Taming the Beast

By CaylahWest

Keegan Porter. The new kid in school. Mysterious, dangerous, and full of secrets. Caroline Holloway. T... More

Taming the Beast
1- Chance Encounter
3- Jealousy at It's Best
4- Party Harder
5- Well That's One Way to Douse a Fire
6- Not All Wounds Heal
7- Definitely Not the Brady Bunch
8- Too Fragile Freak Out
9- A Wolfie Encounter
10- Testing the Waters
11- Marks and Scars
12- Poisoned By Love
13- Night of Firsts
14- He's Not a Pet, He's My Protector
15- One New Kid Per Person
16- Don't Go Changing For Me
17- So Far From Over
18- Pretending and Playing Games
19- I Can Save Myself
20- Going to Be Okay
21- Oh Baby
22- Reunited
23- Goodbye
24- Hello

2- Miscommunication

2.6K 74 11
By CaylahWest

(Caroline's POV)

Sighing, I threw my keys on the table and closed the door behind me once I got home. I was still in my volleyball clothes from the intense practice I just had to suffer through. I leaned against the door and pulled my hair out of the ponytail it was in, shaking it out with my hand a little. It fell in a wavy curtain.

"Ninny!" A high-pitched scream came from the living room. I smiled softly as my favorite toddler ran up to me. I knelt and picked him up as his small arms wrapped around my neck.

"There's my big boy," I smiled. No matter what kind of mood I was in, Preston could always make it better. He kissed my cheek before his head rested on my shoulder. I knew he wasn't in the least bit tired though. He just always did that when I picked him up. Preston had wild almost platinum blonde hair and crystal gray eyes. Freckles spotted his nose and across his cheeks. He was only three but he was very intelligent. He was the most adorable little booger ever. It was almost like he was my own son. His small finger touched his lip as he gasped and shot up.

"Ninny!" he said in an urgent whisper. "Can we play cars?" he asked. I smiled lightly and kissed him lightly before I walked him back into the living room.

"Ninny's tired baby," I said, setting him down in front of his toy cars again. I could already see the pout appearing on his face. I reached in my bag and wrapped my fingers around a peppermint. I smiled at him excitedly, immediately sparking his interest. "But, I have a piece of candy for you," I said. His eyes lit up with excitement as he started bouncing up and down happily. He stuck his hand out and I unwrapped the hard red and white mint before putting it in his hand. He immediately popped it into his mouth as a wide grin crossed his face.

"Thank you, Ninny," he said, his voice muffled by the treat.

"Don't tell daddy though," I said in a whisper. I heard a deep chuckle from behind me and smiled.

"Daddy already saw the whole crime," the voice said in amusement. I turned to see my big brother, Daniel, leaning against the wide, open doorframe with his arms crossed. He was smiling at me in a way that said he didn't care though. My brother was the picture of perfection. He had blonde hair, like me, but his hair was lighter than mine. His eyes were the same blue-green-gray bipolar color as mine. We had the same nose and everything; only his jaw line was more defined and he had rippling muscles everywhere. I had long muscular legs and a big butt from volleyball, but my waist was little and I was at least a C, bordering D, cup. I smiled and skipped over to give him a hug.

"What's for dinner?" I asked.

"Spaghetti and meatballs," he threw over his shoulder after he let go of me. I groaned and slouched slightly as I followed him into the kitchen.

"Again, Danny?" I asked in a whine. My brother only shrugged.

"Preston loves it. Plus, that's all Christy really taught me how to make," he said wistfully. My heart squeezed for him sympathetically. Christy was his girlfriend, and also the mother of Preston. After Daniel found out that she was pregnant, he bought a house. After Preston was born, he asked her to marry him. She flipped out and let him to take care of Preston by himself. After our parents died, I moved in with Daniel and helped him take care of Preston; hence, why he is like my own son. I'm practically his mom. I sighed and pushed off the wall I was leaning on.

"You know, you really should bring Preston to one of my games," I said changing the subject. Daniel raised in eyebrows in amusement.

"He would distract the shit out of you," my brother chuckled. I couldn't help the small smile forming on my lips. Danny was such a bad influence. I only shrugged.

"You keep the kid locked inside all day like you don't want anyone to see him. He's not Elsa, you know. You can let him down from the tower," I said, poking Danny in his side. He wrinkled his nose at me. Okay, yes, I just made a Disney reference. Sue me.

"Alright, if you say so, Princess," my brother teased, throwing my princess metaphor back in my face. I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the smile that was creeping on to my face. "I'll bring him to the next game," my brother gave in. I smiled widely as I headed back towards the living room.

"Great, I'll see you tomorrow then," I threw over my shoulder.

