Wicked Game

By northern-typist

You can't trust anybody these days, that's what they tell us. They tell us that the IMF are trouble; but, the... More

I: The World Was On Fire
II: No One Could Save Me But You

III: Isn't Desire Strange?

588 16 11
By northern-typist

A/N: Back at it again; hello all and thank you for your lovely comments, once again. If I deviate from the script, then please, do not be alarmed - I'm following the plot of GP, but using some artistic license to write true dialogue.

//

"The Secretary is dead.'"

//

The train carriage was silent. A pin drop could be heard. Benji staggered back slightly, leaning against the nearest wall; his co-worker, Jane, doing the same. Audrey picked at her nails and stares over at Ethan, unsure about how to proceed. She wasn't an IMF agent, therefore, wasn't trained for situations such as these. Watching the group, Ethan smoothly approached the table-center of the room; placing a large pair of headphones onto his head. Silence continued to rage; as Audrey continued to observe Ethan. William moved to stand alongside Audrey, he cocked his-head towards Benji and Jane; the blonde followed his gaze.

"I'm sorry, but, who's this?" He inquired cautiously.

Audrey opened her mouth, ready to reply; she was, however, interrupted by her brother.

"Agent Dunn and Carter."

Turning back to face Audrey, a look of sudden-realization spread across William's features. Mouth open, he gestured between the blonde and her brother. The siblings shared an amused-look. Audrey, a sympathetic smile on her face, reached over; placing a soothing hand on the analysts shoulder. William sighed, rubbing a hand over his tired, slightly-damp face. He sent a small wave over to the two IMF agents.

"William Brandt, chief analyst." William said quietly.

Benji's face scrunched up, obviously confused by William's words. He glanced over to Jane, who shrugged in return.

"Analyst?" He whispered, mostly to himself.

Audrey noticed William blanch-slightly at her brothers mutterings. She rolled her eyes and moved to speak, but just-like before, was rudely interrupted by another source of sound.

All at once, the screens around them whirred to life; illuminating, the light causing Audrey to take a step back. Disturbing images proceeded to fill each screen; an array of news reports and press conferences. One screen in-particular caused Audrey's blood to run cold; her mouth hung open, gaping in horror at the word's being spoken.

"What the hell is this?" She wondered aloud; glancing over to Benji, who simply shrugged.

"Power of the world will finally end, and it is my job to predict the unthinkable. To treat the death of billions as a game. After 20 years of this, I was none the wiser. Until a new question crossed my mind. What happens after the end of the world?"

Ethan grasped a mobile-phone and stepped away from the group, dialing an all-too familiar telephone number. His gaze flitted over to Audrey for a mere-two seconds; watching as she stared up, her blue-eyes wide with horror. The receiver noise-beeped and Ethan brought the mobile closer to his ear.

"Are you sure your line is secured?" He pressed quickly, yet quietly.

The images continued to play; Audrey stepped closer, inspecting the screen, simply unable to look away. On the screen, a man - wearing a rather official-looking uniform - was speaking to a large crowd, his voice-booming through the speakers. The crowd before him cheering and seemingly hanging off every-word. Audrey stole a glance over in Ethan's direction and sighed; she could feel the dread building within her bones. The man speaking was clearly bad news. She returned her attention back to the screen.

"-every two or three million years; some natural catastrophe devastates all life on earth. But life goes on, and the little that remains is made stronger, better. Put simply, world destruction isn't unpleasant... But a necessary part of evolution. What happens then, I wondered? When mankind faces the next end of the world."

End of the world? Audrey stepped back, her face aghast; the blood drained completely from her features. She knew the world would end one day, but not yet; Audrey had hoped she'd be long-gone by then. Her name a legacy, rather than a tragedy. Benji watched his carefully; evaluating her face, trying to figure out her current emotions. Over on Ethan's side, the agent continued to hold the mobile-device to his ear; talking furiously into it. The others were only able to grab snippets of his conversation; the television drowning him out completely. Ethan pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed into the phone.

"I don't care what you have to do, just get him to Dubai." He muttered sternly. "Just do it- Well, I'll be waiting for your call."

