Nuka World Wasteland

By lyrah99

The Wasteland is an unforgiving place. Deathclaws, mirelurks, and all sorts of abominations roam the twisted... More

Chapter 1- An Atomic Awakening
Chapter 2- New Settlers, New Suit
Chapter 3- A Fight Against Death
Chapter 4- The Widow
Chapter 5- Violent Clientele
Chapter 6- A New Raider
Chapter 7- Leaving Sanctuary
Chapter 8- Rocky Narrows Park
Chapter 9- A New Path Ahead
Chapter 10- Raider's Rest
Chapter 11- Crows
Chapter 12- Bad Dreams
Chapter 13- Remains

Prologue

91 2 3
By lyrah99

The clouds darkened up above as the sky filled with the sickly green wind of a radstorm. A hooded figure, limping and holding a bottle of beer in their hands stumbled forward through the streets of the fens.

They knew what back alleys to take to avoid the super mutants and raiders. They stumbled into the doors to the Combat Zone and threw the bottle to the side.

The bartender set down his glass and watched as the stranger walked past the common area and into Tommy Lonnegone's private residential area.

"Hey, you can't go there! Do you have a death-wish?" Blaze hopped over the bar counter and tried grabbing the arm of the stranger.

They yanked away from his grasp and pulled down their ragged hood, revealing a gaunt woman with swollen eye sockets, bruised and purple. She smiled, the scars at the corners of her mouth making her permanent smile even wider.

"You're back... Tommy still might kill you."

"I know Blaze. I have nowhere else to go. My situation has changed. Is he here?"

"He should be returning from a negotiation at Bunker Hill. I'm filling in for him."

She looked around at the large, post-war theater. Strings of lights hung from the ceiling and worn red cushioned seats were assembled all over the room, either facing each other or the stage. Bottles and used plates were scattered all over the tables, and debris littered the floor like every building in the Commonwealth. Smoke wafted up towards the ceiling, giving the room a permanent smog.

The people who spent their caps at the Zone all looked the same as well. Each one had the worn, wrinkled faces of weary travelers. Even the better-dressed ones who insisted on wearing the old faded suits tried to act like the dignified, wealthy businessmen they wished to be.

"I see nothing has changed."

"True. We've had one or two more raider customers than usual, but it's nothing to worry about- yet."

She turned to him, and stared, "Raiders? You allow them in?"

"Yeah, that's the one thing Tommy's changed. He says anything will do if it brings in more caps."

"I'm going to wait for him in my room. You tell him I'm here when he gets back."

"Alright, I want to know why you're back too Jayde." He patted her shoulder kindly and returned to the bar, serving the impatient wastelanders their drinks.

Jayde Lonegan walked down the secluded hallway until she reached her old room. Three years of dust coated the already-destroyed furniture. She plopped down into an armchair, coughing at the particles in the air. She sighed and looked across the room into the broken mirror hanging on the wall.

The broken surface reflected her tired, swollen face. Three years took a toll on her looks. Her black hair looked the same, but her eyes were deeper and wrinkles shown through the dust-caked onto her face. She frowned, the smiling scars a permanent reminder of the shitty life she led. It surprised her that Rig fell for someone like her. Maybe he didn't.

She leaned forward looking at the bruises on her face to prove her doubts. Maybe Rig only used her. She didn't know anything anymore, other than that she belonged in the Combat Zone.

The door slammed open and she whisked her head around at the intruder, only to see her brother, Tommy Lonegan, breathing heavily as he stared at her.

"I heard you were back," he glared at her, his hazy blood-shot eyes running her over.

She could almost feel his gaze on each of her bruises and brushing along her scars.

"I'm surprised you aren't rotting somewhere in the fens."

"Would you rather that I did?"

The room fell silent as they battled each other in their minds, until finally, Tommy sat down next to her, folding his arms.

"You know that I care for you," He told her, in a raspy monotone voice.

