π‘‘π˜©π‘’ π˜©π‘’π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘‘ π‘œπ‘“ π‘›π‘Žπ‘Ÿ...

By _sun_of_a_beach_

βπ‘€π‘œπ‘€, 𝑛𝑖𝑐𝑒 π‘™π‘œπ‘œπ‘˜! π‘‘π˜©π‘’ π‘π‘™π‘œπ‘œπ‘‘ π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘Žπ‘™π‘™π‘¦ π‘π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘›π‘”π‘  π‘œπ‘’π‘‘ π‘¦π‘œπ‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑦𝑒𝑠.❞ 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚝�... More

I. prologue
II. a familiar name
III. lucy finds a wardrobe
IV. lark in narnia
V. on the run
VI. toast
a/n
VII. the fox
VIII. merry christmas
IX. river rush
a/n
XI. a question
XII. the last night
a/n
XIII. eye of the storm
XIV. this great war; 1
a/n
a/n
XV. this great war; 2
XVI. fighting's end
XVII. the end of the beginning
+sequel
+shameful self promo
+updated self promo

X. quiet

3.8K 104 95
By _sun_of_a_beach_

Starting it off with:

Edmund's POV:

It was late, the sun was setting...and I was tied to a tree. Gagged, too.

Brilliant.

I spied the Witch and the dwarf looking at battle plans from across the camp. The gag dug into my cheeks, making me groan.

Then--the pounding of hooves. I looked up to see an advancing group of centaurs, fauns and--

"LARK!" I screamed as she untied me and cut the gag. I was overjoyed to see her.

She was alright. She was okay.

"Hello to you, too." she joked as she helped me up. As soon as I could stand, I hugged her tightly.

"I'm so, so sorry Lark, I---" I began, but she pushed me away, holding up her finger for quiet, giving me a stern look. I looked at the floor, tears threatening to spill.

She was mad...so I can say I was surprised when she suddenly hugged me. If I wasn't mistaken, I felt a few tears fall on my shoulder. When she pulled away, she smiled warmly at me. I could feel the color rise in my cheeks.

"No, Ed---I'm the one who should be apologizing. I shouldn't have yelled at you, or just up and left you guys just like that--but we can discuss this later. I'm glad to have you back--but we have to go."

We walked back to her horse together. Suddenly, a dark-haired boy with a crooked grin raced up to Lark, picked her up, and spun her around. I glared at him.

Wait, what?

"We did it, Jess, we did it!" She looked at me as he set her down as if just remembering that I was there.

"Oh--where are my manners? Ed, this is Jessop. Jessop--Edmund." he smiled at me, extending his hand, I hesitantly took it. 

He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Nice to meet you," he said tersely as we got on Dessa. I sat behind Lark.

"Pleasure."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lark's POV:

Wow. The boys were sure acting weird.

Whatever, right? 

...right?

A few minutes into the ride, Edmund tentatively wrapped his arms around me from behind.

I turned as red as a tomato. I turned to face him, he immediately blushed as red as me.

"What are you doing?" I asked. Edmund pulled his arms way.

"I'm sorry...I-I just...I just thought---" I laughed.

"No. Thank you. I'd probably fall off if you didn't." turning around, I felt Edmund wrap his arms around my waist again.

I smiled nervously, leaning my head on Jessop's back.

...

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until I was jolted awake by the clamor of the camp. Jessop turned to face me.

"Sleepy, Lark? C'mon, Aslan wants to talk to you two," he spoke. I looked around to see that Edmund had fallen asleep, and had not yet awoken. He began to toss and turn, almost falling of Dessa. I shook him awake.

"Ed? Ed! Edmund!" he awoke with a start and jumped off the horse. I looked at his frightened face.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Fine," he whispered. Wow, he was bad at lying. I began to walk towards Aslan.

"You sure?"

"Yup."

Did I mention this kid was bad at lying?

I turned back to Edmund.

"Aslan wants to speak with us individually. I'll go first--you wait here. Be right back!" I raced after the great Lion.

...

"What do you want, sir?" I asked playfully. He looked at me sternly. I shut up.

