Dog Days: Book One

By Crimson_Graves

BOOK ONE She had her whole life planned. What she didn't plan for was the zombie apocalypse. Eighteen-year... More

IMPORTANT
Dog Days
Cast
Part One
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
Part Two
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
Part Three
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Sequel: Rabid Nights
~Fanworks~
Playlist
BONUS CHAPTER #1
BONUS CHAPTER #2

14

3.4K 237 430
By Crimson_Graves

A loud clap—as if two metal pans were thrust together at maximum speed—reverberated all around Arryn. The sound carried, whizzing past her ear in a gust. Strands of her hair flew in different directions at the sudden breeze.

The clap faded, leaving behind a low whimpering.

She peeked an eye open. The Doberman convulsed on the ground, a fresh bullet hole lodged in its skull. Pale saliva foamed from its mouth, rapidly spreading along the creature's blackened lips and onto the concrete below. After a moment, the movements stopped.

"Arryn?" A familiar voice called out behind her.

"It can't be," she muttered, her voice swept away in the breeze.

Cold droplets pelted her skin. It started slow, the rhythmic droplets plinking metal and splatting concrete filling the parking lot. The continuous sounds drowned out the distant screams and car alarms.

She hesitated, wondering if the voice she heard was truly there, or if this was all some twisted fantasy her mind conjured to shield herself from reality. A reality where the Doberman had been victorious.

"Arryn!" The voice grew closer.

Thunder boomed.

A tug on her shirt made Arryn jump. Looking down, Trinity pulled at the fabric, desperation plastered on her face. "That lady is calling you."

Arryn swallowed hard, following Trinity's pointed finger. Pressure swirled in her chest. Could it really be her? No. It can't be. The swelling balloon of hope sprung a leak and deflated just as quickly as it came. She couldn't handle false hope now. Not after everything she'd been through. What little fight she had left dangled by a thin, fraying thread.

Her sights fell on two figures, one male and one female. The male had a gun pointed in Arryn's direction while the female held her gun down by her hips. A look of recognition stared back at Arryn in the girl's brown eyes.

"Claire?" Arryn gasped, pinching her arm as reassurance that this wasn't a mirage.

Claire raced across the parking lot, reaching Arryn in seconds. Arms wrapped around her body like a snake constricting its prey. Every muscle ached at the added pressure.

Pulling away, Claire smiled wide. "I didn't think I would see you again."

"I-I thought you died," Arryn whispered.

She took in Claire's appearance. Blood trickled from a nasty gash on her friend's forehead. The skin around it already turning a deep purple. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail with some blood matting a few loose strands to her face. Droplets of either rain or tears rolled down her cheeks. The faded, green tank top had ripped in a few places, exposing cuts and bruises underneath.

"You should know I'm too stubborn to kill." Claire let out a forced laugh. Her smile quickly faded.

Arryn looked past her friend at the other figure standing beside the white SUV.

"Is that... Austin?" She squinted. The drizzle had picked up speed, making it harder to see him.

"Yeah. We may have crashed into each other... literally." She pointed to the wound on her temple. "A Rabid snuck into his backseat and he fought it off when driving. Good news is the Rabid didn't make it. Bad news is we totaled his car. So, he's stuck with us now."

"Rabid?" Arryn asked confused. She looked past Claire's shoulders to catch a glimpse of Austin.

His hands were tightly wrapped around a small handgun. He appeared vigilant, scanning the open area for danger. Strapped around his waist was a sort of utility belt, holstering various weapons. What looked to be spare ammo overflowed the pockets of his cargo pants. Rain washed away the blood from his wounds.

"It's what the media is labeling these things." Claire pulled a damp strand of hair out of her face, wincing when her fingertips brushed against the bruised skin of her forehead.

"Oh." Concern bubbled inside Arryn. "Are you both okay?"

"A little banged up, but we'll manage." Claire's eyes drifted down to Trinity. "Who's the kid?"

"This is Trinity," Arryn said, placing a hand on the young girl's shoulder. "We met in the hospital."

