The Sky's the Limit

Від dawndwrites

Nicole Dunbar and Skyler Pennington. The swoon-worthy, Skyler Pennington, becomes the CEO of his father's int... Більше

|One|
|Two|
|Three|
|Four|
|Six|
|Seven|
|Eight|
|Nine|
|Ten|
|Eleven|
|Twelve|
|Thirteen|
|Fourteen|
|Fifteen|
|Sixteen|
|Seventeen|
|Eighteen|
|Nineteen|
|Twenty|
|Twenty-One|
|Twenty-Two|
|Twenty-Three|
|Twenty-Four|
|Twenty-Five|
|Twenty-Six|
|Twenty-Seven|
|Twenty-Eight|
|Twenty-Nine|
|Thirty|
|Epilogue|
Natalie |Beyond Heights|~ Publishing Date
⭐️Thank You⭐️

|Five|

5.8K 334 48
Від dawndwrites

Skyler

*****

I met Nicole at the Airport on Thursday morning. I had sent my driver to pick her up after he dropped me off. I had to get there early to change our tickets, and handle some other business. I knew this was the last minute for her, and I wanted to give her extra time to get ready.

It feels like hurricane force winds, accompanied by a torrential downpour of rain. I don't know where this storm came from, it wasn't forecasted. Our flight might get delayed or worse, canceled. The wind was blowing hard on my face as I exited the SUV. I got soaked getting my luggage out of the cargo area. "Be careful getting, Miss Dunbar!" I yelled to the driver, my voice carrying through the wind.

I entered the airport shaking off the water that had me drenched. As I had suspected, our flight was delayed. Great, just what we needed!

*****

"Skyler!" I heard a female jubilant voice call my name, waving frantically at me like a little kid. It was Nicole, with the biggest toothy grin on her wet face. Her hair was soaked. There was a puddle of rain water from her umbrella, and she wore bright yellow rain boots.

"Why are you so happy, Miss Dunbar?" I walked over to her. She was weighing her huge suitcase, with a wide grin that I couldn't suppress. She makes me laugh.

"What do you have in that thing? Your whole apartment?" I shook my head, and put my hand on the back of my neck.

"You had better mind your manners, before I put you in my suitcase." She grinned up at me. My momentary feeling of something, caught me by surprise. I ignored it, and kept my focus on her heavy baggage. She was going to pay a fortune for that ridiculous suitcase.

One of the baggage personnel put her bag on the scale. "Miss, is it possible for you to take some things out of your suitcase? It's way over the limit. Or you can purchase a small carryon bag and put some of your items in there." He tried to be helpful.

Nicole looked at me with a frown. "What do you suggest I do now? Do we have time to go purchase a carryon from one of the airport stores?"

"Absolutely not. . .I will pay whatever expenses you incur because of your gigantic suitcase. I'm not here to go shopping, and then transfer your clothes into another bag." I felt bad, but I wasn't trying to miss our already delayed flight.

"I'll pay you back when I get my first paycheck." She offered sweetly.

I waved my hand, dismissing her thought. "That's not necessary, but thank you for offering. Let's go get on line to go through security." This was one of the most crowded days that I've seen at the airport in a long time.

She grabbed my arm and looped hers through mine. "This is my first time flying, you know? I've never been outside of Texas." She shared with me and now I understood her extreme exuberance. She was ecstatic to be at the airport, like we were on an adventure.

No wonder she wasn't bothered by the airport experience. I hate it, but I also travel a lot. But being around her makes me not mind so much.

We waited for our flight departure information, and sat in the area for our gate. Nicole sat by the window looking at the airplanes taking off and landing. Something about her is so unique, and endearing. I enjoy watching her antics.

I put both of my hands on either side of my mouth. "Nicole!" I yelled to her, with my voice amplified to get her attention.

We were called to start pre-boarding for first class passengers. I had both of our tickets in my hand and had them scanned. I passed her ticket to her.

Nicole looked at her ticket for the first time. "First Class, no way?! I have to take a picture and send it to my auntie. By the way, she is taking care of Princess for me." She hit my arm and shook it excitedly.

It was thrilling for me to see this experience, through her eyes. She kept looking around the cabin and feeling the comfortable leather seats once we boarded the airplane. She sighed with a contented smile and kept extending her legs with the extra room, and stretched out her arms. She was so giddy.

"This is crazy! Do you fly first class all of the time?" She was buzzing in my ear, leaning over and staring into my eyes, excitedly. I couldn't help noticing the beautiful color and shape of her chocolate eyes. My pulse actually quickened. I didn't expect that.

"Pretty much. . .I guess I take it for granted." I folded my hands, while watching her practically bouncing up and down in her seat.

"Let's take a selfie," she fluffed her damp long curly locks and applied lipstick. She eagerly held her cellphone up at a perfected angle, leaning her head against mine. She took the picture and looked at it. She showed me to make sure we both liked it.

She was texting away with both thumbs and sent the picture to someone.

"I hope you didn't post that on Instagram or Facebook." I glanced at her pretty face.

