BORN TO BE AN AVENGER

By thatstoreonthecorner

"Kid, you were born to be an Avenger." Albany Bynes is a 16... More

NOTES
CAST
01: Taco Extravaganza
02: New and Unwanted Discoveries
03: Tony Truly is a Billionaire
04: Papa Clint
05: Game Changers
06: Sting Ray Appears
08: Not Your Average Fever

07: Great to Really Bad

1.8K 55 11
By thatstoreonthecorner

"I know! My phone has unlimited storage, Tony can keep adding more. But it's not like I even need all that. I'm barely on my phone anyway." Albany replied to Marshall's previous statement. The couple sat in Marshall's Red Honda Civic, parked in a Portillo's parking lot. They had already ate, but still had so much to say to each other. So, the two munched on fries and told stories. Well, mainly Albany told stories.

"That's awesome. Maybe he can hook something up for me." Marshall spoke, taking a fry out of the bag. "I can't believe you are hanging out with the Avengers. Does every intern get to do that?"

Albany thought for a moment, she didn't exactly know. A guess would have to do. "No, not really. I think we just made a connection after I was found, but Clint told me they would visit less often to let me focus on my work. Interns mainly see Stark, he runs it all." She lied. "It seems some good did come out of this accident." Albany shrugged.

"It feels like weeks since I've seen you."

"I think years." Albany laughed. "I'm sorry I don't call you more-" She was cut off.

"No-- it's fine. You were literally hanging out with the Avengers. Earth's Mightiest Heroes! I would be a bit preoccupied too." He chuckled, assuring her guilty face. He was always so genuinely kind, it blew her mind.

Albany giggled. "More like passed out on the floor from excitement. I can see why you like them, they're pretty great people."

"And they kick ass."

"That too."

Albany ran her hands through her hair. Seeing Marshall relieved so much stress, but also made her feel awful for lying right to his face. Usually, he could catch when she tried to lie. It wouldn't be too long before he starts to get suspicious. The longer Albany stayed, the more fishy things would get. Even currently he wasn't all convinced. The fact that his best friend was living with the Avengers left his mind a bit distracted. No progress was being made with the orphanage investigation or her hypothesized powers.

Marshall then asked a dreaded question. "How much longer will you stay, Winny? I've got a surprise for you back at home."

Albany tried her hardest not to break in to tears, and to keep her voice steady. "You know how I feel about surprises." She sniffled while letting out a light chuckle. "I'm not gonna lie, I'm having the time of my life."

Albany watched his unreadable expression and continued. "But I'll return the moment Stark gives me the clear. I promise you."

Marshall watched his best friend, his full on sister, speak to him. He knew she was struggling to hold back any sort of sadness, but he also knew that she was speaking the truth. This truth that stood brighter than any other of her answers. If there was anything he knew about Albany, is that she would carry a promise to her grave.

"Then that surprise will be waiting."

///

After simply talking about whatever came to mind, Albany had completely forgotten about the last few days with the Avengers. She was with Marshall, and that was all she needed. The girl felt safer in his arms than anyone else's on the planet. The friends had ended up driving around the city until almost two in the morning, either chatting or sitting in a relaxing silence. It was a new concept to them to even be separated for a handful of days. They easily had made the best of the moments they currently had together. Eventually Albany and Marshall had ended up behind the Avengers Tower, not wanting to leave each other. So they compromised on five more minutes together, simply looking at the stars. 

Albany sat on the hood of the red car, while Marshall pulled a folding chair out of the trunk and sat beside her. The end of 2014 was approaching, in which New York streets got colder than usual. Without removing her gaze from the night sky, Albany shifted her arms across each other against the harsh breeze.

"You cold?" Marshall asked, his questioning blue eyes still as striking as ever in the night.

"A bit." Albany lied, ignoring her best friend's look.

"Then maybe, you should just go back to the tower, get warm pajamas on and go to bed." He suggested, in a motherly tone.

"But mom!" Albany whined sarcastically, a wide smile gracing her lips. Marshall couldn't hold back a chuckle, and sighed at his childish friend.

"Fine Winny. Five more minutes, but at least grab one of my spare hoodies from the back." The blonde compromised.

"Yeah this sling is getting itchy anyways." Albany hoped off the Civic with a grunt, and ran to the back, grabbing the first sweatshirt she saw in the pile of many. She ditched the fake sling and threw it in replacement of the hoodie in the car.

She put in on while walking back to her spot. "You're collection of hoodies is getting out of hand, Mar. You should donate them."

"No way!" He squealed as Albany hopped back onto his car. 

"Yes way!" She screamed back, and when he didn't reply, she sighed and leaned back in content. The sky was so dark it appeared completely black. Not many stars were ever able to be seen in the New York sky. The city itself created too much light for any of them to be able to shine through. Marshall had promised Albany a while ago that he would drive her down to Wisconsin, right in the middle of nowhere, just so she could could see the millions of stars.

Albany had had a fascination with stars ever since she was a kid. Whenever she was able to, the girl would sneak out of her orphanage and star gaze. Marshall accompanied her many times, just to be in her company. Albany held onto the belief that so much more was out there. So many different forms of life, planets, species, the list was endless. And she wanted to see it all, travel the galaxy.

Though her childhood dreams of being a space traveler had died quickly, Albany never lost her fascination with the universe.

"Still going to drive me to Wisconsin?" Albany asked, turning her head towards Marshall below her. She had broken the peaceful silence they had been holding for several minutes. 

"Yeah, I promised Al." He said confidently, easily remembering the day he had made the promise. "Actually, we should go right after your internship. I can take off of the dealership for a few days, and you still have one more paycheck to pick up from the coffee shop."

"What if I land a job with Stark?"

