The Milkshake Project

By beetleb22

It was the height of sock hops and jukeboxes. The time when Rock 'n Roll was the soul of the nation and milks... More

Such a Night
Black Denim Trousers
Oh, Boy!
School Days
At The Hop
The Fool
The Book of Love
Lollipop
Walking After Midnight
Shake, Rattle, and Roll
Splish Splash
To Know Him...
Ain't That A Shame
...Is to Love Him
All The Way
The Great Pretender
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
Sincerely
Silhouettes
Rock and Roll Waltz
Love Me Tender
Fade Away
That'll Be The Day

Rave On

247 15 4
By beetleb22

On my way to school the next day, Jack joined me along the main road.

"Hey Ellie!" He said, coming up behind me, "Jazzed for tonight?"

"Hey, Jack," I said with a giggle, "Actually, I really am. I guess I was so blinded by the people around me that I didn't see that you're actually a pretty decent guy."

"Well, I'm glad to hear you've moved on from that greaser, especially after what he did to you. I swear, I'll kill the punk the next time I see him."

"Just ice it, okay? I'm done thinking about him."

"Alright, babe."

Jack draped an arm over my shoulder, and we walked into the schoolyard together. I shuttered as his arm weighed down on me, but I never let my smile falter.  Over by the steps, Bonnie and Dusty stood talking with one another. When Bonnie noticed me walking up with Jack, I had to refrain from laughing at her expression.

We greeted the two of them, Jack and Dusty doing a handshake before Jack's arm was back around my shoulders.

"Hey, Jack, I've been meaning to ask you about the homework in Coach's class," Dusty said.

"Wait, Babe," Bonnie cut in, "Before you two get in to it, I need to talk to Ellie in private."

"Oh, yeah. Sure thing," Jack said, letting me out of grip, "So I think Coach wanted us to..."

Bonnie drug me to the other side of the steps behind the railing.

"Okay, what's going on?" she questioned.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You know. You and him all hugged up like that."

"Bonnie, I told you I was giving Jack another chance."

"Yeah, but... I thought... Gee, Eleanor, doesn't this seem a little fast?"

I shrugged.

"I did see Rider last night," I said.

"Well, what happened?" Bonnie asked, "Didn't you guys talk? I mean..."

"We did talk. You know, it's kind of funny. Izzy came to my door at nearly eight last night, and convinced me to go talk to Rider. Now that I think about it, I don't know how she could possibly know where I live."

Bonnie crossed her arms and looked away.

"Bonnie," I asked, "Did you get Izzy to come to my house last night?"

"I may have given her a call."

"Bonnie!"

"Ellie, I know you don't want anything to do with him anymore, but he's..."

"Bonnie."

"I'm sorry, but you two just needed to talk..."

"Bonnie."

"I just don't get why..."

"Bonnie, I'm not going out with Jack ."

"What?" Bonnie gaped, "But, you and Jack..."

"Let's just say he and another thorn in my side are in for a shock," I said.

I told Bonnie the whole story of what Chrissy and Jack had done and how we were going to get them back.

"Wait, so are you and Rider..." Bonnie asked.

"Yes, we are," I finished.

"Oh, Ellie!" Bonnie cheered, "I'm so glad you guys are back together!"

"I am too, Bonnie, but we gotta keep it down," I said, looking back to see Jack watching from the stairs, "Come on."

We started back over towards him.

"Now," I said, "You've got to tell how you and Izzy pulled off that act."

"Well, it wasn't all that hard," she said, "I called Dusty and he called the football team manager, Jimmy."

"Why him?"

"Well, you see, Jimmy owes Dusty a favor since Dusty kept his mouth shut after finding out Jimmy's little secret. Anyway, Jimmy called one of his girlfriends and she called her other boyfriend. His 2nd cousin is talking to a girl who's brother is going steady with Izzy Hale's best friend. She got me Izzy's number, and, within ten minutes of me calling her, Izzy was at your door."

"I don't know whether to hug you or smack you," I laughed.

"Everything alright?" Jack asked as we walked back up to them.

"Perfect," I said, giving Bonnie a look.

Jack rested his arm around my shoulder again, and the four of us walked into the school.

~

In Human Ethics, I sat alone at my table working on the essay. Across the room, the door swung open.

"Mr. Hale," Mr. McDaniel said, and many people turned around to glance at me, "Nice of you to join us."

"Aw," Rider smirked, "I didn't realize how much you missed me, Teach."

"Hm, indeed. Take your seat."

People turned in their chairs as Rider strode in, their heads following him as he plopped down next to me. Eyes lingered on the two of us, a couple people beginning to whisper amongst themselves. I noticed Chrissy peaking over her shoulder, too.

