Stronger Than Pain

By WeirderMum

Highest Rank #61 Mum was struggling to breathe, her legs kicking hard as they shuffled on the floor. I pulle... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Hello All
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
I'm Heartbroken!!
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Hello

Chapter Fifty Two

1.5K 255 4
By WeirderMum

*Adaoma*

A sharp knock on the front door had me scampering to it. Aunty Mma, Mum, Zara and myself were seated at the sitting room watching a repeat of The Johnsons on African Magic.

"Who could it be?" Aunty Mma asked sighing at the expected disturbance.

"Ken maybe?" Mum teased laughing. Aunty eyed her and keyed into the laughter.

I grudgingly walked to the door, my mind still fused into Pablo's silly remarks as his words echoed through the verandah. I unbolted the door, quickly twisting and pulling it open.

And there stood grandma.

I swallowed hard, pulling my cheeks backward to force a smile. Grandma was unaffected with the smile as she stared hard at me.

"Won't you greet me?" She asked, a bit warmly.

"Yes... No I will. Good day Mama. Welcome"  I muttered.

She smiled and nodded. "I'm sure your mum is inside" She said walking past me and into the house.
****
Grandma laid down her fork beside her plate on the dining, her eyes dashing round the table, giving each of us a firm but brief look.

"Thanks Mma for the meal" She began forcing us all to stare up at her, with surprise. Grandma is never kind to my aunt, and the fact she even agreed to dine with us was a lot surprising too.

Then she cleared her throat. "Nne sorry, this can't wait till you finish, so we'll discuss as you eat"

I raised my eyes slowly, swiftly moving from grandma to mum. Mum just blinked as she nodded to her mum's request.

"Good" Grandma added, adjusting on her seat.

"Nne as you know, I am not pleased with you, at all!" she began shaking her head left to right with all vigor. "You kept your pregnancy away from me, your mother eh nwa m, Maka gini? (why?)"

Mum was silent, her hands resting beside her plate with the cutleries tossed in it. She was face flat, as though the plate held answers to grandma's question.

"What do you think people would say? That I allowed you to leave your husband's house and have his kids outside his home?"

"Mum, you should have known that I do not care anymore what people say; they can talk and gossip for all I care. The only thing I desire now is my sanity!" Mum replied, forcefully lifting her head off the plate to face her mum.

"Now you have his kids, four of them; what are you planning to do?" Grandma queried.

"Train them!" Mum was blunt.

"For him? So they can go back afterwards?" She paused, searching Mum's expression which she was good enough to keep blank. "Come off it Nneka, this battle no matter how hard you fight it never favors a woman. This is a man's world, and I won't be alive to let you make this mistake" Grandma barked.

"Thank God it is not in your place to decide what I do with my children Mama, I have decided to give them the little I can offer in life...

"Little? When their father can give them the best?"

"So the best to you is money Mama? Beating and killing is also part of the best eh? So my tears are also part of the best nne m (my mother)? Tell me?" Mum exploded.

Zara seemed lost as she stared from mum to grandma, her young eyes seeking for explanation. Aunty Mma had stopped eating, me too. Zara was still holding unto her spoon but from the look on her face, she'd lost her appetite too.

"It's all part of marriage Nneka." Grandma responded. "Do you know why you see everyone smiling on the street? It is because no one wants to say openly what they face in their marriages. No marriage is perfect! Be realistic here. I have been in this union for 49 years, yes and I am much more experienced than you! Wake up Nneka, or do you want another woman to take over your home?"

"They have already mum, they have" Mum answered smiling sadly. "When it becomes routine that your sister in-law and your husband's mistress choose the color of your children's room, the color of your kitchen wall and your husband's office schedule, what else is remaining? Tell me." Mum paused. "When he only comes home when he has nowhere else to go; when he constantly changes women like okirika; when he no longer cares whether you exist or not; when spending thirty minutes with him and having him eat lunch at home becomes a luxury to you, then tell me honestly, what's there left to salvage?" Mum asked in tears. "You know it's always very easy for you to remind me that you have been married before me, you always remind me how many years you have been married, and what I need to do to keep my home. I tell you today ma, I have done everything you said, and you know what, things have gotten worse that I can no longer endure!" Mum was staring hard at grandma. "In the space of three months I was rushed to the hospital in a life saving machine. I have fought for my life mum and today, God has been faithful to have given me another chance and you want me to waste it again in a loveless marriage? Think again mum and please if this is why you are here, then leave!" Mum said, springing up and angrily walking into the room.

