Reaper Kissed

By moonkeeper

Book Four of the Werewolf Keeper Series. In parting, the Grim Reaper gave Lauren an unwelcome gift. A linger... More

1. Fallen Angel
2. A Deal with Death
3. Zombie Ghost
4. The Descent into Hell
5. Led by an Undead
6. Halo of Blood
7. Stalked by Shadow
8. A Storm of Ash
9. Monster Lines
10. Frenemy
11. Solemn Cattle
12. The Cooking Pot
13. The Cherry Coke Ad
14. Young Warlock
15. Smoke over Solemn
16. Oblivion
17. Storms Brewing
18. The Hellhound
19. Reaper Kissed
20. Captive
21. Killers
22. Gorgon Blood
23. Suctioning Souls
24. Divided by Prison Bars
25. Son of the Devil
26. Witch Hunt
27. Hush Little Baby
29. Flares
30. Conquering Fear
31. Wilder Girl
32. Blood of Innocents
33. Reaper King
34. Blissful Sleep
35. Eye of the Storm
36. Blood and Ice
37. The End of a Story
38. Morpheus

28. Entombed

480 44 1
By moonkeeper

Melina came home ahead of her family. The place was quiet as she entered and she called out Evrard's name. He was a young soldier that was staying with her and her family until his next dispatch. They were all agreed that he seemed like a nice guy. She climbed the ladder to the second floor, a sealed lunchbox tucked under her arm for him.

"Mr Müller?" She called again – anxious about accidentally walking in on him changing or something. Popping her head up through the trap door, Melina saw that he wasn't in the smaller room. "Soldier Müller?"

She clambered all the way up and padded over to the larger room. Stepping over the threshold, she peered confusedly down at the mess on the rug. It looked like a pile of clothes slumped over a greenish husk. Her first thought was that the clothes had been draped on a deformed manakin, so she approached closer to pick it up. The clothes were definitely Evrards...

Melina screamed, dropping the lightweight husk in her hands – realising now what it was. She stared at Evrard's stretched and lifeless face, the skin suctioned towards his mouth in rolls. His skin had dried like that of a mummy's but he still had some hair on top of his head. She screamed again, this time dropping the lunchbox. It landed with a thud next to Evrard's skeletal hand.

                 Seo examined the body, his expression grim.

"You were right to come to me about this," he spoke in a low voice to Melina's father. The rest of the family were huddled downstairs, under order not to disturb the general. 

"Good god!" Secretary Bellman exclaimed, peaking at Evard's remains over the general's shoulder. It was not a sight for the feint hearted.

Seo stood erect, still as a statue, his expression inscrutable. Years as a soldier and then Politician had taught him the importance of always appearing calm. But in that moment, that was far from what he really felt. Daniels and Dubiki had lied to him, they'd told that they were dealing with a potential demon threat in the city. But no demons did this. And, now that his suspicions were aroused, Seo realised that no small number of demons could have killed all of the city's witches. He should have demanded to see Romina's body – he'd been far too trusting, an imbecile of a leader...

Demons couldn't suck the life from a person. Seo remained outwardly stoic, but inside he felt himself betrayed. Chaga had warned him that the vampires shouldn't be trusted. Seo had dismissed Chaga's theories over the missing people as wild accusations. The general took a deep breath. What ever monster had done this, it was involved with the vampires – there was no other line of thinking he could follow, not now his naivety had been shaken. Either it was now outside of their control or they were puppeteering it to threaten the city, perhaps even himself. That they were protecting it was without doubt. Why else would they have lied to him. 

Seo turned on his heel, swiftly departing the room with Bellman scampering after him. Daniels and Dubiki had the sanguinem guard – the best army in the resistance. If he was going to deal with them, he needed to divide them from their troops. Seo nodded farewell to the tearful, pale-faced family and stepped out onto the street. He was met with the clashing sounds of the bustling metropolis. Gommorah was a vibrant city with a fierce energy created by its thousands of refugees always flooding in. It was his city, his to protect – his duty to guard and shelter. Now, with a threat from within, he needed to protect as many souls as he could.

                  Lucjan glowered across at the gorgon Liam. As captain he should have been out with the guard, following Jordan's orders to search for Lauren Fox. But instead Lucjan was standing before the rock-faced traitor, tension singing through his veins.

