Shot Through The Heart (Sho...

By isabellaburhart

"Even if the stars burn out and our world is falling around us, this is me promising I'll never leave you. (Y... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58

Chapter 22

5.3K 236 253
By isabellaburhart

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."          ~Leopold Stokowski

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Brave Enough by Lindsey Stirling feat. Christina Perri

(Also suggested for you music nerds: Sibelius Violin Concerto in D Minor Op. 47, 1st movement)

----------

Shoto's POV

     Competitor after competitor, concerto after concerto. Unless they were playing piano, all the contestants played with either a piano accompaniment or a small chamber orchestra. All of them were outstanding, from the freshman playing the clarinet to the senior playing the harp. With every performance, I found getting more and more nervous as (Y/N)'s time drew near.

     "You need to calm down, Todoroki!" Iida, who was on my other side, harshly whispered.

     "I'm sorry," I responded. "I just really want (Y/N) to do well."

     "We all do," he answered.

     Suddenly, Midoriya's voice pierced through the applause of the last performance. "Next, we have (Y/N) (L/N) from the Girl's Academy. Look's like she's been playing since she was nine. Wow."

     I didn't realize how fast my heart was beating until now. However, I refused to any signs of my nerves and get chastened by Iida again. 

     On stage, Midoriya cleared his throat. "(Y/N) (L/N)," he announced again.

     Silence.

     Confused, Midoriya looked at the judges below him in the front row. Then he walked back stage, only to come back in a few seconds alone.

     The president of the music organization got up on stage, and took the microphone from Midoriya.

     "If Miss (Y/N) is not here and does not come to take her spot in this competition, she will be automatically disqualified." He gave the microphone back to Midoriya.

     The judges looked at each other, than around.

     The audience began whispering in concern.

     I looked around, then at my friends. I whispered to Uraraka, "where do you think she is?"

    "Oh gosh, I don't know! Please come, (Y/N)!" She clasped her hands together in nervousness.

     Please get here, (Y/N).

     The president muttered something to Midoriya that we couldn't hear. We had an idea though, because Midoriya said "are you sure?"

     The president only nodded, and stepped off stage.

     Midoriya hesitated. "Well, seeing that (Y/N) is not here . . . we will now be hearing from-"

     "Wait!" a sudden girl's voice came from backstage. With it was the sound of running feet.

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     I ran as fast as the heels Nachika had lent me would allow me to. I scurried awkwardly onto the stage with my violin and bow in my hand, out of breath but relieved I'd made it.

     It was only ten minutes until my time slot when my train finally pulled in. On the way, I did my hair and makeup, then I called Nachika to meet us at the station with my dress and some shoes that would match. Thankfully, she did, and I was able to hurriedly change in the subway bathroom. From there, we split up, and I ran all the way with my violin to U.A. High, barefoot with the shoes in my hands. I had just started putting the stupid things on when I heard Midoriya call my name the second time. I had unpacked my violin only seconds ago.

     But now, I was here, standing in the spotlight. I smiled nervously at the judges.

     "Well, better late than never, young lady." The president smiled at me from below.

     Midoriya gave me a wink before he stepped backstage. 

     The spotlight intensified, making the audience grow darker and darker until I couldn't see anything out here. Behind me, the concert master of the orchestra gave me a note to tune to.

     I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I carefully tuned, doing my best to calm down. However, it went by all too fast. When I was done, I have the conductor a nod to start.

    They started, the familiar tune of my accompaniment filling the great hall.

     I was a nervous wreck on the inside, but I intended my first few measures of rest to last as long as possible. Not only was I not warmed up, but I'd never rehearsed this piece with the orchestra before. When I practiced, I only played it to an accompaniment that I found online. Here, at the competition, in front of all these people, I was totally winging it.

     The time came for me to come in. I put my instrument up to my collar-bone, and gently applied my bow to it. The first note was just as I wanted it.

     Now that I had started, I closed my eyes. My piece was memorized cold, and besides this was a strategy I used to focus. When I closed my eyes, it was like all my surroundings vanished, and for all I knew, I was back in the music room at my school. It was like there was nothing, nothing between me and my music.

     I played on, the serenity of my playing resonating throughout the hall. I wanted the music I created to touch some of the hearts out there, to feel what I was feeling, not just hear it. I wanted them to feel my passion, my loneliness, my brokenness, my fear, my anger, everything, from where they were sitting. 

     Images of Shoto flashed in my mind as I played. I was reminded of why I had chosen this piece in the first place. It was because of him, all because of him. I fell in love with him and had to watch him be taken by someone else, and I played this concerto to help express myself. However, that had been for me. I decided right now, that this performance was going to be for him.