With that departing-phrase, Ethan ended the call; he pocketed the phone and crossed the room, electing to stand alongside Audrey. She looked up and was met by Ethan's green-orbs; he was visibly nervous, unusual for Ethan, of course; but Audrey could tell. However, instead of speaking, she grasped his hand and gave it a firm squeeze. The pair then turned to look at the screen, as the video came to its never-ending conclusion.

"-I look to Hiroshima, Nagasaki. Both once thriving cities, rebuilt from the ashes. Monuments to unimaginable, all dedicated to the concept of peace. It's occurred to me here, that nuclear war might just have a place in the natural order. But only if it could be controlled."

The screens shut off, low lights now illuminating the carriage. Nobody spoke, too stunned to say a single word; the thought of Nuclear Armageddon had rendered everyone silent. Ethan coughed abruptly; all eyes turned towards him, awaiting his inevitable instruction. For a brief moment, Ethan was silent, observing the small crowd; his green-eyes, however, focusing on William - who stood opposite, fidgeting nervously. The analyst seemed uneasy; although, Ethan could hardly blame the man. If he was just an analyst, then all of this couldn't have been easy for him; the same could also be said for Audrey. In the since they had met, she had shown a great amount of courage. Ethan sighed and brought himself back to the matter at-hand.

"Myself and IMF believe this man-" He pointed to the screen, where the speakers picture was now displayed. "-Kurt Hendricks, is a nuclear extremist. Codmame, Colbalt. Today he was seen leaving the Kremlin, with what was mostly likely a nuclear launch device. A few days ago, Sabine Moreau killed one of our agents in Budapest-"

Jane turned away, the memories still far too raw; she tried to keep her expression neutral, but her emotions quickly betrayed her. The only one to notice, however, was Audrey. She averted her gaze away from the brunette; allowing Jane this sliver of a moment of grieve.

"Intel indicates that she will check in at the Burj Hotel, located in Dubai, in 36 hours. Mariusz Wistrom is a known operative of Cobalt. As far as we know, Winstrom is currently on route to Dubai." Ethan took a breath, gauging the reactions of the room; before continuing. "For the launch code to work, Cobalt needs the activation codes-"

"-so he's sending Winstorm to buy them from Moreau." Audrey breathed; her blue eyes, staring over at Ethan. He simply nodded his head in return.

"Like I said before, the Secretary is dead and the the President has invoked Ghost Protocol. We're shut down; this means no satellites, safe house, support or extraction. The five of us-" His eyes met Audrey's. "-and the contents of this car are all that remain of the IMF. As of this moment, all actions are unsanctioned. Now, that being said; if you want out, speak now."

All eyes turned to Audrey and William; it was only natural, she supposed, neither of them were IMF agents. Ethan and William shared a look, before turning back to Audrey. The blonde inhaled sharply; this was her chance, to go back to Langley and forget everything that had happened. But there was a part of her, deep-deep down, that didn't want to go. She'd heard everything now and throughout it all, Audrey felt compelled to helpi Ethan. On the other hand-

-Benji was done, he had heard enough; Audrey wasn't an IMF agent, she needn't be here. Staring over at his younger-sibling, he started to shake his head; an action that Audrey caught onto and began to frown at him.

"Benji, please, don't..." She started, throwing an apologetic glance towards Ethan.

The room, although interested in the problem at hand, now focused upon Audrey and Benji.

"No, Audrey, no. As your brother, it is my duty to take care for you and protect you. By letting you do this, I'd be doing a terrible job and you-" He spun to face Ethan. "This is all your fault. Why is she here?" Benji continued helplessly.

For a moment, neither - Audrey or Ethan - dare reply. The had been tough and Ethan knew that Audrey wasn't trained; that hadn't stopped her from following along. He stepped around the table, moving to stand opposite a clearly distraught Benji; hands help up in mock-surrender.

"In your sisters defence, Benji, she saved my life." He explained carefully.

Benji checked Audrey for her reaction, still unsure that Ethan was telling the truth; although, his friend had never had cause to lie to him before. She sighed, nodding and ultimately, confirming Ethan's story to be true. Audrey also began to approach Benji; stopping to stand next to Ethan. The remainder of the room watching on in utter-amusement.

"I didn't come to Moscow by choice, this is all for my job; and now due to whoever this Hendrick's fellow-is, my boss is dead. I'm fully aware of how dangerous this will be, believe me, I do."

"Then walk away- Wait, your job?"

