RWBY: Pale Heart

By LVonarch

(F/N) Light was by all accounts a smart kid, he was good at understanding how things worked but when it came... More

Chapter 1: Peers
Chapter 2: First Day Blues
Chapter 3: Short Stay
Chapter 4: My Haven
Chapter 5: Jaded
Chapter 6: Going Downhill
Chapter 7: Et Moriar
Chapter 9: To Set The Stone
Chapter 10: Close Calls
Chapter 11: The Devil On Your Shoulder
Chapter 12: Fail, Fall, And Fate
Chapter 13: Plucking Feathers
Chapter 14: All Things Must Die
Chapter 15: Dragons Never Die
Chapter 16: In The Beginning
Chapter 17: Passengers
Chapter 18: Grimm On A Train
Chapter 19: Cold Welcome
Chapter 20: Bergwerk
Chapter 21: Actions Speak
Chapter 22: Snow And Sand
Chapter 23: Hello Red
Chapter 24: The Darkness Inside

Chapter 8: With Friends Like These

5.7K 149 100
By LVonarch

(F/N) POV

We sat at a long stone table, Salem was seated at the head, Tyrain, a scorpion faunus who didn't seem stable, sat to her left. Across from him was Hazel and next to him was me, there was an empty seat across from me, but to my right was Watts, a noble looking man, and lastly across from him was Cinder, she had long black hair and no sign of any faunus trait. The way she looked at me said she didn't like me, but she refused to say any words, likely because of the aura Salem gives off, one you do not disobey. I didn't say a word myself and just listened, not once was I spoken to, it actually became uncomfortable, then she said something that caught my ear.

Salem: "Cinder, you'll continue your work in Vale with Roman, however prepare your two underlings for entering Beacon."

(F/N): "Beacon?" The pale woman looked at me, Tyrian snickered under his breath.

Salem: "Is there a problem?"

(F/N): "No I just... sorry."

Salem: "If you have something to say. Speak."

(F/N): "Before I went to Haven I attended Beacon."

Watts: "And that has what to do with what we're talking about?"

(F/N): "If her underlings need someone to prepare them or go with, why not me?"

Salem: "It'll be considered." She looks at the others. "You have reported and been informed on what to do next, you're all dismissed." We all go to stand. "Except you Light, I would like a word with you." I sit back down while the others leave, once they've left she stands up and goes over to a window. "Tell me what happened."

(F/N): "At Beacon?"

Salem: "The village."

(F/N): "There's nothing to say."

Salem: "Are you refusing to talk?" My body tenses up.

(F/N): "No, all that happened was death... so there's nothing to say."

Salem: "It would be wise of you to speak freely while you can." I try to force the words out of me.

(F/N): "Villagers... bandits... my team." I said the last word with a venomous sadness. "Raven Branwen though... she should have died there."

Salem: "It must have been painful, seeing the slaughter and blood of those closest to you. To watch as everything you know dies around you, to watch your world-"

(F/N): "Shut it!" I slam a fist on the table and in that same moment I went stiff, that was a mistake, I felt a cold hand grab the back of my neck.

Salem: "I believe you said something, was it a wish for death?" In that moment I felt something run down my face.

(F/N): "Yes... please kill me." She grip weakened. "I failed them..." My version blurred. "Even if I kill Raven... it won't bring them back." I look to her standing beside me. "I don't know what to do." She removed her hand.

Salem: "What do you want other then death?"

(F/N): "I don't know... I spent so many years working on the Cell... I just don't know."

Salem: "You committed your life to one path but now that you've reached its end you can't see the others. Stand up." I do as she says, she walks me over to the window. "What do you see out there?"

(F/N): "Grimm... barrenness... death."

Salem: "I see a part of life, a cycle if you will, a force that keeps the world moving."

(F/N): "What do you mean?"

Salem: "People choose a path to follow, unaware that they are on a larger road they simply cannot see. You have reached the end of one path, you simply need to step off it to see the others, to see what's truly ahead."

(F/N): "Death?"

Salem: "No, life. Many misunderstand destruction, death, and sorrow. They are not evil, they are a part of good, of creation."

(F/N): "How can destruction be good? How can... how can their deaths be good?" She turns to me.

