A Slice Of Life

By thatlatenightramen

Charlotte and Wesley are not in love. In fact, they'll probably be engaged to be married before they fall in... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 16

4 0 0
By thatlatenightramen

Chapter 16

Wesley Tran

Marriage interviews are the shit. Normally, I find them highly enjoyable. Obviously, the girl must be pretty enough for my mother to pick her. S-he usually has a decent personality that prevents boredom, but never has a personality that would make me actually fall in love with her. My mother also gives me money to take these girls out on dates. It’s a great excuse to buy an expensive meal that, theoretically, should be delicious. By the end of the night, I usually even get a full on make-out session. I’m a guy and I have needs. Then, hopefully, I’ll never see her again.

Unfortunately, my mind is elsewhere tonight. This is rather sad, since the girl is quite pretty. What was her name? Vivian? No, it must have been Valerie. Either way, she is a looker. Yet, I can’t enjoy it because I have too many problems that have popped up in the course of the past day.

 The first problem is my friends. I’ve gotten used to Hale’s episodes of angst. I was completely prepared for Oliver’s period of depression. What I was not ready for is Ren’s unexpected fight with Elle. I don’t know if I can handle living with them for the next week or so. It’ll be a whole new level of depression and angst in the apartment. This leads into my next problem.

Lottie. She can no longer act as my escape since I was the idiot that screwed everything up. Knowing her, she’ll avoid me at all cost. Lottie’s basically told me that she hates confrontation. Best case scenario is that she’ll pretend the incident never happened and we’ll never speak of it again. It is absolutely not my fault that she had that expression on her face. It’s the expression where her eyes are just a bit bigger than usual and she’s looking at me and she bites her lip out of nervousness. It is not my fault. If anything, she should have not looked at me at all. From that moment my hair got wet, till now, our relationship has completely changed. We have gone from siblings that are comfortable with any amount of space between us or not between us to two people that can hardly sit next to each other. Obviously, she doesn’t want to sit too close to me because she’s awkward like that, but I can’t allow myself to sit too close to her in case of what I might do.

I cannot pinpoint the exact moment this started, but I know it was the little things. Was it the way she held her chopsticks kind of weirdly? It must have been the way strands of hair always ended up in front of her face. Did it start the first time I wanted to brush that stray stand out of her eyes? Maybe it was the way I could always listen to her talk on and on about things she loved, or complain about all the things she hated.

I must not have noticed until the conversation in the kitchen. All those small things must have built up to this bigger, more momentous event. During that conversation that only took place a couple hours ago, I realized that I didn’t want to just know the trivial things about her. I wanted to know what she actually thought. And then I wanted to kiss the life out of her, but that’s beside the point. What I’m getting at is, I think I, Wesley Tran, have a crush on Charlotte Le.  That in itself is the third and last problem. It is the worst of them all. Maybe I should just take Bryn’s advice and introduce Lottie to my mother. And then we’ll get married. And make little Wesleys and Lotties. And then I’d actually get to kiss her. And not be interrupted.

What has she done to me? I’m going crazy. Why am I even thinking these things? A couple hours ago, I did not think about this. I obviously need to be admitted to a mental institution. “Wes, are you even listening to me?”

I focus my attention back onto Valerie. Vivian? No, it’s most definitely Victoria. Time to pull out the moves. “I’m sorry. I was just so enamored by your eyes.” She shoots me a look of disbelief and shakes her head.

“You weren’t exactly looking at my eyes.” I should have chosen something better. She’s on to me.

“Your lips are just so hypnotizing. They’re even making me get my words all jumbled up.” Rolling her eyes, she eats a bite of food. Now that I think about it, I should eat some food. Looking down at my plate and picking up my fork, I lift the fork up to my mouth and see that there’s nothing there. Hm. I must have finished it.

Victoria is looking at me with amusement and slight embarrassment in her eyes. I hope no one else saw that because then that would be extremely embarrassing for me. “You weren’t looking at my lips either. Unless you have sight problems, I’m pretty sure the wall looks nothing like a human face.”

Wow, she’s kind of feisty. I would have actually taken a liking to her if I hadn’t had my heart stolen away by someone else. What has this done to me? I can’t even enjoy any female company anymore.  “I’m so sorry about all this, Victoria. My mind—”

I’m cut off by the sudden drop of silverware on a plate. I realize that while Victoria has dropped her fork, she’s still waving her knife at me. Thank you, Mother, for setting me up with a homicidal freak that likes to use something as painful as knives. “My name is Jennifer. I’m going to kill my mom for setting up this date. Because you are horrible. I pity the girl who marries you in future.”

Pushing her chair back, she stands up, grabs her purse and walks out. Well, that was eventful, but why the hell would her name be Jennifer? I could have sworn it started with a ‘V.’