~

(Keegan's POV)

Caroline was the only thing on my mind all the way home. I collapsed on the couch and sighed like a lovesick pup. Karma crawled into my lap and rested her head on my shoulder. I smiled and kissed her head before I just sat there, staring at the ceiling and thinking about Caroline. Gregg, my future beta, sat next to me and just watched me. Asher sat on my other side. Asher started thumping my head. I growled and finally looked at him as my mom entered the room with a basket of laundry.

"What's gotten into you dear?" she asked me, tucking a loose piece of hair behind her ear. I shrugged, but I could feel my cheek heat up. I knew I was blushing. I'd never blushed in my life before Caroline.

"Our baby boy found his mate, and she's a human," Asher said in a baby voice as he reached over and pinched my cheek. I growled and hit him on the back of the head hard. He winced and shut up. My mom gasped and set her basket down.

"How did that happen? She's human? You found your mate on the first day out?" she said excitedly. She started bouncing on her toes and clapping like a two year old. I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Ma, I'll tell you about her if you stop doing that," I said, practically begging her. She only laughed and walked over to us on the couch. Asher moved to the single chair to let my mom sit next to me. She sat and waited eagerly. I only looked at the ceiling, smiling lightly to myself.

"What's she like?" my mom asked impatiently.

"Her name is Caroline. She's pure spitfire. She's bossy and impatient. She's got hair the color of a wheat field but it's shiny and soft. Her eyes... they aren't quiet just one color. They change depending on her mood: green when she's angry and grey when she's being bashful. They turn this amazing color of ocean blue when she's happy. She's beautiful... and stubborn. She's got this sort of... athletic hourglass shape. She's got strong legs... she plays volleyball," I explained, staring at the ceiling. After running into her at lunch, I asked the guys to tell me all they knew about her. My mom squealed, making me flinch at her close proximity.

"That's wonderful Keegan!" she smiled before she hugged me tightly and kissed my face repeatedly. I scrunched my nose and tried to lean away from her.

"Ma," I whined. The guys only chuckled.

"You forgot to tell you mom about her big, juicy ass," Nick smirked, motioning with his hands and pretending to squeeze something. I glared at him as I growled.

"Stop teasing him, Nick," my mom said in a very motherly manner. Karma shifted on my lap, she was looking at me now. Her light brown eyes held excitement.

"Will she play with me?" Karma asked. I touched my forehead to my little sister's as I smiled.

"I'm hoping she'll be too busy playing with me," I said innocently. My mom slapped my shoulder, making all of us guys start laughing.

"You are such a bad influence on your sister, I swear," my mom said, standing. She picked Karma off of my lap and went to retrieve her basket. "Oh, and someone should break the news to, that retched, Natasha and tell her that she's not going to be Luna anymore," my mom said with a slight smirk. I sighed and covered my face with my hands. I almost forgot about that. Natasha was this stuck up girl with dyed-blonde hair and muddy brown eyes. Every Alpha has to have a Luna. Lunas are thought to bring out the gentleness of an Alpha. Without her, he would basically be bitter and mean to everyone most of the time. He would have no sympathy. So I was supposed to mate with Natasha. Her father was my dad's beta and they thought it would be a good move for the pack.

"I will gladly tell her," Gregg muttered as he rolled his eyes. The sight made me smirk. He couldn't stand Natasha. We'd all grown up together, so we knew her well.

"Isn't she on the volleyball team with Caroline?" Asher asked. I sighed and mentally face-palmed myself. She was.

"You all know that just simply telling her that she won't be Luna won't work. It doesn't work that way. Plus, I don't know if I'm even allowed to have a human Luna," I said with a sigh. Everyone got quiet as they thought about that.

"Well, I'm going to Harley's tonight to get some more medicine for your father," my mom said, breaking the silence said before she left. My jaw locked as I tensed. My father was really sick. It was why I had to take over so early. I hated seeing him that bad.

"Your mate is headstrong. I've known her for a while and she's been through a lot, so you'll have to be patient with her, Keegan," Trevor input. I looked at him curiously but I didn't have time to ask the question I wanted because Nick was already talking again.

"Hey, there's a volleyball game tomorrow. No doubt, your mate, Caroline, and your soon to ex-girlfriend will be there. Plus, there will be girls in tight, almost nonexistent shorts for the rest of us," Nick suggested. I smiled lightly and nodded. I couldn't wait to see Caroline.

Natasha... not so much.

