Rare Blood

By ShelbyAnne

If you were being hunted by Vampires, could you trust one to protect you? Twenty-year-old Faye Porter will... More

Chapter One: Fate
Chapter Two: An Old Friend
Chapter Three: Introductions
Chapter Four: Breakfast Bites
Chapter Five: One night in Satin
Chapter Six: Waiting
Chapter Seven: Blood Bank
Chapter Eight: Sweet Dreams
Chapter Nine: Company
Chapter Ten: Good Intentions
Chapter Eleven: Something Special
Chapter Twelve: It's no Myth
Chapter Thirteen: A Promise
Chapter Fourteen: Tinted Green
Chapter Fifteen: Revelations
Chapter Sixteen: Sour Grapes
Chapter Seventeen: FUBAR
Chapter Eighteen: Baby Steps
Chapter Nineteen: Medieval Craftsmanship
Chapter Twenty: All's fair in love and war
Chapter Twenty-One: A Little Past and Present
Chapter Twenty-Two: Soldiering On
Chapter Twenty-Three: Trading Up
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Cabin
Chapter Twenty-Five: Shattered
Chapter Twenty-Six: A Destiny Revealed
Chapter Twenty-Seven: In too Deep
Chapter Twenty-Eight: It's Not All Fun and Games
Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Crescendo
Chapter Thirty: Needs
Chapter Thirty-One: Defined
Chapter Thirty-Two: Pancakes and Death Threats
Chapter Thirty-Three: The Calm Before A Storm
Chapter Thirty-Four: Friends
Chapter Thirty-Five: No Mercy
Chapter Thirty-Six: Manila Hurts
Chapter Thirty-Seven: To Live or Die
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Bonding
Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Groundwork
Chapter Forty-One: Rattled
Chapter Forty-Two: Plans for a Monarchy
Chapter Forty-Three: It Can't End Like This
Chapter Forty-Four: The New Authority
Chapter Forty-Five: Unholy Intentions
Chapter Forty-Six: Almost...
Chapter Forty-Seven: Battling Heartache
Chapter Forty-Eight: What Goes Up Must Come Down
Chapter Forty-Nine: Together Again
Chapter Fifty: Something Normal and Wilted
Chapter Fifty-One: A Prophecy Fulfilled
Chapter Fifty-Two: Veils of Calm
Chapter Fifty-Three: We're All Alright

Chapter Forty: Succeeding Sucks

2.9K 154 12
By ShelbyAnne

Faye woke to the sound of the phone ringing, and Cyrus's voice as he answered greeting Elsie. She rolled out of the bed, and upon realizing she was naked, she wrapped the blanket around herself before joining him in the hallway. He turned towards her as she approached and lowered the phone from his ear.

"Morning Love, how are you feeling," he asked and he reached his hand out, letting his fingertips brush across her throat lightly.

She took his hand in hers and brought it to her lips, placing a kiss on his knuckles before answering simply, "I'm with you."

He smiled, "So is that good or bad?"

She ignored his question and asked, "Is that Elsie? I thought I heard you say her name."

He looked down at the phone almost as if he had forgotten he was holding it, "Yeah. She wants to speak with you."

"Oh, ok," she said, and then he handed her the phone.

"Elsie," she said into the receiver, and then it was done.

Elsie asked to take her out as if they hadn't  spoken and Faye accepted pretending to be pleasantly surprised. When she hung up Cyrus had the look of uncertainty on his face.

"Faye, I don't think you going out with Elsie is the best decision right now."

She smiled, "Not now... Tonight though, should be fun."

Fun, god there would be nothing fun about it.

"I don't like it Faye," and all she wanted to say was, me either, but, she played her part.

"Cyrus, Elsie and I get along, and I need all the friends I can get.  Besides, she said it's a Pack bar which means I won't run into anyone who wants to eat me."

He smiled at that and said, "I really don't like this."

"But you know I'll be fine."

"Is there nothing I can say?"

"Say you'll trust that I'll always find my way back to you, no matter what."

He cupped her face, looking into her eyes with an intensity that stole her breath, "And if you don't, I'll come and get you."

It was a promise she had zero doubt he would follow through on, and she didn't know what to say, so she stepped away from him, turning for the bedroom calling over her shoulder, "So what will you do while I'm out?"

"I actually have a few things to take care of today."

She went into the closet looking for something to wear as she questioned, "What things?"