Salem: "Tell me, why don't you live for those that couldn't? Bring destruction that forces others to become stronger? Temper yourself in that sorrow of yours and say 'no one else shall feel this way'? In that light, are they evil?"

(F/N): "I... no, I guess not."

Salem: "Evil isn't a single being or thing, it is a perception." 

(F/N): "But, what do I do?"

Salem: "Do you see Raven as a being of evil? Do you think the people of this world are too weak? If so then you need only work with us."

(F/N): "If I don't?"

Salem: "You are free to leave." She gestures towards the door, I look to it and think before clearing my tears.

(F/N): "Alright." I face her. "I'll make the world better, I'll go back to Beacon."

Salem: "Did I say that's where you'd go?"

(F/N): "No, but if I'm free to leave then wouldn't I also be free to move around as long as I did your work?" She smiles, it's unsettling.

Salem: "Cinder will accompany you back to Vale, but you will be return to Haven with her underlings and one more." I nod and go to the door. "Oh, one more thing." I turn back around to see her standing before with her eyes glowing red. "You should be smart enough not to cross me, correct?"

(F/N): "Yes ma'am."

Salem: "Good, now you may leave."

After I left the room I had to take a breath, not noticing Hazel till he spoke, he showed me to Cinder who was not pleased to see me still standing. Hazel then left, leaving me and Cinder to board the airship, after I told her what Salem said things went silent. The tension in the air grew with each passing moment, it was as though her eyes were seeing all the ways she could kill me. Tired of her looking at me with malice, I went to get us a drink, however when I brought out some tea and poured it she gave it a look of distrust and moved the cup away.

(F/N): "Not thirsty?"

Cinder: "I don't like you."

(F/N): "Okay, that's direct."

Cinder: "If you get in my way." A fire ball appears in the hand she holds up. "I will kill you regardless of what she says."

(F/N): "I'm not going to get in your way so could you try to be friendly?"

Cinder: "No."

(F/N): *sigh* "Whatever." 

And so for the rest of the trip not a word was spoken between us. The ship landed in Forever Fall, a forest outside of the city of Vale, mostly known for its trees with their red leaves, we walked for some time till we reached a camp of White Fang. I let Cinder do the talking as a red short haired man walked up to us, he didn't seem to like me at all just like Cinder. Thankfully I still had the Cell with me in case things went bad, but Cinder, though seemingly reluctant, did talk the man into letting me in. His name was Adam, he led us through the camp to a large tent where we met two humans, a guy with gray hair and the girl with dark skin that bumped into me back on the ship to Haven.

(F/N): "I remember you, but I don't believe you introduced yourself." I go up to her and offer a handshake, which she accepts with a smile.

Emerald: "Emerald, I see you got the notes we left you."

(F/N): "Yeah how did you get those?" She looks over to Cinder. "You know I would have given you my thanks if you had said something."

Cinder: "I don't need thanks from you." I lean to Emerald and whisper.

(F/N): "What is her problem?"

Emerald: "She really doesn't like humans, just give her time."

Mercury: "Mercury. So, you like comics?"

(F/N): "Kind of, more of a movie guy myself."

Cinder: "If you three are done, pay attention." We gathered around the table at the center, displayed on top was a map of the city of Mistral. "You will meet your fourth member here." She points to an area on the map. "You will act as a team and avoid any trouble."

(F/N): "Are we leaving after this?"

Cinder: "Yes, Is that a problem?" She said with complete annoyance.

(F/N): "No... is that it?"

Cinder: "Emerald will bring you to meet our inside man at Haven, you'll work with him to fabricate a story regarding what happened after you left the city."

(F/N): "Got it."

Shortly after that we were dismissed and told to take the airship to the city of Mistral. Without Cinder on board things felt much more comfortable, I even brought out tea and both Emerald and Mercury accepted it. I was seated at a window, looking at the world below me, thinking more about what Salem said. If I destroy Raven would that make the world a better place? No, but making her an example, that would do it. I stopped my train of thoughts when Emerald sat down beside me.

Emerald: "So what you thinking about?"

(F/N): "Nothing, you?"

Emerald: "Wanted to know more about you."

(F/N): "Well... I like long walks on the beach, classical music, and to bathe in the blood of my enemies."

Emerald: "Ah, so you're smart and sarcastic."

(F/N): "Soon that last one will be true."