Aunty and I packed up the plates, excusing ourselves as we walked into the kitchen.

Grandma couldn't stomach mum's words and therefore joined us in the kitchen. Gently, she approached aunty Mma, asking that she help convince mum to go back to dad.

"Sorry ma I don't actually understand what you want from me" Aunty said walking over to the sink. Opening the tap, she slowly washed her hands, allowing the water run on them.

"You want me to coerce my friend to go back to that killer, that weakling eh?" Aunty asked surprised. "Wait Mama, didn't you bore this woman in question? Didn't you go through labor pains at all? Don't you want to see her alive anymore? Why are you so keen on bringing them back together?" Aunty paused. "It's been almost a year since she left but he hasn't made any attempt to call her or even send her money to take care of the kids....

"That's because he didn't send her out, she left." Mama replied, pissed. "And most men will not look for a woman because they have their ego to massage. Men and women don't reason alike!" Mama added in dad's defence. But at her response, I jumped out.

"So Mama you are saying because of his ego, he abandoned Zara at the hospital even though he knew mum was still semi-conscious? So because of that same ego, he forgot totally about me and Zara? So because of this same ego, both him and his family never cared? What are you afraid of Mama?" I asked.

"It's not good for a woman to leave her home no matter what! It's not good for a woman to answer a divorcee! It's a bad name tag that will not only affect her but her generations unborn. A woman needs to stand and fight for her home, right on her knees! I thought your mum that my dear...."

"And she has been doing exactly what you thought her but how much has that help? It landed her critically in the hospital twice in three months. You were there grandma, she was fighting for her life! I don't want my mum to die! Since she left dad, I have seen her smile more than she has smiled in the many years of being married to my dad. Please grandma, let mum be!!" I said and walked out of the kitchen.

"Fine" Grandma called out as I was leaving. "But please tell her I want to say something to her before I leave". I guess mum heard it since she came out almost immediately.

"Just like you said, it isn't in my place to say what happens in your life now, but I have a request, even if it is the last you would do for me."

Mum was silent.

"I am making this request as a mother, and if you value any of my input in your life, just grant me this request, will you?" Grandma asked

"As long as it isn't going back to him, I guess I will try" Mum said

"Fine! I have arranged for a meeting between us and Emeka's family this Saturday. Please be there with the kids."

Mum's face turned blue. Instantly.

"I have told Stanley  and he insists if you will come, then he will. So did Tobechi say. So everything is in your hands. Please come my dear." Grandma added obviously trying to pacify Mum.

I, aunty, Zara and mum were dumbfounded. All I was thinking was how grandma could pull something like that without letting mum into it, and now she wants to emotionally blackmail her to be in attendance.

"How could you mum? Who asked you to arrange a meeting?" Mum shot back.

"No one. I've realized that left to you, your siblings and your friend here" she said pointing at aunty Mma "you won't even speak to him again, but remember everyone deserves a second, third, fifth and even a hundredth chance. Who knows at which point he would realize his mistake. Give him room to explain. I'm expecting you" She said, rising to leave. Straightening her wrapper, she walked towards the door, but stopped right beside it. 

"And please do me a favor, call your siblings and inform them that you will be in attendance so they can arrange to come as well". She said, pulling the door open and walking out.

Mum felt defeated.
****

Hi hi hi all

(I'm dancing shaku shaku) please forgive me ooo. I know this chapter took a while to come but it wasn't intentional.

I live you all for your support, your messages, your concern and your shout outs. God bless each and every one of you.

So here's a new chapter, do me well by voting and sharing.

Love you all

Weirdermum

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 110 29
I trace my nails on my beloveds stomach, tracing the deep scars which were conceived out of hatred. I look up at him through my lashes "My love". He...
58K 15.2K 42
*******Nigerian Yoruba themed novel******* Meet the family of a rich man Wale Bello with his daughters and thier complicated lives. ------ Were the B...
1.5M 41.9K 57
(WARNING: This is my first story btw. Some parts may be cringe or toxic, but I don't feel like changing anything) I watched as he frustratingly ran h...
275K 9.4K 57
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐀 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐎𝐧π₯𝐲 π’πžπ«π’πžπ¬ β˜…β˜…β˜… "Stop moving and stay still." "Then tell me where we are going then," I replied, getting annoye...