"That's a cool name." Claire offered Trinity a smile, leaning down level with her. "My name's Clarice, but my friends call me Claire."

Trinity pulled her teddy bear close to her chest, keeping quiet.

"How did you find me?" Arryn asked.

She could tell Trinity wasn't in the mood to talk at the moment. Not after what she witnessed. Arryn knew she wouldn't be either if she had witnessed that at such a young age. Then again, Arryn was surprised that she herself hadn't shut down yet. Sure the kid kept her going, but for how long? At least a familiar face was back in the picture. And maybe... just maybe her father was okay.

Claire broke her sights away from the kid and turned them on Arryn. "Sheer luck, or a miracle, you take your pick. Austin pulled into the parking lot, and we were getting ready to park to scour the hospital when we saw you leading Trinity away. Seems like we found you just in time."

Salt washed over Arryn's tongue. She blinked, releasing a few more stored up tears that had slipped out. Was this her sign from up above? It sure felt like a miracle.

"Hey ladies," Austin called from a distance. "Hate to cut the reunion short, but we should get going. The neighboring zombies are getting bored with their to-go order.

"He's right. Let's go," Claire said.

They walked the short distance to the vehicle and loaded in. Quiet fell between them as Claire drummed her fingers along the wheel. The hum of the motor and the faint blowing of the circulating air waited for one of them to speak.

"Where do we go?" Austin asked.

"My dad," Arryn said. "I need to see...I need to know he's okay. He hasn't answered my calls."

"Join the club," Austin replied.

Arryn's heart dropped. She'd forgotten about Austin's family staying in Florida. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." He sighed. "I just wish... Nevermind. It doesn't matter now."

Arryn could see the hurt behind his eyes—the regret. He'd been mad at them two days ago. And now he may never talk to them again. Was it worse not knowing what happened? At least she knew what happened to Lincoln and her mother. She didn't have to speculate like she did with her father... like Austin did for his family.

Claire shifted the SUV in drive and they started forward.

"How did this spread so fast?" Arryn asked after they passed the group of Rabids attacking the car. The man inside was nothing more than strings of flesh and bone. She shuddered, turning away from the window. "I've seen things on the news, but the people at the hospital... I didn't see bite marks on some of them. How did they turn?"

"After Sonny, I did some research," Austin started. "It's some kind of mutated form of the rabies virus. They've been recalling certain meats and pet foods. Apparently, some animals became tainted with the mutated virus, and unlike the regular common strain, it can't be cooked out."

Trinity's words flashed in Arryn's head. Daddy bit Mommy. He had a tummy ache yesterday.

"So people are ingesting it, getting sick, and then turning?" Arryn asked.

"That's what it seems like. It would explain why so many people are turning in such a short time span."

"What if... what if we are all infected already?" Arryn's voice rose as panic took hold of her. "Somehow Josie got infected. I ate at the same restaurant she did. What if...what if... what..."

It felt like a snake had wrapped around Arryn's throat, constricting her windpipe. She couldn't breathe. Purple spots danced across her vision as muffled voices shouted her name. The world closed in on her.

She could be infected. They all could be infected. She didn't want to turn into one of them.

Something wet and cold splashed her face, snapping her out of her thoughts. Her airway opened up slightly as the purple dulled from her sight. Austin stared at her with furrowed brows.

"Is she okay?" Claire asked behind the wheel.

Arryn's breaths came out in short gasps.

"Keep driving, she'll be okay," he ordered. "Arryn, I need you to try to slow down your breathing. Okay?"

She nodded, digging her nails into the cushioned seat. Droplets of either water or sweat dripped from her jaw. She closed her eyes, but it didn't help. Flashes of everything —the deer, the dog, Lincoln— played on repeat in the darkness.

What if you ate it? Is your stomach hurting? Was that pang of hunger for food or for something more...

"Stop!" She panted, opening her eyes. Her breath picked up speed again. "Make it stop."

Austin placed his hand on her shoulder. "Arryn. Look at me."