"Nothing important.  Just some errands."

That stopped her clothing search, "And you have to do them today?"

"Yes, I need to head into town, the sooner the better actually."

"I was hoping to spend the day with you here."

"I won't be gone long."

"But..." she stalled unable to tell him it might be the last day they would spend together for a long time.

He smiled at her, "Faye, I'm not going over to Howahkan's if that's what you're worried about."

Of course he thought that's what she was stressing over, she smiled and said, "Ok," trying to sound appeased.

He kissed her on the head, "I'll be back soon," and then he was gone. Faye took a few deep breaths trying to quiet the panic storming through her only to focus on all of Cyrus' clothes hanging neatly. She reached out with both arms and hugged a huge chunk of them before she crumpled to the floor sobbing, pulling everything she had in her arms down with her.

After a few minutes, Faye pulled it together.  She was scared, but she was saving him, hopefully herself, and an unknown amount of innocent pack members.

She had to be strong or the plan for her red-eye back to Pennsylvania would never work. She had to keep her shit together, keep her emotions locked down which had never been a problem up until Cyrus entered her life.

"Ugh..." She groaned and decided she needed to stay busy, it was the only way she was gonna make it through the day without cracking.

She righted the mess she made in the closet then washed clothes and cleaned the house unnecessarily. She showered and dressed and then there was nothing left to do but wait for Cyrus to come home, and Elsie to come get her.

Cyrus wasn't thrilled at the idea of letting Faye go off with Elsie, but deep down he knew she would be safe and he needed the time to get things ready. He was going to surprise her with flowers and hopefully a ring when she came home. He had to admit, it was perfect timing for her to have a night out. 

He drove into town to get as many flowers as he could and a suitable piece of jewelry to present her with. He went to every flower shop in the area and cleaned them out which took forever.  In all, he purchased over a thousand blooms.  His next step was to pick out something that wouldn't fade or die.

There was only one jewelry store in the area that he knew would have the kind of piece he was after, Emerald Cove Jewelers.  It was a Pack owned business and he knew the owner, Elizabeth. She had assisted him in locating a broach for a client of his a few years back and he knew she would likely have something worthy.

When he pulled up to the boutique, there was a sign suction cupped to the door that read CLOSED in bold black letters, but there was still a car parked out front.  He hopped out of the truck and knocked on the glass door. It took a few minutes for Elizabeth, who was in her fifties, and a teenage girl he didn't know, to peak out.

He waived and Elizabeth sauntered over yelling through the door, "It's nice to see you Cyrus, but we're closed."

She disliked him, but it was driven by fear of what he was not who he was. It was the same with most the Pack so he didn't expect her to be thrilled to see him, but he hoped she would let him in.

"Please, it's an emergency," he said allowing himself to look hopeless.

"The only kind of emergency that involves jewelry is one you created, so save your sorry little looks and shoo," she responded heartlessly, narrowing her eyes at him.

"I promise to make it worth your while. I'm desperate. Please..."

She put her hands on her hips, mulling it over, then unlocked the door asking, "What'd ya need," all annoyed.

"Something special."

"Is it for our guest, Faye," she asked as the other girl said, "Mom, let him in, you know Louis would want you to."

Cyrus smiled at her and she began twisting her long chestnut hair nervously.

"Oh alright," Elizabeth said, and moved out of the way.

"Thank you so much," then he held his hand out to the girl, "I'm Cyrus."

She looked to Elizabeth as if she was seeking permission, which she received in the form of a nod before extending her hand to shake his, "Kayla."

"You have five minutes," Elizabeth warned, and Cyrus was determined to waste none of it.

He looked over the display cases and said, "I have to pay in cash, but I don't have a lot on me, Can I owe you?"

Elizabeth laughed, "I'll just tell Louis if you don't pay, so sure."

He lifted his gaze to her, "I'll pay you because I'm not a crook, not because you're threatening to tell Louis."

"I don't care why, so long as you do, and you've got four minutes now," Elizabeth warned curtly.

Kayla came over to the case he was looking into asking, "What are you looking for?"

He kept his eyes on the jewelry as he answered, "Something that will take her breath away."

"Maybe I could help you choose," Kayla offered.

"I need something for a proposal of sorts, but it's got to be incredible. I'm not looking for any ordinary diamond."

"So a ring then," Elizabeth questioned.