~

(Caroline's POV)

I reached up and spiked the ball over the net. The other team scrambled but they just couldn't return it. The sound of skin skidding on polished wood floor stung my ears. Personally, I hated the sound, but it came with the territory of being a volleyball player. The ball hit the floor and the whistle blew. I smiled as I jogged over to my other teammates, giving them high-fives. I hugged Stacy and Mariana at the same time; our little group hug taking place in the middle of our side of the court. We'd just won the game. I smiled as I let go. Stacy's eyes flickered over to the bleachers before a suspicious smirk appeared on her face.

"I think cafeteria boy is keeping tabs on you," she said. I glance over to see Keegan with a group of boys that were well-known around the school. Of course he would be in with the popular crowd his second day here. I saw that coming a mile away. He was sitting with Gregg, Trevor, Asher, and Nick, and he seemed to be the leader of them.

Unbelievable.

Unbe-freaking-lievable.

Gregg was a firecracker. He was wild and unpredictable; also a bit of a prankster. Trevor was actually kind of shy and sweet, but he would still make trouble with the boys. Asher was the obnoxious one. Out of everyone, you would always be able to hear him when he talked. He was always so damn loud. And Nick was the pervert; point blank. The boys around him were being rowdy, but Keegan was as calm as a cucumber, and his eyes were trained on me. He gives a small smile which I return before turning back to my girls.

"You're being ridiculous," I roll my eyes at her. Mariana and Stacy went to go talk to their families and I walk towards the bleachers as my eyes scan the bleachers for Danny and Preston.

"Good game," a deep, familiar voice said from behind me. I turn on my heels quickly to face Keegan. He's smirking at me slightly as his eyes take in my attire openly. I cross my arms over my chest and shift my weight to my right foot.

"So, what, you're stalking me now?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. He chuckles before he jabs his thumb back in the direction of his rowdy friends.

"They wanted to watch the volleyball team because of the shorts and dragged me along with them," he explained easily. My face turned red as I looked away from him. I felt like an idiot.

"Keegan! Baby, over here," a teammate of mine yelled across the gym. I mentally flinched. I don't know why a pang of jealousy ran through me, but I couldn't control it. I raised my eyebrows at him and put my hands on my hips; trying to keep cool.

"Someone's popular," I said, my voice filled with amusement. His cheeks blushed ever so slightly through his golden skin as he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. I would've addressed it, but right then, my favorite three year-old was running up to me.

"Ninny!" he screamed. I couldn't help the big smile that spread across my face as I squat to meet him despite my thighs aching from the game we just won. He jumped into my arms and I stood with him, grunting as I did so.

"There's my big boy. I think you're starting to get too old for this," I said teasingly before I kissed his cheek. He giggled before he hid his face in my neck. I turned my eyes back to Keegan's shocked and almost hurt expression. I shook it off before I moved Preston to my hip and rocked him gently. "Keegan, this is Preston. Preston, do you want to say hi to Keegan?" I asked, my tone getting softer and gentler when addressing Preston. Preston hid his face in my neck as his tiny hands gripped around my neck. I chuckled and looked at Keegan again. He was just staring kind of shocked.

"He's really beautiful," Keegan said a little wistfully. I saw Danny near the exit, waving towards me and a smile spread across my face.

"Hey, I have to go, but I guess I'll see you at school tomorrow," I said, flashing Keegan a quick smile. I walked over to where Danny was waiting for me. He smiled and slung an arm over my shoulder before he kissed the side of my head.

"Okay, you were right. Bringing Preston to the game was a great idea. He loved it, and he actually sat still for once.... And you were awesome," Danny chuckled. I smiled and used my free hand to push him away from me gently before replacing it back under Preston's leg.

"I told you," I smiled triumphantly. I buckled Preston into his seat before I slid in the passenger side. Danny got in and started the car. Once we were on the main road, his glanced at me briefly before returning his eyes to the road.

"So who was that guy you were talking to?" he asked curiously. I smiled lightly as I shook my head. No way in hell was I ever talking about boys with my brother. Not even if hell froze over. That was just something that was off limits to him, even if he was like my stand-in father/guardian. Plus, my brother was a cop. Mixing overprotective, cop-brother with boy drama was never a good idea.

~

(Keegan's POV)

I watched the game closely. It wasn't that I was a big volleyball fan or anything, I was just watching Caroline. I noticed the way her brow furrowed slightly and she chewed on her lip when she was concentrating. I noticed how she bit her lip after getting a point to keep from trash-talking. I noticed how it was harder for her to stretch her arm up on her right side than her left. I wondered what that was about. She spiked the ball, earning the Bulls the winning point. She celebrated with her teammates. I saw her glance at me. I smiled lightly as the guys dispersed to go talk to girls. I walked down to where she was standing. I had to resist the urge to touch her.