I waited there, reading over my words while Rider pulled out one of our library books. Close to the end of class, Rider slipped his hand under the table and grabbed hold of mine. He held it for a moment, stroking the top of my fingers before giving it a quick squeeze. Rider then stood up and walked towards the front of the room. He grabbed an empty chair and pulled it up to Chrissy's desk, sitting in it backwards right next to her. Glancing up, I saw him talking with her while her red lips pulled up into a big smile. When the bell rang, I got up and left Rider behind.

~

At lunch, I sat down with Bonnie and Dusty.

"Did he do it?" Bonnie asked.

"Yeah, he did," I said.

"What's going on?" Dusty asked, looking between us.

"You'll see," Bonnie replied with a pat to his shoulder.

"Hey, how about you guys meet me and Jack at Freddie's tonight. Say, about 7:00?" I asked.

"Okay, what are you two up to?" Dusty asked.

"Don't worry," Bonnie said, "Nothing too bad."

Bonnie and I shared a knowing look, of which Dusty caught.

"Oh, boy," he sighed.

~

Jack rang the doorbell at seven o'clock on the dot. I waved to my mom before heading out the door. Jack greeted me as I stepped out onto the porch.

"Woah," he said, "You look great."

"Why, thank you, Jack," I replied.

That evening, I had curled my hair and put on a little more makeup than I usually do. Not too much but enough to get some attention, and all I wanted was Jack's.

We got in his car and drove to Freddie's. The drive wasn't filled with any interesting conversation, just small talk between Jack and I. When we got to Freddie's, the restaurant was packed with the Friday night dinner rush. Inside, though, Jack's teammates had saved us a booth along the windows. They waved at us when we entered, giving up the table as we made our way into the diner. Across the way, I could see Bonnie and Dusty sitting at the counter. Bonnie glanced at me before turning back around and whispering to Dusty.

As we walked across the diner, a tall figure suddenly stood up from a booth and bumped into Jack.

"Woah, man," Jack said turning to face the clumsy guy, "Hey what's..."

Jack trailed off as the guy turned, and Rider glared down at Jack. Coming to Rider's side form the booth was Chrissy, all dolled up with a brand-new shade of red lipstick. I mimicked her, grasping Jack's bicep looking from her to Rider. The diner had fallen quiet as the other patrons looked on at the tense scene.

"What the hell are you doing here, Hale?" Jack snapped.

"It is a free country, Jackie," Rider retorted.

Jack stepped forward, winding up his fist. Rider didn't flinch, but I jumped in and held back Jack's arm.

"Come on, Jack," I said, pulling his arm down, "He's not worth a sock."

Jack continued to stare down Rider as I pulled him back towards our booth.

"Yeah, Rider," Chrissy said, dragging him in the opposite direction, "Just forget him."

We sat down in the booth right behind them, me sitting with my back to Rider. A waitress from the kitchen came over to Jack and I.

"What'll it be, you two?" She asked, popping her gum.

"Oh, I'll have the hamburger and chips," Jack said.

"Gotcha."

"I'll just have French fries and a milkshake," I said, "Strawberry, please."

"Alright, I'll put it in," the waitress said, taking up our menus and walking away.

"Only fries and a milkshake?" Jack asked.

"Yeah," I said, "I'm not a big diner-person."

"That's okay. We're not here for the food anyway."

"Right."

Once the food came, I nibbles on my fries and made small talk with Jack. I just smiled along as he talked about this, that, and the other; though, all of which seemed to be football oriented. About the time he got around to telling me about the greatest plays he's made, I bumped my fork off the table and it skittered across the floor.

"Oops," I said.

"Here, I'll get it," Jack offered, but I quickly stood up.

"No, no. I got it." I said, grabbing the milkshake off the table, "I think they put malt in my milkshake by accident. I'll take it back to the counter on my way."

As I walked over to the utensil, Bonnie got up and walked past me to Rider and Chrissy's booth. I heard her tell Chrissy someone had called for her on the phone.

"Oh, it's probably my mom," she said, "I'll be right back, Rider."

I bent down and picked up the fork as Chrissy got up from her seat. Bonnie backed up and turned around, and I stood up. Bonnie crashed directly into me, and I dropped the milkshake just as Chrissy walked by.

With a sharp crash, the milkshake glass shattered against the tile and sent the creamy liquid everywhere. Chrissy gasped as pink gloop splattered all over her skirt and top. At the commotion, the diner went quite save for the jukebox playing in the background.

"Oh, my God!" Chrissy shrieked, "You germ!"

Rider was on his feet and at Chrissy's side in an instant.

"Hey! What are doing throwin' slurg on my girl?" Rider said, stepping in front of Chrissy.

I had to give a scoff to hide my smile.

"Cool it, Greaser. I didn't mean it," I said.

"Oh, yeah?" Rider asked.

Jack jumped up and joined in, getting in front of me.

"Hey! Back off, Hale," Jack said, shoving Rider back.

Suddenly, Freddie came out from behind the counter and got between the boys.

"Woah! Woah!" he said, "Don't make me call the sheriff on you boys. Cut it out or get out of here."

I grabbed Jack's arm and pulled him back, dragging him away from Rider.

