What I like about you

By HM_author

Danielle Martin isn't a typical girl in high school. She doesn't wear tight clothes or pounds of makeup, she... More

2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39

1

41.9K 624 382
By HM_author

The wind softly blows, the strands of the hair sticking out of my messy ponytail flailing around. The cold air stinging my cheeks as I continue to walk.
The bright sign of the gas station's convenient store cutting through the thick grey mist of another cold day.

Looking around, I see other people with their friends. Walking and laughing or just sharing the warmth of a car heater.

I sigh, watching the cloud of my breath float into the air. I trudge on, shoving my hands deeper into the pocket of my hoodie.

The sliding doors open as soon as I reach them, sending an immediate wave of warmth to me. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and cleaning supplies fills my nose as I walk to the back fridges.

There's so many drink selections to choose from. I just stand and feign to make a decision, knowing that I will get the same thing as I always get when I come.

A few more seconds pass of me standing and staring at a wall full of beverages. A small new warmth envelopes me as the heavenly smell of vanilla and cinnamon fills my nose. I loudly sigh. A soft chuckle sounds from right beside me and I freeze.

I'm not alone.

I turn my head to look at the person and almost feel my jaw drop to the floor.

Not to sound like a hormonal teenage girl or anything, but saying that he was good looking was a huge understatement.
His tan skin glowed even in the dim light of this cold day. His dark brown wavy hair was messy but in such a good way, falling over his amazing turquoise eyes. A bright smile covering his face as his perfect white teeth are on display, his sharp jawline framing his strong features. A wave of familiarity hits me.

I realize that I'm staring so I quickly avert my eyes, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"Hey." His deep voice makes my head snap back up to look at him.

"Hi." I shyly greet back.

"Having trouble?" He laughs again.

"What?" I ask confused.

"Choosing a drink." He nods his head to the fridge in front of me and I inwardly face palm.

Am I that obvious?

"Oh...uh...yeah."

"I guess I could say I'm in the same predicament." He smiles down at me, a slight dimple carving into his left cheek.

"Welp, I hope it all works out." I stupidly say before opening the fridge door and grabbing a bottled sweet tea.

'Hope it all works out' ? Could you sound even more idiotic?
Gosh, I just need to get out of here!

I quickly send him a shy smile and walk around him, keeping my head down. I walk to the warm foods and grab me something to eat, hearing footsteps bound closer to me.

I turn back around to go to the candy aisle and stop straight in my tracks, frozen. The really cute guy stands in front of me, another smile on his face.

"Sorry if I seem like I'm following you-" I cut him off.

"You figured it out?" I bite my lip from my embarrassment.

Can I ever shut up?!

"Figured it out?" His eyebrows scrunch together in confusion while looking at me.

I nod to the drink in his hand, it being the same I hold in mine.

"Oh! Yeah, this really cute girl recommend it to me." He smiles.

"I didn't recommend it to you. You just grabbed what I did." I cross my arms.

"Who said the cute girl was you?" He lifts an eyebrow, an amused smirk on his face.

"Oh." My face ignites in a deep blush, the heat rising all the way up to my ears.

"But, You're the only cute girl here. So." He looks around before his eyes land back on me.

I try to think of something cute to say or actually anything to say at all. I open and close my mouth like a fish out of water, trying to form the words to come out. But, they don't.

We both stand in silence. Me picking at the loose strand of thread on my hoodie and him carefully staring at me. It wasn't an awkward silence but it wasn't completely comfortable either.

"So..." he drags on, kicking air with his foot as he stares at the ground.
"I've never seem to have gotten your name." His dimple shows again.

"Danielle." I softly smile.
"And yours?"

"Blake...Daniels."

I nod my head, fully knowing who he was now. Keeping myself from saying 'oooh'.

Blake Daniels, the running back for our high school's sucky football team. It made sense. Someone as built and good looking as him is bound to be in a sport like football. Not that stereotypes have anything to do with it, well maybe...

"Are you new?" He asks. I look at him, not surprised by his question at all.

Of course he doesn't know me. I'm not a girl who really screams 'popular'.

He takes in my slightly confused state and continues.

"I mean, I've never seen you around."

"No, I'm not new. I've actually lived here since 7th grade." I awkwardly laugh, watching his expression change into embarrassment.

I really should be the one who's embarrassed here.

"Sorry." He shoves his hands in his jean pockets.
"Are you sure? I'm sure I would've noticed someone as beautiful as you walking the halls." His cheeks redden as he slyly smirks, looking straight into my eyes.

"Maybe you just weren't looking in the right place." I softly smile at his red face, my cheeks gaining a blush of their own.

"Maybe I haven't." His eyes shimmer, sparkling under the ceiling lights.

"Well, Blake. It was really nice meeting you and all..." I lean closer to him, seeing his body stiffen and his jaw slightly clench.

Where did this new confidence come from?

My arm moves around him, careful not to make contact. My body gets closer to his and he starts to lean closer too. I look into his eyes and see a blank expression on his face before my hand connects with what I intended to get.

I smile up at him and retract my arm back, stepping away from him. A pack of gummy worms in my hand as I slyly smirk at his shocked state. Eyeing the candy in my hands. I mentally laugh as I turn and walk to the registers.

The lady at the other end of the counter smiles at me before taking my items and scanning them.

