Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop ✒ W...

By hogsmeadecommunity

In which the admins provide effective tips and tricks to improve your writing skills. More

Disclaimer
A Basic Overview Of Fanfiction
Section One: Lessons On Writing Fanfictions
Lesson 1: Where to start from when writing a fanfic?
Lesson 2: How to come up with great ideas?
Lesson 3: How to start a fanfic?
Lesson 4: How to write a good description?
Lesson 5: How to pick the correct writing style and narration?
Lesson 6: What should be the title of a fanfic?
Lesson 7: How to test your ideas?
Lesson 8: What is Character Development?
Lesson 9: Why are dialogues important?
Lesson 10: How to string scenes together?
Lesson 12: How to come up with intriguing characters?
Lesson 13: What are AUs and how to write them?
Lesson 14: What are the different types of writing styles you can use?
Lesson 15: How to write an Endgame Couple?
Lesson 16: What are Antagonists and how to write them?

Lesson 11: What is meant by the perfect plot twist?

42 10 13
By hogsmeadecommunity

The key tool used for giving your book an unexpected turn and lead on the readers down a path they had not initially thought of, is a cleverly thought out plot twist. Plot twists can be great when used effectively but if not done in the right way, they can also completely ruin your book/fanfic.

So let us discuss plot twists in detail; the ways to properly plant a plot twist, writing it effectively and making sure that it does not twist up your story far too unnecessarily.

***

What is meant by a plot twist (literally)?

A plot twist is an unexpected development in a book, film, TV show etc. In other words, a plot twist is a change in the expected direction or outcome of the plot of a novel, film, television series, comic, video game, or other work of narrative. It is a common practice in narration used to keep the interest of an audience, usually surprising them with a revelation.

Why are plot twists important?

Everyone loves surprises and plot twists ensure to give your readers a well earned surprise. The whole story builds up to the twist which in turn is revealed to the readers as a surprise. Writers take special pleasure in blowing the reader's mind away through introducing a clever plot twist. This not only makes the reader more involved, it also hooks him/her in the story to find out what would be the effects on the characters as well as the overall plot of the story after experiencing such a change.

What are the most essential attributes of a good plot twist?

1. It must be sound in terms of narration. That stated, you must keep n mind that the twist is not too random or out of the blue with respect to your story. Even though you are going to surprise readers, still you have to make it believable.

2. It must be unexpected. Readers like to think of possible scenes that may happen next while they are reading a book. So to create a good plot twist, you need to keep all the possible assumptions in mind and design a twist that does not meet the list of those assumptions.

3. It might be foreshadowed. Notice that with the above two points, a must was included however that's not the case for this one. Foreshadowing is totally your choice whether you want to do it or not. Personally, I like to foreshadow plot twists so that the reader can relate when he/she goes through the story again and discovers hints. This further establishes and strengthens the reader's connection and involvement to the story.

What are the seven main types of plot twists?

Following are the seven types of plot twists:

1. Anagnorisis: Anagnorisis literally means discovery. Therefore, any plot twist in which the main character discovers something which changes the whole perspective of the story is classified under this type.

2. Deus ex machina: It is a Latin word that means God out of the machine. It is the introduction of an unexpected event or person who solves the problem.

3. False protagonist: In this type, the main character is not the true main character and he/she is disposed off unexpectedly. From then on the plot takes a turn and it is revealed that the main character was actually some other person who totally escaped the reader's notice earlier but after the twist, the puzzle pieces fall into place and it all starts to make sense.

4. Peripeteia: Peripeteia is a sudden reversal of the protagonist's fortune, whether for good or ill, that emerges naturally from the character's circumstances.

5. Poetic justice: Poetic justice occurs when a character is rewarded or punished for his her actions. It is a widely used ending for most literary works. 

6. Red Herring: Red herrings are also known as false clues. In this type, the reader is going in the wrong direction through his/her assumptions because the writer has cleverly planted false clues into the story. And through the plot twist, the reader finally realizes the actual track on which the story is headed to.

7. Unreliable Narrator: You can have a lot of fun with this type. An unreliable narrator is someone who seems believable and trustworthy at first, the reader begins to visualize the whole story through his/her eyes but after a plot twist, he/she is revealed to be untruthful.