     They say music has all the words you want to say, but can't. To some people, I probably seemed like I was pouring out all the emotions I'd ever felt. To others, I probably seemed like a pretty good performer. To my friends, hopefully I was sending chills down their spine. But to Shoto, I wanted to tell him as much as I could that I loved him, even though I knew we couldn't be together. I wanted to show him how much I wish things could be different, or that I could tell him everything. With these thoughts permeating my mind, I could tell that I was playing with colors no one had ever seen.

     Please feel my love, Shoto. I know you're out there listening. I love you. . .I love you. . .

----------

Shoto's POV

     She played as if she was pouring her soul into it. I was mesmerized of how she executed her piece, it was like she was making it her own. She was far more talented that I figured, but there was far more than just that. 

     She had a passion like no other. There were actual feelings in her playing like no other. And the depth of it all was lighting us up inside.

     However, my eyes were drawn to her facial expressions. It was that sadness I'd seen ever since the day I rescued her from the car. She seemed heartbroken.

     The way she played was tearing my soul out. I found myself close to tears as I watched her, my heart going out to her.

    (Y/N), whatever's going on with you, please tell me. I'm going to save you. Just trust me enough to let me do it.

----------

Judges' panel, Third person's POV

     "This kid . . ." the fist judge whispered to the second. "Her passion is incredible. What we're seeing here is hard to find. You rarely see a student put this much heart into their playing."

     The second judge agreed. "She owns this piece, and she plays it like it's a part of her."

     "You'd almost think that playing the violin was her quirk. It's like she was born to do this." The third judge wrote down a few comments on his judging sheet, then looked at (Y/N)'s file on the table. "However, here it says she's quirkless."

     "I think she just proved that you can do amazing things even though you have no quirk," said the first judge. "Damn, how did she not win last year?"

     "There are many other contestants that are worthy of first place," answered the second judge. "After a few more performances, we'll have to come to a decision."

     The first and second judges nodded their agreement.

----------

     (Y/N)'s POV

     I let my musicality build and build throughout the piece, and let it explode like a firework during the climax. I let everything go.

     Finally, with one last flourish of my bow, I played my last note and listened as the echo slowly dissolved into a silence that was too quiet.

     I stood there, holding my bow in the air, breathing deeply, and tears streaming down my face. Whether or not this reached you, Shoto, I'll never know. All I ask is that you remember this night.

    After a few seconds, I put my instrument down and bowed, making the audience go wild with the most applause I'd ever been given. Roses from every direction were landing at my feet.  Still breathing hard, I gave them a glowing smile and wiped my eyes.

     The audience continued to roar as some of the stage lights were dimmed. I was now able to see into the crowd better, so I immediately scanned for my friends.

     There was Kaito, shocked and as pale as a ghost. I saw Nachika and Riku not too far off, applauding with pride written all over their faces. Mikura was probably applauding the hardest, and I realized that she had been the one to first stand up when the clapping started. However, the loudest cheering and the most whistles came from the end of the third row.

----------

Shoto's POV

     Kirishima was jumping up and down, almost out of control. "She's looking at us, guys! Wave!"

     We all waved to her, extremely shook by her performance. 

     I felt so proud of her at that moment, that there was nothing I could even think of to say. I hoped I'd be able to find her afterwards, considering that the whole audience was likely to want to meet her. 

     I just stood there clapping as my friends continued to go crazy.

    "Oh my," Uraraka exclaimed above all the noise. "Todoroki is . . . crying!"

     In a flash, all eyes were on me.

     Crap . . . I thought as I rubbed my eyes, realizing she was right. "It's nothing."

----------

Gosh. . . alright! There we go with the chapter apparently many of you were looking forward to! I hope I did it justice! 

I'd love to know what you thought about this very intense chapter, so don't forget to vote/comment!

Thanks you readers ♥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9K 284 34
Shoto Todoroki and his father, Endeavor, have no idea that Todoroki has a half-sister who is much like him, and yet so different. she can also contro...
235K 6.9K 69
𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐚 (𝙣.) ; 𝙖 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙘𝙚 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙤𝙣𝙚'𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙣𝙜𝙩𝙝 𝙞𝙨 𝙙𝙧𝙖𝙬𝙣, 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙨 𝙖𝙩 𝙝𝙤𝙢𝙚; 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥...
17K 406 11
Izuku's life is a living hell - no wait... even hell is not that bad - He became a shut in because of all the abuse of his mother and the traumatic b...
158K 3.5K 60
Y/N L/N has a pretty powerful quirk and a dream to become a hero just like her older brother. She enters U.A ready to face anything but can she face...