"You're such a tease." Blake's husky voice says in my ear, his hot breath fanning my neck. I can't help the smile that covers my face, chills running down my spine.

"I was just grabbing some candy. No teasing there." I turn my head, meeting his compelling eyes.

I turn back around and pay for my things.

"Bye Blake." I walk around him and to the front doors where I left my backpack.

"Wait." I hear him thank the lady after paying and quickly walk towards me.

I walk outside into the frosty air.

He falls into step beside me, staring at my face.

"You're going to walk?" He asks.

"Yeah, that's how I got here."

"Let me give you a ride." He insists, trying to keep up with me.

"It's fine, it's not that far a walk anyways."

"But it's cold. And I don't want you to walk by yourself."

I stop walking to look at him.
He makes a good point. Do I really want to walk alone in the cold? Or do I want to ride in a warm car with a really hot guy?

I sigh out before nodding my head.

"I guess it couldn't hurt." I shrug.

"Alright." He smiles.

He leads me back to the front of the convenient store to a small black mustang. From the look of it, I could tell that his parents had money. But, I somehow knew that he would never admit it. And I wasn't going to say anything about it.

My eyes roam every inch of his sleek vehicle. My heart racing from how the car's exterior flowed in every direction like smooth water. The ventilator on top of the hood signifying that it had a lot of horse power under the hood. I was basically drooling.

He walks over to the passenger side and opens the door for me. I smile at him before getting in and taking in the new car smell. As soon as he closes the door, he jogs to the drivers side and gets in.

"Nice car." I let my eyes roam around the interior.

"Thanks. It's a V-6." He gloats.
"I mean, if you know what that means." He remarks, smirking.

"A V-6?" He nods.
"That's a shame." I laugh, shaking my head.

He looks at me, confused. So, I laugh some more.

"With a nice Mustang like this, it should be a V-8. Especially since this is a 5.0. So, you shouldn't really gloat if it doesn't push past 120. I mean, even if it's this nice, looks wouldn't matter because of what's under the hood." I shake my head again, freezing after realizing what I just said.

He doesn't say anything. His eyes burn holes into the side of my face as I sit. I look at him and see something flash in his eyes, my cheeks burn for what seems like the thousandth time today.

"Wow..." Is all he says, a blank look on his face.

"What?" I nervously ask.

Now he thinks I'm weird. Gosh dang it! I freaking went all car nerd on him and now he probably doesn't even want me in his car. I'm so stupid!

"Nothing." He shakes his head, turning the keys in the ignition.
The car quietly rumbles to life as the heater kicks on, filling the car with warmth.

"No, what?" I urge, biting my lip to prevent myself from letting out an embarrassed groan.

"I've never had a girl insult my car before." He laughs.
"Actually, I've never even heard those words come out of a girl's mouth before."

"Oh. Sorry." I apologize.

"No, it's alright. It's just...wow." He laughs once more, shaking his head.

"I come from a car family, so that's all they ever talk about." I rush out.

"That's cool. I wish that my family was like that." He pulls out of the parking lot and drives towards the school. I see a wave of sadness pass over his face as he continues to drive.

"What is your family like?" I gain the courage to ask.

"Controlling. Manipulative. Conceited."

We pull into the school parking lot and he parks the car.

"I'm sorry I asked." I grab my bags and open the door, cold air leaking into the car.
"Thank you for the ride." I move to get out before I feel his hand grab my wrist.

"Wait. Where are you going?"

I look at his hand and he follows my eyes. Still, he doesn't let go.

"To go eat my lunch."

"Where?"

"The benches in the front." I point to the iced metal seats at the front of the school.

He looks at me dead in the eye and pulls me inside.

"Why don't you stay and eat in here?" It sounded more like a suggestion than a question.

"I don't want to bother you."

"You wouldn't be bothering me. I don't want to eat alone and I'm sure that you don't either. Consider it paying me back for giving you a ride."

I look at the cold benches and then back at him. His eyes pleading me to stay.

"Fine." I close the door and let the heat close around me.

He still holds my wrist in his hand. His eyes bore into mine as I look at him.

"Umm... Blake?"

"Hmm?" He hums.

"My hand."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Picture of Blake at the top! Or side, if that's how you see the pictures.

A/N: Hey. Sorry for all the confusion from my other books and this one too. I just wanted to start another one but something different. I've done one about spies and then one about gangs so I wanted to try football. I hope you enjoy this book, some of the aspects of the story come from my life. Well, except for the really cute guy part. But, all other things are. The names do not belong to anyone, they are made up. Please do not copyright my book. It means a lot to me and I don't want anyone to steal something that I worked so hard on. Please continue to read and just enjoy! Thank you!!

Read. Vote. Comment.

~ Hayleigh💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.7K 2.1K 51
Getting broken up with was one thing Aliana Haven was used to. Her first years of High School mostly consisted of heartbreaking break-ups. But on top...
18.9K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...
103K 1.4K 26
"You make me weak. You make me mad, you make me crazy." he breathes, staring me in my eyes. "What am I saying.." he chuckles and stares at my twiddli...
412K 15.6K 30
*Disclaimer* This is my first story ever. I'm not sure how it will turn out but I'll do my best! "Why me?" she asked. I looked again into her mesmeri...