"Where is Roxanne and our child? What have you done to them?" Liam demanded, spit spraying from his mouth.

"Nothing, yet." But Lucjan's tone was laced with cruel promise. "How long they continue to be unharmed depends on you. And how well you answer my questions."

Liam's arms were trembling from being chained above his head for so long. He hung his head, a bead of sweat dripping down his granite nose.

"What do you want to know?" He asked, his voice sounding utterly defeated.

"Chloe Wilder and Ryder, what relationship did they have?"

Liam clanked his chains impatiently. He'd been expecting Lucjan to pry into Ryder's secrets – into his sorcery, his hidden warlocks, his secret negotiations – not his love life.

"She played him," Liam replied gruffly. Lucjan's brow quirked in surprise – not the answer he'd been expecting... "She pretended to be Ryder's lover – the Fox girl. Ryder took Chloe to Venice, to the opera, to ride a frigging gondola – I don't know. I wasn't there."

"Tell me what you do know." Lucjan prompted.

"I heard that the demon queen was beside herself with jealousy. Her agents approached myself and others. She wanted the girl assassinated. None of us accepted, our loyalty was to Ryder and not her. We only fought on their side for Ryder's sake." Liam's expression saddened, "Ryder was reason enough. He's a great man."

Lucjan hissed, directing Liam back on track. "But it marked the beginning," Liam went on. "The demon queen and Ryder's alliance broke down – to the point of barely trusting one another. The girl, Wilder, she persuaded Ryder to leave the demon's cause. I never met her back then. But Ryder spoke of her occasionally. He regretted sending her away, but her face – her resemblance to Lauren... was too much for him."

Lucjan frowned. Why did Chloe look so much like Lauren? They weren't twins or else Jordan would have wanted to save Chloe too. But how could such a look alike be possible otherwise?

"How did Chloe get involved with Ryder?"

"He bought her at an auction."

Yes, Lucjan had noted the branding on Chloe's wrist when he'd first ever met her. She had his 'R' insignia. 

"Let me see Roxanne." Liam pleaded, his desperate gaze beseeching. Lucjan was unmoved.

"Tell me something more," he demanded coldly. Liam's nostrils flared and he exhaled a deep breath.

"When she saw Ryder at Solemn, they embraced." Liam gabbled quickly. "Everyone saw it, you can ask any witnesses. She practically launched herself at him and he was very happy to see her again – and this time he knew that she wasn't Lauren."

Lucjan's hand clenched into a fist. He now had no doubts. Ryder and Chloe must have been lovers. Jealosy seethed in his stomach like a pitful of snakes.

"The little boy, is he-?"

Lucjan's question was cut off by Frederick swooping into the cell.

"Captain, you've got to see this." 

The two vampires sped out, heading for the surface and Liam was left facing empty air.

"What about Roxanne?!" He roared. "You have to let me see her!" His chains clanked as he fought against them but to no avail. 

Lucjan's head was in a riot. He'd never felt like this before – so rattled that he felt like he might go crazy. He lowered his visor just as they broke out into daylight. Lucjan's quick gaze flashed over the landscape.

"Damn you, Seo," he growled. All over the city, the quarantines were slamming down. Lucjan watched as the Storm gate was lowered, creaking as the sheer weight of the monstrosity slotted into place. The ground trembled as all eight gates slammed downs – the cogs in the Storm gate grinding so loud that they were like rumbling thunder.

People filed out into the streets, huddling together in anxious groupings to question what was going on.

"We're sealed in. All the districts of the city are quarantined off from one another. I thought this was only protocol if we were under siege or for an outbreak of plague?"

"It's a training exercise, go to the radio station and get your voice heard over the tannoy's - reassure everyone of unit Gemini that this is purely a training exercise." Lucjan's first thought was that they needed to prevent a panic. Frederick nodded, saluting before racing off.

Seo must have called the quarantine, Lucjan had immediately realised. No one else had the authority. The general had gone back on his decision to give them 10 hours. Lucjan played with his radio, but no orders were being given from the general's quarters. Lucjan cursed. Loosing Seo's support and trust could be a massive problem and it was all the fault of Jordan's psycho cousin...

Another, more immediate, problem was occurring to him. In one of these quarantines was Lauren, sealed in with some poor sods. It could end up being a massacre. Lucjan could only pray that she hadn't been hiding in this unit. Anish, of the Sanguinem Guard, approached Lucjan.