"Yes. What's the most unique piece you have in this store right now? That's what I want to see."

"Of course you do," Elizabeth mocked, but said, "Kayla will you get the box," and handed her a set of keys. She smiled and darted off into a backroom.

The box, Cyrus liked the sound of that. He liked the thought of leaving with something that hadn't been on display.

A second later Kayla came out holding a small treasure chest. She handed it to Elizabeth who opened it and arranged a few things before stepping back to allow him to look. There were a handful of exquisite items, but one ring drew him in instantly. The band was yellow gold and done in this intricate scrolling pattern. It had small clear diamonds surrounding a large princess cut stone in the center that looked like a diamond, but the almost lilac color was throwing him off.

He asked, "May I," before he reached to remove it from its slot. Elizabeth inclined her, saying, "That is a beauty. The diamond in the center is two carrots, and the smaller ones total a carrot together."

"It's a purple diamond," he asked examining it.

"It's a fancy pink-purple, and yes it is a diamond, an extremely rare diamond."

Kayla piped up, "It's the most expensive piece we've ever had in the store."

"How much," he asked curious, but it didn't matter, it was perfect and he was leaving with it.

"Cyrus there is a bid on it already," Elizabeth explained as if it were already sold, but he knew how she operated.

"And you're telling me that because you know I'll do you one better.  How much?"

"I can't sell it to you."

"Oh I think you can."

She smiled and said, "I can't let you walk out of here with a hundred thousand dollar ring on your word."

"Ok," he said, "I can get the cash and meet you back here in an hour."

Elizabeth narrowed her eyes at him thinking it over before finally replying, "You come back with one-twenty-five, and it's yours."

"Done," he said and held out his hand to shake on it, not even caring to argue about the extra twenty-five she tacked on.

Cyrus left the store in a hurry, he had to go all the way back to the cabin to get the cash and he needed Faye out of the house before he got there. He didn't want to explain what was in the bag he was going to retrieve from the basement or why he needed it so he called Elsie. She answered, "Hey."

"Elsie, it's Cyrus."

"Hence the hey," she replied dryly.

"Right. Listen, I need you to go get Faye for your night out, now. I need her out of the cabin before I get back and I need you to keep her entertained until I call you later. Can you do that for me?"

"Uh... yeah. I was getting ready to head over anyway."

"Thanks Elsie. Oh and don't tell her you spoke to me," and then he hung up before she could ask why which he knew was going to be her next question. The last thing he needed was her ruining the surprise.

When there was a knock at the door and Cyrus wasn't back Faye felt her heart sink. It was Elsie, which meant it was time to go and she wasn't going to get to say goodbye to Cyrus. Elsie tried to convince her it was for the best, but Faye couldn't leave without at least telling him that she loved him one final time.

She went into his office and wrote a few words on a piece of computer paper which she left folded on his desk before walking out the front door fully aware it might be the last time.

Sure, Howahkan had assured her things would work out, but there was still a part of her struggling with doubt.

The car ride to the airport was quiet, too quiet, and it wasn't until Elsie pulled the car into the long-term parking lot that Faye spoke finally, "You don't have to come in with me."

"This is where we need to park," Elsie said as she pulled into a vacant spot then reached into her purse and removed two sheets of paper. She handed them both to Faye.  It was printable boarding passes, two of them. 

Elsie smiled, "Cyrus won't be the only one in for a bit of a shock later. You didn't think I was gonna let you have all the fun alone did you," she asked and suddenly things didn't seem quite as bleak.

"Thank you, Elsie," Faye said and she reached over hugging her, "Thank you."

"Yeah, well, we better get a move on before Louis figures it out and ruin's everything."

Faye released her and an hour later they were cleared for takeoff.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

409K 18.3K 62
❝Her eyes spoke more than her lips moved.❞ After her pack is brutally taken over, Leila is forced to reside in the untamed lands of the Lycan kingdom...
2.5M 119K 43
Liam Black holds a dark secret inside of him. This secret is cold, merciless, and as dark as the night. It flows through his veins and teases his ski...
257 14 12
This is a story about a 24 year old named Sawyer. A werewolf who was forced to leave his home after his first werewolf shift when he was 18. He journ...
80.2K 4.4K 60
After miraculously surviving a tragic car accident, in which her parents die, Faye is forced to live with her distant relatives in Chicago. The very...