Trapped

By MeldrickCarter

Marianne Marshall is the facilities manager for an expansive high-rise building in downtown Chicago. Working... More

TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE

ONE

243 31 44
By MeldrickCarter

In a darkened mobile home on the outskirts of town, a wheelchair-bound woman sat at a picture window and stared out into the gray dawn. The cold sleet sky that winter morning seemed to reach down and wrap itself around the city, the skyline a brushstroke on the horizon.

The woman just stared. It was all she could do anymore.

He watched her.

On the other end of the home, in a dark overcoat and shrouded in shadow, he stood over a dresser strewn with old newspaper clippings and photos.

The pictures told a story...

A man on the steps of City Hall surrounded by reporters and photographers, holding an emaciated twelve-year-old girl, her sick limbs pulled unnaturally into her body.

The sign for NTX Industries at the company's chemical plant, a skull and crossbones painted over their corporate logo.

AG Announces Investigation Into Alleged NTX Misconduct. An engineer in a hard hat in front of the plant, talking to reporters.

A dour-faced woman in a wheelchair, pointing angrily at her legs, her family standing around her, grave.

Men—some in white lab coats, others in hard hats—dumping drums of waste into the Chicago River, a skull and crossbones on the side of the drums with writing: DANGER-POISON.

Dead fish washed up on the shore.

Boards across windows in an abandoned neighborhood.

A distinguished gentleman in an expensive suit emerging from the back of a limousine, flanked by reporters. NTX CEO Jerrold Manley...

NTX Abandons Controversial Plant. The now-shuttered chemical plant seen through a chain-link fence covered with a NO TRESPASSING sign—acres of empty parking lot, weeds shooting up through the cracks.

Protesters in front of City Hall. A man wielding a lead pipe brought to the ground by baton-wielding police. CEO Manley protected by private security guards, weapons drawn.

An eight-year-old boy in a hospital gown, using a walker in a physical therapy room.

The same boy—healthy, vibrant—smiling in a school picture atop his obituary.

Solemn pallbearers ushering a coffin down the steps of a church. A mother sobbing hysterically.

NTX Plans Chicago Headquarters. An artist's rendering of a new skyscraper. Expansive high-rise slated for completion in fall 1986...

Over the aged clippings, the man lay atop the dresser a large stack of blueprints. He rolled the stack open and scanned them—building schematics for a high-rise—going over details he had long since memorized.

After a while he crossed the messy trailer to his wife. He stroked her hair for a long time. Then he kissed her forehead, tucked the knit blanket around her a bit tighter.

She didn't respond.

He removed her eyeglasses and set them down on a table covered with orange pill bottles and stacks of medical bills. A baseball trophy seemed out of place in the midst of it all, a keepsake from a different time.

On his way out the man passed by another dresser, this one covered with family artifacts and photographs from that different time. There was a house, not a trailer. His wife was not in a wheelchair. And his son...

One of the pictures was a school portrait. The same picture was back on his dresser, above an obituary column as well as an article from the Chicago Tribune dated May 6, 1979: Victim of Toxic Waste Spill Dies.

The man's footsteps crunched over frozen gravel after he left the trailer and crossed the lot to his car, a 1972 Chevy Nova, its blue so faded it was almost gray.

The woman gazed sightlessly out into the trailer park. The Nova started up with a loud rattling, a brittle sound to the engine as it pulled out of the lot and disappeared.

Something moved in the woman's mouth, a mouth from which there was no breath. Out of her slightly parted lips emerged a cockroach, testing the air with its antennae.

The bug crawled up across her lifeless face, making a newhome in her hair.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.8M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
6.6K 502 20
"What do you want from me?" whispered Virat to the person who stood in the mirror. "You" said the person, wickedly. Rohit Sharma x Virat Kohli. highe...
6.7K 605 6
البيت أظلم وبس گلوب واحد مشتغل وضعيف وگوة اشوف عبرت الدرج صعدت جبت القفل أفتح باب الغرفة خليت المفتاح بالباب حسيت واحد واگف وراي ! التفتت ماشفت شيء...
16.3M 545K 35
Down-on-her-luck Aubrey gets the job offer of a lifetime, with one catch: her ex-husband is her new boss. *** Aubrey...