"Oh please, I can always tell what you're thinking."

"Well, how did you think I would react when I find out my younger sister ran away to become a raider, one of the vilest creatures in this world."

"One of the vilest things? Have you looked in a mirror lately?"

"That's uncalled for!" He stood up enraged, "You're not the best looking right now either! At least my looks have benefits," he glances quickly at the mirror, running a finger down the scars caused by his ghoulification.

"So," He looked away from the mirror and ran his fingers through the little hair he had left, "why did you come back?"

She let out a shaky breath and rested her hands in her lap.

"I met a guy-"

"A raider?"

"Let me finish the story!"

"Ok," he shrugged defeatedly and sat down again.

"I met a raider," she glared at him then returned to look into the mirror, "in the second year I was gone. I had joined this one group working near this abandoned apartment building complex in Lexington. It was a good set up. We would attack caravans from above and then relocate to always have the upper hand on trade routes. He was a raider who would give us our information straight from Bunker Hill. He'd sometimes come down and take his share of the spoils.

"It wasn't that long until we noticed each other. Raiders don't like talking about personal shit. But he was different. Maybe it's because he worked out of Bunker Hill. His name was Rig.

"He promised that... that he would.... He'd take me away into a settlement and set up shop there. He found out I was the main weapon keeper in the group really. He said he'd take me away.

"But I didn't want to leave at first. I had left the Zone to explore the 'wealth in the first place- to live and see all the ruins. It took a while before I soon became bored with our set-up. That's when I decided to run. My gang followed me all the way to Boston. I may have stolen all their ammo," she chuckled and rubbed her sore eye.

"I couldn't find Rig. He was supposed to be at the Old Corner bookstore, waiting for me. But he wasn't there and I couldn't think of anywhere else to go. Please, can I stay here for a while? Just until my old gang passes through and gives up?"

She grabbed his scarred hands and pleaded with her eyes.

"Alright. Just until everything cools down. I still don't know if I want to forgive you for leaving this place to me. But I made some improvements, so no caps were lost when you left."

"Yeah, I heard. So you're letting in Raiders now?"

"Who told you?"

"Blaze."

"Of course. Yes, I am. They surprisingly have good caps. They'll pay anything to drink beer and watch a fight."

"Well, if that's everything-" he stood up and stretched his back and glanced back at her, eager to go back to running the Zone.

"Not exactly... you see..."

"What?"

"I came back for another reason as well, Tommy."

"What is it?"

She laid her hand on her stomach and smiled sheepishly.

"I'm pregnant."

After three long days passed, a Doctor from Goodneighbor entered the Combat Zone, shaking off the rainwater from his shoulders and shook out his hair.

He had been hired by the famed Tommy Lonegan, owner of the Combat Zone, to examine his younger sister, recently returned from raiding. He had traveled from Goodneighbor as soon as he received his most recent supply shipment.

Traveling to and from Goodneighbor was always a risky business. Mutant patrols didn't have systematic schedules they followed. In one day, an unfortunate traveler could encounter hostile robots, mutant dogs, raiders, or nothing at all. Luckily his travels were more similar to the latter. He hated to admit it, but fighting was not one of his strong suits. Maybe it was why he focused on helping others heal after their own battles, while not being involved with them himself.

He glanced over at the Cage area in the center stage of the Combat Zone, grimacing in disgust. The floors and main area was disgusting, rotting dandy boy apples sitting on tables while crowds of wastelanders shouted from behind the metal wire, loudly praying to the competitors to win. They wanted their caps back and more.

How could anyone subject themselves to such violence?

He shook his head and approached the bar, tired of standing around and ready to meet his new client.

"You must be the Doctor Lonegan is bringing in, right?"

Doctor Lowe smiled and held his duffle bag in his lap.

"How could you tell?"

"Well, you haven't ordered anything yet, and you look a little cleaner than most folk who come up here for a drink."

"Oh," his smile faltered and looked back at the rowdy crowd.