"Child, I have to talk to you about what you did just now. Going to the camp was dangerous and--" I sighed.

"Not now, Aslan. Besides, you said I could go."

"My first mistake."

"No--your first mistake is not listening to me for once---I always listen to you and--"

"Child, please..." Aslan said, his voice dangerously quiet. But I didn't care.

"No, don't 'child, please' me! I want to know why--"

Then Aslan did something I had never experienced him do to someone.

He roared. The sound was deafening.

The anger burned inside me, and as soon as I thought I was about to burst--

Quiet. Everything was quiet. He was still roaring, angry. But I couldn't hear it anymore.

I ran. I ran away, past my father, back to where Edmund stood, fidgeting.

"Your turn."

"Lark are you okay--"

"I said 'your turn'! Go!" I ran past him, into the nearby woods.

Of course, he just had to follow me.

I sat down, not facing him, even though he sat next to me.

"Lark, whatever's wrong--you can tell me, we're friends--"

I turned to him. 'Friends or not, you won't understand. You couldn't. You don't know Aslan, you don't know--me. You spent all your time here so far locked up in the house of our enemy, by every fault of yours.." I said harshly.

Then I realized what I'd said. I also realized that Edmund was crying. I had made Edmund Pevensie cry.

"Oh, Edmund, I'm so sorry--I didn't mean it, I was just--"  He sniffed.

"No, you're right."

"What?"

"Don't be dense, Lark, I said you were right. I did do all those things, I am everything you said. And I know it. You're also right that I can't understand."

"Yes, you can! You--"

"No, Lark. I can't understand--unless you tell me."

"Edmund, we're--I'm fourteen, I'm not a baby, I can handle it--"

"Tell me."

I gave in.

"Fine." I began. 

"I don't know...its weird. I guess it always happens when I'm angry, or scared...which means I'm usually in danger. Its hard to explain...but, say...when the wolves were attacking the girls and I, for example. While I was in the tree, everything was quiet.  Almost perfectly silent, but not really silent. Like, I could hear my heart in my head, and I could hear the leaves rustle, and I could hear the breeze. But even that was odd because normally, I would've had to strain to hear them, and at that moment they were the loudest sounds I could hear. everything else was silent. I saw everyone around me, saw every movement, every weak spot, every strength...but I couldn't hear maugrim...or Susan or Lucy, or Peter or even Aslan. It wasn't even a liability. It was...helpful. 

Or, when Aslan and I were fighting, the same thing happened. Only this time, I couldn't hear anything except my thoughts. I found every reply, every comment I could've made in my head. I just don't know...I'm not quite explaining it right. It was so creepy...but awesome at the same time. I just wish I knew what it was and how to control it..."

I trailed off.

Edmund just stared.

"I told you, you wouldn't get it---"

Edmund covered my mouth with his hand.

"Shut it. I get it, at least as much as I can. And I'm sorry--for everything. Whatever I've gotten I deserved...and whatever this-this thing is, that you can do...you can do it for a reason. It could be helpful. You should ask Aslan."

"I don't know...he and I sort of parted on bad terms."

"Everyone makes mistakes. They don't matter. What matters is how you fix them. You can do anything if you try, if you really, really want to. Even a traitor may mend...I know I did.

"Wow, since when are you so wise, Pevensie."

"Shut up."

I laughed--it felt good. I stood.

"Okay, okay. Enough sulking. Go talk to Aslan."

And with that, I walked out of the forest, blushing at the talk we had just had, and how happy I had felt to have him understand--wait, what am I saying!

I. Don't. Like. Him.

He's just--a good friend.

I think. Maybe. Possibly. Okay, maybe I do like him.

Just a little.

...

I stepped out of the tent after spending some time with the girls, when I noticed Edmund and Aslan walking down the hill towards us.

"Susan, Lucy, Come on!" We rushed to where Aslan, Edmund, and Peter already stood, the siblings exchanging greetings.

I smiled, then my gaze met Aslan's.

"I'm sorry--"

"Walk with me."

I followed Aslan quietly to the top of the hill he and Edmund had just been on. Stopping at the peak, he turned to me.

