Wicked Game

By northern-typist

You can't trust anybody these days, that's what they tell us. They tell us that the IMF are trouble; but, the... More

I: The World Was On Fire
III: Isn't Desire Strange?

II: No One Could Save Me But You

393 12 1
By northern-typist

A/N: Hello everyone; back again, this time with another chapter (surprising, I know); but I'm so inspired at the moment, and this story is the cause. Anyway, enough rambling, please enjoy this chapter.

//

The last thing she saw before blacking-out; was a pair of piercing green-eyes.

//

Audrey awoke with a gasp; her breath back in short gasps, the sound a constant wheeze. Her lungs burned as she began to cough; spluttering about. Once she had calmed, Audrey's eyes darted around the room she currently lay within. It was dull and drab; a single table next to the open-window, however, the smell of destruction still lingered in the air. She glanced down at her bed and closed her eyes once more; remembering the events that had just taken place. Michael was dead. The Kremlin was gone; this surely wouldn't have gone down well back at Langley. She could imagine Hunley now, pacing about, shouting orders at any poor soul that would listen.

Where in the world was she?

Was Michael alright, if not, was he still alive?

Audrey shivered involuntarily; trying to wish the dark, almost depressing thoughts away. She groaned loudly, feeling a dull pain spread through her body; the impact of the fall, she quickly presumed. Closing her eyes once more, Audrey decided that sleep would probably help; however, this didn't last for too long. A loud-crash caused Audrey to re-open her eyes; she focused her attention upon the noise, and the intruder.

A man stood in the doorway, the hospital gown he wore appeared to be hanging off his sculpted, yet lean figure. He frantically ventured further into the room; his brown hair beginning to fall over his face. As he did enter, however, Audrey froze; she recognized this man, and his piercing green-eyes. She sat up further in the bed, watching the man close the door behind him and stagger over to Audrey's bed. The pair watching each other, both with the same lucid fascination.

"It's-It's you." She stammered, still in shock. "You saved me, how-?"

The man leaned against the bed, resting his body and groaned tiredly; but made sure to keep his gaze upon Audrey.

"What's your name?" Audrey tried cautiously.

"Ethan Hunt." He replied nonchalantly.

Ethan Hunt. Of course, Audrey knew the name; she'd be stupid not to. He was infamous around the CIA, most of the operatives that worked amongst them hated him; they hated the way he operated and evaded the 'bad guys', but not before catching them of course. Audrey often thought that Ethan was more of a hero, then a villain; but she dare not share them, as the consequences would be awful.

Pushing the covers away from her and swinging her legs off the bed, Audrey stood, albeit shakily. She reached for her clothes; which sat on the table by the window. Ethan watched her do this. He moved to stand, occasionally glancing at the door; knowing the Russian Police would be here any second.

"What's your name?" Ethan countered carefully.

"Audrey, Audrey Dunn." She replied quietly.

At the word 'Dunn', Ethan stood straighter; standing to his full height. He began to stretch out his limbs, still maintaining his watch of the hallway outside. Ethan smiled at Audrey, albeit his face a little strained. He then, to give his new acquaintance a sliver of privacy, turned away; opting to stare at the door. Audrey noticed this and smirked, at least he was a gentleman.

"Well then, Audrey, Audrey Dunn; it's nice to finally meet you."

Audrey's eyebrows shot up in surprise; how did Ethan Hunt know about her? She was often one to keep a low profile, realizing that in times like these, it usually worked in her favour. Removing the drab-hospital gown and shrugging on her jeans, Audrey looked around; searching for her shirt. Spotting it on the chair, she grasped it quickly and slid it over her head; wincing as it brushed over her stomach-bruises. Audrey glanced in Ethan's direction and smirked, watching as the Agent fidgeted, anxiously peering through the window.

"You can turn around now." She offered softly.

Ethan spun on his bare-heels, staring at the now fully-clothed Audrey; he noticed the way she held herself, and for someone who had just been covered in the Kremlin, was remarkable. But, before he could admire the blonde any-more, a loud rumble echoed from outside the room; although not another Explosion, it was something similar. Russian Police. Audrey looked over with an alarmed expression; staring at Ethan cautiously. The man caught Audrey's gaze and grimaced; she hadn't any need to ask, Ethan knew what she was thinking.

"That's the Russian Police." He explained, his tone rushed.

"Right, I see." Audrey returned, walking closer to Ethan and peering out of the small-cubbyhole. "And I take it they're after you?"

Nodding, Ethan moved to stand alongside Audrey; watching as the loud-officers neared the room. They were currently checking each room, un-satisfied that they hadn't found Ethan. As Ethan continued to stare, Audrey pushed herself away from the door and started to pull on her once-pristine, white Converse. She tutted, rubbing at the blood; before tying the laces and standing back up. Audrey could hear the shouts grow closer; she knew that Ethan didn't have much time. Rushing over to the open window, Audrey leaned out of it and relished in the cold, almost harsh wind that blew onto her face. She took a deep breath and turned back towards Ethan.