What are common examples of plot twists used in literature/movies?

Here are examples for some of the seven types discussed above :

Anagnorisis:

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. In a pivotal battle, Luke discovers that Darth Vader, his ultimate nemesis, is actually his father.

2. Angels & Demons. Robert Langdon is shocked by the revelation that the late pope's aide is actually His Holyness's son — conceived through artificial insemination.

3. Shutter Island. During an investigation of a disappearance from a remote asylum, U.S. Marshal Edward "Teddy" Daniels realizes that he himself is the missing patient — and the husband and murderer of the woman that he had been trying to locate.

Red herring:

1. Fight Club. The narrator of the movie meets Tyler Durden, a soap salesman, and together they start a local "Fight Club." In time, he realizes that he himself is Tyler Durden.

2. Gone Girl. Amy Dunne is revealed to be alive — and also the mastermind behind the framing of her husband, Nick Dunne, for her own "death."

3. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Dr. James Sheppard, the first-person narrator of the novel, comes out as the murderer in the case that Hercule Poirot had been investigating.

Unreliable narrator:

1. Atonement. Not until the postscript is it revealed that Briony Tallis had fabricated the previous sections of her story to give Robbie Turner and Cecilia Tallis the happy ending that they never got because of her.

2. Life of Pi. Pi Patel tells a story about cannibalization and survival on the open sea that may or may not be about zoo animals.

3. Never Let Me Go. Kathy, the narrator, holds back the truth that she and all of her classmates at Hailsham are actually clones who are raised to have their organs harvested.

***

Some important things to keep in mind before you craft a plot twist:

1. Do not introduce the plot twist whenever you like. It should occur at the climax of the story. are usually most effective after some careful setup. You need to lay the ground rules before you twist them.

2. Don't be obvious. The plot twist should be unexpected such that on the first read, the reader is not able to guess it but afterwards it makes sense as to why the twist was inserted there.

3. Don't show your card too soon. Foreshadowing is essential for a plot twist but that doesn't mean that you will drop off clues everywhere in the story. Otherwise, the reader will be able to guess what will happen, and it won't be a twist at all. Withhold the information until it cannot be withheld any longer. This helps to increase the tension within your story.

4. Use plot twists sparingly. Do not overuse plot twists or else your story will go completely off track and there will be no particular direction for you to continue on. The less you use this literary device, the more surprised your reader will be.

5. You can use your plot twist to propel your story into action. In the middle of your story, characters can grow stagnant. When they're plodding along towards a vague goal, it's easy to get stuck in the mundane. This is the perfect time to insert a plot twist. 

6. They can also be used to reveal more about a significant character, such as by planting plot twists within a character's backstory. This way, you can reveal something about the character that catches the reader off guard. Perhaps the character killed someone in the past. Maybe they are the long-lost daughter of the antagonist. Once the reader finds out, it changes everything.

7. Another way to introduce a plot twist is within a flashback. When done correctly, a flashback should always reveal something of interest. But, your flashback can also change the entire trajectory of your story. However, you have to be conscious of the time and setting of your story when introducing a flashback.

8. And when you are finally writing out the plot twist, go through all the types of plot twists, select the one which would fit your story best and set it in action.

***

References (just in case you want to check out the resource material from which this chapter was crafted):

https://blog.reedsy.com/plot-twist-ideas-examples/

https://nybookeditors.com/2018/02/all-about-plot-twists/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_twist

https://filmschoolrejects.com/plot-twist-checklist/

https://rachelpoli.com/2017/06/20/the-importance-of-plot-twists-mystery-month/

***

Hope this chapter was helpful. If you have any further questions, feel free to comment.

~Imaan.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 180K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
6M 47.5K 55
Welcome to The Wattpad HQ Community Happenings story! We are so glad you're part of our global community. This is the place for readers and writers...
12.4K 525 25
Jordan has heard the stories of 'The Great Sam And Dean Winchester'. She meets them at a small town bar, well, mostly she meets Dean. She is doing re...
3.1K 59 10
Third book in the Eleanor in Narnia Series. Eleanor hasn't seen Peter in months since he and Susan left for America leaving her and the two younger P...