Audrey rolled her eyes and sighed; there really was no time for this.

"Yes, Benji, my job. If you picked the phone once in awhile, then maybe you might be up to date with what's going on in my life?" She ranted, albeit through gritted teeth.

Looking down at his shoes, Benji appeared sheepish; his sister was correct and now, he felt awful. He shuffled awkwardly on the spot, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. Benji glanced back up and sent a small-smile to his sister, but looked over to Ethan.

"So, she really saved you?"

Audrey softened her harsh-gaze at Benji's words. Beside her, Ethan simply smiled.

"It's because of your sisters quick thinking, that I managed to escape the Police. She might not be IMF, but she's tougher than we know."

As all eyes turned to Audrey, she blushed, clearly not used to the spotlight being set upon her. Audrey thought herself to be a modest-woman and so, to get the attention off of her, moved over to Benji and wrapped her arms around him. Benji jumped, but returned the hug. He pressed a kiss to her blonde hair; the moment was touching, a human element to the stressful situation.

"Sorry Aud." He whispered gently.

Audrey closed her eyes and embraced Benji for a moment longer; she needn' reply, Benji knew she had accepted his apology. The pair stepped away from each other; the blonde turning to face Ethan. Silence filled the carriage, as it had done previously. Surprisingly, however, the silence was broken by an unlikely suspect - Jane. Pushing herself off the wall, she sauntered around the table and leaned upon the table; grinning at the group.

"I like her." She commented smartly.

The two women grinned at each other; speaking in a language that the men couldn't begin to understand. Clapping her hand together, Audrey broke the remaining tension, stepping back over to the table. She framed her neck to glance at Ethan, who was watching her curiously.

"Right then, I think that's enough emotional interlude for one day; Ethan?"

Taking this as his cue, Ethan also crossed back towards the table; an array of images - mostly of Dubai - now found themselves upon the large screen. The group awaited their next instruction.

"Our mission is Hendricks. We're all that's left between him and his goal; nothing can be left to chance. Everyone connectedness to this man is considered an asset; each one will have valuable information about our target." Ethan's team nodded; taking in the information he had presented to them. "Now, no one can know that we're online. We lose Hendricks now, we lose him forever."

Audrey rested two palms onto the table and bit her lip. She quirked an eyebrow at Ethan.

"So, what's the plan?"

//

Now with their mission/instructions, the team settled down; packing their bags and getting a moments rest, before they arrived at the airport. Her bag in hand, Audrey gathered a selection of clothes (a few modest selections) and shoved them in other bag. She, however, failed to notice that Ethan had started to approach. He'd noticed that she'd been alone and seized the opportunity to speak; whilst the others, and more importantly Benji, was distracted. Audrey, holding a cream cardigan, started to shrug the item on; only then noticing the presence behind her. She spun around, smiling warmly at Ethan; his presence a welcome distraction.

"Hi." She greeted quietly.

"I meant it, you know."

"Meant what?" Audrey's tone curious.

Leaning on the wall-opposite, Ethan crossed his arms and smiled.

"That you're tougher than you think. Not many people could digest what they've heard today, now, could they?" He countered.

Shrugging her shoulders, Audrey turned back to the cabinet, continuing to pack her bag. She grasped a pair of sandals and placed them into the rucksack.

"I suppose not, but then again, I am internally screaming; so, make of that what you will." Audrey smirked, zipping up the bag and placing it over her shoulder. Her response garnered a chuckle from Ethan.

"You and Benji are far too similar." He grinned.

Biting her lip, Audrey started shaking her head; blonde curls flying about. She hoisted the backpack further up on her shoulder and stepped away from Ethan - but, not before stopping and leaning in close, near Ethan's ear.

"You have to admit I'm the better looking sibling, though."

She smirked, winking at a Ethan, before sauntering away and over to her Brother.

The older-agent watched her go; speechless and eyes full of wonder. Audrey Dunn wasn't like other woman, that was for sure.

//

Dubai - a place that Audrey had always dreamed of visiting. The magnificent skyscrapers, towering over the sandy-landscapes and picturesque beaches. In all of her time at the CIA, the Arab countries had never been available to visit; they were vastly popular amongst the Translators. Audrey never complained, however, she was rather content to travel around Europe; it was nearer to home after all. Therefore, Audrey allowed herself this rare-moment to gape at the city and landscapes around her.

