Paradox

By niflheimr14

Mahouka Kouko no Rettousei 『Shiba Tatsuya × OC』 Disclaimer: Except for the main character and the other origi... More

Chapter 0
Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Chapter 3

249 8 0
By niflheimr14

Slowing down my speed, I made my descent behind a crowd of curious bystanders. I sighed silently, taking note of the lapses of the evacuation plan. Several "excuse me"'s were uttered as I navigate all the way to the back of the human barricade.

"A-ahhh! A-arggh!"

Those were the woes of someone who lost control of their powers. Someone who went blind because of someone or  their own twisted ideals. Someone who can no longer see the light in this world full of convenience and paradox.

I clenched my teeth as soon as the lights started to dim. My eyes darted to the flickering lamps and up to the buildings. I crouched with a foot pressing on top of the road barrier, ready to leap at any time. I stretched out my arms, prying the officers out of my sight. I heard them complain which was, most likely, shut down with a click of my tongue. I felt them wince as I shoot glares at them before dashing towards my target.

The sound of my footsteps echoed amidst the warnings I gained from the police. I flicked my wrist which then revealed a knife concealed beneath my sleeve. A spark flew towards a sobbing child and his mother.

"I'm not gonna let you." I muttered, using my other hand to cast a protective shield around the two. The spell was blocked which earned the ire of the culprit. I clicked my tongue again after I caught the shadow of his arm hurling towards me.

I ducked for as low as I can then threw the knife, aiming for its stomach. A second later, it screamed which meant that the object pierced its muscles quite deep. The culprit staggered while I straightened my back. It growled for seconds before releasing a terrifying howl accompanied by some sparks.

I squinted, sighed, then flicked my dark purple hair. "That's enough." I said, raising my chin and left arm.

"Freeze."

❖ ❖ ❖ ☪ ❖ ❖ ❖

It's probably 5 o'clock in the morning when the Shiba siblings made their way to a temple. Tatsuya had his intense sparring with his master, a monk specializing in taijutsu while Miyuki just stood at the side, watching them intently. After an hour, the young youth dropped to the ground, rigorously breathing before his sister offered to prepare for breakfast.

"By the way, young youth, I've noticed that you've exerted more force during the sparring." The monk mused, rubbing his chin with his fingers while the other hand took a cup of tea.

"What are you trying to say?" Tatsuya asked back, wiping his sweat with a face towel. After that, he eyed his sister who was setting up an area for a picnic along with the other monks.

His master hummed again before opening his mouth. "Kujou Marian." He mentioned a name he vowed not to say in front of his student's sister. He noticed Tatsuya's shoulders stiffened after that. His lips formed a frown while his eyes flashed his iris for once.

"My, my, it ain't like you, Tatsuya-kun." He began. "To be trapped in such obligations when you already know the answer." He added, tapping Tatsuya's shoulder.

"Wha—,"

"Ah~ it really is nice to be a youth~" He teased the younger one. "And, you should check the news."

❖ ❖ ❖ ☪ ❖ ❖ ❖

The heavenly aroma of hazelnut coffee wafted from kitchen all the way to my room. I sat up, rubbed my eyes lightly, then blinked for a couple of times. My vision was damned blurry until I tried so hard to squint my eyes, yelling for my eyes to focus. When it did, I glanced at my window only to find out it was still dawn.

"Hm? Wait," I paused for a minute and curled my fingers under my chin. "I live alone and I don't have any automated home appliance except for the cleaning and security bots." I listed down all the other possibilities that would contribute to the phenomenon in my kitchen.

"Don't tell me—!"

I jumped out of my bed and dashed all the way to where I heard the commotion. My heart was racing for what might be in-between excitement and uncertainty. I leaped at the last turn of the hallway and—

"Minoru!"

At the sound of his name being called, the man named Minoru turned around and smiled. "Marian-nee, long time no see." He said while putting down the plate on the dining table. His dashing smile made me contemplate whether I should reprimand him or be happy that he's here.

Ahem.

"He's not the only one here though." A voice came up behind me.

I swiftly turned my attention to the new arrival and saw a grown woman leaning against the door frame. She was closing one of her eye as she kept her eyes on me. My eyes twinkled for one moment until I realized that I was about to fall into one of her tricks.

I slouched with my mouth hanging low. "Eh~ you're here too, Kyouko-nee?" I remarked, pretending to be uninterested. A snicker from Minoru was enough to inform me that my act was good. My inner self buffed her chest like a proud woman as she is. If it wasn't for the light smack behind my head, this ego would've inflated.

"Now, now, Marian-nee, you shouldn't bully our sister like that." Minoru slung an arm around me and placed all his weight on me. I groaned at the sudden heavy feeling I got from him—which almost toppled me over.

I was about to retort when I caught him giving a stern eye contact to our older cousin. His lips formed a thin line and his grip around my shoulder tightened for a millisecond. Without giving off another word, he led me to a chair and urged me to sit down. After, he sat down beside me and dragged a plate of pancake and bacon.

"Well then, I'll leave Minoru in your care for today, Marian."

We looked at Kyouko-nee, who already had a bag and a long coat on her arms. She took her wallet from her purse, opened it and left some banknotes on the counter.

