Justice was fifteen and Dani was seventeen.  The two were on and off for three years, never official and never exclusive.  Neither liked the other enough to make a proper go of things.  It was more a physical relationship than anything else.

Justice cut things off for good though, once he realised his feelings for Ioney, and has never looked at another girl since.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...