"What are you going to do, if I did? You should post it, you'll probably get a ton of
likes." She was right, there was nothing I could do.

I get such a kick out of her, since we first met that day at Shayne and Sabine's wedding.

"Let me see your phone? I just sent you the picture." She grabbed my phone from my hand and posted the picture on my Instagram and Facebook apps, without asking.

My phone went crazy with notifications. . . I got over 100 likes and 20 loves within one minute. She sat there with an I told you so look on her face.

My cell phone buzzed, I got a text from Shayne Carrington.

Shayne ~ Nice pic, bro. Are you two dating now?

Skyler ~ No. . . I'm flying with her to Savannah. I'm going for business and she's going to spend time with her family.

Shayne ~ You guys look like a couple. Sabine loves the photo. She's rooting for you and Nicole.

Skyler ~ We are just friends. I know it's hard to believe, under the circumstances. I definitely like her, as a friend that is.

Shayne ~ Well, keep us posted. Enjoy Savannah!

Skyler ~ I'm going to look at properties and houses. Unfortunately, Nicole's grandfather passed away. I'm going to attend the Memorial Service, to support her.

Shayne ~ Please give her our condolences. I'll talk to you soon.

Skyler ~ Thanks, I will. I'll keep in touch when we get there.

After I ended my text dialogue with Shayne, my notifications from Facebook and Instagram were endless. I had gotten comments galore, even from my two brothers. Everyone wanted to know who this gorgeous girl was, that I was dating?

"Nicole you just started a huge rumor mill. Everyone thinks we are dating. Even my family!" I knew she was going to be a handful, when I first met her. She just looked at me sheepishly, and blushed for days.

"Shayne Carrington, said to give you their condolences." Somehow I wasn't really upset, like I thought I would be. Let them think what they want. I put my phone on silent, and decided to change the subject.

"Really? Shayne Carrington, said that to me?" She stared at me without batting an eyelash.

"Yes, he did. He's my friend and sent me a text about our selfie. I told him that your grandfather passed away, and I'm attending his Memorial Service with you in Savannah." I met her gaze, and now my heart made a weird fluttering sensation, briefly. Maybe we're flying through some turbulence.

I moved the conversation along. "We're going to have a car meet us at the airport in Georgia. I'm going to take you to your grandma's house. She gave you her address, without a phone number. I'm sure she was expecting you to come." I covered her hand with mine, and felt her ring. I looked down, and it was a wedding band. I thought she said she wasn't married?

"I guess you're right. My grandpa's Memorial Service is only two days away. Where will you stay?" She inquired thoughtfully.

"I have hotel accommodations. I'm going to look at a few houses for my family. I'm meeting with a realtor today. One of the houses is located on your grandma's street, actually. How about that?" I turned to find her looking out of the window, as I was putting my laptop away.

"Earth to Nicole! Are you even listening to me?"

"I'm sorry, yes. I'm just so fascinated that we are literally flying through clouds right now. They look so different when you are standing on the ground looking into the sky. All you see is soft white puffy masses in various shapes floating through the sky on a clear day. My auntie always told me, The Sky's the Limit to my dreams." She spoke while reminiscing.

"That is very true, you have a wise auntie. . . . I couldn't help noticing your gold band on your finger, are you married?" I had to ask her, it was gnawing at me for some reason.

"This was my mama's wedding band. My father left if for my aunt to give to me when I got older. It's the only thing I have of hers. I wear it everyday and never take it off." She sadly stated, avoiding my gaze. I could tell her eyes were watery, without even looking.

I bent my face down, touching my forehead to hers. "I didn't mean to upset you, I remembered you had told me that you weren't married. So, when I noticed the gold wedding band. . ." For some reason I breathed a silent sigh of relief.

"I'm glad you asked, I can imagine the confusion. But it is on my right hand and not my left." Then, she put distance between us and she smiled up at me. It was the most captivating smile that lit up her whole face like a sunrise.

She sighed and leaned back in her chair. "I'm nervous to meet my family, alone. Can you come with me?"

"Why don't you come with me to look at houses? Then, I'll drop you off at your grandmother's house. I'll even bring your huge bag in for you. I'm always happy to help a damsel in distress." I joked with her. She smacked me on my arm.

"Fine, I'll come with you and then you can come with me." She made a deal with me. I had no problem agreeing, I'm amazed at how comfortable I am around her. She and I were becoming fast friends.

*****

                                               Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

84.6K 6.4K 44
Infertility! A simple word but can create havoc in a woman's life. Specifically, if that said woman's husband is having an affair with his long-time...
With Abandon(BWAM) Від Jasmyn

Жіночі романи

326K 14.2K 26
Daniel Watts is a widowed father of two, Gianna and Grant. After five years of being on his own, Daniel decides to hire a live-in nanny to take care...
10M 468K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
136K 9.3K 51
The last thing millionaire Miami lawyer Jonathon Berrington wanted to do this evening was parade across the stage at a charity ball to be auctioned t...