Aztec's Suffering

By erziegler00

There is a huge jumping competition coming up, and no one has trained harder than Aztec and Bailey. However... More

Chapter 1: The Competition
Chapter 3: "I'm Fine"
Chapter 4: Don't Let it Show
Chapter 5: Admitting Defeat

Chapter 2: Practice, Practice, Practice!

397 11 0
By erziegler00

Aztec woke to the sound of the barn door opening. He got up and looked towards the sound. There was Bailey, standing at the door's entrance. As he walked toward his stall, Aztec looked outside. It was barely the crack of dawn. Aztec stifled a yawn. This was earlier than usual for their extra practice time, but he couldn't complain about being more prepared than the others.

"Mornin' Aztec," said Bailey as he put the halter on his horse's head, "Ready to kick some tail today?"

Aztec forced out an enthusiastic nicker. He was so tired, but he couldn't show it! Aztec couldn't let Bailey down, so he just went with the flow.

....................

After they finished tacking up, Bailey led Aztec to the arena, where they started their warm-up. Bailey walked, trotted, and cantered Aztec a couple times around the ring. Then, they completed a series of small jumps. After this, Bailey slowed Aztec down.

"Woah, boy," Bailey pulled on the reins, "Good warm-up, Aztec! Let's get you some water, then we can start."

Bailey led Aztec to the water trough. As usual, Shep, Teeny, and Angora were watching along the fence line. They walked up to Aztec as he drank and sat down next to him.

"Morning, Aztec," Shep greeted the horse, "Bit early, isn't it?"

Aztec raised his head, "Bailey and I need the extra practice time, so we can be ready for the competition. I think it's really paying off."

"You know, Aztec," Shep said, " There is such a thing as too much practicing. You need to let yourself rest and recuperate before you can compete, or else you'll be too tired to do well."

Aztec snorted angrily, "What do you know about it, Shep? You've never competed a day in your life! Bailey and I are going to win this thing, and I can't do it when I'm just lounging around all day! Now, if you'll excuse me, here comes Bailey. We've got a competition to win."

Aztec then turned away in a huff, with Bailey on his back. Shep shook his head and sighed. Teeny bounced around Shep, excitedly.

"I don't understand, Shep," said Teeny, "Why does Aztec want to practice so much?"

"Because, Teeny," Shep answered, "He thinks that if he stops practicing, then he won't do well in the competition. So, he works as hard as he can to satisfy himself and to please Bailey, but It never seems like enough."

Teeny still looked confused, "But, doesn't he ever get tired?"

"Of course he does," Shep replied, "But sometimes horses can be as stubborn as mules."

"Oh please!" Angora rolled her eyes, "If he wants to do extra practice, I say let him do whatever makes him feel ready! Let him impress his owner. You worry too much, Shep."

Shep sighed, "Well, maybe you're right."

.......................

A few hours later, it was time for actual jumping practice. All of the horses were refreshed and ready to start a new day. Everyone except Aztec. He was still exhausted from this morning's private training. Aztec didn't know if he could make it through today's practice too, but he had to keep going! He was going to make sure that he and Bailey were going to win, and beat Chili in the process! Aztec laughed to himself. He couldn't wait to see the look on Chili's face when he wins the whole thing.

Aztec's thoughts were interrupted when Will said that he and Bailey would go first. Bailey clucked to Aztec and they went forward.

Aztec broke into a canter as they approached the first jump. All of a sudden, the jump looked much bigger than it was, and the first rail came clattering down. Aztec looked back in shock, then brought his attention back forward.

"C'mon, Aztec," he could hear Bailey behind him, "Stay focused!"

Aztec shook his head and snorted with intent. He took off over the second jump. Missed it! Aztec put on a determined face and clenched his teeth.

'Focus!'

He landed the third jump right before he heard a rail hitting the ground. Bailey slowed Aztec down and patted his neck.

"It's ok, boy. We'll get it next time."

Aztec snorted in disappointment, and Bailey heard Chloe laugh loudly.

"Ride like that, and the judge will be sorry to even give you a participation trophy!" she said rudely.

Bailey's blood boiled. They just had a bad round! Everybody has those! He turned Aztec back in line, with a furious expression on his face.

"Chloe!" Will shouted, "That was totally unnecessary! I expect more sportsmanship than this! We're all on the same team! Come on, you're up next."