The team, now on the way towards the Burj, travelled through the desert at top-speed; Ethan at the wheel, Audrey sat beside him, the remainder of the team sat in the back. Jane sat, her back to the others, chatting to the driver. William, who was still perplexed by the entire situation, looked over at Benji.

"So, even if we can double as Moreau and Winstrom; how do we keep them in separate rooms? Or, how do we make them think that they're in the same room?" He queried, obviously confused.

Ethan grinned, thinking of his 'master-plan.' To his right, Audrey smirked, continuing to stare out of the window; all the whilst, still listening.

"We give the hotel a facelift. Winstrom will think he's arriving at Moreau's suite; but really, he will be walking into our decoy room-"

"-where I'll double Moreau." Jane quipped.

"Downstairs Benji will double Winstrom." Ethan finished; seemingly pleased with his plan.

"Ah, masks!"

Audrey's lips turned up in a small smirk at her brother's outburst; he'd always wanted to wear one of those IMF masks. She craned her neck back to see that William was still not convinced; even if Ethan's tone had been light. He crossed his arms and frowned.

"Right, huh-okay, so, what am I doing then?" He questioned dully.

Looking up from his laptop, Benji smirked.

"You? You're the helper."

Audrey had to turn her head away from William, afraid that he would notice her giggling. The man say beside her did, however, and - albeit quietly. William sighed, running a hand over his face.

"Help... Okay." He started unsure; before sighing and turning to look at Ethan and Jane. "So, let me get this straight, the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world; and you want to alter its infrastructure. All in the hopes that you will convince two people that they had a meeting, which never actually happened."

Jane and Ethan shared a look, whilst Audrey ceased her giggling and sent a sympathetic smile over to William.

"Well, when you say it like that, it sounds terribly complicated. But, I'm sure Ethan's plan will work." She replied warmly.

The car was silent, Ethan stared over at William; but unfortunately, had taken his eyes off the road ahead - Audrey doing the same. It was Jane who brought the car back down to Earth.

"Camels!" She screeched loudly.

There was a collective scream; as Ethan turned back around just in time, he swerved the car around a group of camels, continuing towards the city. Audrey held a hand to her chest and glanced over at Ethan. She chuckled breathlessly.

"From now on, please keep your eyes on the road."

Ethan grinned and nodded his head.

"Yes ma'am."

//

Audrey couldn't quite believe her eyes; the Burj Khalifa was even-more spectacular up close. Once Ethan had parked the car, Jane had ascended into the hospital, ready to double as the 'dry-cleaner.' The rest of the group; after Jane's all-clear, then made their way into the hotel to check in. Which is where they currently stood. To start, Benji and William checked themselves in; posing as high-class business men. Then, it was Audrey and Ethan's turn; and much to Benji's displeasure, the couple were masquerading as a newly-married pair. Audrey gripped onto Ethan's arm, her gaze wondering around the vast lobby, as Ethan attained the room key. She noticed that Benji and William had already started to make their way to the lifts. Feeling Ethan tug at her arm, she focused back in on his conversation with the receptionist.

"-a dream. She is my entire world."

For a second, Audrey felt her eyebrows raise in surprise; but rapidly remembered what they were pretending to be. She grinned over at Ethan, before turning to the older-woman behind the desk. The Receptionist smiled warmly, a mischievous twinkle in her eye; she then slid the room key over the desk and into Ethan's hand.

"Here you go Sir, Madam. Enjoy your stay and I wish you all the best in future, I have a feeling you two are going to be together for a long time." She said warmly, releasing the key and sitting back down.

Ethan pulled Audrey closer and pressed a kiss to her hand.

"So do I, Mariam, so do I."

Sending the couple another smile, Mariam nodded, before moving onto the customer behind them. Ethan clutched the key and guided Audrey towards the lifts. The pair stood, Audrey still holding Ethan's arm, waiting for the lift to arrive. It gave Audrey a moment to think. Ethan seemed relaxed, he'd probably would have done this on a variety of occasions. That's what many hated about the IMF; that they spent their time playing make-believe. She supposed that after this, things would be awkward between herself and Ethan; however, every fibre in her being told her that it wouldn't. Audrey was brought out her reverie by the echoing DING of the lift arriving. The couple entered into the lift and continued on their journey to the room.

