Once We are Descendants

By starchild10

When Mal of Auradon and Crystal of Storybrooke mix the wrong spells together, both end up accidentally openin... More

Prologue: Go Back?
Bonus Content: Crystal's Back Story (Not a Chapter)
Chapter 1: New Worlds
Chapter 2: I Want to Know More
Chapter 3: Life as Usual
Chapter 4: Be There for You
Chapter 5: Secrets to Learn
Chapter 6: Plots for Portals
Chapter 7: Long Live Evil
Chapter 8: Guilty Until Proven Innocent
Chapter 9: Framed for Nothing
Chapter 10: Success for All
Chapter 11: Stealthy Shrimpy
Chapter 12: Theories and Mysteries
Chapter 13: Risky Business
Chapter 14: Made, Not Born
Chapter 15: Looking After Me
Chapter 16: Inner Villain
Chapter 17: The Pain of Broken Heart
Chapter 18: Freedom
Chapter 19: Fight for Love
Chapter 20: Caught in the Dark
Chapter 21: Support Before Danger
Chapter 22: How Auradon Fights
Chapter 23: It's Going Down
Chapter 24: What's My Name?
Chapter 25: Battle Till the End
Chapter 26: What Did I Bring to Storybrooke?
Chapter 27: Taming the Dragon
Chapter 28: Hooked on Guilt
Chapter 29: Check the Introductions
Chapter 30: Friends and Enemies
Chapter 31: Friends and Family
Chapter 32: The Family of Evie
Chapter 33: Members of Darkness
Chapter 34: Number One Troublemaker
Chapter 35: Family Feud
Chapter 36: Parental Dysfunction
Chapter 37: Emotional Tides
Chapter 38: Dizzy's Discourse
Chapter 39: When No One is Watching
Chapter 40: Changed?
Chapter 41: Rationale
Chapter 42: Family Dinner
Chapter 43: Family Tales
Chapter 44: Late Night Visit
Chapter 45: Strange New Land
Chapter 47: Crystal Clear
Chapter 48: Morning Madness
Chapter 49: Discipline and Devotion
Chapter 50: A Lesson in Hope
Chapter 51: Roll Call
Chapter 52: Heroes or Villains?
Chapter 53: Parental Rules
Chapter 54: Mother-Daughter
Chapter 55: CJ Trouble
Chapter 56: Pirate v.s. Princess
Chapter 57: Meet the Parents
Chapter 58: Ursula's Urchin
Chapter 59: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Chapter 60: Moving In
Chapter 61: De Vil in Disguise
Chapter 62: Home Away From Home
Chapter 63: Her Brother's Keeper
Chapter 64: Dateable
Chapter 65: Amends for Amour
Chapter 66: Hidden Deception
Chapter 67: Heart to Heart
Chapter 68: Negotiations
Chapter 69: Family Ties
Chapter 70: Something Unexpected
Chapter 71: Potential
Chapter 72: The Storm Within
Chapter 73: A Bit Bizarre
Chapter 74: When the Claws Come Out...
Chapter 75: Tension
Chapter 76: Truth and Lies
Chapter 77: Dark One to the Rescue?
Chapter 78: Crumbling
Chapter 79: Love/Hate
Chapter 80: Suppression
Chapter 81: Hello My Heart
Chapter 82: Uh Oh Oh Oh It's Magic
Chapter 83: Dead Alive
Chapter 84: Fingerprints
Chapter 85: Dragon Ladies
Chapter 86: Leap of Faith
Chapter 87: Training Day
Chapter 88: Disappearing Act
Chapter 89: Dance of the Dragons
Chapter 90: Something Worth Keeping
Chapter 91: Aftermath
Chapter 92: The Importance of Being You
Chapter 93: Party at Granny's
Chapter 94: Parental Dis-play/may
Chapter 95: New Game Plan

Chapter 46: Shocks and Spots

1.1K 34 11
By starchild10

Carlos continues staring into the mirror as if he's just seen a literal ghost. He looks down at the cut on his hand and then back at the mirror. The copper colouring remains around the looking glass and glows slightly as if it had reacted to his blood. The image of this version of his mother is crystal clear, an obvious shift from the hazy mess that had been there when he first entered the shop. He suddenly realizes that the mirror shows a family member connected through their bloodline.