Chloe urged Chili forward, wearing a devilish grin.

.....................

After everyone else had their turn, Will called for a break. The kids all tied their horses to the fence and went off on their own. When they were gone, the horses started talking.

"You're really breaking a sweat, Aztec," Scarlet said, observing how sweaty Aztec was compared to everybody else, "Are you ok?"

Aztec looked in her direction, "Yeah. You would too if you've worked as hard as I have."

Scarlet looked a bit hurt.

"Aw, c'mon Aztec," Calypso said, "You've just looked so worn out lately. We're just worried about you, that's all!"

"Well, don't be," Aztec snorted, "I'm better than ever, and I'm more ready for this competition than any of you are!"

Calypso looked at him and shrugged.

"Suit yourself."

.......................

After the break, Will summoned everyone to the center of the ring. When they were all gathered around, Will cleared his throat.

"I have an announcement," Will said loudly, "Due to the larger amount of competitors this year, the Junior National Jumping Championship has asked for volunteers to help set up for the competition, and I signed us all up!"

Everyone looked at him wide-eyed, and then they all cheered, except Chloe and Zoey.

"Hold on here. I'm not finished," Will quieted them down, "This will take until the day of the competition. If we go, the horses will have to stay here and be driven there the day before the competition. Now, if anyone's not able to go, tell me now so I know."

"We all can go!" everyone said in union.

However, Chloe and Zoey had other ideas.

"Count us out!" Chloe said with a disgusted expression.

"Yeah," Zoey agreed, "All that dirty work will ruin our nails!"

Will rolled his eyes, "Fine. Then you two are responsible for all of the regular chores here, while the rest of us are gone."

Chloe and Zoey looked horrified.

"But-" Chloe started.

"No 'buts'," Will cut her off, "You had your chance."

Chloe and Zoey grumbled loudly.

Will turned his attention back to the others,

"This will give the horses a chance to rest before the competition, and a chance for us to get to know the courses before everyone else. I'd say we have a huge advantage here! We'll leave Wednesday morning, which leaves us until tomorrow to practice."

Everyone cheered excitedly. This was a huge opportunity to get to know the place before anyone else.

Aztec let out a huge sigh of relief. He'll finally have a chance to rest before the competition! He just had to make it until tomorrow.

....................

After everyone left for the night, Aztec was finally getting ready to get some sleep, until Scarlet snapped him out of his state.

"Aztec," Scarlet said with concern, "Are you sure you're alright? We know that you and Bailey have been practicing extra. You just look so tired lately, we're all worried about you!"

Aztec sighed. Why can't they just leave him alone? He turned to faced her.

"I already told you that I'm fine!" He retorted.

"You don't look fine!" Chili stated, "You were a mess in practice today, knocking down every rail in every jump. That's not like you! Usually, you're the one to beat."

Aztec looked at him in shock, and the snorted angrily.

"Since when have you cared about anybody, but yourself?!" he snapped, "You just want me to do badly in the competition, so you can pave your way to the top and win the whole thing!"

Aztec stopped abruptly. He groaned softly as a sudden ache rippled through his whole body. He closed his eyes for a few brief seconds until it went away, then turned back to Chili and the others.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to get some sleep," Aztec glared at his stablemates, then backed up a couple steps and lied down. However, when he sank down in the straw, that ache came back through his body, more powerful than a few seconds before. He held his breath and clenched his teeth until it went away. Then he closed his eyes and relaxed.

Before he dozed off, he could hear his friends' concerned whispers.

"I was just trying to help."

"Just give him time, Chili. You know how stubborn he can be."

"But something's definitely wrong. He looked like he was in pain!"

"Let's just not push him, Scarlet. That will only make it worse."

"Alright, but I just have a horrible feeling about this."

Aztec sighed heavily. He hated lying like this, but it was for the best. He just had to win this competition, for himself and for Bailey! He'll feel better tomorrow, once he had a good night's sleep.

So here's chapter 2! Ok, so I'm leaving for college on Thursday, so I may or may not get this story done before then. So, this might take longer than anticipated, but I'm doing my best. And, don't worry, I haven't forgotten about my other stories! I just have major writer's block on them right now. I'll get them updated eventually. In the meantime, please enjoy this story! <3

R&R

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

366K 6.1K 79
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
128K 2.5K 43
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
814K 49.8K 114
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
160K 5.7K 91
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...