"Dear one--"

"Aslan, I'm so sorry, I---"

"No, child, it is I am sorry. I shouldn't have reacted in the way I did, and I should have told you about these things sooner."

"What?" Aslan smiled sadly.

"When I roared, it was not so much out of anger, but a test. When I roared, it became quiet, almost nearly silent...but you were incredibly aware, yes."

"I think so...if that's really what that was." Aslan chuckled.

"You, dear one, have just discovered one of the great advantages of being of Narnian...of my creation. This was not silence...but pure focus. It will aid you in the upcoming battle. It is one of the few powers you have inherited from me. The first of many. Do not abuse this knowledge."

"I-I don't understand...I'm just me--Lark."

"No, dear one. You. Are. A. Lioness. Never forget that."

*Time Skip to Breakfast next day*

Jessop, the Pevensies and I all sat down together, eating breakfast. The moment he got the chance, Edmund started shoveling food into his mouth.

"Narnia's not going to run out of toast, Pevensie!" I giggled.

"What--I'm hungry!" he exclaimed toast still in his mouth.

"Gross."

"You'll have to back some for the journey home," Peter said solemnly. I did a double take.

"Wha--what? You're not going home!"

"I'm not. I have to stay and help Lark--but..." he turned to his siblings. "I promised mum I'd keep you three safe, but there's no one stopping me from staying and helping."

"But...Aslan needs all of us...all five of us." Lucy pleaded. I saw Jessop make a face.

"Six," he said under his breath.

"Yes, Jessie. All six of us." 

"It's too dangerous. Lucy almost drowned, Edmund almost died!"

"Which is why we have to stay," Edmund stated confidently. 

We all looked at him, then each other, as if to say: Did we just hear what I thought we heard?

Edmund continued. "I've seen what the white witch can do...and I've helped her do it. We can't just leave these people behind to suffer for it."

Silence. Then, Jessop began to slow clap. I giggled, despite Edmund's glare.

"Wise Pevensie strikes again!" I joked. Susan stood.

"Well...I suppose that's it then."

"Where are you going?" Jessop asked accusingly.

"To get in some practice." Susan picked up her bow and quiver and basically glided out of the pavilion. Lucy and I quickly followed.

Turns out, everyone else wasn't far behind.

...

"Lark: 3, Jessie: 0. What are the odds?" I teased as I ended yet another sparring round with Jessop, my sword tip at his throat, his in my other hand.

"Shut it. I gave you a good fight."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night."

The Pevensie brothers raced by on their horses, holding swords.

"C'mon Ed, sword hand up, like Orius taught us," Peter called out as Edmund's right hand began to drop.

Suddenly, Mr. And Mrs. Beaver ran up to them. Edmund's horse, Phillip, reared up.

"Whoa, horsey!" Edmund screamed. I almost laughed outright. here it comes.

"My name is Phillip." declared Phillip tersely.

"Sorry," Edmund mumbled, color rising in his cheeks.

"You all better come quick! The white witch has demanded a meeting with Aslan." Mr. Beaver called.

"And...?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

"She's on her way!" Mr. Beaver continued.

Casual Act: Dropped.

"WHAT?" I screamed. 

We all began to run back to the tents.

"Jess! Go tell everyone else!" I called, somewhat out of breath.

"Got it!" he turned to the crowd. "ATTENTION NARNIANS! THE HUMAN ICICLE----" I glared at him, "UM...I MEAN JADIS, HAS ARRIVED." The news spread like wildfire.

We all gathered, the six of us in the front and center part of the crowd, sending death glares at 'the human icicle' as much as we could.

"You have a traitor in your midst, Aslan," Jadis called from her throne, staring directly at Edmund. I swear I could see him wilt under her gaze.

"His offense was not against you, witch!" I called out. Her gaze reflected me.

"My dear kitten, lovely to see you. Tell me, where have you been the last 100 years. Not hiding from me, I hope?" I glared at her but didn't give her the satisfaction of an answer. "Do you not remember the deep magic?"

"Do not cite the deep magic with us, witch. I was there when it was written. Lark herself is a part of it." Aslan growled.