"Why are you still in my reflection?!" the vain puppy-hater barks. "I must ensure that my makeup is applied correctly."

"It's the mirror I'm looking through," Carlos explains. "It uses blood to connect a person with their family members."

The woman rolls her eyes, scoffing at the very suggestion. "Please darling, I have no living relatives, I was sure of that because they're all down here with me."

"Down here?" Carlos asks. He has noticed the continuous red tint around the image of his mother, but until now he'd thought it was an effect from the mirror itself. "What does that mean? Where are you?"

"Are you serious?" the wicked woman snorts, lighting herself a cigarette, knowing she wasn't getting out of this conversation any time soon. "I thought every brat of Storybrooke knew what happened to me."

"I don't. Mom, what happened to you? Why can't I find you?"

"STOP CALLING ME YOUR MOTHER!" she barks so loudly that the mirror actually rattles with the volume of her voice. The sheer loudness of her banshee-like scream causes Carlos to step back and touch his ears to ensure that he would not go deaf from her tantrum. "I am sure that I have NEVER become a mother. To lose such a gorgeous figure would be much too costly to my self-esteem... and to throw my life's work and money away for merely providing a brat with food and shelter is hardly worth my time."

The comment hurts the son of Cruella De Vil. Clearly, this version of his mother is just as bad as his own, maybe even worse in some ways.

His wretched mother on the Isle hardly gave him anything, in fact, the only reason she'd had him in the first place was so she'd have someone to guard her furs collection. In fact, he had a lumpy mattress in a tiny room next to her furs closet as a bedroom and had to bypass all the bear traps meant to be a security system in order to actually feel safe. She didn't give him any attention, he was treated like one of her henchmen or even a slave; doing all her chores and her constant cruelty and berating of her own son. She'd made him afraid of dogs and deprived him of anything ideal; in fact, Evie had become his first friend because she gave him a pillow for the first time. He had not been sorry when he'd left the Isle and became the person he wanted to be, and he had the most loyal friend of all, Dude, a dog, which made his mother furious and gave him the satisfaction of finally being free of her influence. He had the love of Jane as his girlfriend and all this came from real love and affection; none of which came from his poor excuse for a mother.

The way this Cruella is treating him, makes him wonder that any version of Cruella De Vil should never have children. He starts regretting ever wondering where his mother was in this town because clearly, she was no picnic to interact with either.

"You're right, I'm sorry I disturbed you, good luck wherever you are," he mutters and then turns to leave. He reaches down onto the floor to retrieve the cloth that once covered the mirror, ready to put this incident of encountering his "alternate" mother behind him.

...

Meanwhile, in the Underworld, Cruella is fuming over what this bratty child has insinuated... her as a... mother. The thought made her want to vomit. She could hardly imagine it at all, she hated children, she thought they were wastes of space and the fact that her mother locked her away as a child, made her hate it even more. Children were meant to be locked up and kept away from everyone, that's what she'd learned. She also knew that it was because of a child that she was here. She'd abducted Henry Mills, the Saviour's son, she'd threatened to throw the worthless child off a cliff, taunting Emma Swan to find another way and that heroes don't kill, but instead she ended up being pushed off the cliff to her death. She'd encountered the idiot blonde again and tried to throw her into the River of Lost Souls as revenge, but was thwarted yet again, plus she'd lost her precious boy toy, James in the ensuing battle. Since losing her opportunity to go back to the land of the living, the woman had been stewing in hatred and despair for quite some time, "dying" a miserable existence in the world now ruled by King Arthur. She would never move on to a better life... she saw herself as the darkness that makes goodness possible and therefore the true hero of the story. In fact, she was eviller than the Dark One himself and a manifestation of true darkness.

But now, here stands a boy in her mirror, with awful white hair with black roots which was seemingly meant to match her own style in some ways and wore a horrendous outfit that had no fur accessories, claiming that she is his mother. It completely infuriates her and yet... he seems to be from the land of the living, obviously encountering this mirror that allowed her to see him and vice versa. He seemed to want to know more about her... this could be useful to her, in fact, this could be her ticket back to the world of the living. She would be able to unleash hell and finally get even with the wretched heroes of Storybrooke, especially the blonde Saviour.

Bite her ruby red lip very hard, hating the concept of being a mother, she swallows the bile in her throat and begins to talk sweetly. Her heart pounds against her chest as the boy seems to gather up a white sheet, realizing what he's about to do.