He inhaled. "We'd only be gone half a week, just a little road trip. It should be alright."

"Sounds like a plan Sting Ray."

Before the couple could relax into the silence they had created previously, Marshall had to ruin the night. "It's getting late, almost three. You should get going."

Albany sighed in defeat because she knew he was right. She couldn't stretch the night any longer. "Alright. Call me in the morning."

She slid off the hood, reaching Marshall's open arms. "Good night. Love you." He placed a light kiss on the top of her forehead, leaving Albany a smiling mess.

"Night." She murmured, and with one lass glance, she skipped slowly to the back doors of the tower. The doors closed behind her with a loud thud, making her wince. She didn't want to wake anyone. She waved at Gina who worked at the desk, who immediately started typing, probably checking Albany in. 

She tiptoed to the elevator, deciding to go to the kitchen to grab a snack rather than going straight to bed. JARVIS held no hesitation in zooming her up to the respective floor, the elevator giving a 'ding' once arrived. The doors pried open with their usual hiss sound, and Albany's head swung up towards the sound of laughter.

Before her was all of the Avengers, Natasha and Clint on the couch, each with drinks in their hand. Tony and Bruce sat at the breakfast bear, seemingly in an important conversation while Steve sat in the corner with a small smile on his face. Upon hearing the elevator ding, all head turned towards her.

"There she is!" Stark shouted, raising a drink in the air that Albany had yet to see.

She let out a small laugh, as the team's conversations stopped. "Why are you all still up?"

Clint stood. "We wanted to hear how your day had been."

"Accept we hadn't expected you to be out this late." Cap added, looking quite tired. Though he had managed to stay up, just for her.

"Oh." Albany spoke, eyes wide in slight surprise. "It was good."

Tony threw his hands in the air. "We waited all night to hear about your boyfriend, and all we get was that your day was 'good'?"

"Because it was." She smiled, thinking of how much she had missed Marshall.

"Yeah, you mean you guys were making out all night." He countered, earning chuckles from the team.

"We are not dating!" Albany scoffed, feeling her face heat up. "We just went to Portillo's!"

"False." Bruce joined the conversation. "We heard you giggling outside."

"And I'm sure that's not your Jet's sweatshirt." Natasha added, gesturing to Marshall's green hoodie she had grabbed.

"I was cold!" The girl saw the suggesting looks on the team's faces. She puffed, "Oh, forget this! I'm going to bed."

The turned around, ignoring the chorus of laughter behind her.

///

Apparently the universe was against Albany after having such a great day, for she could not sleep. As soon as Albany had closed her eyes, the rest of the night consisted of violent tossing and turning. No matter how hard she tried, the teen could not fall asleep. Her restlessness turned into a hurtful ache in her stomach and pound in her head.

She finally gave up around 7 AM, despite only laying down around 3 AM. Her legs ached as she flipped them over the side of the bed. Albany didn't get sick often, but when she did, it was her least favorite thing in the world. Finally the girl had managed to rise out of bed and enter the elevator to get some breakfast. She didn't have much of an appetite, but Marshall always told her it was good to try to eat something. Even if you aren't feeling well. She almost laughed out loud thinking how Marshall was right about it getting too cold last night. That had to be why she felt this way.

The elevator doors opened with their usual 'ding', and Albany was surprised to see Bruce in the kitchen. She let out a soft laugh. "Hey Bruce. Why you up so early?" She cringed at how drowsy her voice sounded.

Without turning around, the Avenger answered, his focus still on the stove. "I'm trying to make french toast for the team. But- it's not going too good." He turned around to face the girl who was now suddenly closer. His eyes scanned her figure, that seemed barely able to hold its own weight. Albany's brown hair was a mess of frizz, some of it stuck to the sweat on her forehead. He noted how her skin was pale, and under eyes dark. "You okay, Al?"

"Think just a cold from being outside so late last night. I didn't get a lot of sleep." Albany was quick to change the subject, she always hated when others worried for her. "Let me see this french toast. Maybe I can help."

Bruce let her take his spot in front of the stove, his worried eyes still trailing her form. She looked at the plate of messy french toast and the one's currently sizzling in the pan. "You're doing good, everything's just very sloppy." Albany noted, nodding slightly. She picked up the brown sugar and added a bit more to the ones cooking. "These aren't bad at all Brucey, I would just-" The teen stopped speaking once a sharp pain stabbed her in the stomach. She grasped her torso and winced, trying her hardest not to let out a scream.

"Albany?" Bruce asked, his voice thick with concern. "Albany!" She fell to the ground, Bruce barely able to catch her small figure. "JARVIS tell the rest of the team to get down here!"

He held the girl closer to him and felt her forehead. "Damn it Al, you're burning up." She clenched her eyes shut against the pain, holding every scream in. She could physically feel her temperature rise, so hot, Bruce could not hold her anymore. His arms retracted in surprise, and he stood above Albany. Within seconds her body started emitting a magenta glow. 

"We need to get you to the lab." Were the last words Albany heard before she blacked out.

A/N: Sorry for any typos. Hope you liked this longer chapter!! Comment your theories!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 322 16
Sequel to Captain and Willow Willa Stark now 21 years old with her powers in full control and things seeming calm until things changed. Big trouble...
2.9K 128 22
You are Tony Starks Niece. Growing up having a superhero uncle, made superheros totally not interesting. You are the newest Avenger, but Uncle Tony d...
26.3K 673 9
Star is only a child, and her entire life has been dictated by HYDRA, anything she did was what they wanted to do. She is confused and scared, but th...
14K 398 38
Y/N was never meant to be royalty. She always knew that. But when her village was destroyed one night when she was young, King Anthony Stark took her...