Let Me Remember

By xxDorkie

On a snowy day in the woods, Callianne found an unconscious boy on the brink of death. She felt an unusual co... More

Let Me Remember
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

48 3 1
By xxDorkie

A woman appeared from behind the trees. She wore a long white cloak that covered everything but her head and neck.

 “Do I know you?” Callianne asked her. The woman seemed familiar but she couldn’t remember when or where she saw her before.

The woman smiled sadly. “No, you don’t know me, but you will.” She looked at the locket that hung on Callianne’s neck.

 “That locket belonged to my family for generations.” She explained.

 “Maria said that my birth mom gave me this locket.” Callianne said.

 “And she’s right.” The woman didn’t offer any more explanation.

 “Who are you?” Callianne asked rudely.

 “Patience is a virtue my dear, you’ll find out soon enough.”

 “Why can’t you tell me now?” Callianne was getting frustrated.

The woman frowned. “Something is blocking me from you. I can’t stay here any longer or they’ll know.” She turned to walk back the way she came from before saying one last thing. “Don’t worry dear; we’ll see each other again”

Callianne tried to run after her, but something was stopping her, looking around her she noticed that the trees and the grass were slowly fading away. She remained where she was as she watched the beautiful meadow fading into nothingness.

Callianne woke up to the ringing of her alarm clock. The number six was blinking annoyingly at her as she squinted, trying to block some of the sunlight from hurting her eyes.

 “Callianne, time to wake up. That is, if you want a ride to school!” Maria cried out from the other side of the door.

 “I’m awake!” Callianne yelled burying her head under her pillow.

 “Good,” Maria walked in without bothering to knock. Sitting at the edge of Callianne’s bed she pulled up the pillow. “I’ve decided to take the day off and using today to get some things ready.” She said.

 “What kind of things?” Callianne said suddenly interested, as far as she knew, Maria had never taken a day off work before.

 “Well, first of all; Dr. Caldwell called me this morning to tell me that John Doe has woken up and he doesn’t remember anything. So I have to go get some necessities for him, also I’m going to get your car this afternoon.”

 “Why can’t I come get my car?” Callianne asked in a whiny voice, she really wanted to be there to choose her baby.

 “I know what you’ll like sweetheart, trust me.” She kissed Callianne’s forehead before getting up. “Go get dressed now; you have to eat breakfast since you missed it yesterday.” She said closing the door to give Callianne some privacy.

 “Can’t know who the woman was, can’t choose my own car, next thing you know I won’t be able to dress myself.” She muttered as she heard Maria’s soft footsteps on the stairs. Groaning, she got out of bed and went into the bathroom to do her morning routine.

                *                              *                              *             

Maria watched her daughter head into the school with a frown. She wasn’t supposed to be drinking the tea so soon. Something was wrong and she had a feeling that the boy had something to do with it. She was supposed to have more time.

Sighing as she drove out of the school parking lot she reached for her Bluetooth and made a phone call to a number that she knew by heart, yet she never used it.

 “Ms. Montgomery, so nice to see your number on my screen.” A sarcastic voice chimed.

 “I’m not calling for myself doctor and you know that very well.” She snapped back at him, her patience was running, last night that hag had tried to contact Callianne and she couldn’t let that happen.

 “Of course of course, what can I do for you today Maria?” The voice suddenly turned into a serious tone.

 “She had a migraine yesterday.” Maria said simply.

 “Everyone has migraines Maria, if you’re telling me that this is the only reason you called me...” the voice faded as the doctor left that sentence hanging.

Maria sighed exasperatedly, “Let me make this clearer; she had a migraine right after saving a dying boy from the woods near the house.”

 “Oh, that is big. Did you give her the potion? That should stop everything until he’s ready.”

Maria rolled her eyes, those people always thought that she couldn’t do anything; she was going to show them. “Yes I have doctor, I’m not stupid.”

 “Could’ve fooled me.” His muffled voice could still be heard despite the fact that he was obviously trying to be quiet.

 “I heard you doctor.” Maria snapped.

 “So sorry dear, but I’m failing to see the point of this conversation. You seem to have everything in order.” The doctor said.

Maria rolled her eyes once again. “The point of the conversation is to tell you that I need more of whatever it is that you send me every month. I’m running out and she’ll need two doses everyday now, instead of a little bit in her usual tea.”

 “Fine, we’re going to send someone with another batch right away, but remember that too much of it would result in her having hallucinations.” The doctor added the last part quickly.

 “You couldn’t have told me that sooner?” Maria asked him, she had to give Callianne a lot to make that hag stay away.

 “I thought it was obvious.” The doctor answered in a straight voice. “Is something wrong?”

 “No everything’s just fine.” Maria said angrily. “Just make sure that you send that batch as soon as possible.” She snapped one last time before turning off the Bluetooth and throwing it on the passenger seat.

Arriving at the hospital, she made her way to John Doe’s room. Looking at him from the window she noticed that he seemed awfully healthy for someone who was stabbed multiple times, and was unconscious only a couple of hours ago.

He was watching a TV show with such concentration that he didn’t notice her at first, but Maria’s dark business suit stuck out like a sore thumb in the middle of the hospital hallway. He looked at her with great interest.

Finally having caught his eye, Maria went into his room. “Hello, I’m Maria.” She said warmly.

 “You’re the one who agreed to take me in?” He asked politely.

 “Yes, my daughter, Callianne, was the one who found you.” Maria explained.

He nodded before looking down at his breakfast. There was an awkward silence, neither one wanted to break it first.

 “Thank you.” He said suddenly snapping his head back up. “Thank you for taking me in.” He continued in a quieter tone.

 “You’re welcome. Now, I got you some clothes since the ones you were wearing are ruined. I estimated your size so they might not fit perfectly.” She said busying herself with the bag that she had in hand.

 “When did you get those clothes?” He asked her.

 “I got them yesterday right before the store closed.” She smiled a motherly smile before leaving the clothes with him.

John Doe starred at the clothes for a full ten seconds before getting up slowly and going to the bathroom. The doctors were all astonished when Dr. Caldwell came to check up on him this morning to find him wide awake and not in any sort of pain, but he still had to be careful when he moved to make sure the stitches were still intact.

After dressing himself in his new clothes he walked out of the bathroom feeling like a new person. Maria was sitting on one of the plastic chairs waiting for him; she smiled once she saw him.

 “I’m glad that the clothes fit you.” She said getting up. “Why don’t you finish your breakfast while I sign you out?” She suggested, but left before he could give her his answer.

Looking at the hospital breakfast he scrunched up his nose. Wherever he came from, he wasn’t used to such a meagre breakfast. He looked around for something to put the breakfast in, when he spotted the trash can.

 “I’m not hungry and it’s not like anyone will miss it.” He said to himself before dumping his uneaten breakfast into the trash. Smiling in satisfaction, he walked out slowly. 

Continue Reading