"Come on, let's get out of here. I'd rather not be in here with that thug anyway," I said, turning my back.

"She's more beautiful," Rider said from behind me.

I stopped and turned around.

"She stronger," he said, and I threw Jack's hand away.

Behind him, Chrissy was alternating between smiling at Rider and smirking at me, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from doing so myself.

"She likes to dance, and she showed me how to dance slow," Rider continued, "She is cool, and funny, and one of the best people I know."

As I stood there, I opened my palm. Some of the other girls in the diner covered their eyes at the telltale sign of a coming slap.

"But the best thing she is," Rider said, looking down on me as I stopped in front of him, "the one thing that makes her better than any girl I have ever been with, is just her. She gave me a chance, and that means everything to me."

I raised my palm, and the diner took in a breath. I made as if I was going to hit him, but slowed to a gentle touch as I made contact with Rider's cheek. My other hand joined on the other side as I cupped Rider's face. Rider, in turn, wrapped his arms around my back and hoisted me up. I looked down into Rider's brown eyes, leaned down, and kissed him.

I could feel Rider smile against my lips, and I couldn't help but smile back. We probably only kissed for a couple seconds but it felt like we held each other for hours. When Rider finally put me down, we stayed in each other's arms for a moment before turning around.

Chrissy wore a look of pure shock, and Jack's face wasn't too far off. The pair stood their gawking at Rider and I. Looking around, I saw Bonnie covering the grin on her face, while Dusty chuckled at the presentation. The rest of the diner was a mix between these expressions. Some people looked on in disbelief while others smiled.

"What do you think you're doing with my girl, Hale?" Jack said, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards him.

"I am not your girl, Jack," I said, pulling my arm out of his grasp and walking back to Rider's side, "and it'll be a month of Sunday's before I'll ever even consider it. There's nowhere I'd rather be than right here."

Jack stood their dumbfounded.

"What's got you buggin'?" Rider asked, "Your little bogus set up didn't work?"

A collective "oooh" fell over the diner. Chrissy turned red as people started whispering to one another, and I turned to her.

"Don't worry, Chrissy," I said, "At least, it won't leave a stain."

She short one last glare at me before running out of the diner. Jack, however, stood his ground and walked up to Rider. He stopped just short of Rider 's face, glaring so coldly at him that a shiver went down my spine. Rider nodded to Freddie as he wiped the countertop.

"How's a weekend in the cooler gonna look on your reputation, Jackie?" Rider asked, "Me? I've got nothing to lose."

Jack clenched his fist, but didn't raise his arms. From where I stood, I could see Jack threatening Rider as he looked him dead in the eyes. He stood their for a beat, Rider daring him to do something. Then, without breaking his glare, Jack backed off and only looked away as he turned out the door.

The door swung shut with a hard thud and, I ran into Rider's arms. A couple people started applauding for us like spectators of a theatrical play while Bonnie came over.

"That was unreal!" Bonnie exclaimed as she gave me a hug, "Gee, I wasn't sure what was going to happen there for a second."

"Well, I think they get it now," Dusty said, "I think the whole school gets it."

Rider and I looked around at the watchful eyes of our school peers.

"Good," I said, "Now there won't be any doubt."

Rider hugged me close to him, and I looked up into his eyes. We both laughed, partly because of the strangely new feeling of the situation and partly because we finally felt that freedom from all the melodrama from the past week.

"That's all well and nice, kids," Freddie said as he came out, broom and mop in hand, "But, I can't have glass all over my dining floor."

"Yes, sir," I laughed, taking the broom.

Rider took the mop.

"Hey, Freddie," Rider said, and Freddie turned back to us, "Thanks."

Freddie smiled.

"Don't mention it," he said, "You be good to that girl of yours, just don't make such a mess next time."

"I'll try," Rider chuckled.

Freddie smiled at me and winked, and I laughed.

"What you said was really sweet," I told him as I swept the glass into the dustpan.

"Well, I'm glad Jack let me get to it," Rider said, "Although, I may need a few more lessons on the whole dancing-slow bit."

"I'll consider that our next project. By the way, did you think of any ideas for our essay?"

"Dolly, after this week, all I'm thinking about is getting a hamburger after this."

"Care if I join you?" I asked, crossing the room and dumping the shards, "I think I'm feeling up for a milkshake."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

936K 25.4K 35
In most people eyes Samantha Brooks was as good as they came, she spent her nights studying and never bothered with boys. She never drank nor did dru...
4.7M 154K 76
When good girl highschooler Ellie falls in love with an ex-convict, old family secrets come back to haunt them and keep them apart. ...
145 31 19
Jasmine Watterson your average high school girl with good grades and a best friend Rosie. Oh and let's not forget her six brothers who never miss th...
169K 2.4K 21
Welcome to the life of teen fiction and teen romance be prepared to meet the mind of the younger generation... Well the extreme side anyways ;) Cool...