"Salute."

"Yeah - yeah, are any of the other captains in this quarantine?" Lucjan asked.

"I don't think so, sir. Captain Grey was on the outskirts in temporary accom, Captain Daniels last reported in Aries and Captain Shuzo in Taurus."

Lucjan nodded. He'd been anticipating an answer of that kind.

"I want order maintained in the quarantine."

"Yes sir."

"I want to know exactly how many people we have - names, occupations and ages and I want to know how many vampires."

"Yes, sir. Salute."

Lucjan had decided on his first task. He needed to meet with the unit leader of Gemini, a crusty character but the tough nut would be useful in a crisis. He'd need the man's help and advice. A tight curfew would have to be implemented, and a restriction of any lone activities – it would be safer if people kept in groups. They'd need a strategy – for if Lauren was with them. Lucjan ran his fingers through his hair. He hoped there was a good number of vampires, to deal with the threat, but too many could equally become an issue. He rubbed his forehead. A blood shortage could create a completely different crisis...

             Chloe stood before the window watching the sun set, a sleeping Mabel in her arms. The door opened behind her and Chloe turned at the sound.

"What's going on? Why have the gates shut?" She asked Margaux, Lucjan's housekeeper.

"A training exercise," Margaux mumbled in reply, brushing Chloe aside and pulling the drapes shut. "You shouldn't stand in the window. It's better that you're not seen."

"Sorry," Chloe apologised, retreating deeper into the room. "What's that?" She asked, nodding at the device in Margaux's hand. Margaux showed her and Chloe's lips compressed in a stern line.

"Captain Dubiki wants your blood donation," the housekeeper explained. Chloe nodded, yeah - she bet he did. But she was in no position to kick up a fuss.

Chloe set down the baby on the bed before rolling up the sleeve of her ill-fitting scrubs. She sat down, looking at the far wall as Margaux leant over her – readying the needle.

"What kind of man is Lucjan?" Chloe asked, "I can't figure him out."

Margaux glanced across at the door, behind which she knew that Lucjan was lurking – listening to every word.

"He's a hero," she replied carefully.

"Is he kind?" Chloe prompted. "He's helped me, he's taken in Mabel -that must mean that he's a good guy, right?" She spoke uncertainly. Behind Chloe's back, Margaux's eyes were full of warning. DO NOT TRUST HIM. But Margaux was under strict orders and there was a question in turn that she'd been instructed to ask. 

"You seem found of the child," she observed.

"Hmm," Chloe made a sound of agreement, her gaze resting on the sleeping infant and immediately softening.

"Do you have-" But Chloe also asked, "Do you know-" and their half sentences clashed.

"Oh sorry." They smiled politely at one another.

"You first," Margaux offered. She'd been about to ask if Chloe had any children of her own, a question Lucjan was very interested to hear the answer to.

 Chloe's blood was now flowing nicely through the tubing and into the blood bag.

"I was going to ask, err... there was a little boy with us from Solemn. Do you know if he's been adopted?"

Margaux shook her head.

"Sorry I don't. I could try to find out – once the quarantine lifts." She offered and Chloe thanked her.

Outside in the hall, Lucjan clenched his hands into fists. Disturbed by jealousy, he now felt no doubt in his suspicions. Chloe had been Ryder's lover and was the mother of his child. Lucjan's fangs extended. Now he'd realised his feelings for Chloe, he had no intention of sharing her. He'd make her see only him, his image blotting out the rest. He hissed furiously. 

 Ryder was already a rodent caught in the trap. It was time - that the trap slammed shut. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 5.4K 37
Book Two of the Werewolf Keeper Series. When Lauren attempts to seduce the man who holds her Alpha-mate hostage, she little realises the monster she...
351K 6.6K 18
Summer Robertson has just moved to Forks, Washington, and isn't expecting much. When her life is flipped upside down and she becomes friends with wer...
64.8K 4.1K 53
DEATHLESS WILL BE FREE FROM 11TH APRIL! When Jackson, an immortal reaper falls for the lost and haunted Millie, he will break the oldest of rules to...
16.3K 1K 35
Matt just wanted to be left alone. He hated everyone and everything and his life consisted of the same routine every single day. He liked it that way...