"Good game," I said, leaning over slightly so she could hear me over the noise. I smirked as I took in her volleyball spandex shorts and spandex top. All in all, they fit tightly, hugging every wonderful curve of her body.

"So, what, you're stalking me now?" she asked, amusement clearly written all over her face. Okay, so maybe I was stalking her a little bit, but she didn't need to know that. Thankfully, Nick already gave me a great excuse. I chuckled, trying to laugh it off, and motioned to the guys.

"They wanted to watch the volleyball team because of the shorts and dragged me along with them," I lied easily. Her cheeks turned rosy in embarrassment. All I wanted to do was touch her cheeks and pull her into me. Natasha called to me but I wasn't really paying attention. I kept up an easy conversation with Caroline. It was like breathing, it came naturally.

"Ninny!" a little kid screamed, interrupting our conversation. A wide grin spread across Caroline's face as she knelt to meet the little boy. She picked him up and kissed his cheek.

"There's my big boy. I think you're getting too old for this," she smiled towards him. The look of love in her eyes for this child made my heart break. The kid rested his head on her shoulder and it looked like a natural occurrence. The boy looked just like her, granted his hair was a tiny bit blonder and he was a boy, he looked just like her. I could only stare at them, shocked and... hurt. I was hurt because my mate already had a son. And if the son was here, the father was probably not too far behind. My mate already had a family. I wouldn't want to pull her away from her family... her son.

"Keegan, this is Preston. Preston, do you want to say hi to Keegan?" she asked motherly towards the child. I felt like my heart had just been ripped out and stomped on. It was getting a little harder to breathe. The kid clung tighter to Caroline, making her chuckle. She looked so happy. Blue... her eyes were blue as the skin around her eyes crinkled with laughter.

"He's really beautiful," I said politely. I couldn't help but think of what our children might have looked like.

"Hey, I have to go, but I'll see you at school tomorrow," she said, smiling at me quickly before leaving with the child in her arms. A tall blonde male was waiting for her. He slung his arm over her shoulders and kissed her head. I felt tears prick my eyes.

Wait, tears?

I didn't cry. I don't cry. My fists balled angrily. How could a girl I just met, have me feeling like this? And she wasn't even trying to do it. She was just living her life. The life she established way before me. Anything I did to pull her away from her family at this point would only make her hate me. And I didn't want her to hate me. I wanted her to be happy. So I guess I finally did find my mate... but it was too late.

Natasha came bounding up to me; her shorts were hiked up higher on her skinny legs than the other girls. She smiled a toothy grin as she tucked a loose piece of dyed-blonde hair behind her ear. She was tall for a girl, only half a head shorter than me and that was saying something because I was 6'5''. Caroline was a good head shorter than me. Natasha wrapped her thin arms around me as she pressed her body closer. Growing up, she was teased for being a little on the heavier side. When she hit high school, she dropped a ridiculous amount of weight, threw herself into everything, caked her face, and became the person standing here now. She used to be so nice and gentle. I guess time changed that.

Her standing here was an awful reminder that I was stuck with her. My plan for tonight was to break up with her so I could pursue my Caroline. Great, I was already calling her mine and she clearly wasn't. I was stuck with Natasha. Caroline was happy with her life. She had a kid for God's sake.

"Aw, you came to watch me play? You're such a good boyfriend," she smiled as she pulled away. I gave her a half-assed tight smile back but she seemed pleased with it. She reached forward and pressed her lips against mine. Her kiss had nothing on Caroline's touch alone.

I had to stop thinking about that girl, but it was hard.

"The boys dragged me along," I said, feeding her the same excuse I gave Caroline. Natasha wrapped her hand in mine. I didn't pull away. I let her do what she wanted, despite the curious glances I was receiving from the guys. Because the God awful truth was that Natasha was going to be my Luna and wife.

Because I couldn't have Caroline.

~

~*~*~

My plan is to update as I get more votes and comments and reads so read away and tell your peeps on here if you want to read the next chapter! Can we get at least 10 votes (Not hard right)? Talk about it! Get your peeps here so you can read the next chapter.

xoxo

~Kaye

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 9.2K 63
Cover: @PhoenixKing98 Excerpt- "'We can't... I can't." His eyes darkened even with my encouraging words and calm manner. He jerked my hand away...
236K 8K 30
John Johnson, the youngest of the Johnson siblings in the castle. His sister being THE Luna of all Luna's, being married to the Alpha king and all, h...
28.5K 482 7
A mate is something every werewolf looks forward to having. They want to be loved, treasured and safe, but what if the one thing you need protecting...
9.2K 235 15
Ash Ryder; smart, athletic- and an assassin werewolf. When her twin brother goes missing, she goes to find him and gets bitten by him. She Joins th...