Emerald: "What was that?"

(F/N): "Huh?"

Emerald: "You said something about 'soon'."

(F/N): "Probably just misspoke, I haven't exact slept since... they were killed."

Emerald: "I'm sure it's hard on you." She places a hand on my shoulder. "Just know we're here for you, we are a team now."

(F/N): "Thanks... wish I knew who else was on my side."

Third Person POV

Salem walks into her room, locking the door she begins to remove her clothes. Her long black dress seemingly slides off her, revealing her bare body. She goes over to her dresser and removes her jewelry, undoing her hair in the process. It falls past her shoulders, she gently touches her the side of her face, still cold to the touch. She lets out an annoyed sigh before going to her large bed, with the covers over her she stares at the ceiling then over to her side where another person could fit.

Salem: "Something about him..." She places her hand on the other pillow, she smiles, it's as wicked as it is genuine. "We'll find out... after he kills Ozpin and destroys Beacon." As she thinks about her victory, over back in the airship (F/N) sneezes.

Emerald: "You coming down with something?" She places a hand on his forehead to check his temperature.

(F/N): "I don't feel sick. Maybe someone is talking about me?"

Emerald: "That old superstition?" He shrugged to her question. "Well let's see how you are tomorrow."

(F/N): "Yeah..." He looks out the window one final time. "Let's see about tomorrow."

Later, when they finally arrived to the city, they bumped into a young girl around the age of fourteen. Though she wasn't that tall, she was quick on her feet and was rather mature and wise for her age. Her white hair slightly went passed her shoulders, it had a single black streak going down it. Her amber eyes had a warmth look to them, her name though brought an odd feeling to (F/N), Iris. The four of them met at the market place near Jade's, (F/N) was going to head with them to the academy, but found himself drawn to the Jade Palace. He told the others he'd meet them at the entrance later, and so he found himself walking into the tea shop, the servers looked at him as if he was someone else, then there was Jade sitting in the back, she gestured him over like she knew he would return.

Jade: "So... I hear Raven Branwen has taken the life of another village." He sat down across from her. "And your team." The way he looked at her caused her to frown just a little. "Tell me, have you heard of the name Salem?"

(F/N): "No... but I have heard it's a name you do not cross."

Jade: "I see. Do you think it's what they'd want?"

(F/N): "No, but do you think Raven deserves to live?"

Jade: "What if I told you someone was looking for her? And that if you were to kill her you'd also be killing the purpose of another?"

(F/N): "I'd say that person can find a new path, like I did."

Jade: "So, how is Tyrian?"

(F/N): "I don't know a scorpion faunus by that name, but I did cross paths with a man who didn't seem stable."

Jade: "That's a shame, so... are you going to kill me?" His eyebrow raises. "I like to think I'm perceptive, and I also think before you walked in you were unsure how I'd react to learning who you now work for. In that moment you decided to play it safe, activate your weapon and currently have a thin wire around my neck."

(F/N): "That's extremely perceptive."

Jade: "Semblances are great like that, the ability to read people as if they're a book... (F/N) Light, don't worry."

(F/N): "What's there to worry about?"

Jade: "Something about you tells me you aren't scared of her, and it's odd, most people are. Hmm... you're attracted to the way she thinks."

(F/N): "You know I'm supposed to stay out of trouble, but I wounder if you are trouble. Are you?" Jade softly laughs.

Jade: "It's been quite some time since someone has had the nerve to threaten me. No, as I said I like to think I'm perceptive, and I can tell just from looking at you that there is no point standing between you and what you want. You've changed after all."

(F/N): "You're right." He stood up. "I have changed." He starts to walk out and deactivates the Cell. "For the better."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2K 528 58
"You took everything away from me... The people I loved, the people I swore to protect with my life... And, to think that I was so foolish to not see...
60.7K 670 40
This is a Ruby X Male Reader, this one starts with a boy, born with the powers of electricity, he uses it to move quickly, uses it to attack, and now...
97.7K 1.2K 11
You're a fan of RWBY but unfortunately, so is this guy who bullies you. One day, an inexpiable accident in the space time continuum leaves god with n...
17.2K 263 42
(y/n), a 17 year old boy in vale, a undercover spy for none other than mommy salami (Salem for people that don't know) his reason for siding with her...