New Girl On The Block

By CWrites1

*ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE* Meet Skylar, the new girl in town. All she wishes for her last year of high s... More

0.0
0.2
0.3
0.4
0.5
0.6

0.1

209 8 5
By CWrites1

Blythe Danner as Grandma Rose

0.1

Moving sucks.

Not only am I moving in with someone I see every blue moon, but I have to start at a new school in my senior year. I don't even like school.

I'm currently sitting on the floor in my grandmother's living room as the movers walk in and out with my belongings. I've been doing this for a couple minutes now, seeing as there isn't much to do until all the boxes are inside.

I decide to move from my place on the floor and explore the house a little. It's a cute two story house with about five rooms on the main floor and around six on the second floor, along with a basement that I don't plan on going into.

Eventually the movers are done bringing my things in and I head to the room so I can get started on unpacking before I lose all motivation. As I walk into the room I notice I desk to my left, my dresser and mirror to my right, and my bed the centre against the wall with a mattress already on it.

I start unpacking the essentials first, my bed sheets, until I only have a couple boxes of clothes and things left; at that moment my grandma decided to poke her head in.

"Hey I see you've started putting things away." She leans against the doorframe. Her curly blonde, almost white, hair tied up in a bun with some strands hanging around her face, and a loose colourful dress on.

"Yeah my hands feel gross from all the cardboard and tape." I laugh changing my leg position.

"Oh I'm sure, just glad you finally made it after all this time."

I was born and lived in Canada but since my mom was an American citizen, technically so am I, regardless we never made many ventures to see relatives not in Canada. 

"At least I'm finally here."

"Well, why don't you take a break and go grab some snacks you might like from the convenience store down the street?"

I look down at my outfit consisting of a cropped t-shirt and some grey Roots sweatpants.

"Sure, how do I get there?" I ask standing and stretching my stiff legs.

"Out the door to the left, follow the street until you get to the elementary school and it's right across." She tells me entering the room to help organize.

"Okay thanks, I'll be right back." I start to walk towards the stairs when her voice calls me back.

"Grab a twenty from my wallet at the front and grab me a chocolate bar with nuts in it."

With an 'okay' I grab the money and walk out the door. As I followed her instructions, hoping I don't get lost, I looked around the neighbourhood that would be my new home.

Grandma Rose lives in a very picturesque neighbourhood; lot's of trees, some trails to walk along, and a nice park with a gated dog park connected. After a couple minutes of walking I come across the convenience store with an elementary school across the street just like she said.

I cross the street to the store and walk inside. A bell on the door chimes as I walk in the door of the air conditioned building. 

There are a few other people are walking through the few aisles of candy, chips, random toys, preserved foods and cereals, with a station for lottery tickets and drinks in a fridge on either side.

I pass a deep freeze full of popsicles, ice cream sandwiches, and Drumstick. I explored picking up the snacks that caught my eye while finding a chocolate bar with nuts.

Deciding I've got enough to be under the twenty dollar limit, I walk to the checkout and place everything down for the teenage girl standing behind the counter.

"Is there anything interesting to do in this town?" I ask while she rings up the items.

"Uhh I won't even lie and say yes." She chuckles putting them in a plastic bag.

"Good to know there's something to look forward to this year." I say sarcastically handing her the money.

"New in town?"

"Yeah I just moved in with my grandmother." I tell her putting the change in my pocket.

"Oh cool, I assume you're starting at the highschool then right?"

"Unfortunately, I will be there tomorrow." I chuckle taking the bag of food and drinks.

"Here I'll give you my number and you can text me when you get to school tomorrow."

After learning her name was Aimee, we exchanged numbers and I left to get back to my grandmothers house.

On the way out I somehow managed to open the door on a person.

"What the fuck?"

"I am so sorry!" I bring the door back towards myself and walk outside. I really am making some great first impressions.

"Well I'd hope so you just opened a door on me." He responded.

It's not like they're meant to be opened or anything.

"Again, so sorry." With that I speed walk away, not turning back to look at the very attractive specimen I hit.

Finally making it back I opened the front door to the sweet aroma of a homemade meal, something I haven't had in a while.

"I'm back." I yell into the foyer in case she didn't hear the door open and close.

I leave the change in a colourful bowl at the front with other coins in it and walk towards the kitchen at the back of the house. The scene in front of me was, interesting to put it one way.

The radio was on and Grandma Rose was dancing around the kitchen chopping vegetables and throwing things into a stew with another older lady doing the bump.

I stare at the scene amused and put the snacks on the table and they realize someone else is in the room.

"Hey sweetheart, you just get in?" She asks slightly out of breath.

"Yeah sorry I took so long, I left the change in the bowl at the front." I pulled out a chair and sat.

"No worries me and Marge here were just having some fun. Get everything you wanted?" She asks tasting the broth of what I assume is beef stew.

"Yes, thank you. Nice to meet you Marge."

"Nice to finally meet you too, Rose here has told me so much I feel like I already know you." She smiled showing the crows feet around her eyes, evidence of years of laughter and smiling.

We continue making small talk until the stew is deemed ready and we all take a seat at the table with a steaming bowl in front of us and some bread.

"Before I forget, we only have one car at the moment so I can drive you to school but I have work so I can't pick you up."

"That's alright, I can always walk or something."

"Well my grandson will be at the same school I'm sure I can con him into driving you home. Guilt works every time my dear." Marge comments taking a bite of her bread.

"Oh really you don't have to I don't mind walking."

"Don't you worry about it, don't need you getting lost now do we." She laughs.

We continue to make small talk and finish soon after, pitching in to clean the kitchen and dishes. Marge takes her leave, something about an early morning.

I take a quick shower in my attached bathroom and hop into bed not at all looking forward to the school day ahead.

I fall asleep to the soft tapping of rain against my window, lightning illuminating my room every once in awhile as I drift into a peaceful slumber.

*****

Hello lovelies. Welcome to my second book.

The media is Blythe Danner who I imagine as Skylar's Grandmother, feel free to imagine anyone you want. 

As the first few chapters continue I will continue to add pictures and such of each character.

Comment what you think is gonna happen for this book and what you would like to see.

Have a wonderful morning, afternoon, evening, and night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...