//

"ETA on dry cleaning?"

"I'm on my way out."

"Alright, 34 minutes to door-knock."

//

Gathered around the coffee table, Audrey and Benji sat, occupied by a laptop; Ethan and William hovered behind. Each member of the team had become slightly agitated; nervous about the upcoming task ahead.

Looking down at the laptop, the Dunn siblings blanched at what they saw; sharing a worried glance. Benji glanced up at the standing-men, whilst Audrey continued to stare at the readings on screen.

"Wow, right, okay. This-This is a slight wrinkle, nothing to worry about." Benji stammered, watching Ethan and William's reactions cautiously.

Ethan raised an eyebrow, silently urging Benji to continue; however, Audrey placed a hand on her brothers shoulder and sighed.

"What Benji is trying to say is, that we're going to have to go into the sever room; from the outside." Audrey explained quickly.

"What?" William questioned, unsure of what this entailed.

"Well, it seems that the firewalls in this building serve a military grade."

Running a hand over his face, Benji sighed, pulling the laptop closer towards him. Ethan stared down the techie expectantly. They couldn't fail now; they didn't have that much time left.

"I mean this wouldn't be a problem if I could call Yusuf back at HQ." Benji stammered again, quicker this time. "But Yusuf doesn't exist anymore, and now, neither do we. I could hack it, but it would take far too long."

Ethan began pacing, unable to keep still; William, however, turned to face the siblings and leaned down on the sofa.

"Right then, it seems this operation is over before it's even begun." He sighed, clearly frustrated with the lack of results; William was an analyst after all.

The room fell silent; but the it was suddenly cut short by the snap of Audrey's fingers. All eyes turned to her as she stood, rounding the table and approaching Ethan - who had stopped pacing to stare.

"Don't be a pessimist William, now, if my calculations were correct and I'm certain they are; we can get into it from the outside." She explained excitedly, gesturing with her hands.

"We?" Ethan queried, a perfect eyebrow raised.

Audrey's expression quickly changed, holding her hands up and stepping back.

"I'm just the translator darling." She explained, winking over at Ethan.

The brunette agent then proceeded to stare at Benji and William.

"I'm-I'm on the computer."

"I'm just the helper."

Ethan began to contemplate all his remaining options. He couldn't use the Lift and the vent out was off of the cards; this left him with only one option. He stepped over to the window, looking down; it was awfully higher then he was used to. The trio behind him followed Ethan's gaze, their expressions falling. All knowing what his new idea was. Audrey rushed over to Ethan, making sure she didn't step too close to the window; remembering her vertigo this time around. Ethan caught her gaze and smiled; the blonde, now wearing a stern expression, started to shake her head.

"Ethan no, don't be silly, you can't do this." She cried, her rational-side breaking out. "You aren't a superhuman, for Christ sake. We're almost 130 floors up."

Placing a calming hand on Audrey's shoulder, Ethan rubbed her side; before crossing the room and starting to discuss his plan with William.

Audrey knew what Ethan Hunt could be like, but this was beyond-stupid; it could even be considered suicide. Moving away from the vast window, Audrey inwardly groaned and headed into the kitchen to make a cup of tea. All the while chanting a small mantra to herself as she did.

"He's insane... He's going to die..."

Once Ethan was suitably dressed and equipped to scale the building; Audrey made her way over, a mug of tea in hand. She shared a look with Ethan and glanced down at her watch.

"26 minutes to door-knock."

//

A/N: Well this chapter was longer than I thought it'd be, but I'm pleased with it none the less. Thank you to all those that have reviewed, followed and favourited the story, it means a lot. Please let me know what you think of this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 57 12
Book one of "the Mission Impossible" series 《In which a 16 year old girl named Sara Russi hepls in secret missions with her "not by blood" family O...
5K 133 7
Skylar and Ethan have been together for a little under two years when everything changed. Now they don't see each other that much unless assigned to...
1.1K 213 25
Life comes at us with different tests, different tricks and different obstacles and the more you go through them the harder they get, just like a gam...
16.8K 383 6
When disavowed IMF agent Skylar Rhodes gets an encrypted message from an anonymous person, asking for help, she can't help but miss out her mission d...