Deep in her mind, she could hear her co-worker's now; they'd call her a traitor for helping Hunt, if she did, that is. Audrey would be shamed, probably kicked out of the CIA; Hunley turning a blind-eye and casting her out onto the streets. Nevertheless, this didn't deter Audrey from her next-few steps; she had made her mind up. Audrey stole one last glance out of the window, before racing over to Ethan and seizing his hospital-gown; quickly dragging him over to the open-window. She caught Ethan staring at her, his green-eyes full of curiosity. This caused Audrey to roll her eyes in return.

"Look-" She began hurriedly. "You saved me earlier, therefore, it's my turn to return the favour."

Ethan's hand clasped around Audrey's arm; watching with a concerned expression.

"I couldn't allow you to do that." He responded softly.

//

BANG, BANG, BANG

//

The pair simultaneously turned to face the door; just as the Russian Police continued their tirade. They were closing in. Audrey placed her hand a-top of Ethan's; staring at him, dead in the eye.

"I'm not giving you a choice Mr Hunt. You saved me, therefore, this is me saving you." She reiterated sternly; ensuring that her word was final.

Ethan watched her for a handful of seconds, hoping to find a source of hesitation in the younger-woman's eyes; there was none. He sighed and gave her a small smile, which Audrey gladly returned. Behind them, the door opened with an almighty-crash; the Police tumbling into the room. However, by the time the Police had entered the room, Audrey and Ethan had already ascended onto the window ledge.

The couple stood, side-by-side, teetering over the edge; Ethan appearing much shakier than before, Audrey, on the other-hand, was trying her hardest not to glance down. Through her sudden rush of adrenaline, she'd failed to remember that she occasionally suffered from vertigo. It hadn't looked too high from inside; oh, how she hated to be wrong. She leaned back and gulped, tuning back to stare at Ethan and the Police officer, who was casually-leaning out of the window; almost as if he was taunting the runaways. He lit a cigarette and smirked, smoking the item with ease.

"Not a good idea."

Ethan bobbed his head, considering the Officer's words; however, without the Officer noticing, had taken Audrey's hand in his.

"It seemed like one a minute ago." He replied, almost breathless.

The Officer smirked, he-too considering the others words, before motioning - with his finger - for the pair to come back into the room. Ethan began to shift along ledge. Audrey, although confused, peeked at Ethan and shifted along, following his lead. The pair stopped, hovering over a large-dustbin; the officer monitoring, the cigarette still in hand. From the street down-below, the sound of an engine could be heard; Audrey recognized it as a car and by the sounds of things, it wasn't far away. She glanced down; noticing that van was starting to move down the street. What she failed to note, however, was Ethan dropping her hand and removing his belt.

"Grab onto me." Ethan commanded in a whisper.

Doing as she was told, Audrey wrapped her arms around Ethan, however; before she could registrar what was happening, Ethan jumped from the ledge and, with his belt hooked onto the telephone-wire, slid down and onto the top of the van. Although, Ethan missed the van, Audrey landed on top; she groaned loudly, but sat up and hurried off the van. She knelled next to Ethan, helping him to his feet; the pair shooting a quick glance to the window they had escaped from. The police officer still-stood, gaping at Ethan; cigarette long forgotten about. As the Officer started off and away from the window, Ethan grasped onto Audrey's hand; the pair running off in the safest direction.

//

Eventually, Audrey and Ethan had found safety (of sorts); along the way, Ethan had obtained a jacket and a pair of shoes, rendering him invisible to those in pursuit. They approached a cafe, where Ethan quickly swiped a mobile-phone; and led Audrey through the back-streets of Moscow. She watched as he placed the phone to his ear. So, this is what it's like to be an IMF agent then, she thought with a smirk.

"SAT 20. Agent 82-Delta-Echo requesting immediate Evac. Rendezvous Alpha 113." Ethan spoke firmly into the device.

Ethan, showing little-sign of emotion, appeared satisfied with the call and as they crossed onto another street, threw the phone into the nearest drain. Audrey moved closer to Ethan; but only to dodge on-coming pedestrians.

"What happens next?" She inquired quietly.

Stopping still, Ethan grasped Audrey's arm - in the same place as before - and stared deep into her eyes.

"This is your last chance, Audrey; once you come with me, that's it. You could walk away now and I wouldn't think any-less of you." He said softly.

Similar to her previous actions, the blonde grasped Ethan's hand; squeezing it reassuringly.

"I'm here to stay; all of my chances flew away the minute I helped you out of that window." Audrey's tone was equally as soft.

They shared a small-smile, before Ethan began to lead her down the road once more. He glanced down at her, as they crossed into another back-street.

"There's just something I have to do first."

//

Audrey wished that she was back in bed; she wished that the Kremlin was still in one-piece. At least then, Audrey knew she would be safe; however, safe was not the phrase she'd use right-now. Ethan seemed a lovely-man; but she sure-was not in the mood for another attack.