"Plus you're wearing that white doctor's coat," Blaze chuckled and wiped a glass cleaner for him.

"Here, a purified water, on the house," he winked and walked away, leaving the good doctor flustered.

He hated to admit that he didn't like alcohol that much. He chugged the water down, slammed it on the bar and walked towards what he guessed led to Lonegan's office, saluting Blaze on his way.

A mercenary stepped in front of him, his face scarred from countless past battles.

"Right this way Doc," the black man led Doctor Lowe into the next room, where Tommy Lonegan sat at his desk, typing on a faulty typewriter.

"Ah, you're finally here. I was wondering if you were going to show up at all Doctor." Tommy stood from his desk and walked up the Lowe, staring him down. "I would think you would have taken less time traveling here, arriving a day after I left perhaps. I hope you don't continue to lack in precision when you're taking care of my sister."

"Of course not Mr. Lonegan. You know I have to have monthly supplies delivered," he assured, "Your sister is of utmost importance."

"She better be," Tommy started walking away and waved at the Doctor to follow.

They both walked down into the basement, a secluded room from the rest of the Combat Zone, safe from any flying beer bottles or the smoke in the common area.

Jayde Lonegan stood at a weapon workbench, tinkering away at one of her custom pipe-pistols.

"This is my sister, Jayde Lonegan," Tommy held his hand out, pointing at her.

She continued to focus on her project but half-heartedly lifted her hand in greeting.

"Jayde, this is the Doctor to help you with your delivery. You could show a little gratefulness."

"Sorry Tommy," she laughed lightly and turned around, wiping grease onto her forehead as she pulled stray hairs back out of her eyes.

Lowe's heart choked up and he stood there, watching this woman. Her stomach was small still, but obviously a pregnancy bump. Even with grease on her face and scars at the corners of her mouth, her eyes still pierced into his brain. Something about her face could not let him look away.

"Doctor...?"

He cleared his throat, "L-lowe. My name. And yours?"

She rolled her eyes, "Jayde? Were you listening to my brother a second ago?"

"Sorry."

"I would think a doctor had more focus than you."

"I'm- I'm sorry. I'm a little weary from my travels and to be frank, it's not a common sight to see a pregnant woman in the Commonwealth."

She held her stomach warily, Rig's face flashing through her mind.

"I'll leave the two of you alone then." Tommy waved at Jayde and walked back up the stairs, closing it behind them. The Merc stood outside the door as Lonegan walked away.

"So, why did my brother hire you again?" She turned back to her gun and Lowe walked over to watch her work.

"Well, I've dedicated myself to learn everything I can about pre-war and post-war medicine. I travel around mainly settlement to settlement, sometimes staying there for a certain amount of time depending on how much I'm needed. Tommy found me in Goodneighbor."

"I heard."

She screwed something into the pistol and tweaked a piece of metal with a wrench.

"Anyways," he drew another breath and continued, realizing she wasn't open to talking, "he wanted someone to make routine check-ups on you throughout your terms-"

"Terms?"

"It means your stages of pregnancy. Anyways, I'm supposed to make sure everything seems ok, and then once you get closer to delivery, I'll stay and make sure everything works out as it should."

"Interesting..." she mumbled as she emptied and reloaded bullets into the pistol, testing the mechanism.

Lowe watched in vain as she looked over her creation. She wasn't paying attention to him at all. Did she even want his help?

"If I may ask-" he grabbed his pockets at his waist and fiddled with the cloth, "- Who is the father?"

She paused and pointed the gun at him. She pulled the trigger and the blast roared in his ears, the sharp wind of the bullet passing his face, freezing him in that spot.

The guard outside poked his head inside the room.

"Everything alright Miss Lonegan?"

"Yes, everything is fine. I got my pistol to finally work." she smiled at him.

The merc chuckled and closed the door after seeing the petrified doctor.