She did. His blue eyes waited for her, appearing calm and collected despite everything. But beyond the surface shone a boy who had regrets. She could see the worry-- the terror buried deep within.

Her breathing slowed.

She wasn't alone in her tragedy. Everyone in the vehicle had a story to tell. It was time for her to put her brace face on, if only temporarily. She could fall apart when they were safe.

"If you and Josie ate at the same restaurant and were infected at the same time, don't you think you would already be zombified?"

Austin's question drove away the remaining panic, lifting the anchor embedded in her stomach.

"I-I guess," she uttered.

"We stick together and get through this, okay?" His eyes bore into hers, waiting for affirmation.

She nodded.

He took a napkin out of the cupholder and handed it to her

"What's this for?" she asked.

"I uh... I splashed some water in your face to snap you out of your episode. Sorry."

"Oh, thanks." She dabbed away at the lingering droplets on her cheek.

Her attention drifted out the window. The rain was just starting here. A grey tint colored the atmosphere. Gone was the sunny day that she woke up to. A dreary day of death had taken its place.

The stretch of land they passed appeared normal. Cars sat parked on the side of the road or in their driveways, all seeming at peace. As if zombies weren't infiltrating the town.

But rounding a corner, the chaos came to light. One house had been set ablaze. Wild flames devoured the structure while thick, black smoke plumed skyward. Abandoned cars blocked lanes of the roadway with their alarms blaring and hazards flashing.

Claire pulled the SUV onto the sidewalk to maneuver past two cars that had crashed into one another head-on. Blood splattered the windshield.

Arryn turned away when she saw what lay past the shattered driver's side window.

Claire brought the SUV off the sidewalk and back on the asphalt. She reached over and flicked on the radio. The speakers blared static, crackling and popping throughout the entire car.

Claire turned the dial. An ear-piercing alarm silenced the static. The alarm repeated three times before carrying on with an announcement.

This is an emergency broadcast. A nationwide rabies virus epidemic is in effect. Please seek immediate shelter and avoid contact with infected humans and animals, known as Rabids. This is not a drill. Infection is spread through bodily fluids and bites. Bitten victims should be isolated to prevent further infection. The infected have proven to show inhuman strength along with heightened speed. Do not try to engage the infected in combat. A cure is coming. Stay safe and patient.

The announcement repeated several times before Claire shut the radio off.

A few minutes later, Claire pulled into Arryn's driveway.

"We're here," Claire said. She turned around to meet Arryn's eyes. "Do you want me to come with you?"

Arryn glanced out the window. The area looked clear— untouched by the monsters roaming the streets.

"No, keep the car running." She closed her eyes. "I need to do this myself."

"Arryn, we just found you. We should stick together." 

"Claire, I have to do this alone." Arryn clenched her fists. "I just have to."

"Here take this, " Austin said, handing her a gun. "I get it." He offered her a nod.

"Thanks. If I'm not back in five minutes..." she trailed off.

"We'll come and get you," Claire finished. Arryn could see the worry in her eyes. "Be safe, okay?"

"Alright. Trinity, stay here with these nice people okay?"

"Okay." She nodded, her eyes never leaving the green teddy bear in her lap.

With a deep breath, Arryn exited the car. She walked up the familiar stone steps, feeling nothing but anticipation boiling inside her. Reaching the door, she paused, preparing herself for what she may find.

She closed her eyes and turned the knob.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

648 32 24
[Part 1 COMPLETE] Juliet and Aliyah get partnered up for a school project. On that same day, a "zombie" outbreak breaks out at their school in Seattl...
3.3K 347 25
Z-Virus Book 1 It was the second week of July, the first day of school when a plague has started to spread inside Cester High, a private school locat...
22.3K 2K 51
Against all odds, Em has found protection in Carnelian but time has taught her something is always around the corner and she knows better than to dro...
29.1K 827 48
Infected. They plagued the city, the people and nowhere was safe. How do you live in a world where every breath could be your last, one bite could ta...