Gasping for breath; Audrey swam to the surface of the water, glancing around, searching for Ethan. When she couldn't locate him, her breathing quickened; surely he was still alive? There was no she was leaving without him; they'd made it this far. Audrey embarked further through the water; searching, occasionally going-under but finding it rather difficult. Although, her prayers were suddenly answered; as, from behind, a male-gasp was audible. She swam around, noticing that Ethan was now-above water; another man, whom she vaguely-recognized, swimming beside him.

"Ethan!" She called, waving her arm. "Ethan! Over here!"

Ethan craned his neck, breathing a sigh-of relief as he spotted Audrey; floating, almost gracefully, besides the sunken car. The men swam towards her; Ethan quickly scanning the blonde for any major injuries; once again, he sighed, relived. The trio quickly swam out of the water; away from the prying eyes of the bridge above. Once out of the water, Audrey grimaced; feeling the water soak into her Converse; she was most certainly throwing-these away. Ethan leading, the trio continued through the city; keeping a low profile. Audrey and, the analyst, William, walked side-by side; Ethan up ahead, occasionally turning to check on Audrey. William glanced down at Audrey; he recognized her from somewhere. She caught his gaze and smirked, crossing her arms, raising a sarcastic brow.

"Everything alright, William?" She questioned.

William, cheeks red, coughed awkwardly and averted his eyes.

"Perfect, thank you." He replied, albeit awkwardly. William coughed again. "So, are you an IMF Agent too?"

Ethan, also curious, glanced back; but Audrey simply shook her head, wet, blonde curls flying about. She chuckled quietly; the question causing her a great-amount of amusement.

"I'm a translator." She returned proudly; her job, up until now, had caused her much-joy.

Both Ethan and William appeared surprised; the former the most, he hadn't expected that. From what Benji had told him, he'd imagined Audrey to be an Agent of some form; she certainly had the bravery to be one. The team approached a set of train-tracks; Ethan halting the group.

"We're here."

//

Find the green-car.

Find the green-car.

Find the green-

"It's here!"

The train moved quickly; Ethan struggled to log-back into the IMF's system, the carriage moving-quicker than need-be. Beside him, Audrey and William waited for the signal, all the while trying to avoid obstacles heading their way. As Ethan was accepted, the carriage door opened. William was the first to enter onto the train. Once on, he held his hand out for Audrey; she gladly accepted it and leaped after him. That just left Ethan. Audrey sat back and watched as Ethan jumped on, landing inside with a loud THUD. Looking around, Audrey let out a breathless chuckle.

"Well, what a day this has been."

William groaned, lying back; where-as Ethan caught Audrey's gaze and smirked; their silence, however, was ruined by the sound of rustling. Audrey and Ethan jumped to their feet, ready to intercept the intruders; but Ethan visibly relaxed at the sight of his team. Audrey, however, frowned; focusing upon one-person in particular.

"BENJI?"

Benji lowered his weapon; mostly out of shock. Were his eyes deceiving him, or was his baby-sister really stood before him? He stood, mouth hanging open.

"Audrey?"

Without a moments hesitation, Audrey rushed into her brothers arms; causing him to drop his weapon and wrap his arms around her. The others watched on with a mixture of surprise and confusion; but this all twisted to amusement, as Audrey removed herself from the hug and quickly slapped her brother. Benji held his face, although couldn't find it in him to be angry; he deserved this. Audrey grimaced and bit down on her lip.

"Sorry Benji, but you deserved that. I've been so worried about you." She ranted calmly.

Benji nodded, but soon wore a confused expression of his own.

"Hang on a moment, what the hell are you doing in Moscow?"

Ethan and Audrey shared a small-glance; Benji not catching it, but appearing concerned none-the less. The former moved around the the large-table in the center, next to a fierce-looking woman. Audrey sighed, knowing that her plight wasn't worth the time; they had bigger-problems.

"Another story for another time, we've got work to-do."

Seemingly accepting his sisters words, Benji followed Audrey to the table; William doing the same. They all turned their attention towards Ethan; who glanced around, wearing a grim expression.

"The Secretary is dead."

//

A/N: Thank you all for your kind comments on the last chapter; I'm having so much fun whilst writing this. Let me know what you thought about this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

979 69 28
A faint ticking. You hear it wherever you go. As if there is no end. Is there an escape, or is it just an endless cycle of mystery. Only time will te...
1.1K 212 25
Life comes at us with different tests, different tricks and different obstacles and the more you go through them the harder they get, just like a gam...
1.3K 57 12
Book one of "the Mission Impossible" series 《In which a 16 year old girl named Sara Russi hepls in secret missions with her "not by blood" family O...
48.9K 1.4K 13
Katelyn Taylor thought she knew what she was getting herself into when she agreed to a vacation in Moscow. But life has a way of twisting our plans...