"Oh, darling boy... please... I'm sorry for my outburst, your information just... startled me and I acted horribly. Please, tell me your name..."

...

Back in Gold's shop, Carlos pauses as he's about to cover the mirror. The sweetness of her voice is almost hypnotic, a much better tone than his real mother ever spoke to him in. He stops and lets the sheet drop to gaze into the mirror again. The woman's hardened expression has seemingly softened and her blood red lips hued in the red coloured air seem to glow as she puts on a smile.

He's still hesitant, unsure of why her disposition changed so suddenly. Did she want something from him? Did she accept the fact that she was a mother? Or was she really just startled by the information as she claimed...?

"Why would you want to know that?" he says skeptically. "You said you weren't my mother."

"I'm sorry I got so angry with you, Child," Cruella continues. "But as you can see, I am not in the best place right now."

"Why? Where are you?" the son asks, inevitably drawn in by this woman.

"I am in the Underworld. Do you know what that means?"

Before Carlos can answer, he hears the sound of keys jingling and footsteps at the front door of the shop. He's in so much shock from this information that he barely has time to cover the mirror and try to hide before it opens with the ring of a bell. He ducks behind a glass case of artifacts and tries to hold his breath.

His mind is a whirlwind... the Underworld... His "alternate" mother is in the Underworld, like where Hades lives... Was she dead?

This realization makes him feel sad, despite how many times he'd wished the Grim Reaper would visit his own mother. The thought still makes him sick as Ben's father walks into the shop. His aged face is cast in half a shadow, very appropriate for the Dark One if Carlos can remember the story correctly. In light of the new information that he's received, he now has a new problem involving being caught in the Dark One's shop. He covers his hand with his mouth to muffle his breathing and tries to shrink into a tiny ball to avoid being detected. He can feel tears pushing to edges of his eyes as he sees the man through the thick glass of the display case.

Rumpelstiltskin stands in his shop for a long moment, much longer than Carlos would like him to. Did the imp know that he was here? What would he do if he was caught? He'd known that Uma had broken in the day before... would he be put in jail too?

The older man then goes behind the counter of his establishment, and rummages through some things, selects what he requires and then slowly walks back to the front door. Each footstep on the creaky wooden floorboards is agonizing for Carlos, his heart in his throat and the sweat beading on her forehead to maintain the position he is in. His body is aching in various places from crumpling up into a tight ball.

It is only when the bell rings again, signalling the front door opening and the firm slamming of the said door that the son of Cruella De Vil finally relaxes. He waits a few more moments before even moving, trying not to be caught. He slowly stands up, peering over the case to make sure that no one is there. He then turns back towards the covered mirror, ready to continue his conversation. He pulls off the sheet to realize that the once copper coloured frame has reverted back to black, the opaque haze and cracked looking-glass has reappeared. Upset that he didn't get a chance to continue with his mother, he reaches forward, ready to prick his finger again when his phone vibrates in his pocket. He curses under his breath.

He got a text from Jay.

Jay: Dude, where are you? Just woke up and am in the mood for pancakes. MM and David already here, plan to have a group meeting soon. Hope ur ready...

Groaning internally, Carlos takes another long glance at the mirror. He's desperate to know how his "alternate" mother died and why her demeanour changed so suddenly, but he knows if he stays away from his friends too long, they'll get suspicious, plus they should really be looking at ways to get home to their realm.

Praying that there will be enough time for him to visit the enchanted mirror again, the son of Cruella covers it with the sheet again and heads towards the door of the shop.

A/N: Sorry it's been a while, but here's a new chapter for you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.7K 905 10
☙I feel like I've known you my whole life and did I mention I'm in love with you.☙ /// ☙. I do not want to take away your dream because it was so bea...
6.1K 77 13
It's the last book! Audrey's back, and she's not happy about Mal and Ben's engagement. When she falls under the spell of the Dragon's Eye, she will b...
1.4K 2 44
Villain kids in Auradon? What could possibly go wrong? I DO NOT own the rights to Descendants. Just Marley and Luke. Marley x Luke Mal x Ben
46.9K 1K 15
Victoria is invited on short notice to Auradon, the good guys home. She tries to fit in but there's just one secret that won't let her relax. Childre...