"You may leave now. You can do my first check up later after you've gotten a drink to settle your nerves... you look a little on edge," she smirked and walked away into the next room.

Doctor Lowe returned to the bar and ordered a glass of Whiskey. He could feel her watching him- he turned around and saw her conversing with her brother. Tommy looked at him and laughed as Jayde spoke to him, most likely about the doctor.

Lowe swiftly turned back to his drink and slouched, his face reddening from both the alcohol and embarrassment.

___________

Doctor Lowe came into the Combat Zone every month, trying to help Jayde prepare her for the difficulties of giving birth in the Commonwealth. To be honest, he'd only helped bring children into the world three times- and one of the infants didn't make it. From what he's heard from his travels, it was quite common for either the child or the mother to die during childbirth. The Wasteland had no mercy no matter how old its victim was.

Radiation stunted growth in young children. Some women never made it to their delivery date- starvation and mutant attacks were far too common when they lived in a secluded settlement.

Doctor Lowe worried about Jayde's child. He didn't know how her drinking would affect it, or if the Combat Zone was the safest place to raise a child. The threat of a raider attack grew every day and the fens outside were constantly immersed in danger and war between raiders, traders, and mutants.

As the months passed by, Doctor Lowe started to visit Jayde more than just her scheduled visits. He entered the Combat Zone after a long day, just as the sun began to set.

"What do you have for me today Doctor?" She laid on the worn couch in the basement of the Zone, a partly-ripped Grognak magazine in her hands.

"I went by the old Boston Library a while ago and picked some books for you."

"Yay, more books to bore me out of my mind," she sighed and rested the comic down and rested her head against the armrest.

"I know it's hard not going anywhere, but you should consider yourself lucky. Most pregnant women have to live out there in the wasteland and farm and fight off mutants instead of living in comfort under the Combat Zone."

"Comfort? This is torture."

"It's the safest option if you want to have this child in safety."

"I used to be a raider, damn it. I would shoot up mutants and kill caravan guards just to live. I'm going to go out of mind waiting here. Tommy doesn't even want me to hang out at the bar."

"You can't drink-"

"I know! I just want to hang out in the Zone like I used to."

The doctor laid the books down in front of her and sat near her feet.

"What if someone from your old gang comes in and finds you? You want to have this baby right?"

"Yes."

He stared at her, trying to choose the right words before he spoke. Even if she was pregnant, she could still hurt him.

"Why?"

"Why? Why what?"

"Why do you want this child Jayde?"

She glared at him and sat up quickly, causing him to flinch.

"I-" her gaze softened into defeat and her posture slumped as her lack of energy took hold of her, "I'm not really sure. I barely remember my parents. They died years ago before I joined my gang. Having this kid, well, maybe it will make everything ok again. It would mean me and Rig meant something."

They sat in silence, watching the oil lamp flicker.

"But that's just a lie I tell myself," she sighed.

He moved closer to her and warily wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"That's one thing I don't understand," He whispered, watching her eyelids drop lower as the night grew late.

"What Lowe?"

"Why he would leave someone like you."

She side glanced at him, and the corners of her mouth slowly formed a smile.

"You always know the right thing to say, don't you Lowe."

She rested her head into his shoulder and they stayed there, isolated from the rest of the commonwealth. A mutant could break through the walls above them and they wouldn't want to move from the others comfortable embrace.

---------------------------------------------------

Jayde Lonegan felt contractions. She sat up from the couch, resting her book down from her lap. She grimaced as the pain surged, then faded away. She hobbled up from her seat, her large belly making her imbalanced. She slowly made her way to the door, but stopped, leaning against the wall as she felt a few more warnings that the child was on their way.

She opened the door and peered out.

"Tommy? Lowe?"

"Miss Lonegan?" A mercenary guard looked in from the other side of the hallway leading to the stairs. "Do you need anything?"

"Tell Tommy- ugh- tell him it's started..."

