Aneurin

By AliceBarnes

Never trust a fae. Never give them your name. Never fall for their tricks. Three simple rules that Enid sh... More

Chapter One ~ Aneurin
Chapter Two ~ Momento mori
Chapter Three ~ Never give them your name
Chapter Four ~ Tensions rise
Chapter Five ~ Vengence
Chapter Six ~ Repercussions
Chapter Seven ~ The Faery Dance
Chapter Eight ~ The Truth
Chapter Ten ~ Sacrifice
Chapter Eleven ~ Falling through time
Chapter Twelve ~ Land of the Faes
Chapter Thirteen ~ Prisoner
Chapter Fourteen ~ Knight in shining armour
Chapter Fifteen ~ Queen of Faery
Chapter Sixteen ~ Escape
Chapter Seventeen ~ Changeling
Chapter Eighteen ~ The Green Cloak
Chapter Nineteen ~ The Cave
Chapter Twenty ~ Into the trees
Chapter Twenty-one ~ Elfhame
Chapter Twenty-Two ~ The golden pool of Elfhame
Chapter Twenty-Three - The High Queen of Elfhame
Chapter Twenty-Four - Revelations and declarations
Chapter 25 - The heir and the spare

Chapter Nine ~ Lovers meeting

744 61 49
By AliceBarnes

Enid's fingers danced across the surface of the water. Her reflection rippled as the currents from the waterfall pushed the water downstream.

She sat in front of the pool, leaning forward and resting her hands on the grassy verge.

Her hair fell forward, almost brushing against the surface of the pool. She tilted her head, watching with a smile as the water reflected her movements.

"Enid?" Aneurin appeared from behind the trees on the opposite side of the pool.

"Aneurin." She stood, her eyes following him as he made his way around the water's edge to stand before her.

"Do you know why I asked you to meet me here tonight?" A smile lifted at his lips, his fingers reaching out to lightly brush her cheek.

Enid shook her head, shivering gently as the cold wind blew through the fabric of her gown.

"Are you cold?" Aneurin asked, concern clouding his eyes.

"A little." Enid bit her lip, trying to suppress it. Wordlessly, Aneurin unclasped his cloak and wrapped it around her shoulders.

With one swift tug, he had pulled her close, his hands clutching to the cloak. His warmth radiating over to her.

"Will you not get cold?"

"Faes do not feel the cold."

"Then why do you wear a cloak?"

He laughed, his face lighting up.

"It helps me to blend in with my surroundings." Under the crescent moon, his skin glowed and shimmered.

"Why would you want to blend in?"

Aneurin smiled affectionately and his eyes became gentle.

"Because not everyone is as lovely as you are."

She blushed, pulling her eyes away from the strength of his gaze to look at the waterfall.

"Thank you." Was all she could think to say, daring to meet his eyes once more.

"Enid."

"Yes?"

"You don't need to thank me."

She smiled up at him.

"I don't?" She replied, her eyes glancing between his eyes and lips.

"No." His voice was a whisper now, smooth and velvety, as he leaned in closer to her.

Enid now openly eyed his lips, before flicking her eyes up to meet his. Aneurin was already watching her, his eyes half closed.

Her breath tangled in her lungs. It was as though he were an ancient God, greater than humankind was or will ever be.

She moved closer to him until there was no space between them at all and all that surrounded her was him. He smelled of the earth, of dewdrops and of the forest, it was utterly entrancing.

His breath fanned over her cheeks and neck. Unconsciously, she leaned in until their lips were almost touching.

Hesitating, she stopped. What was she doing?

She began to pull back but his fingers hooked beneath her chin, pulling her back with them.

Enid lost herself in his eyes, that were always so sure and affectionate.

And then he kissed her.

His warm lips caressed hers and she was undone.

His arms moved to her waist, gripping it and bringing her into the delicious warmth of his chest. Beneath his touch, Enid trembled, her knees threatening to give way beneath her.

When he pulled away she felt as though she had lost a part of herself and wanted it to start all over again.

Aneurin closed his eyes, resting his forehead against hers. His arms remained wrapped around her waist. And at that moment, she would not have wished to be anywhere else in the world.

Enid did not dare to speak, not even whisper. She did not wish to break the moment.

Time seemed to stand still and so as long as she stayed here in his arms she knew she would be safe.

But that was not to be.

Reluctantly, he pulled away from her, his thumb brushing against her cheek.

"I need to go." A faint flicker of disappointment flashed in his eyes the very moment the words left his lips.

"Don't be too disappointed though, I am always watching over you, little one."

He smiled brightly and became a work of art. And then, just as quickly as he had come, he had once again disappeared into the trees.

Had it not been for his cloak still wrapped around her, she would have thought it all a dream

And what a beautiful dream it would have been.

In a heightened state, Enid walked back through the forest to her family's cottage.

The house was dark and quiet, just as she had left it.

Stepping inside, she gently pushed the door shut behind her.

To her horror, her mother was sat by the fire. Upon hearing the door shut, she turned to face Enid.

"Enid, you have a new cloak I see."

Stiffly, Enid looked down at the cloak wrapped around her shoulders.

"Where have you been?" Her mother rose from her seat, slowly making her way towards her like a wolf stalking its prey.

"I went to the waterfall."

"Why the waterfall so late at night?"

"I couldn't sleep."

Her mother scoffed.

"Did you really think I wouldn't know he was a Fae?"

"He's not like the others, he is different!" Enid replied, tears welling up in her eyes. Any moment now her mother would lock her in her room and never allow her to see Aneurin again.

"Different? It's all an act, Enid. Those are a girls words and like a girl he has treated you!-" She flung her hand into the air before her, pointing a finger at Enid "-do not think I raised you to be so foolish. I already have had one foolish daughter and she was murdered! Do not think I am going to lose you as well!"

She began to weep, her hand shaking as she lifted it to her lips.

"Mother, he is very kind to me. He is a good Fae. The Fae that killed Rose had dark hair, darkness was all it knew. But Aneurin...he is of the light, mama." She whispered, salty tears running down her cheeks.

Her mother outstretched her arms and brought Enid into a hug. Pressing a kiss to her head and sobbing into her hair.

"Oh Enid, I have two of my girls married off already, you are all I have left."

Beyond the small window, the Fae ring lit up in the moon's light. It was then that Enid realised one thing: she had come across the faes for a reason, it was with them that her destiny lay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 1.5K 36
❛ I was afraid, yes. Frightened to the bone and undoubtedly exactly where they wanted me to be. I just stopped showing it. Stopped giving them more r...
56 4 5
After a betrayal by those she considered family, a girl finds herself in Ssenkrad, a forbidden land where magic-wielding Fae reside. She is soon take...
71.5K 5.1K 52
|Book 2| Andorra isn't human. She's also not just the Fae Princess everyone thinks she is. She's running out of time, running out of ideas, and runni...
60.4K 4.8K 68
|Book 3| Andorra is no closer to taking the throne than when she first entered Anlithamy. Her worst nightmare has come true, and her enemies are clos...