***

Bryn Sinclair

“You hiding out, too?” I immediately know who it is without looking up. Hale and I had fallen into a tension filled and hesitant (at least on my side of things) friendship with him constantly making flirtatious comments, and me deflecting as best as I could. Sitting at this table in the corner of the library had become a regular refuge for Hale and I these past couple days. It was rather unfortunate how my life came to this: hiding out in the library during a break. On top of that, the only company that I can tolerate right now is Hale. And he’s the one who broke my heart. And it will never be whole again. Why do my friends have to suck?

“Well, there’s really nowhere else that’s safe to hide, is there?” Ren and Elle were still in a cold war. Elle and Char are still in a cold war. Oliver had taken to watching a whole load of chick flicks with Charlotte, much to the dismay of Wes, who insisted that watching action movies was the way to go. Charlotte rather agreed, but Oliver wouldn’t have it. What makes things worse is that Wes doesn’t even get to hang out at these little movie sessions. Char has been avoiding him like the plague ever since that lovely little incident in the kitchen. I blame myself for walking in. Elle had been keeping busy by taking extra shifts at her jobs. Of course, she made sure that she never had the same shift as Ren at the coffee house. Ren, on the other hand, preferred to torture her with his presence. He never spared her a glance, but instead hung out at whichever place she was currently working.

All this leaves poor Wesley alone. Hale and I did not allow him to hang out at the library ever since the first day he tried. Frankly, I just could not handle his constant talk of Charlotte. Or his constant checking of his phone. Or the fact that he was always asking me about her. But his lovesick sighs were the worst. They would be long and drawn out. They were also impatient like a little toddler. Therefore, we sent him away and told him that it was forbidden for him to come to the library to hang out with us. He was quite put out by this and made a lame comment about how it’s probably because Hale and I wanted to relieve the sexual tension between us.

There may be tension between us, but it is not all sexual tension. In fact, the majority of it is just plain tension. In fact, most of the time, I want to kill Hale for making me cry, or  making me want to cry whenever he says something remotely charming.

“Well, I would like to think hanging out in the library makes me seem sexy. I have to say this dim lighting makes you look really damn sexy right now.” I shoot him a glare and move the stack of books between us. “I also really enjoy the smell of these ancient books. You know what you smell like? Strawberries. I really prefer that scent over books.” I make a mental note to change my shampoo. Hale pushes the books aside, so that my face is visible. I lift my gaze and look at him. His blue eyes startle me, and my heart beats faster. For a moment, I just stare at him and let myself think that we’re still together. My lips begin to curve up into a smile before I stop myself, and move the books to their place between us again.

“Really? Well, I rather prefer the smell of books. And unlike you, I can smell strawberries anytime I want.” I admit. That could have been better, but it’s not my fault that Hale still affects me the way he does. In fact, it’s my hormones’ fault. I have been deprived. That’s probably due to the fact that I could never go out with a guy in the past year without bursting into tears. That one time was just so much fun. I get up to leave when he suddenly grabs my wrist.

If I was Elle, and the person that grabbed my wrist weren’t Ren, the poor guy would know not to do such a thing again. If I was Charlotte, I’d be analyzing the situation. I would contemplate whether this wrist grab meant possessiveness or desperateness. I would go through all the dramas that have this certain scene and act accordingly, but since I’m Bryn, and Hale is the one doing the wrist grabbing, the only thing I can do is stand there.

***

A sliver chain looped through a white bow charm dangles in front of me. Looking up, I am faced with the guy who was sitting at the table with his girlfriend. He looks slightly put out. I raise my eyebrows at him before going back to my book. “Here. You can have it.”

I look back up at his blue eyes with skepticism. He’s still holding out the pretty necklace to me, and I’m not exactly sure what to do. “And why would I want a necklace from a complete stranger?”

“Why wouldn’t you want a free necklace from a complete stranger? It’s not like it’s going to kill you.” He takes a seat across from me, and leans his head on his free hand with the chain still dangling in front of me from his other hand.

“Why exactly are you trying to give it away? Isn’t that your girlfriend over there?” It was an innocent enough question. It’s not as though I wanted him. He may have been attractive with his brown hair and blue eyes, but I don’t think I would date someone show gives away necklaces to other girls while on a date.

“That is in fact my girlfriend. Or soon to be ex-girlfriend. How could someone not like this necklace? It’s adorable. As you can see, I’m quite put out. I’d like to think I have good taste.” I laugh before I can stop myself, and see him smile.

“I’m quite doubtful about your taste if she’s your girlfriend.” He’s leaning back in his chair passing the necklace from one hand to the next and back. “But I don’t blame you. Blonde with big boobs is quite attractive if you want no substance and clinginess.”  He laughs a bit and smiles. I feel the girl staring daggers at me and wonder if I should send him away. “You might just want to get back to your girlfriend. She might just think I’m trying to steal you away.”