"Eh? What about school?" I asked before she could leave the room. She raised her arm without looking at us and told me not to worry. I glared at the man beside me which he, in turn, blocked with his hands.

"Things have blown up thanks to what you did last night." She announced.

A small 'oh' left my mouth. It took a moment for it to sink in but it did definitely hit something. 'Was the commander quite displeased with my manners last night?' I asked myself.

"That, and the fact that you used a high grade spell out of nowhere." She answered as if she had read my mind. We sighed in defeat and from the thought of having to face leaders that are far worse than Major Kazama.

"Err...is grandpa..."

"The geezer's fine. But as for..."

The way Kyouko-nee's voice trailed off made me worry about my future. She forced a light smile but it made me notice the way she glanced at Minoru. The latter heaved a heavy sigh. His firm hand ruffled my hair and said, "I'll do something about father."

"Then I'll do something about that person and while we're at it, Yanagi and the rest are on a meeting with the other elites. One of them will contact you for your new mission."

Once again, I hung my head low. I felt ashamed for making these two clean up the mess that I did overnight. This surge of power within me...if only I could control it better.

"For now, it would be best if you'll stay home for today."

❖ ❖ ❖ ☪ ❖ ❖ ❖

Tranquility—is what I've experienced since I have met her. Her presence has become my salvation in many ways. She'd allow me to do things that I've always wanted to do from the day I gained my own consciousness and free will. She showed me love of various lengths and has constantly shown me the care I've been seeking from my own family. I have always loved it when she strokes my hair while I use her lap as my pillow. If it weren't for the laws of my clan, I would have vowed my life to protect this girl.

"Tatsuya,"

Her gentle voice pulled me out from the ramblings I had. I opened my eyes and saw her face contorted with worry. I know I should be doing it but it can't be helped. I poked her cheek, smiled and ran my fingers along her deep plum hair. "What is it, Mari-chan?"

"Can't you stay over for today?"

My eyes went wide. I stared at her with my mouth agape. I know her offer is lathered with innocence but at some point, I could feel the desperation hidden in her tone. "Why? Is there something wrong?" I asked while sitting up. I scooted closer to her and wrapped my arms around her tiny body.
I felt her small hands find their way around my torso as she burrowed her face unto my chest. "I feel uneasy. It is as if I'll lose you tomorrow." She said.

I chuckled at her statement. I allowed her to snuggle this young, selfish, side of mine which I returned equally. "You've been saying that every day, Mari—,"
I tried to calm her by playing a joke. However, it didn't play its part. Instead, her hands trembled and her embrace got tighter. 'Does she know something that I don't?' I shook my head, ridding myself from those thoughts. I adjusted my arms up to her shoulders and in one fast motion, I planted a kiss at the crown of her head.

"It will be okay. I do have your protection." I cooed. "If that's not enough, then I'll come and visit you tomorrow without my parents." I gave her a promise that I swore to the heavens that I'll keep.

However, I wasn't able to.

In spite of my cries and pleas, no one bothered to listen. I felt agitated, betrayed and worthless. Those emotions swirled around my stomach as they strapped me on a table. The vision I had of my surroundings blurred after drugging me. I felt a tear escape from my duct and with my last ounce of strength, I pleaded once again.

"Please don't take Marian away from me."

"-suya-kun!"

I snapped back to reality right after I heard someone slamming their hand on my table. I shifted my attention back to the source and found Leo and the rest looking at me worriedly. "My apologies, what was it again?" I asked which surprised the group.
I kept asking them what's wrong but no one dared to tell me the truth until Mizuki fumbled herself. "W-well, we were wondering if you knew Kujou-san's mail or something like that." She spoke in an almost inaudible sound.

"Ah..." I pondered. "It's been a long time since we've exchanged mails so she might have changed her contact details." I told them. Indeed, it has been a long time. She was heavily guarded by the battalion with no assurance of when she'll open her eyes. That was the last time I saw her.

I was about to add something when someone opened the door. A teacher came in with dark circles in his eyes. He yawned as soon as he reached the table and tapped his shoulder with his record book. "Uhh.. today, you were scheduled to have the skills test. However, one of your classmates couldn't attend today due to some circumstances hence, the test will be moved tomorrow." He said in one breathing.

"That being said, the faculty decided to change things a bit to accommodate the Course 1 students who'll be using the same venue at the same time." He added without letting us react.

"Tatsuya...kun...?"

Bewildered, confused and pained. I could see all those emotions on her face as she clung to her mother. I took a step forward, feeling indifferent than before. The chaos that once disturbed me has left. I guess, she picked that up since tears has started to stream down.

I bent down with one knee on the ground and kept my head down. Suddenly, her thin arms embraced me as tightly as they could. She wept for whatever had happen to me. She kept asking about how I feel. My emotions and all but...

I'm one less of a human.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 5.9K 91
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
177K 9.6K 44
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢'𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐚 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩 𝐭𝐨 𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲? 𝐢 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 �...
496K 20.3K 61
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞-𝐛...
94.8K 2.9K 75
Alastor X Female Reader You and Alastor have been best friends since you were 5 years old. With Alastor being the famous serial killer of your time...