The Arrangement

By PunkRockPenguin

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? What happens when you wake up in Vegas married? Well, you try... More

The Arrangement
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author Note
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue

Chapter 10

193K 5.7K 753
By PunkRockPenguin

Hello all! Where have I been? I have been working on my small business and school just finished up for the summer.

In the mean time, here is some Mikaela and Trent nonsense :) Enjoy!

I'm a 90's kid so how about a blast from the past!!!! Enjoy the music

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 10

To my surprise, Trent wasn't that hard to talk to. He actually listened to my answers too.

"I have a question now."

"Shoot." Trent smiled as he took a sip of his beer.

"What are you getting out of all of this?"

"What do you mean?"

"Just that. I mean, here you are, out of the blue funneling god knows how much money into something you know nothing about."

"It benefits me to make you happy."

"That makes no sense."

"Mikaela, you are stuck with me for at least a year. Would that not be more pleasant if you were at least mildly appeased?"

"That's another thing, we need to define what exactly this year is going to be."

"Meaning?"

"A contract."

"A written contract is dangerous. I'd rather it not be on paper."

"If you are a man of your word, I can respect that. If you don't keep your word I could always go to the tabloids."

"True."

"So then, you need to tell me exactly what you expect this to be."

"What do you expect it to be?"

"Hey! You're that girl!" a woman in her late thirties shrieked. I looked over to her. She was plump with wildly curly hair. "And you're Trent Ralston! I can't believe it, you're here like normal people." This created a buzz in the restaurant.

I wanted to sink under the table and die. The whole restaurant was staring at us.

"I think it's time we go." Trent threw a bill on the table, grabbed my hand and pulled me with him. After we were away from everyone I sat down and held my side. I'd moved way too fast and it was aching. "Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine," I grumbled out. I closed my eyes to try to focus on ignoring the pain. Broken ribs suck.

"No, you aren't." Trent sighed. I looked up at him. I didn't understand the look on his face. "I think you need to get checked out. I'm worried about you."

"I will when we get back to Atlanta." I grimaced.

Trent raised an eyebrow. "If nothing else, it will give you something for the pain."

He had a point, but . . . "Honestly, I really don't like pain meds. They make me loopy."

"Would you rather be in pain?"

"Trent, you can't bully me into going."

"I'm not trying to bully you." Trent growled through clenched teeth. "I am trying to help you. I am trying to take care of you."

I sighed then winced. Even that hurt. Maybe he did have a point.

"Mikaela, you okay?"

I looked up to see Jason with a sassy looking petite woman with long black hair slung across his arm.

"Fine," I growled.

"You are not." Trent warned. "She's going to the doctor."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are,"

"No, I'm not."

"He's right." Jason chimed in.

"No one asked you." I snipped.

"Ah, luckily for you, I have my own two cents for everything. You don't even have to ask. And on top of this, he's right and you're wrong. We're stuck here anyway, go get checked out or I will get the rest of the team to gang up on you and we'll drag you either way."

"Since when am I everyone's business!" I snapped, then winced and groaned. The louder and longer I spoke the more it hurt.

"And I rest my case." Trent gestured. "If you won't go willingly, I'll just pick you up and carry you."

He was actually threatening me! I narrowed my eyes. I almost said 'you wouldn't dare' but I knew very well that he did dare and he was completely serious.

"Fine." I hissed. Trent offered me a hand and I grudgingly took it. He gingerly pulled me to my feet.

"I'm glad you actually complied without me having to sling you over my shoulder." Trent joked. I was not amused.

"Let me know if you need and help reigning her in," Jason teased as he and his brunette slunk off together.

I really hated him right now. I made a mental note to get him back for this when we got back to Atlanta. Despite my stubbornness I had to admit I was hurt. I did need to go see a doctor. Here's the deal. I don't like doctors. Why? It's not that I'm scared of needles or anything, it's that a doctor should have a scientific mind. But they don't. Good scientists are not trying to prove hypothesis correct, they should in fact be trying to prove their theories incorrect. Most doctors don't listen to me. This makes me angry. When I'm angry, I don't think 100% rationally and sometimes it ends in conflict. I hate confrontation. Thus I've learned to dislike doctors.

Trent was kind enough to escort me to the emergency room and wait with me once I was taken back to one of the make shift rooms. I kicked him out so I could change, but other than that, he didn't leave my side. Two hours later, we were still waiting.

"Oh my god! When is the doctor going to get here already," I groaned.

"Soon I'm sure," Trent assured me for the umpteenth time.

"Well, since we're stuck here. I have a question for you."

"What's that?"

"What I asked you at the restaurant. I never got an answer."

"Which question."

"Whatever this is. What is it?"

"I did give you an answer. I asked you what you wanted it to be."

"Trent, that doesn't help me. I don't have relationships and don't know the first thing about them."