“I’m sure she’ll get the point sooner or later. I don’t exactly want her around if she doesn’t even like this necklace.”

“I have a feeling she’s more of a diamond necklace kind of girl.” He raises his eyebrows at my forwardness and I can feel the heat engulf my cheeks.

“And what kind of girl are you?” I roll my eyes a bit and go back to reading. “Are you purposely trying to get me to break up with her? Are you actually trying to steal me away? You don’t look like that kind of girl, but who knows?”

Once again, I am forced to put down my book and look at him. He has an amused smile on his face. “Trust me. I am not trying to steal you away. You’re not my type. Or, you were my type, but not anymore.” He raises one eyebrow still looking amused. “Either way, I’ve dated a couple guys like you and they never ended well, so I’ve concluded that you’re not my type.”

“Well, one more won’t make a difference then.” He drops the necklace on to my book and stands up. He bows in an over-exaggerated manner almost making it look like a curtsy. “I’m sure I’ll see you around some time soon.” With a wink, he walks past me and his girlfriend and out the door.

***

“Don’t go.” It’s the desperateness in his voice that makes me turn around. It’s the broken look in his eyes like he needs me that makes me sit down. It’s the warmth of his hand around my wrist that makes me wish that everything was okay again. The playful atmosphere has dissipated, replaced with a world of broken hearts.  “I think we should talk.”

“And what exactly do we need to talk about?” Mentally, I applaud myself and keeping calm. I have yet to start crying, and I may just be able to continue a conversation.

Hale’s voice is quiet and laced with insecurity when he speaks. “I think we need to talk about what happened between us.” The library’s silence is suffocating, and I feel as though I can’t breathe. After he left, all I’d been wanting was the answers as to why. All I’d been wanting to do was talk. Now the chance is here, and suddenly, I want to run scared. I had built up this story as to why he left. I hoped so much that it was because he had to leave. That allowed me to accept it with a broken heart. But what if I was wrong? What if he left because he just didn’t want to be with me? The wall that I had spent so much time building started to crumble right in front of my eyes.

He moves the stack of books to the side and looks at me. Instinctively, I look to the side and will myself not to cry. “Could you please just look at me, Bryn?” I move my gaze to match his and see that there are tears in his eyes. And for the first time, I wonder if I’m not the only one who has a broken heart.

***

Hale Christiansen

Serious talks are not my forte. In a way, I’m almost as non-confrontational as Charlotte. However, instead of avoiding people, I face them head on and pretend that absolutely nothing is wrong. The only time I ran is when I escaped to England. I had never planned to really talk to Bryn about why I left. In my mind, I hoped, foolishly, that everything would go back to normal. And when I came back and saw that guarded look in her eyes, I realized that it wouldn’t.

Staring into her blue eyes, I almost lost my nerve. The love of my life is sitting in front of me, and I’m about to make her cry again. I blink away my own tears and fight the urge to grab her hand again. Before I can stop myself, I blurt out the first thing that comes to my mind. “I love you.” She looks as though I’ve stabbed her in the heart. “And I left you.” Stab. “I couldn’t handle the fact that I love you so much, so I left.” Another stab. I don’t know why I’m doing this to her. Does she need to know? Or do I just need to tell her for my own selfishness? “I wasn’t being a noble idiot, as Charlotte would say. I left because I was scared. And then, when you didn’t call, my heart felt like it had been smashed into pieces. Who knew that the girl I met at a bakery would be the one to break my heart?”

The look in her eyes makes me want to take back everything I said. I couldn’t handle her looking at me like this. The expression in her eyes is so cold and unnerving as though she really couldn’t give a damn. The only thing that gave her away are the tears in her eyes threatening to spill over at any second. Bryn stands up to leave again, but this time, I stand up, too. I reach out and grab her hand in my moment of desperateness. She flashes me a look, and tells me in a voice I’ve never heard her use before, “Don’t touch me.”

I should have just let her go then. But if I did, it would have meant the end, and I couldn’t let go of the one good thing that has happened to me.  Bryn tries to pull her hand away, but instead, I pull her close to me and wrap my arms around her. She struggles at first until I hold her tighter. “Don’t leave me. Please.” Bryn stops moving and I feel her body relax as she rests her head against my shoulder and cries. Before I can stop it, a tear of my own falls down my face.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425 7 28
It's the beginning of senior year, new chances, new goals and first love. This is a story of an unexpected love and a complicated situation, as Emma...
2.1K 283 37
TEEN-AGE LOVE..#FIRST ATTEMPT OF WRITING A STORY #if any grammar error please do excuse me.. A girl who experiences her first love in her life.. Will...
70 0 17
A slice-of-life comedy set in 1996. Platonic life-mates Jonesy & Max prepare themselves and stand in line for the premiere of the next installment of...
45 0 20
It's basically a story about your average gamer hanging with her high school friends, and meeting new friends along the way. She was having fun until...