"Then you have not forgotten. You will know that every traitor belongs to me." she looked to Edmund and pointed to him. "That boy will die on the Ston Table."

If Lucy and I hadn't stopped them, I'm pretty sure both Peter and Jessop would've murdered someone.

"Come and take him then," Peter growled, sword drawn.

"You think a simple threat will deny me my right, little king? Aslan knows that if I do not have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned, and perish in fire and water." Jadis spat.

"Enough," Aslan called, deadly calm. "We shall talk with you alone."

Wait...we?

"M-me?"

Peter shoved me forward, so hard that I stumbled and fell, landing at the door to the tent.

"Thanks a lot, Pete."

"Don't mention it."

"I was being sarcastic."

"I know."

Reluctantly, I stood up and walked into the tent.

...

"Seems the little cub decided to join us after all." Jadis teased as I sat down next to Aslan...making sure to sit as far away from her as possible.

Aslan growled. 

"We have nothing to discuss, witch." I spat.

"Funny, isn't it? Everything you just said, is wrong."

"This is not what we gathered to discuss." Aslann soothed. "We are here to discuss Edmund."

"The law demands his blood, you know that well."

"If you know the law so well, you must know that countercurse, so to speak. If another...innocent, was willingly given, the crimes of the traitor would be reprieved."

"And who would you suggest, dear Aslan?" the witch turned to him. 

I turned to, just as confused. Then I caught on to what he was suggesting.

"No. No, no, no, no, no! You can't just do that! You have to live! We need you!. Peter may be destined to be king, but that doesn't instantly give him the knowledge and strength to lead an army! Just---"

The look in Aslan's eyes was neither anger nor sadness...but it did tell me to shut up.

"This is not an argument you can win, dear one. I will take Edmund's place on the stone table...tonight. Then he will live." 

The witch smiled her evil smile. I guessed that meant she had something up her sleeve.

"How do we know she'll keep her word? After you're dead, she might just as well find and kill Edmund!" I continued.

Jadis smiled. "The little cub is right---Although I have sought Aslan's blood through the years, this boy has brought me great suffering. I might need...another bargaining chip. Something to give me an--upper hand of sorts." Aslan shook his head, pushing it away as another of the witch's greedy whims, but I knew what she meant.

"Me? You want me?" Jadis chuckled.

"Of course, dear. Who else could possibly play the part?"

"Jadis, no---" Aslan began but I cut him off.

"I'll do it." I blurted. "If it means she'll get her murderous hands away from Edmund and the Pevensies, I'll do it." Our eyes met, and I tried to fit as much I'm-doing-it-you-can't-stop-me as I could into my gaze. Aslan looked away, downcast.

"Very well," he said dismally, "It is decided."

A pit of dread forming in my stomach, I followed the two others out of the tent.

...

Everyone watched and waited as we filed out silently. Guessing he should say something, Aslan spoke up.

"The witch has denounced her claim on Edmund!" He half-roared. I smiled.

"How do I know your promises will be kept?" Jadis accused. I groaned. Really, after all of that?

Aslan roared. A deep, powerful, guttural sound that shook me to the core.

But it ignited something in me somehow.

A deep, stone-set...resolve. Not courage, but resolve.

I would do it.

For me.

For the Pevensies.

For Edmund.

For Narnia...

And for Aslan.

A/N:

WOOHOO!! CHAPTER UP!! What did you think? This was a long one and I'm sorry I got it up late. I really REALLY hope you like it.

As usual, don't forget to comment and vote if you liked this, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

See ya pals!

Au Revoir,

Z

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 2.1K 25
When the Pevensies return to Finchley they don't know how they'll cope without Narnia . That is until they bump into Arabella Greene a girl with a br...
158K 3.4K 22
In Narnia everyone had heard of the prophecy of the two sons of Adam and the two Daughters of Eve they also heard of the forgotten Princess who would...
59.8K 1.4K 52
Her mother was one of the few who still believed Aslan would return. Her father and even her brother didn't believe much anymore... And even after h...
5.3K 117 15
Being the daughter of one so evil is not always the most pleasant thing. Luckily, for the fate of Narnia, Clara is nothing like her wicked mother, an...