L'affaire Bob

By Rarefan

Shortly after the death of his best friend Bob, Paul René is surprised by a visit from a mysterious woman he... More

Important Note
1. Who I Really Am
2. Surprise, surprise!
3. The Hidden Side Of My Best friend's Wife
4. Amazing ability, Double trouble
5. Time for jokes... or maybe not
6. Henry Pocker
7. To Share and Care
8. A New Nickname for the Great P
9. Quick introductions
10. Yeux d'Azur
11. Never Too Old For Tales
12. A New Bestfriend
13. Le Diner
14. Trust Nobody
15. On My Head
16. Palatial Headquarters
17. Missing The Misses
18. Let's talk
19. A Wonderful Trio
20. The Science Gang
21. "1, 2, 3... Action!"
22. AutOOPSIE
23. To Be Frankie, The Future Sucks
24. Pranks and Drinks, C'est Ma Vie
25. Drunk And Stockings
26. Frankenstein: Creepy. Lombard? Creepier.
27. I Slapped You, Let's Become Friends!
28. Underwear Buddy
29. La Taizah Familia
30. Dieticians And Maze Runners
31. 400€, You Say? Ha! It's Nothing.
32. Ugly-ing Ugly Faces: My New Hobby
33. Oh la la! Une Sorcière!
34. Rickypus And The Chauvinistic Pigs
35. Robertino y Gawgilino
36. How To Be a Gift From Heaven: A Guide
37. Finally Answers...
38. ...Sike! You thought ;)
39. Math's secrets
40. The Cortex Tone
41. User S1R1002
42. The Big Finale
SEQUEL

Prologue

1.1K 152 811
By Rarefan

"L'affaire Bob"(the Bob Case).

The title occupied almost the entire front page of my newspaper.

"L'affaire Bob...," I read again. Those two words had a strange yet captivating ring. Could they be talking about Bob's secret mission? But then, if they were, he would've told me everything about it before handing the reports to the press. The case written in today's papers must have been about someone else.

Since I hadn't heard of it before, I was quite curious to read and know more about it. Usually, most of Le Populaire's articles would simply be a summary of an investigation I have either worked on or heard about from my colleagues, so reading about one I did not know a single detail from was always an exciting experience. Whenever that would be the case, I would analyze each step or procedure the detectives made, to see if anyone would present new and ingenious techniques I could always sneak and use later on.

A jerk move? Not really. If one wanted to learn and progress, reading about other's experiences and mistakes was a must.

Placing my coffee mug over the desk, I directed my attention back to the paper in between my hands and started skimming through the story.

The article began with: "The fifties become the bloody years."

"Days after the attack in Lyon, a man was found dead streets away from the Champs-Elysées. Although bloodstains covered the victim's shirt, there were no signs of knife cuts or any kind of fighting injury in his chest."

I frowned at this. The phrasing of that paragraph sounded wrong, different than the ones I used to read. Could it be the first article of a newly recruited journalist?

If it was, I had to tell Le Populaire to edit this apprentice's writing. It was strange and discursive, not in the least concise and accurate.

My gaze traveled to the next few lines.

"The man, originally from England, was part of a private detectives' association.

His wife, Mrs. Smith, says she stayed at home and wasn't with her husband, Bob, during the incident..."

When I read that name, my hands began to shake.

"So the article was indeed about Bob," I thought bitterly.

But it was not in the least what I had suspected it to be. That article had taken an unimaginable turn.

But-- It couldn't be! Bob, that stupid, full-of-life Bob couldn't be gone. I had known him since we were children. We had grown together, graduated together, and even joined the same private detective's association. From the start, our love for mysteries and adventures had brought us closer.

Always apart, but never at heart.

That was our motto, our rule. But how could this still be true when one's heart stops to function and its beat dies forever?

A single tear slipped from my eye and rolled down my cheek. But I felt nothing. Not the wetness on my face, not the pulse in my ears.

And not even the pain in my heart that broke me and urged me to crawl in a corner and cry myself out.

Emptiness. That was all. That was everything I felt.

And through my currently foggy mind, a few thoughts tried to resurface.

"You have to find the clues," I heard Bob's words again. "Something horrible will happen...." 

I was a fool to have felt nothing coming. Yes, something horrible was going to happen. 

Or rather, had happened already. 

And I sensed, for my greatest misfortune, that something more horrible was yet to come.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
Perceptive By tom

Mystery / Thriller

36.6K 650 24
UPDATES ON EVERY TUESDAY! #EDITING Have you ever heard of dreams becoming reality? Reality becoming a question mark? When clouds of confusion blo...
21.5K 516 54
The beginning chapters of this story have been revised and rewritten. #2 out of 2.1K stories in secretlove- Oct 12, 2023 #7 in secretlove - Feb 6, 2...
42.6K 833 39
"You can't avoid me forever Lara" I chuckled "I'm ignoring you, you idiot" "Is it?" he slowly came towards me and pressed my body with his. Now I'm c...