"It's not that complicated."

"Yes. Yes, it is."

"What makes you think that?"

"Look, Trent . . . it's just . . . people and I . . . well we just . . . I just . . . I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't work with people."

Trent cocked his head to the side. It felt like he was sizing me up. It made me uncomfortable.

"Stop that."

"What?"

"Looking at me like that."

"Why?"

"I don't like it."

"Why not?"

"I just don't."

Trent let out a throaty chuckle. "You're used to getting your way, aren't you?"

"What?"

A smirk was plastered on his face. "You are. You're like a little kid who's used to getting their way. Then when they don't, they pout."

"Am not!"

"Thank you for proving my point."

"Fine. Whatever. Dodge my question. I'm through talking to you then."

The back of Trent's fingers grazed my cheek. "Look at me." I glared at him. "We can take this as slow or fast as you want. I don't want to push you. That's why I asked what you want this to be."

"I want this to be over." I murmured, barely a whisper.

Trent crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair with a sigh. "Mikaela, I am trying here. I need you to try a little."

That was when the doctor chose to appear. "Hello Miss Nero,"

"Mrs. Ralston," Trent corrected.

The doctor looked at the chart. "Is this Mikaela?"

"We're newly weds," Trent smiled. "Did she accidentally write her maiden name again? She hasn't quite gotten used to it yet."

I glared daggers at him. Oh boy, if looks could kill. "Ah congratulations. Now, Mrs. Ralston, what happened?"

"I suspect I have at least three broken ribs and I'll need something for infection. I know there's nothing to do for broken ribs except to let them heal, I'm not worried. I do want to be sure not to get an infection though."

"How did this happen?"

"I'm a marine biologist. I was in the field doing research."

"And?"

"And?"

"How exactly did this happen?"

"I study sharks. I had a close encounter."

"So this was a shark attack?"

"No." I fell out of the cage onto the deck. I felt my temper rising so I lifted my gown to reveal my side. "This is just what happens when sharks rub up against you. It's more or less like road rash."

The doctor gave me a look then looked at Trent and he nodded to him. Then indicated the hallway with his head. "We'll be right back,"

"Oh no you don't!" I snapped. "If you are going to speak about me, then you are going to speak to me. Don't go and hide in the hallway and try to discuss this with anyone else."

"If you'll excuse me," the doctor offered in a cold, smooth tone. He left the room. Trent sighed and got up.

"Let me just see what he has to say." He offered with an apologetic look.

Yeah. I hated doctors.

After a few minutes Trent saddled back in. "You're about to go for X-rays."

"Great."

"And you have a new doctor."

"What?"

"You have a new doctor."

"How?"

"I didn't like the way he was treating you. I informed him that he was no longer needed and another doctor would be taking his place."

"Uh-huh,"

Trent shrugged.

"And he just went to go and fetch another?"

"He didn't have a choice."

"Uh-huh . . . you threw a bunch of money at him, didn't you?"

"No, actually. I just happen to have friends in high places."

I was going to argue more when a nurse popped in. She wheeled me out on my bed before I could protest. They took x-rays and returned me to my room. When I got back, Trent wasn't there. I should have been relieved, but somehow I wasn't. What was this feeling? Disappointment? Weird. The nurse began to address the wound on my side. I bit my lip when the sting started. I lay as still as I could and tried not to flinch and willed my body to stop shaking.

Trent returned and I saw his face color slightly. He walked over to his seat and I realized he had two cups of coffee. He placed the coffee on the tray table and he took one of my hands in both of his and he laid a gentle kiss on my knuckles. I just watched him and his reactions. It gave me a distraction from the nurse at least. She was now dressing the wound so it no longer hurt, but still I stared at Trent. He realized I was watching him and smiled. I don't know when she left but suddenly I was aware that we were alone.

"Better?" he offered after a long moment.

"Well enough," I replied.

"I brought you some coffee."

I nodded. Trent's eyes never left mine as he laid another gentle kiss on my knuckles. Why did my cheeks suddenly feel so hot? Trent gave me a soft smile and took of one of his hands and propped his head up, with his elbow resting on the bed.

"Feeling alright?"

I nodded. "Alright,"

At this point the new doctor knocked and I about jumped out of my skin and the sudden movement hurt. I winced and groaned as I clutched at my side.

The new doctor had a very different demeanor than the last one. "Mrs. Ralston? How are you feeling?"

"Been better," I groaned.

"Ah, on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst pain you've ever felt in your life, where would you rank your pain?"

"Probably a six," I offered.

"Would you like something for the pain?"

I shook my head. "I don't want anything to make me loopy," I let out through gritted teeth.

"I see. Well, we could give you a muscle relaxer. I think that would help. It doesn't have the same effects as most pain killers would."