The guard's eyes went wide and he took off up the flight of stairs, and she went to the elevated bed Lowe and Tommy had assembled.

She laid down, counting between the contractions, remembering Doctor Lowe's lecture about what was going to happen to her. The pain continued to grow with each new wave and she gripped the iron bar near the side of the bed, her skin growing hot from the stress.

"Jayde, are you alright?" Tommy stepped in the room and walked over, wearing an undershirt and jeans.

"I can't remember ever seeing you not in a suite Tommy."

"I didn't want it to get messy in case I had to help..."

Jayde glanced at the closed door.

"Where's Lowe? Is he not here?"

"I couldn't find him. He hasn't arrived yet. You are a little early."

"I know, but- I need him, Tommy, I don't think I can do this- ah-" She grit her teeth and inhaled sharply, "- I can't do this without him."

Tommy, for the first time in his life, was at a loss. He was always the one in charge. He ran the zone. He hired caravan workers and threw out violent drunkards. But this was different. He had no control. His sister was in pain and he didn't know how to help her.

"Yes you can Jayde," he tried to tell her with confidence, but even he didn't know if it was true.

Jayde started screaming and Tommy looked down- which was a big mistake. He turned around, still in shock.

"Stop being a big ass and help me!" She screamed at him and yelled as the child started being pushed through.

"Right... uh," He swiveled around and found the shelf of purified water, and opened the tops, pouring it all over his hands and arms. Lowe had told him being clean was important.

He went to her waist and tried looking again.

"Alright, Jayde, push!"

"I'll push when I'm damn ready to push!" She kicked at him and screamed again.

Seconds went by and she fell quiet and he glanced up at her face, watching beads of sweat drip down her forehead.

"You're doing great Jayde," He calmly stated, holding the child's head as she pushed. She didn't respond, as all she could do was breathe deeply.

The child finally arrived into Tommy's hands, wet and wriggling around, reaching for its- her- mother. Tommy looked at Jayde and brought the infant closer, handing her the newborn.

"You have a daughter."

"Oh no, you know how troublesome I was," Jayde panted, smiling faintly.

A wave of discomfort flashed through her face.

"Hold her for a moment, please," she rested her head, and he picked up the child, worried.

Jayde's skin flushed white and her breathing picked up at a fast rate.

"Jayde...?"

"Tommy, I'm still bleeding aren't I?"

"I thought that was just the third stage Lowe talked about?"

"If I die from this Tommy-"

"You'll heal. You'll get better after this Jayde-"

"Don't interrupt me you i-idiot," she glared into his eyes, her pupils dilated.

"Her name is Zora V. Please remember that. And promise me one thing, Tommy. Look into my eyes while I say it!"

He stared at her and she reached for his arm.

"Never let her become a raider. Promise me."

"I promise. Jayde- I can't raise her myself-"

"I think you just might have to..."

She exhaled her last breath as the tortured ex-raider she was, finally free of the commonwealth and its monsters, but, unknowingly, she added her own monster into the world.

(Author'sNote: I can't believe I'm actually going to start posting my fallout fanfic! I've been planning for a long time now and I've only just finished writing out the prologue. Stay tuned, because I have goal of completing at least one chapter per month since I'm a little busy with college stuff. Anyways, thanks for reading and please, feel free to leave feedback.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

957 16 26
Female Sole Survivor (Y/N) A.K.A 'Charmer's meeting and befriending of the ex-mercenary MacCready in Fallout 4. This is my realistic interpretation...
4.3K 416 20
Aurora likes to think of herself as a protector of the Commonwealth. Others may see her as a distant and aloof mercenary, but she doesn't mind it-no...
2.1K 76 24
Gwen's on the brink of losing everything she cares about. Again. After Maxson's paranoia spirals out of control, the whole Commonwealth suffers losse...
173K 5K 61
You seem to have trouble with men-- you don't know why but they seem to cheat on you. On a normal morning day, instead of staying at home-- eating aw...