"Mikaela, why don't you just think about it?" Trent offered softly from my side. "Let's have the prescription." I was about to protest when he cut me off. "We'll take the prescription and if you don't like it, you stop taking it. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around, don't you think?"

"Fine." I huffed.

Not too long after that Trent and I were in a suite at the nearest Ralston. Trent had made sure everyone had their own rooms. You know, except us.

"Are you hungry?" Trent mused as he looked over the menu.

"Yes."

"What sounds good to you?"

"Italian or Chinese."

"Hmm . . . I like the sound of Italian."

"Duh, it's always good."

"Alright, I'll order us something. How are you feeling?"

"Fine. I just really want a shower at this point."

"I'd be happy to help you with that." Trent offered with a wink.

"Yeah, no. I'm sure I'll manage."

Trent shrugged. "Alright. At least let me draw you up a bath."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine."

Trent disappeared into the bathroom and then before I could protest, he picked me up and carried me in. "I'll go order us some food. I'll let you know when it's here." Trent kissed my cheek and then closed the door behind himself as he left. Involuntarily, my hand went up to my cheek. What had just happened. I looked around. The bath had some scented oils and smelt wonderful. I noticed a few candles had been lit and I dipped my hand in the water. I felt like the other foot had to drop soon. I quickly disrobed and let myself sink into the bath. The water felt amazing. I must have lost track of time because the next think I knew there was a knock on the door.

Trent slowly opened the door and peeked in. "Food's here,"

"Already?"

Trent let out a throaty chuckle. "It's been an hour, dear."

"Really? Oh . . . and I'm not your dear." I quickly corrected.

"Whatever you say. Either way, how are you feeling?"

I nodded. "A little better."

"Good. Do you need any help getting out?"

"I think I've got it."

"That's a shame." Trent smirked and strode in.

"What are you doing?"

"Me?" Trent asked innocently. "Bringing you a towel of course. It wouldn't do for my wife to slip on the wet floor, would it?" He brought a towel over within an arm's reach of me. "Call me if you need anything." With that he left again.

I shook my head and pulled myself out. It hurt my ribs, but I ignored it. I wrapped a towel around myself and went for the robe. After I cinched the belt around my waist I peeked out of the room. Trent was lounging on the bed with his hands clasped over his stomach and his legs crossed at the ankle as he was watching something on tv.

I walked out and gingerly sat on the couch. Trent smiled at me and turned the television off. He stretched and brought over a bag that smelt heavenly. "What did you order?"

"Chicken parmigiana, chicken alfredo, and ravioli and for dessert cheesecake and zeppoli. I wasn't sure what you liked, so I figured one of those had to be okay."

Trent looked almost sheepish. Well, that was new. For one of the first times since I met him, he didn't look like he knew everything.

"It's wonderful." I felt myself smiling and this time, I didn't fight it.

Trent slid onto the couch beside me and started pulling everything out.

There was a full on feast in front of me.

Trent fixed me a plate and poured a glass of wine for each of us. I wrinkled my nose. I shook my head. "Trent, I don't drink,"

"I know." He smiled. "It's non-alcoholic. I want to do my best by you."

I eyed him suspiciously, but took a sip. "I'm trusting you, Mr. Ralston. Don't make me regret it."

"Wouldn't dream of it, Mrs. Ralston." My smile disappeared in an instant.

"Not winning brownie points."

"Not even by this?" he indicated the dinner.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, since you brought it up, I would like to figure out exactly what this year is all about."

"Alright."

We started eating and negotiating.

"What do you want this to be?" Trent offered.

I shook my head. "I don't understand."

Trent sighed and leaned into me. "I'm asking what you want out of this."

I shuddered as I felt his breath on my collar bone. I felt my cheeks flush and hated that my heart was racing. I shook my head to clear it. "Well, I want my work of course."

Trent nodded. "Okay. I've already given you my word on that. You have funding. Do you think I deserve a condition for that?"

It did seem fair. Depending . . . "What is your condition?"

"Give this a shot."

"What?"

"Give this an actual shot."

"I don't get it."

"I mean, you give me a chance. Give this, whatever this is between us, an actual chance."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dum dum dummm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think? As always, please vote and comment and I will try to have an update soon. Thank you lovlies <3 know that I love and appreciate each and every one of you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 402 32
NEW 18 + Novella He thought he was just hooking up ... With someone random .... She thought it was fate .... Benjamin 'Ben' Hammonds gets dumped by...
1.3K 151 31
Porsche Kittisawat is a young man who is living in a poor family.. Porsche's father really loves gambling and always like to go to the club for gambl...
2.4K 149 18
Arina a 24 year old has always wanted to live a freely but being in a abusive mafia family has not made this happen . One day Arina's father announce...
4.9K 127 5
What happens when Kylo Ren is forced to leave his lover and get married to a woman he doesn't even know? A different take on the Arranged Marriage st...